Unholy DK 8.3 PVE Help

Good Morning All

I’m coming back to mythic raiding scene for 8.3 but am slightly lost for build/talents, essences, azerite traits, stats.

Anyone got some information on 8.3 and what most are looking to go for in the upcoming patch.

Currently I'm playing with Unholy Frenzy/Soul Reaper which has been the staple for this expansion so far but was wondering if due to the abundance of secondary stats and corruption gear with %increase of haste might we see a comeback for Gargoyle, PP and Sudden Doom build?

Let me know your thoughts and what you will be going for in the new patch
    Many thanks,

I don't think our loadout will change a lot. Essences will with Purification Protocol buffed and overall more useful, Condensed Life-force nerfed and Spark of Inspiration being pretty much mandatory in a minor slot but aside from that I'll probably leave my talents unchanged unless there's major surprises.
    Last edited by Galathir; 2020-01-07 at 02:48 PM.

Mythic raiding? Nobody can know what will be best for unholy or other specs.

As in general frost did much better in progression and there is no indication for the shift of a dominant spec. Right now unholy is not even seen as a competitive DPS spec in raiding, while frost is a good progression raid spec.

Gargoyle/AotD/UF are allready pretty close and with the 8.3 Vision buff and easy to get raid azerite traits AotD seems good on paper, but it requires a high uptime and that might be not that great with raid encounters. The 2/3-min cooldown specs don't need that requirement and thats with the assumption that unholy is tuned competitive (it is not).
    -

We'll see some more solid guides and opinions being formed over the next two weeks, but its currently looking like Vision of Perfection will take over the Major essence slot (if you have 2 or more Magus traits) in light of Condensed Life Force nerfs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustaclut0 View Post
    Currently I'm playing with Unholy Frenzy/Soul Reaper which has been the staple for this expansion so far but was wondering if due to the abundance of secondary stats and corruption gear with %increase of haste might we see a comeback for Gargoyle, PP and Sudden Doom build?
    Extra stats don't help worse talents become better without buffs to those talents.
    Gargoyle is always gonna be bad this expansion unless they actively buff it.

Thanks for the feedback guys

Personally I enjoy the playstyle of Unholy more then Frost but if its a HUGE difference I will spec into frost.

Cheers,

Fury is looking SO strong next tier I would not swap unless it's because you hate your warrior and enjoy DK more.

Also not sure if this is allowed here but on EU DK forums I also posted this and got a good response from a decent player:
    https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...ve-help/117613
    Last edited by Rustaclut0; 2020-01-08 at 09:02 AM.

Frost is one of the best single target dmg specs right now, and they have some of the largest aoe burst... they just do so much dmg in their cooldowns (breath, frostwyrm's fury, etc). Frost DK shines on longer trash pulls (30-40 seconds), as you can have breath for that entire pull). Because frost depends so much on their cds, they will generally be better when you have a planned route, and your cds line up with the big pulls. Also Frost dk has pretty good defensive cds (ibf, ams, and deathstrike procs)
    Last edited by beffon; 2020-01-19 at 09:32 PM.

I'm looking @ some of the top DK's Noggah and Babyjace for advice and both are saying Frost is most likely going to be the best... sad

Are you reading stuff in the DK discord? Tbh, advice from there brings a better overall picture of how the class is looking going into Nyalotha, at least most claims are supported by logic and sims. UH was definitely viable in EP, the encounters in general were just a better fit for BoS frost.

UH is definitely competitive as it is looking to scale insanely well with haste, bringing VoP + 3x Magus traits + AotD as the preferred ST spec. BoS Frost is strong as usual, but is likely locked to Font/Coral which means it won't upgrade to trinkets from the new raid = doesn't necessarily scale as well into the very late game. A full crit Icecap build is looking to beat BoS on ST, but it requires high uptime and its usefulness is therefore difficult to predict in actual raid settings.

I'm definitely going with UH, it wasn't bad in EP and it definitely won't be in Nyalotha.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihiel View Post
    Are you reading stuff in the DK discord? Tbh, advice from there brings a better overall picture of how the class is looking going into Nyalotha, at least most claims are supported by logic and sims.
    Would you mind linking? I feel like I can't find DK info anywhere regarding 8.3.

Quote Originally Posted by Toroc View Post
    Would you mind linking? I feel like I can't find DK info anywhere regarding 8.3.
    This should be the discord link:

https://discord.gg/acherus

And if you go to wowhead and look up the UH DK guide, it's by Biceps, who is a big contributor to the discord and usually has good info, and the guide has been recently updated.

Thanks for the info Nihiel I will play Unholy as there is a frost DK in my raid team as well so will be more fun to see the difference :P

It also depends what type of raiding are you doing.

Are you top 500? Play the best class/spec (you should probably have a couple of them decked out anyhow)
    Are you doing a 2-day Mythic progression? Play the best spec
    Are you Heroic-only guild? Play what's fun

It all comes down to what you find more fun to play and how you can enjoy using your class to the fullest. If you're going hardcore raiding, people don't play what's fun, they play what's best. (but I guess you don't fall in that group as you've posted here, no disrespect)

Well we normally end rank 700-800 mythic 3 day raiding...

To be honest after raiding last night im going to play unholy regardless... I'm playing VOP with AOD and to be honest having 1 less bloody global to press before I start my rotation.

I really hope they remove the global cooldown, its so frustrating having to do Font>Army>Pre port>DT>Apoc>UF>SoulReap>Rotation... at least with AOD it removes 1 of the above and makes my rotation a bit smoother.

Fury is looking SO strong next tier I would not swap unless it's because you hate your warrior and enjoy DK more.

Also not sure if this is allowed here but on EU DK forums I also posted this and got a good response from a decent player: