High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

How would WoW handle an arcade mode?

Now don't freak out quite yet. I'm not suggesting we turn the game into an arcade game.

But, with the dwindling population (speculation) this "small" added feature could massively alter the game experience and catch new players to go along with it. Reason I thought of it is that a lot of my friends, and quite possibly other people as well want to play the game, they just can't find the time (or motivation in some cases) to do the grinds to be able to play at their desired levels so they constantly find themselves chasing gear/essences, you name it, in order to be able to play the game, which means they more often than not end up playing something else. I usually end up playing MOBAs when I play with these friends as they are easier to pick up and play.

Ever since release the game has more or less (with a few exceptions) had the mantra of doing something unpleasant to be able to participate in something pleasant and rewarding, but since this mode skips the unpleasant part there's no end of fun gratification, just the fun that comes with playing the actual game. Let's face it, no ones really upset that they aren't getting loot, they are just jealous that others are receiving. Killing bosses, making timers and winning games is what should really matter.

So I thought -> How bad/good would it be for the game if a side-feature was added? -> Allow people to queue up for Arcade/Standardized mode!

Content: Mythic keystones (5-man required), Arena (team-queue 2s/3s/4s/5s, maybe duel?), BGs (solo-queue 5s/10s, teamqueue 5s/10s).
    Achievements: Yes. Ratings. Some sort of raider.io incorporated for PvE, regular ratings as exists for PvP.
    Loot/rewards: Maybe equal end of season rewards to the actual game, but apart from that, none what so ever.
    Gear/features available: Either (1) All, as you pick or (2) predetermined and/or templates.

I'm a bit unsure what would be best, leaning templates, but unlocking everything is how discoveries are made as to new ways to play. I know this completely butchers the RPG element, but let's face it, this mode would primarily be to catch those that either can't play big hours or don't want to grind their ass off, but still want to play at a reasonable, if not top, level.

I'm curious if this draw players or not. I have a feeling at least PvP-ers would swap instantly. Serious key stoners ( ) as well.

What do you reckon? Would you play this? Would you rejoin the game? Would you "swap" from regular mode? Do you hate it?

Oh. Before anyone asks; yes, still subscription.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think custom arcade mode is a cool idea and ive wanted something like it for a while. Blizzard should release the dev kit and world editing tools for WoW. They did it for warcraft so i think its totally possible to do the same with WoW.

Well, Tournament realms already exist, so... not much a stretch, if at all.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denso View Post
    Now don't freak out quite yet. I'm not suggesting we turn the game into an arcade game.
    You got me all excited for a minute. I would love to see WoW go from it's current mobile game design to an arcade game, would be quite the improvement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathpath View Post
    I think custom arcade mode is a cool idea and ive wanted something like it for a while. Blizzard should release the dev kit and world editing tools for WoW. They did it for warcraft so i think its totally possible to do the same with WoW.
    Yeah.. never going to happen. Giving people the tools to comprehensively learn how the world is made/generated etc would lead to a tidal wave of exploits and botting software.

prob only if you could use any char with any level and any gear and it gets upscaled to max.

So leveling trough it and gathering gear for max level would be possible. Otherwise i think it could be a Feature but, seeing how "stale" it could get trough repeatedly doing the same thing, i think it would more likely end as a niche feature then anything else.

So the chances of something like this happening are more then just slim.

For me for example it would be an instant no, because i like to have things on my char that i regularly use and not on some kind of "Tournament Realm"

Quote Originally Posted by Deathpath View Post
    It's all fun and games till people start making boners and swastikas.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.