Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Were allied races justified? Have they a major revenue source from WoW for Blizz?

What are statistics should you look for? The only thing I can think of is

1. People who brought BFA and played the expansion because of Allied Races primarily
    2. Everyone who paid for a character race or faction change to or because of an allied race.

Any other things that might contribute to this?

In your opinion how much additional revenue do you feel they have generated?

10+ Year Old Account
    I realize people on this forum have a penchant for talking out of their asses, but how on earth are we supposed to know how much revenue allied races have generated? We don't work in Blizzard's financial department.

This is the kind of thing you can't even ballpark really, there's just too many variables and unknowns.

To answer your other, less-impossible question, yes they were justified - the game suffers from a terrible lack of customization and they've been impossibly stingy with new races/customizations. We haven't gotten new hairstyles for the original races since Wrath for crying out loud.

Whatever you think of their implementation, As of 8.3 Allied races will have nearly doubled the options we have when creating characters. That in and of itself justifies their existence.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-01-10 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I realize people on this forum have a penchant for talking out of their asses, but how on earth are we supposed to know how much revenue allied races have generated? We don't work in Blizzard's financial department.

This is the kind of thing you can't even ballpark really, there's just too many variables and unknowns.

To answer your other, less-impossible question, yes they were justified - the game suffers from a terrible lack of customization and they've been impossibly stingy with new races/customizations. We haven't gotten new hairstyles for the original races since Wrath for crying out loud.

Whatever you think of their implementation, As of 8.3 Allied races will have nearly doubled the options we have when creating characters. That in and of itself justifies their existence.
    You Just described the typical ravenmoon thread.

What sort of variables might there be?

Can they be determined?

where would you gather the data from? My first stab would be to look at the data for character race and faction changes.

Then look at the data for how many people did the unlocking quests. i would also look at how many paid for level boosts and made an allied race character with that.

I would also do a survey from a cross section sample of players. probably via an in game box

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    You Just described the typical ravenmoon thread.
    That's a bit unfair, I make lots of thread, it's only this one you could level that accusation at.

Tell ou what, if youc an prove to me that most of my threads are like that, I will stop making topics and posting replies on this forum. In other words, I will stop using MMO-champion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Well... anyone who bothered in lvling up an AR, that's extra game time spended in a whole new character.

10+ Year Old Account

Can they be determined?

where would you gather the data from? My first stab would be to look at the data for character race and faction changes.

Then look at the data for how many people did the unlocking quests. i would also look at how many paid for level boosts and made an allied race character with that.

I would also do a survey from a cross section sample of players. probably via an in game box
    Alternatively you could ask yourself why any of that matters to you, a non-Blizzard employee, in the first place? Unless you're making your own MMO and planning your own take on allied races, how much money they made has absolutely no bearing or relevance in your day to day life, and your opinion as to whether or not they were justified has no relevance in Blizzard's.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a bit unfair, I make lots of thread, it's only this one you could level that accusation at.

Tell ou what, if youc an prove to me that most of my threads are like that, I will stop making topics and posting replies on this forum. In other words, I will stop using MMO-champion.
    Don't take it to heart, some of your threads are indeed quite interesting, some more interesting that others, but still... if people did not find your topics at least interesting, they wouldn't respond in a good manner (We would have more "hateful" responses)

Though is true that this thread is such a broad theme and we have a lack of info, so there's not a really good answer that can be given

Void Elves at the very least are a success. They are the 4th most played Alliance race, despite being very recent and having to be unlocked. They are a big success for Blizzard.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

Alternatively you could ask yourself why any of that matters to you, a non-Blizzard employee, in the first place? Unless you're making your own MMO and planning your own take on allied races, how much money they made has absolutely no bearing or relevance in your day to day life, and your opinion as to whether or not they were justified has no relevance in Blizzard's.
    I'm curious, and taking a stab in the dark. I'm naive enough to believe that interesting information or something clever can come from someone posting here, that will help.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebra the War Criminal View Post
    Void Elves at the very least are a success. They are the 4th most played Alliance race, despite being very recent and having to be unlocked. They are a big success for Blizzard.
    Woah.. 4th? Are you sure? I didn't realise they were THAT popular so soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    What are statistics should you look for? The only thing I can think of is

1. People who brought BFA and played the expansion because of Allied Races primarily
    2. Everyone who paid for a character race or faction change to or because of an allied race.

In your opinion how much additional revenue do you feel they have generated?
    What you are asking for is everyone to talk out of their ass with you, so you can create some weird echo chamber... If you really want answers you probably should have asked Blizzard and left the rest of us out of it.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

I'm curious, and taking a stab in the dark. I'm naive enough to believe that interesting information or something clever can come from someone posting here, that will help.

- - - Updated - - -

They are very high on pretty much every WoW census website. WarcraftRealms in particular had them in 3rd place last time I checked.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

10+ Year Old Account

Can they be determined?

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...have-been-fine

You DO seem to have issues with Allied Races... And all these questions you want answers to can ONLY be answered by Blizzard...

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

They are very high on pretty much every WoW census website. WarcraftRealms in particular had them in 3rd place last time I checked.
    Probably because they are the alliance version of Blood Elves which is the dominating race on Horde.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, Void elves are extremely popular - they gave a version of blood elves to alliance, and are as close as we're going to get to high elves, so a ton of people have rolled one or racechanged to them.

And listen, I get being curious - I wonder about all kinds of obscure stuff related to WoW. But you created a topic asking for the kind of info that players simply cannot provide. There's no way, no possible way, for us to spitball the kind of money that Blizz is making from allied races because we don't even know how many people are playing the game at this point, much less what % of them have unlocked X allied race, what % of those people leveled legit or what % racechanged, etc.

Any discussion would be guesswork and speculation, and in matter of finances guesswork and speculation are pointless. I could say "I bet they made $77.2 million!" and you could say 'nuh uh, more like $88.6 million!" and it would just be us saying random numbers for the sake of saying them.

What!!! If this is the case, makes me believe they kinda make high elves irrelevant and were the right choice to do, … do you think High elves would have been that popular so soon? I don't think so, the moment you play high elves, you are playing blood elves on the horde, there isn' anything different, void elves gives something different, but it's probably impossible to tell for sure.

The only thing I know is, Allied Races is the only reason I kept playing BfA. They were the carrot at the end of the stick I kept following all expansion long. Now if a new pair don't get added in 8.3.5, I might unsub Sure as hell not going to spend 8 months doing Visions of N'zoth.

I still (and always will) dislike the practice of locking races, even allied races, behind reputation grinds. The lore 'justifications' for it fall apart on scrutiny and we never needed these grinds to unlock races in the past. (And no, I'm not someone that wants everything handed to me on a silver platter. Any allied races I cared to play I had the requirements done before they actually released. I just don't feel in an RPG you should have to level and grind to unlock the race you want to actually play as, you should just be able to make the character you want from the get go.)

Beyond that, I think allied races are fine and did well.

I do find it odd at how, obsessed, maybe a bit too strong, some people are with the status of Blizzard. How much money are they making. How many subs they have. How many mounts, pets etc people are buying.

Do these people feel the same about other games or even companies? How many people are playing CoD etc.

Or even how many people are shopping at Walmart or eating at McDonalds or drives Ford, Toyotas etc.

I can understand people being this way with sports. I feel the same way about the teams I support. How much money they have affects their ability to sign players which in turns affects their performance in the current season. But Blizzard is not a sport team.

Maybe it is normal to feel this way about Blizzard and it is me who is weird and different and ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sansnom View Post
    I do find it odd at how, obsessed, maybe a bit too strong, some people are with the status of Blizzard. How much money are they making. How many subs they have. How many mounts, pets etc people are buying.
    Agreed. It seems obsessive to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    The only thing I know is, Allied Races is the only reason I kept playing BfA. They were the carrot at the end of the stick I kept following all expansion long. Now if a new pair don't get added in 8.3.5, I might unsub Sure as hell not going to spend 8 months doing Visions of N'zoth.
    Worgen and undead have yet to receive an allied race counterpart, there's room for 2 more on the allied race selection screen, and the embassies are arranged in a way as to scream 'room for one more banner here!' so there are almost certainly 2 more coming.

- - - Updated - - -

What!!! If this is the case, makes me believe they kinda make high elves irrelevant and were the right choice to do, … do you think High elves would have been that popular so soon? I don't think so, the moment you play high elves, you are playing blood elves on the horde, there isn' anything different, void elves gives something different, but it's probably impossible to tell for sure.
    High elves would have undoubtedly been extremely popular as well, as people have asked for them relentlessly since BC. Hell *I* made a topic on the forums asking for them in BC.

Worgen and undead have yet to receive an allied race counterpart, there's room for 2 more on the allied race selection screen, and the embassies are arranged in a way as to scream 'room for one more banner here!' so there are almost certainly 2 more coming.
    Certainly hope so, I love new races. Fingers crossed for Saberon for Horde!