Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    because.... they are dwarves.

    any more reason needed as to why they are unpopular?

  2. #22
    Warchief Mekkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    My desk, Lurkin'.
    Posts
    2,141
    ears aint pointy enough im assuming

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    I'm really curious about your obsession with race... seems that nearly every thread you start has some sort of racial component. Maybe people dont want to play Wow dwarves when they have other options.
    Yeh, I'm just curious, many things pass through my mind, and i'm still on holidays andin the last few weeks have become addicted to the forum, so I'm using it aas a platform to hold discussions about things I'm merely curious about.

    I always get accused of being fixated on whatever aspect of wow I create more than one topic about... first it was night elves, then it was elves, then it was allied races, now races - and yet I do make other topics.

    I am one of those people who create things, and when i respond to topics it's too add to the discussion with ideas , thoughts and feelings, you will noticesome people predominantly reply just to argue, humiliate, insult or rubbish someone else (notice how I phrased it instead of correct, because correct is fine, but the way some do it, they're not merely correcting, they want a fight to destroy your argument - so toxic male mmmmhmm)

  4. #24
    Though it's probably recapping on an old post I did a while ago, for D&D Beyond there was a poll done to find what combination of race and classes people were making for new characters. And by comparison to WoW, Dwarves were a lot higher (like, second most played race). To summarize, I think imagination plays a large role in it. People can imagine their idealized version of their character. And I think this means at least that in WoW, people aren't getting what their idealized version of a dwarf that they want their character to be like how they would have imagined in D&D, for example.

    We can extrapolate to another example. When Pandaren were close to being added to the game a lot of people were drumming around the idea of plus size characters. Nowadays the internet is pretty ubiquitous with what it considers concepts like thicc or bears as. Funny to think if Blizzard just been able to key in on the feedback that really understood what aesthetic people were looking for at the time, maybe Pandaren would have been a lot more popular. And I think that kind of goes for Dwarfs as well. When they're collecting feedback for things like this, they may need to do a lot more checking to see if the visual they're going for is really meeting player expectations.

  5. #25
    No one cares about racials. Dwarves, like gnomes and goblins , aren't very popular because they are short and ugly, look bad in armor, etc...

    Dwarves could have a 10% damage buff and only raiders would play them, everyone else would just sit on their Elves and humans and complain.

    Even in Vanilla wow, when "racials mattered", the common line was "racials dont matter". There is some arguments for weapon skill racials and priest race skills like fearwards, but for the most part no one cared.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulantik View Post
    I think the people in this thread (and this forum) need to try remembering that not everyone picks a race based off of the racials they provide.

    I know I certainly didn't when I joined WoW.
    I didn't, in fact, I don't htink I ever have. For me racials have been flavor.. . even when I raid competitively, I haven't picked ar ace for racials - I have been druid mostly, so i guess NElf racials were my only choice for a long time, by the time more caeme I as into other classes and was around the time I stopped raiding competitively. After the WoD racial equalising, racials are just interesting flavour with very minor benefits over a race.

    For me they don't factor in, and I seriously would love to be able to see how many people are actually influenced by them on the alliance side which isn't half as competitive as the horde side.

  7. #27
    Ive mained UD Mage since Vanilla, and i didnt give a shit about racials.... ive thought about changing to get a better PVE racial... but fuck it!!! Undead For Undeath!!!!
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Supernova: Cause a pulse of Arcane energy around the target enemy or ally, dealing Arcane damage to all enemies within 8 yards, and knocking them up.

  8. #28
    Low story focus, I'd imagine. They have a good look and aesthetic, and if I had known starting out in vanilla about their stoneform racial as a rogue I might've gone that route.

  9. #29
    Dwarves are cool, but the running animation is awkward and bouncy AF (also, the voice....).

  10. #30
    They had no caster classes before Cataclysm.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

  11. #31
    Aesthetics. Gear looks stupid on Dwarves.

    Personally I don't play anything that isn't close to human in shape, not even male orcs. I can't stand the shoulders being so comically large. Almost all my characters are human, elf or draenei. Most of my characters are female as well, even the normal males are often comically wide shouldered and it makes many of the pauldrons look... stretched to me. I play some male Blood Elves and Worgen, that's about it.

    I don't hate dwarves, I actually love Dwarf lore most of the time, I just prefer other races.
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    Though it's probably recapping on an old post I did a while ago, for D&D Beyond there was a poll done to find what combination of race and classes people were making for new characters. And by comparison to WoW, Dwarves were a lot higher (like, second most played race). To summarize, I think imagination plays a large role in it. People can imagine their idealized version of their character. And I think this means at least that in WoW, people aren't getting what their idealized version of a dwarf that they want their character to be like how they would have imagined in D&D, for example.

    We can extrapolate to another example. When Pandaren were close to being added to the game a lot of people were drumming around the idea of plus size characters. Nowadays the internet is pretty ubiquitous with what it considers concepts like thicc or bears as. Funny to think if Blizzard just been able to key in on the feedback that really understood what aesthetic people were looking for at the time, maybe Pandaren would have been a lot more popular. And I think that kind of goes for Dwarfs as well. When they're collecting feedback for things like this, they may need to do a lot more checking to see if the visual they're going for is really meeting player expectations.
    interesting, makes me wonder if they've ever really known. but then their idea of cool is a huge 80s He-man type ripped dude and that concep is reflected in orcs, tauren, humans etc, but excelelnt point

    As usual <3 <3 Razion, you always make good replies that are an interesting read. I always read your posts, and enjoy your contributions, often made without judgement and ooften giving insights, shame more don't respond to what you write or add to your contribution, easily distratcted by other less constructive responders. Don't stop.

    I remember being much more fund of dwarves in Neverwinter Nights, but can't place myself on the wow dwarf board. They're there, and great if you like them and play them, but I notice they aren't that popular, I'm not even sure I understand why they were moreappealing in NWN than they are in WoW. Maybe it's because other races in wow like elves have so much more character and I really like that. I guess everyone knows that I like that night elves aren't just wood elves, and keep trying to re-inforce the arcane/nature duality side of them to the community..but that's because I like that they aren't just wood elves, and I like that they have this duality and multiple aspects and I also like how those show up. Night elf druid, mage and demon hunter are my 3 most played - representing the long vigil side, the highborne arcane side and the illidan side - now, I don't have that leap out for dwarves.

    Also in NWN, I think elves were very boring, hardly any different from humans save for maybe slightly longer ears. In wow, nope, they got elongated eyebrows, HUGE ears, and noticeably more attractive than humans, even though humans don't look ugly.

    Dark iron and Wildhammers would have been worth properly exploring - like they did for night elf /highborne/nightborne and high/blood/void elf - you can easily see there is much more on kal/quel/shal'dorei than there is on Bronzebeards/dark irons and wildhammers , same with the Thalassian trio of quel/sin/ren'dorei - the ren'dorei have more involvement and presence than the wildhammer have, even if the wildhammer leader does show up sometimes, you get that one szone in Twilight highlands for them, and even the Aeries peak lot don't feel like a different group.


    Whereas you can easily tell the difference between a normal Kaldorei and a Quel'dorei as well as a Shal'dorei - and high elves are very famous in relation to blood elves with void elves being quite easily distinguished.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Dwarves in comparison have so many holes
    wat

    /10char

  14. #34
    Are we only talking about Ironforge dwarves? Dark Iron dwarves seem to be pretty popular, they aren't as bland as their cousins. In both retail and Classic, dwarves are simply overshadowed where people rather play a human for good racials, night elf because of the looks, and gnomes because they make good casters. Their racials suck most of the time in PvE.

  15. #35
    I'm not sure about people picking a race for their racials is a thing at least not anymore. I'd say most people pick races simply for how cool they look. I can't imagine being that concerned over a mostly useless ability that you'll use probably 10 times from 1-120.

    And fuck anyone who bad talks dwarves. They're the best, most badass Alliance race in the game. Just because of this thread I'm playing on my dwarf warrior when I get home. He's my boi.
    I'd buy that for a dollar.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by KronoFett View Post
    A sub 70 IQ person will say racials. But it has nothing to do with racials. Dwarfs and gnomes are the 2 most powerful races in Classic WoW and they dominated private servers. However on Classic Humans and Nights elves are the most populated races in the game.

    Simple answer...they don't look look as pretty as other races. Hence how void elves are more populated than gnomes in a small amount of time already. Here is the data to back up my claims on wowhead. Night elves have the worst racials out of all the races in classic yet its the Alliance 2nd mot played race. Gnomes are the best race for every intellect based character yet are the least played race. Dwarfs are the best rogues in classic yet are one of the least played rogue races in-game.

    In a similar vein, mechagnomes are maybe going to be the most powerful race in warcraft yet it will still be the most underplayed because no one wants to play a diaper gnome.

    https://www.wowhead.com/news=295075/...ough-community
    They dominated private servers because of racials. Dwarf priest fear ward and gnomes are best ally caster dps due to intellect 5% racial. Think for a second

  17. #37
    I am Murloc! Lord Pebbleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pebbleton Family Castle.
    Posts
    5,426
    If the player base really discarded dwarfs because of non-op racials, I am gonna cry. That is the worst reason I have ever seen not to play as something

  18. #38
    They're not pretty and that's it. Dwarves are usually 'popular' but few people actually play them. They like them, but would rather be a human/elf/something else that's attractive. I remember in LotRO Dwarves only tied with Hobbits for the least popular race (granted, there were only four of them at the time). Warhammer Online they were similarly the least played of the three races, but since every class was race-specific (barring mirrors on the opposite faction) you saw a few more, for those who Mechanics > Aesthetics.

    Back in Vanilla, Alliance outnumbered Horde something like 7:3 until Blood Elves were added and then it balanced out/overtook Alliance. Similarly, Kul Tirans and Dark Irons are the least played Allied Races whilst Void Elves have about overtaken Draenei (according to RealmPop) despite their abysmal lore. Even the so-so Nightborne models managed to win them a bit of love.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Mogs. Wow mogs are crafted to look good on humans. The most similar races to humans are the elves.
    I disagree. Dwarves are one of the very few races that almost every type of armour looks decent-to-good on them, even mail.
    Last edited by Bigby; 2020-01-11 at 04:39 PM.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by KronoFett View Post
    A sub 70 IQ person will say racials. But it has nothing to do with racials. Dwarfs and gnomes are the 2 most powerful races in Classic WoW and they dominated private servers. However on Classic Humans and Nights elves are the most populated races in the game.

    Simple answer...they don't look look as pretty as other races. Hence how void elves are more populated than gnomes in a small amount of time already. Here is the data to back up my claims on wowhead. Night elves have the worst racials out of all the races in classic yet its the Alliance 2nd mot played race. Gnomes are the best race for every intellect based character yet are the least played race. Dwarfs are the best rogues in classic yet are one of the least played rogue races in-game.

    In a similar vein, mechagnomes are maybe going to be the most powerful race in warcraft yet it will still be the most underplayed because no one wants to play a diaper gnome.

    https://www.wowhead.com/news=295075/...ough-community
    yep,hit it right on the money,the fact that not every single serious raider doesnt pick gnome is a big testament to how much people dislike gnomes

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    interesting, makes me wonder if they've ever really known. but then their idea of cool is a huge 80s He-man type ripped dude and that concep is reflected in orcs, tauren, humans etc, but excelelnt point

    As usual <3 <3 Razion, you always make good replies that are an interesting read. I always read your posts, and enjoy your contributions, often made without judgement and ooften giving insights, shame more don't respond to what you write or add to your contribution, easily distratcted by other less constructive responders. Don't stop.

    I remember being much more fund of dwarves in Neverwinter Nights, but can't place myself on the wow dwarf board. They're there, and great if you like them and play them, but I notice they aren't that popular, I'm not even sure I understand why they were moreappealing in NWN than they are in WoW. Maybe it's because other races in wow like elves have so much more character and I really like that. I guess everyone knows that I like that night elves aren't just wood elves, and keep trying to re-inforce the arcane/nature duality side of them to the community..but that's because I like that they aren't just wood elves, and I like that they have this duality and multiple aspects and I also like how those show up. Night elf druid, mage and demon hunter are my 3 most played - representing the long vigil side, the highborne arcane side and the illidan side - now, I don't have that leap out for dwarves.

    Also in NWN, I think elves were very boring, hardly any different from humans save for maybe slightly longer ears. In wow, nope, they got elongated eyebrows, HUGE ears, and noticeably more attractive than humans, even though humans don't look ugly.

    Dark iron and Wildhammers would have been worth properly exploring - like they did for night elf /highborne/nightborne and high/blood/void elf - you can easily see there is much more on kal/quel/shal'dorei than there is on Bronzebeards/dark irons and wildhammers , same with the Thalassian trio of quel/sin/ren'dorei - the ren'dorei have more involvement and presence than the wildhammer have, even if the wildhammer leader does show up sometimes, you get that one szone in Twilight highlands for them, and even the Aeries peak lot don't feel like a different group.


    Whereas you can easily tell the difference between a normal Kaldorei and a Quel'dorei as well as a Shal'dorei - and high elves are very famous in relation to blood elves with void elves being quite easily distinguished.
    (Thanks for all the kind words.)

    I couldn't find a sizable poll for Neverwinter, but what smaller polls I did find more or less lined up with WoW: humans and elves being popular, and dwarfs not really getting the attention that the large results from the aforementioned D&D Beyond citing would lead us to suggest is the demand. So, I don't think Neverwinter is really nailing the visuals of dwarfs that people want, either. There's definitely dwarf appeal that people can imagine when making characters in D&D consistently that doesn't line up with what people are able to make in WoW or Neverwinter. Even just searching google for dwarf D&D fan-art, there's a large discrepancy between the bodies of dwarfs in WoW and Neverwinter and how people are depicting their characters in their own drawings. Taking more and more looks across more art I think there's a clear underlying factor here, and that is that dwarfs in WoW and Neverwinter aren't hitting the right body type.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •