Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I don't give a damn about racials and just enjoy playing dwarf hunter and Dark Iron dwarf priestess because they look cool as hell. Also, as it seems to me, you underestimate the popularity of dwarves. People should worry about the low popularity of gnomes, not dwarves.

Maybe, the main problem with gnomes that they have not a clearly represented race-class combination. If we think about Undeads, we imagine them as rogues or warlocks, humans - as warriors, paladins, or mages, orcs - as warriors or shamans. Still, when you hear "gnome," there is no such a clear association even though there is plenty of gnome warlocks, mages, or rogues. So, that's yet another reason why we need tinkers

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Remove racials and you will get a much more diverse set of races in the world.

While some racials are better than others, People will still pick one race over another.

Remove them and people will go with what they think looks the best.
    People already go with what they think looks best. Only a very small percentage of overall players are picking races for racial specific reasons, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post

Any idea or thoughts why this is the case for Warcraft?
    First issue is racials. Second is most armor/gear looks better on things closer to the shape of the generic human.... (almost every set is modeled on humans first and then fucked with to fit everyone else).

Outside of having the best beards, I don't think dwarves really stand out as much.

If you include Dark Irons as well? Not sure. I think there's still an issue where they have some of the same issues as normal dwarves... but better beards

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    People already go with what they think looks best. Only a very small percentage of overall players are picking races for racial specific reasons, lol.
    I think that human racial rep grind boost still plays a large factor in some players choices.

Overall though it's not as bad as classic where weapon specc racials could really seal some class/specc builds.

I read the title as in "WoW isn't popular with dwarves", not "Dwarves aren't a popular race to play in WoW".

I'm a little disappointed I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Convince me first that the majority of players play their race because of racials. Sure if I have to choose between 2 races I really like, I'll pick one that has the racial I like most. But I don't believe that majority of players play a race because a spreadsheet told them what race had the best racial.

I vote low dwarf pop, because they are an insulting stereotype and like gnomes, who wants to play a short race?
    Unlike many here I refuse to assume what the 'majority' do or don't do. But there are a significant number of players that base the race/faction they play on racials because of advantages, and that is a fact. Over the years I've seen countless 'wut is the best race for <thing>' posts, Blizzard themselves have commented on the kind of player that does this (generally mythic raiders, hardcore PvPers, etc) and I myself have known many, many people who have race changed many times to gain the advantages of superior racials.

And there are plenty of people who play 'short' races. Its easy to look at a vague pie chart and forget that what we're looking at is %'s of millions upon millions of people. But hey, keep doing the "I don't like it so nobody does" shtick.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsgrace View Post
    Dwarves, no Caster classes? you do know in Vanilla, Dwarves were almost (I do stress almost) mandatory for Priest on alliance. They were the only one to have "Fear ward" which trivialized many boss fight mechanics, if your tank wasn't running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Back in Vanilla, only Dwarf Priests had Fear ward, and only became available to all priests in TBC.
    I meant they had no druids, mages, warlocks, shamans and so on. I consider vanilla priest healer.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Unlike many here I refuse to assume what the 'majority' do or don't do. But there are a significant number of players that base the race/faction they play on racials because of advantages, and that is a fact. Over the years I've seen countless 'wut is the best race for <thing>' posts, Blizzard themselves have commented on the kind of player that does this (generally mythic raiders, hardcore PvPers, etc) and I myself have known many, many people who have race changed many times to gain the advantages of superior racials.

And there are plenty of people who play 'short' races. Its easy to look at a vague pie chart and forget that what we're looking at is %'s of millions upon millions of people. But hey, keep doing the "I don't like it so nobody does" shtick.
    I don't play any shticks. I'm asking for actual data, not "I know many people" Maybe you know more hardcore players, I know more fun casuals who play something simply because they like it. Just like the debate on why there are so many BELFs, particularly female BELFs and the mega thread on why some on the Alliance wants high elves. We know from at least the Alliance side it's not because of the racials. It is because they are pretty. What muddies the water is when you have a pretty race that also has a fairly powerful racial.

Because Human racials are so good in PVP? Also in general, it seems people like to play themselves in this games, so they tend to go with what they identify themselves with (In this case, Humans)

Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    "She's got Marty Feldman eyes..."

good lord..
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Not a sexy humanoid.

Next question please!

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    I was reading an article a while back (will link if I find it) that spoke of how dwarves were generally quite popular... LotrO, Warhammer and similar games usually had them in the top 3 races, and in some cases more popular than elves.

However in wow, they just aren't, their popularity is really really low.. why is that? In Warcraft they've had a lot of development when you think of the dwarf zones, instances, patch focuses, and the role they've played throughout the Warcraft story, and always have characters from their race involved, like the Bronzebeards, yet they just haven't been that popular here, and I can't figure out why.

Any idea or thoughts why this is the case for Warcraft?
    I like for my characters to be either male or female. With dwarves, I don't think you can even choose. If you could, how would you even tell?

Only the chosen few are ready to be the best race.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Better characters looking like they've been through a few wars then looking like vogue girl supermodels
    Yeah, nothing shows more being through a war than having a beer belly and looking like some meth head trailer trash.

It's almost like you haven't looked at the average looks of our army marines and navy seals before you chose to open your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulantik View Post
    I think the people in this thread (and this forum) need to try remembering that not everyone picks a race based off of the racials they provide.

I know I certainly didn't when I joined WoW.
    Same here. First choice was NE rogue...because of the box art? No idea. Then NE druid...guess I liked the look of elves (both were female). Funnily the third was a dwarf priest. Now...none of these toons got further than level 12. Why? No idea...maybe Alliance wasn't for me? Maybe the class choice sucked?

Eventually my main on a new server became an UD male warlock. I think I made the deliberate choice to create somebody "evil". In the meantime, I have switched to a BE Paladin. Only way I could play this race on Horde side. Until Worgen came out, I was 100% Horde. And since I hated the male aesthetics (same as for humans, Draenei, NEs) I rolled a female. By now I have every class at 120 and started looking into other races that I found interesting or level other speccs.

I now have a lv 120 dwarf, but he is a DI dwarf. So I can say 100% that I never, ever rolled a race for the racials, but always for the looks and what "felt" right as a race / class combination.

I'm the shortest of my RL friends, I don't want to be the shortest of my in-game friends too...

... it's pure aesthetics for me, I just don't like the way they look and although it may have changed over the years when I first started playing I really disliked the way they run, especially with some form of speed e.g. aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    No one cares about racials.
    Meh, generalisations and all that. And yet contradicting. Yep...that is what raiders do, they roll a class or switch a faction for racials. From what I understand in several threads here, people also do / did that for pvp. Or because of a convenient racial like the extra 10% rep gain of humans...though humans being what we are...maybe that is reason alone for rolling one anyhow.

And the fear ward (racial?) in Classic was damn juicy

Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    They had no caster classes before Cataclysm.
    Well...considering one of my initial attempts at creating a character was a dwarf priest in March 2005...I would count that as a caster class? But other than that...actually an intriguing possibility that this could be a reason.
    Last edited by det; 2020-01-20 at 09:50 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    why? I'm guessing because dwarves have a lot of........ shortcomings......

Blizzard doesn't really explore racial identity in Warcraft, so Dwarves are just bland as fuck. They lack any of the interesting bits of (for instance) Warhammer Dwarves. They're basically short hairy humans.

Also as with most groups in WoW they don't really have any enemies left. Nobody specifically hates the Dwarves, they're not under threat, their only real antagonist beyond Troggs got absorbed into their culture. They're just waiting around to be used as a background prop for when Ragnaros comes back.
    Last edited by Niroshi; 2020-01-20 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Niroshi View Post
    Blizzard doesn't really explore racial identity in Warcraft, so Dwarves are just bland as fuck. They lack any of the interesting bits of (for instance) Warhammer Dwarves. They're basically short hairy humans.

Also as with most groups in WoW they don't really have any enemies left. Nobody specifically hates the Dwarves, they're not under threat, their only real antagonist beyond Troggs got absorbed into their culture. They're just waiting around to be used as a background prop for when Ragnaros comes back.
    They are really too close to humans. All they do is done better by either human or gnome. They seem to be a hybrid between these two races.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Not enough digging holes and singing about it.