Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    I drive a 2013 Prius. Mr. Cowboy Hat in his F-150 can laugh at me all he wants, but I'll be the one laughing when we're at the gas pumps.

And it seems that 90% of people around here drive like assholes regardless of what vehicle I'm driving.
    I laugh at people in a Prius. The gas isnt a problem if you can afford it. I have a modified F150 Lariat, 5.0 V8 supercharged to 650 hp. 0 to 60 in 3.9 seconds in a truck and I can tear it up off road. Smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon. We have one life I'm going to enjoy mine. Please let more powerful vehicles pass and there isn't a problem.

Please tell me it's not another thread, in 2020, where people think that owing a electrical car means you are the one insecure with your masculinity ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I drive a Tesla model 3. As a guy that knows nothing about cars I can’t say enough good things about it. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to gas.

I noticed other Tesla drivers will give me a nod.
    Problem with electric cars is range, how long it takes to charge a car and durability of batteries. Until you can drive 1000km+ fully charged and charge batteries in under 30min to full then i dont see a point in electric car.

Bloodsail Admiral
    Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    Problem with electric cars is range, how long it takes to charge a car and durability of batteries. Until you can drive 1000km+ fully charged and charge batteries in under 30min to full then i dont see a point in electric car.
    Most people never drive 1000km in a day not even once a year. I know many people who will rent cars for long trips to not put those kind of km on their daily driver.

Electric cars aren't for everyone but they don't need to be. Just like Trucks, SUVs or motorcycles. But they work for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    Most people never drive 1000km in a day not even once a year. I know many people who will rent cars for long trips to not put those kind of km on their daily driver.

Electric cars aren't for everyone but they don't need to be. Just like Trucks, SUVs or motorcycles. But they work for most people.
    Well im not from USA but if you drive from one state to another ( and you are not right at the borders ) you can easily drive 600km+ or about 380miles+ and that is the range of model S, model 3 has even smaller range, something like 400km (250miles ) standard and about 500km ( 320miles ) and it takes about 8 hours to charge. Going on a family vacation in that case can take a long time.

Honda Civic Coup. I usually only go about 5mph over the limit, whatever it may be. Unless someone is riding my ass. Then I slow right the fuck down and as soon as they go to pass I speed back up (only on highways, obviously. I'm not embittered enough to get anyone killed on a 2-lane. Yet.)
    "It is not wise to judge others based on your own preconceptions or by their appearances."

Bloodsail Admiral
    Well im not from USA but if you drive from one state to another ( and you are not right at the borders ) you can easily drive 600km+ or about 380miles+ and that is the range of model S, model 3 has even smaller range, something like 400km (250miles ) standard and about 500km ( 320miles ) and it takes about 8 hours to charge. Going on a family vacation in that case can take a long time.
    But you were talking about 1000km!

Yes, I am from the states and I have taken road trips. But like I said, it's once or maybe twice a year. Unless your road trip is going to avoid all major freeways, you're not spending nights at a hotel and you drive 6 hours a day, you will be fine. I actually just looked my last 3 road trips. To the Mt. Rushmoore in South Dakota, Chicago Illinois and a lake in northern MN (3hr 45min). And all three would have been fine with even the model 3. And if I somehow took a trip where I couldn't get there, then I would spend the extra cash and get a rental.

I don't plan on getting an electric car anytime soon, but it's not because the range.

The biggest problem with electric cars is the best way to charge them is at home, in your garage, which half the population doesn't have.

The range has gotten to a good spot. Charging them is still an issue. Once that's fixed and prices come down you'll see even more of em.

I don't drive but if i would, i'd like to own an Audi TT

Bloodsail Admiral
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy4123 View Post
    The biggest problem with electric cars is the best way to charge them is at home, in your garage, which half the population doesn't have.

The range has gotten to a good spot. Charging them is still an issue. Once that's fixed and prices come down you'll see even more of em.
    Yea, it's pretty much mandatory that you have a garage. It would be too easy to mess with people it was an apartment parking lot or something. I wonder what the percent of people that have a garage and if it's different here in the USA vs EU or Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Goddamn BMW drivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Goddamn Audi drivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    You should race it out! That will show'em and everyone once and for all!
    They should race to see who can find out how to operate the turn signal, as it seems that drivers of either brand are completely unaware

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    They should race to see who can find out how to operate the turn signal, as it seems that drivers of either brand are completely unaware
    This is not an Audi or BMW driver problem, it's a stupid person problem. I've not yet identified a common denominator between people who don't signal except that they're all idiots.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zero3 View Post
    I don't drive but if i would, i'd like to own an Audi TT
    Yea boi! That's my* car

*Same model, just not a picture of my personal vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    But you were talking about 1000km!

Yes, I am from the states and I have taken road trips. But like I said, it's once or maybe twice a year. Unless your road trip is going to avoid all major freeways, you're not spending nights at a hotel and you drive 6 hours a day, you will be fine. I actually just looked my last 3 road trips. To the Mt. Rushmoore in South Dakota, Chicago Illinois and a lake in northern MN (3hr 45min). And all three would have been fine with even the model 3. And if I somehow took a trip where I couldn't get there, then I would spend the extra cash and get a rental.

I don't plan on getting an electric car anytime soon, but it's not because the range.
    Yeah but distances can vary, most I ever driven in one go was 1100km ( give or take 40km ), with any electric car that would be impossible (atm). And that range for electric car is in perfect conditions, i don't know after how many charges batteries start to "decay" or lose capacity, but batteries tend to do that. But i guess its about 80-70% after 100.000miles or so, some people that travel a lot can make that distance in 3-4 years., my Friend for example that goes 200km each work day....

I don't know, like I said, until you can charge a car in under 30min to at least 80% and can go 1000km ( 600miles ), the car isnt that practical. For electric car you need garage and a house ( well garage 1st ) so you can charge it overnight since it takes 8 hours. If or when they make batteries that can changed in <1hour you then go grab a lunch, drinks with friends and get back and have fully charged car.

I drive a Kia Optima and no one has ever commented on it.

Question. Do you use your blinkers?

I have the short range model, work is 10 minutes away. Ocassionally I have to commute to a client thats about 100km away. I've never had to worry about charging. If I was in the US driving between states I wouldn't even worry as they have superchargers everywhere which take no time at all to charge. You just shouldn't supercharge very often.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Guy4123 View Post

Yeah I have a garage which makes it easy but at work they have charging stations as well so I rarely charge at home.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah but distances can vary, most I ever driven in one go was 1100km ( give or take 40km ), with any electric car that would be impossible (atm). And that range for electric car is in perfect conditions, i don't know after how many charges batteries start to "decay" or lose capacity, but batteries tend to do that. But i guess its about 80-70% after 100.000miles or so, some people that travel a lot can make that distance in 3-4 years., my Friend for example that goes 200km each work day..
    The battery does decay, my model 3 is covered to have 70% capacity after 8 years or 160,000 km, it is expected though that the decay will be much slower, 90% capacity after 160,000 miles or 257,495 km.

I have the short range model, work is 10 minutes away. Ocassionally I have to commute to a client thats about 100km away. I've never had to worry about charging. If I was in the US driving between states I wouldn't even worry as they have superchargers everywhere which take no time at all to charge. You just shouldn't supercharge very often.
    That's ok, but like I said if you are going long distances you need batteries that have bigger capacity and/or faster charging. Don't get me wrong i think EV are great thing but like "new" innovation it will take some time to get it perfect.

The battery does decay, my model 3 is covered to have 70% capacity after 8 years or 160,000 km, it is expected though that the decay will be much slower, 90% capacity after 160,000 miles or 257,495 km.
    That is if everything goes as planned. Some people make that distance in few years, and like i said i have friends that do 50k-70k kilometers every year, for them after 3 years or less. I don't know, i mean technology we use to make batteries needs to change...

have you heard of trains

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    have you heard of trains
    And how does that relate to the fact that you can't drive Tesla 1000km+ on a full charge?

And how does that relate to the fact that you can't drive Tesla 1000km+ on a full charge?
    you can get a train for long journeys