Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do you think of your own mortality?

When someone around you or someone famous dies young does it make you rethink your own mortality?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

More quickly think of that of those I care the most about.

7+ Year Old Account
    No because I don't see the purpose of worrying about something that is unavoidable in our lifetime.

Mortality should only motivate us to solve the problem of mortality, which based on the other mortality thread there is a lot people in a death cult who don't think humans should become immortal.

I'm very aware of my mortality and very happy it exists. That there will eventually be an end is sometimes all that gets me through the day.
    What have the years of your life taught you to be?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

My own? Not really no...
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Not because someone famous have died.

But having worked in forestry, i've seen some really fucked up injuries that makes me think twice when doing a lot of things.
    as well how small things can have an huge impact.

So sometimes, but far from all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    When someone around you or someone famous dies young does it make you rethink your own mortality?
    No I thank my parents for that they taught me drugs are bad

10+ Year Old Account
    Mortality doesn't bother me, I'm more bothered by quality of life issues that fall short of death and I support right to die. In a world that worries about climate change, if I ever come down with a degenerative mental or physical condition that would leave me in a vegetative state on life support (as and example), let me have the paperwork on file to avoid that. Consider it reducing my carbon footprint.

//s//bungee, absentmindedly about to forget to kick the bucket as predicted for yet another year
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

I'm older and think of mortality fairly often.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    No because I don't see the purpose of worrying about something that is unavoidable in our lifetime.
    Just wait until/if you have kids.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    I try not to, because it is both depressing and a waste of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    OP: Yep all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Yes. I fear that there is really nothing after death.
    To believe that takes more faith than anything else. It's a fact we don't know what happens, it is also a fact that as said matter and energy is NEVER destroyed only transformed.

I think the real fear is to whether we would be conscious or in any event what that means. Which honestly is probably why it's a good idea to treat ALL life fairly and with respect.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Just wait until/if you have kids.
    Because you worry about their death? I've learned that toddlers are basically little suicide machines who do nothing all day except try to find ways to kill themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    OP: Yep all the time.

To believe that takes more faith than anything else. It's a fact we don't know what happens, it is also a fact that as said matter and energy is NEVER destroyed only transformed.

I think the real fear is to whether we would be conscious or in any event what that means.
    Conscious in an afterlife? That is myth... The fact that information is never destroyed is weird though.

Which honestly is probably why it's a good idea to treat ALL life fairly and with respect.
    Human life is above non-humans though. As far as people you don't need religion to give people a reason to behave properly.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-01-13 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Conscious in an afterlife? That is myth... The fact that information is never destroyed is weird though.
    Energy and matter, not information.

7+ Year Old Account
    When someone I know dies, I usually feel some sadness, remorse, for the people that knew them well.

When someone famous dies, unless I was somewhat of a fan, I couldn't care less and reflect not at all. However, when someone famous passes that I was a fan of, like Neil Peart who recently passed, I do reflect on their passing and feel sadness.

Usually don't reflect on my own mortality due to someone else dying, regardless of who they were.

10+ Year Old Account
    us sin'dorei do not think of such mundane matters. these trifling concerns are for mere mortals.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Well death is inevitable and unavoidable and being a conscious creature it`s only natural to ponder your own mortality at times,
    though it`s probably not good for you to dwell on the matter for too long.

To die of old age or sickness may even be somewhat of a relief, as someone whom have had family members die of illness
    they just grow weak to the point when there`s no real fight left in them.
    At that point i think it`s more merciful to simply let them go rather than cling on to life at all costs.

Personally i`m not convinced of an afterlife but at the same time i have no idea what comes next,
    the thought of non-existance is an odd one though.

Not really much to do about it though, when it happens it happens.
    Just try to stay healthy for as long as possible.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think of my body as a temporary dwelling even when no one has died.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I fear the process of dying, not so much what comes after. If there is nothing after death, I'm not going to experience it.
    That's how I see it as well. Fear dying, not death. Death I feel is basically just dreamless sleeping forever. Or how Mark Twain put it:

“I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

So no, I don't really think about death, as I see that there's just not much to think about.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Rethink? No. I've thought about it every single day since I can remember thanks to suffering from depression since childhood. As a result, I am apathetic to death. I wouldn't care if I died tomorrow. I don't believe in an afterlife, so it would just be the end which doesn't bother me either.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson