Page 1 of 2
LastLast

First time trying SW ToR

So I'm a big Star Wars fan, and a WoW player, been with WoW since launch, and still play live, but burned out on BfA, and not interested in Classic.

I always wanted to try SW ToR, but the negative reviews and feedback held me away. But I recall the early development previews on game sites and youtube videos a few years before it came out, the original outlines and pictures of the early game development sounded AMAZING, and I thought was going to be a next gen WoW game but set in the Star Wars universe. I recall some picture of a big Jawas Sandcrawler thing on the planet Tatooine and it looked like something out of the movies, I was so stoked for the game, it looked jaw dropping cool in those early looks, several years before release.

But then the game came out, and the game play videos didn't look like the those early development screen shots from a few years before, as if the game had some internal shake up behind the scenes changing it?

Anyways, back to the topic. I was bored today, installed the free to play version, and picked a Jedi Combat guy, and got to level 7, and I am extremely impressed for starter level stuff, the story is actually really good and engaging. WoW's early leveling sucks, it's purely go out and collect stuff, rinse and repeat, whereas as SW ToR questing has way more meat to it? The graphics are pretty good, I am running Ultra maxed settings, but the character movement seems funky, not as smooth and detailed as WoW. And the game seems choppy, I have a RTX 2070, i7-9700K, 32GB DDR4, and a SSD, but the gameplay in forested outdoor areas is not smooth.

Overall, early in, it seems pretty good so far, not sure I'll stick with it and actually subscribe for $14.99/month, prob not, as I already sub to WoW. But SW ToR is better than expected, ad not sure why it's not played at all anymore, where WoW is still very popular with millions of players 15+ years on.

its a good game, until max level
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

How far can I get playing " Free to play" without subscribing? Does it stop at level 20?

Early on it was pretty popular, I remember several friends dropping WoW for it. I'm honestly not in the loop of why it isn't super popular anymore though, but I know it has it's fans. I play it off and on when I'm bored.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

The main thing that swtor does right, is story. It has a good house decorating system in strongholds. lots of cosmetics for dress up. But if you arent a play that get into and enjoys the single player aspect of stories, you will find swtor too much of a slog. The stories are great, but simply many gamers these days want pixels, not stories.

free to play will get you through the first couple expansions. but many things are locked behind the pay wall. it would benefit you to sub for one month to allow all expansion content to unlock permenantly for you and give you a chance to see the unrestricted game. I refuse to play it unsubbed bc it is restricted so hard EA may as well put a ballgag in it and grab the cattle prod.
    Last edited by Binaris; 2020-01-13 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    How far can I get playing " Free to play" without subscribing? Does it stop at level 20?
    Honestly, I wouldn't play it without a sub. It's not that's impossible to do it F2P but there's so many little annoyances that it's not worth it for me. It's not that expensive, and even if you just play the story lines and don't care much about multiplayer and endgame, it's pretty good value for money.

Look at it like buying KOTOR3, and it's not even that expensive if you don't take half a year to complete it.

You can finish the whole story without paying.

Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    its a good game, until max level
    This is not true with onslaught. The gearing process is a lot of fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    You can finish the whole story without paying.
    Only true for the vanilla story plus hutt cartel and shadow of revan.
    You need to sub for kotfe/kotet and onslaught.

- - - Updated - - -

So, the game is much better than people think.
    Storytelling is good, gearing system is good, class design is good, warzones are fun, flashpoints and operations are fun There is a lot of fun to be had.

The problem with the game are the bugs and performance. You will find those.
    Playing at end game requires a sub. The f2p portion of the game is just a big trial.

Is there a way to skip a lot of the dialogue back and forth when accepting new quests?

And do we get "mounts" or speeders eventually? Walking is slow.

And my one beef is the character animation, compared to WoW's it feels dated and not nearly as polished and fluid. Walking and jumping over things feels like stick man cardboard player, not a nice feeling smooth play styles like WoW

Is there a way to skip a lot of the dialogue back and forth when accepting new quests?
    Dont waste your time with this game. A story driven game you want to spacebar through the story.

Leveling in that game is superfun!

My only issue wth the game was the pvp and pve endgame. Everything else was fantastic!
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

10+ Year Old Account

And do we get "mounts" or speeders eventually? Walking is slow.

And my one beef is the character animation, compared to WoW's it feels dated and not nearly as polished and fluid. Walking and jumping over things feels like stick man cardboard player, not a nice feeling smooth play styles like WoW
    There is an option in Preferences that enables auto skip for all dialog. But really, if you aren't in it for the story, you will be very disappointed in this game.

As for animation, I agree. I really dislike the idle stance as it makes my character look like a doll rather than a living person. The game could benefit from "Personalities" like in ESO.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Currently you can play for free up to Shadow of Revan expansion. That has a cap of level 60.

sub for at least a month its only 15.00 and more than worth the money.

SWTOR has the best leveling of any MMO out there, esp with a sub you can ignore the side quest and do the class/planet quest and stay on par if not ahead level wise when subbed.

the animations are stiff compared to WoW's but that is most other MMO's to me. you will get sprint, "jet pack", and mounts eventually as well, again subbing helps.

I've gone back to SWTOR recently for the same reasons and working on the repub stories, already did the empire ones, love it and the changes so far. I hear it has a new game director that is passionate about it.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Buy the preferred access for 5 if it's still a thing to have more action bars. Don't know how it works now.

I also played about 2 years ago. The sith inquisitor story was pretty damn good. Then I logged back to wow and realized how clunky the gameplay is in swtor

Anyone know if you still get all xpacs if you sub once?

Inquisitor, jedi knight and the sith warrior questlines are as good as they get in any game! But after that with the whole you are almost a god, gets extremely bland and the store takes a nose dive after the original bit is done. But play the crap out of the original, you wont regret it if you are into star wars. Resubbed last year before Classic came out, and oh my god they've messed up that game. Sadly, the story was really the best there was, but tday with the focus on later expansions its a total cluster f...

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    sub for at least a month its only 15.00 and more than worth the money.

SWTOR has the best leveling of any MMO out there, esp with a sub you can ignore the side quest and do the class/planet quest and stay on par if not ahead level wise when subbed.
    the animations are stiff compared to WoW's but that is most other MMO's to me. you will get sprint, "jet pack", and mounts eventually as well, again subbing helps.
    I've gone back to SWTOR recently for the same reasons and working on the repub stories, already did the empire ones, love it and the changes so far. I hear it has a new game director that is passionate about it.
    I agree with this..

$15.00 to experience the single player leveling experience is absolutely worth it. It's easily on par with single player only RPGs, and each class on both factions has a unique experience.

Unfortunately as an MMO I think SWTOR fails. The engine powering the game doesn't really work well for an MMO, so you'll notice cycling GCDs feels clunky. It really kills the PVP for me, which was promising at the start. I found the dungeons and raids to be a bit dull, but maybe you will appreciate them.

I still consider SWTOR to be a fun side game to check out every now and again, but I couldn't imagine maining SWTOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    Leveling in that game is superfun!

My only issue wth the game was the pvp and pve endgame. Everything else was fantastic!
    Hut ball is just about the most fun I’ve had in a games “battleground”. It’s been a couple years since I played swtor but their pvp battlegrounds were all more fun then any of wow’s in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

Sub up, level and experience the story. I think its worth it tbh. I didnt do much at max level though, so cant say much about that..

They do deliver quite good on story so its worth trying it out anyway! If you dont like the max level content, you have atleast had some fun leveling and doing the story

10+ Year Old Account
    What is the op class/spec PvE that you can solo the most? And PvP if different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.