Thread: Old Tank Creed

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    For me, the golden age of tanking was MoP, in which tanks would keep threat, top the damage charts, AND be responsible for mitigating and healing nearly 100% of damage taken. And no, there has never been a creed of "I am your shield, you are my sword". Only creed has generally been "You pull it you tank it"
    MoP was really boring from a tanking PoV.
    It was just all too easy

Quote Originally Posted by analmoose View Post
    That's all you needed to say bro

- - - Updated - - -

because its FUCKIN ANNOYING to run around chasing threat trying to pull mobs stuck to 5 different people when a dps decides to pull
    1) If threat is literally on 5 different people, you're not doing your job as tank of keeping threat or controlling the flow of the group (I stand by the idea that if someone else feels they need to pull, the tank is going too slow. It is rarely simply just an asshat who wants to just pull more) and the healer isn't doing their job either as any random pull will either be on the person who pulled it or the healer if they're healing....since healing produces threat.

2) You have ranged threat abilities to grab at least 1 mob, if not more and there are movement/control abilities each tank has that can help with this so if you're individually trying to pull each mob...you're doing it wrong. And tanks produce threat so easily there's really very little excuse for that many mobs to just be running rampant for more than a few seconds after a pull except that you suck as a tank.

3) Even if someone else pulls, a tank can get control of the situation (ie gather the mobs up) in very little time, typical just a few seconds. The only annoying part is when there's a ranged pull that goes wrong. But that can usually be taken care of by either breaking line of sight, using a ranged interrupt if you have one, or running to the ranged mob. There really aren't many situations where an extra pull will cause a group wipe. The actions taken are almost identical whether the tank pulls themselves or someone else does it, the only difference is whether the tank initiates the pull or not.

4) You know what else is annoying? Having a tank going so slow that someone else in the group feels the need to pull so the run goes faster. This is generally the only time I see this happening. It's VERY rare for a genuine asshat to intentionally screw up a run by pulling ahead of a tank that's already going at a respectable pace.

Quote Originally Posted by analmoose View Post
    That's all you needed to say bro

- - - Updated - - -

because its FUCKIN ANNOYING to run around chasing threat trying to pull mobs stuck to 5 different people when a dps decides to pull
    Lol, your whole answer speaks of adorableness, of how bad you actually must be at the game, that you somehow at the last 15 years of this game, you have people actually overaggroing you.

Sure, i lose threat too on a skittish week for 2 seconds from a world ranking DPS warrior friend once every 5 packs when he goes all out on a M+, but 5 mobs to 5 different people?

God it must be a completely different game if you are utterly bad, at least its probably fun for you.

"You shall not pass!"

"For the Light, For The Alliance!"

"I am their shield... they are my sword."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    MoP was really boring from a tanking PoV.
    It was just all too easy
    Did you tank Cmodes? Or heroic raids?

Sure, if you only did scenarios and LFR, it was easy. But Cmodes required you to maximize your tanking capabilities to get anywhere (Unless you were BrM, where you just spammed kegs all day on the entire instance), and solo tanking heroic bosses was extremely pleasing.

Of course, if you think tanking was boring then, it's more likely you feel tanking is boring period. So why even post?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Did you tank Cmodes? Or heroic raids?

Sure, if you only did scenarios and LFR, it was easy. But Cmodes required you to maximize your tanking capabilities to get anywhere (Unless you were BrM, where you just spammed kegs all day on the entire instance), and solo tanking heroic bosses was extremely pleasing.

Of course, if you think tanking was boring then, it's more likely you feel tanking is boring period. So why even post?
    Yes,I did.
    Well,I only did the challenges as a blood DK,which meant they were pretty much free,but I tanked all heroic raids with several classes.Tanking *was* boring then because it was too easy,period.
    the vengeance mechanic simply made tanking retarded as most tanks had self healing capabilities that benefitted from attack power in at least some way.Since we got insane amount of attack power from vengeance,it made our self healing stupidly powerful.
    On top of that,the secondary stat amounts went overboard,allowing some classes to get as much as 200% of one secondary stat,if not more.That lead to even more overpowered gameplay,which directly lead to less challenge and more boredom.
    By the time we got to SOO,tanks were so insanely powerful that it took effort to get near death even in 25H.
    Look at Garrosh P1 for example,vengeance got to such insane amounts that you'd top DPS and HPS while not requiring any external healing,where's the fun in tanking if you're not gonna struggle even in the hardest content?

Wow, some people really overreacted to my words. It's not like I'm hawkishly watching everyone to punish them for pulling adds, whether intended or not, but I also don't want to waste time over precipitate actions from impatient randoms who think they know better.
    It usually happens when I'm already tanking some pack, suddenly more mobs arrive from somewhere. Sure, you just pick them up, but if that happens again, or you see DPS rushing into packs before you even targetted them.
    If you wanna rush, say so, else go along with a chilled run, that's still faster than overpulling and wiping even just once.

That's for normal dungeons, M+ of course should be done quickly, but even there, communication is important, especially with randoms (with friends/guildies, the communication usually happens way earlier, but it's still agreeing on how to do the run)
    You can ask the tank beforehand whether they know the dungeon, or this or that strategy/path etc. But don't assume everyone knows some shortcut, or when you will use Shroud. Or simply, don't pull a pack that the tank isn't expecting you to pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    I play casual content (which is what group finder is) to have fun, not get stressed out by some random idiot who wants me to go a pace I am not comfortable with. While I agree that sometimes just doing what is necessary to finish the dungeon is the best way to go, but at the same time, when we keep going out of our way to accomodate shitty players who have zero courtesy, that simply reinforces the behaviour. Most players don't need to be told to be courteous, but some need to learn the hard way or they'll never change, and that just means more suffering for the rest of us.

If rushing the instance is that important to the person, they can either roll a tank, or group with friends/guildies. And if dps really believes that the tank is pulling significantly slower than is necessary, then the appropriate way to address is to politely suggest that the rest of the group is comfortable with bigger pulls.
    Basically this. Stress yourself all you want, but don't stress other players.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    4) You know what else is annoying? Having a tank going so slow that someone else in the group feels the need to pull so the run goes faster. This is generally the only time I see this happening. It's VERY rare for a genuine asshat to intentionally screw up a run by pulling ahead of a tank that's already going at a respectable pace.
    And yet it happens. A LOT. To the point where I've said "We can either go at my pace, which is fast enough already, or I can pull the entire instance in one go, wipe us all and make us spend time corpserunning". When the nabs continues to pull, I do just that. And the run takes longer.

I even use it during leveling. I am fully decked in heirlooms, all my alts that CAN run tankspec DO, because I am impatient myself. I start off slow to judge the group and my healer, then I increase the pace to something suitable for that exact group of people. I know what I can handle, so I pull what I can handle. If someone thinks they know better than me, I do as above. Sometimes I get kicked. Most of the time, the impatient idiot(s) does.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    For me, the golden age of tanking was MoP, in which tanks would keep threat, top the damage charts, AND be responsible for mitigating and healing nearly 100% of damage taken.
    Ah, the pinnacle of tanking. It felt good to solo tank Garrosh, topping damage and healing as a Prot Paladin.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    And yet it happens. A LOT. To the point where I've said "We can either go at my pace, which is fast enough already, or I can pull the entire instance in one go, wipe us all and make us spend time corpserunning". When the nabs continues to pull, I do just that. And the run takes longer.

I even use it during leveling. I am fully decked in heirlooms, all my alts that CAN run tankspec DO, because I am impatient myself. I start off slow to judge the group and my healer, then I increase the pace to something suitable for that exact group of people. I know what I can handle, so I pull what I can handle. If someone thinks they know better than me, I do as above. Sometimes I get kicked. Most of the time, the impatient idiot(s) does.
    Luck of the draw I guess, because I have honestly rarely seen it happening. And in the vast majority of those rare instances I have seen it happen, the group didn't wipe and the run went faster.

I can count on one hand the number of times where the group wiped as a result of a bad intentional pull from someone who was not the tank, and I've been playing this game for over 10 years.

I've seen plenty of wipes, sure, but only a couple caused by genuine asshats pulling ahead of the tank because of their "GO GO GO!" attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    Never in the 15 years of tanking have I heard other than "you pull it, you tank it"
    Do you main a tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Do you main a tank?
    I am unable to play other than a tank role D:

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmion View Post
    You might be talking about this one. It is not a tank, but a warrior one. But your question instantly reminded me of this classic:

---

I am the Warrior.

When you see me, I will, most likely, not be attired formally. I will be encased in my steel. It will be dirty, bloody, and battered. I do not have a quick tongue or eloquent speech. I know nothing of the manners of the King's court, or the ettiquette of the formal ball.

I am known by many names. Tank. Meatshield. Fighter. Brawler. Corpse.

I am the Warrior.

I have not the capability, nor the inclination, to hide. I cannot strike from stealth with devastating blows, then fade into the darkness. I cannot incinerate a foe from twenty paces away. I cannot deal death from a distance, safe from the return attacks of my enemy. In order to kill, I must close with the enemy. I see his eyes. I smell his breath. I taste his fear. And he tastes mine.

I cannot bend Nature to do my bidding. I cannot tap into the Nether and force it to do what I command. I cannot study the arcane and master it to my control. I command nought but my mind, my body, and my will. It is by those, and those alone, that I stand or fall.

I have no friends on my journey. No walkers of the void, summoned from the Nether as servants and bodyguards. No loyal beasts of the plains or woods, to defend me and comfort me in my pain. My sole companion is my weapon. I must care for it better than any hunter has ever cared for his beast. I must master it more than any warlock has ever mastered his demon. Without me, it is useless. Without it, I am nothing.

I cannot heal. I cannot shield. I cannot call upon the gods and see my prayers answered. I call to the spirits of my ancestors in the heat of battle, and they are silent. My only ability to protect is to offer myself, my blood and bone and sinew, as a sacrifice. To draw the attacks of our foes. To take the blows that would kill a lesser being, and continue to fight on.

I cannot kill with the speed and grace of the rogue, the suddenness and shock of the hunter, or the flamboyance and power of the mage. When I kill, it is a slow business. Slow and bloody for all concerned, myself included. I fight on, pummeled and battered so that my companions may receive the glory of the kill and the wreaths of victory. If I die and they yet live, it is an expected sacrifice.

I come in all races, all sizes. I fight under a thousand flags, on a million battlefields. I am dismissed by the highborn, scorned by the noble, lectured by the priest, and forgotten by the peasant. Until the time when the trumpets of battle sound, and those who would destroy them come forth. And then the cry goes up..."Where, oh where, is the Warrior?"

Pray to your gods that I continue to answer that call.

Few do answer the call. Fewer still survive. It is a long and hard road, this way of the Warrior. Along it lie pain, and fear, and death. Scant rewards and scanter gratitude. At the end, for most, is an anonymous grave on some windblown battlefield. If they are lucky.

And yet, I fight on. I do not even know why. Perhaps for glory, perhaps for fame, perhaps for money, perhaps for my country, perhaps for my family. Perhaps it is simply all I know how to do. But fight I will. Whether you appreciate it or not. Whether you even notice it or not. I will be out there, on the battle lines. Fighting. Killing. Dying.

I am the Warrior.

Death is my business.

Be it yours...or mine.
    This is the one OP is referring to I believe. I remember this going around Wrath days ~2010 (when I started), I'm surprised most others don't know of it. It seemed popular at the time.

Have no idea other than possibly old forums that it originated from though.

“Don’t be new on other people’s time.”

As an old tank, who plays every tank spec in the game, this has been drilled into me as MMO tanking unwritten rule #1.

My creed is "put away that shitty ass voidwalker and bring out a dps pet so this doesn't take all month, and turn off growl you huntard!" =)
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    My creed is "put away that shitty ass voidwalker and bring out a dps pet so this doesn't take all month, and turn off growl you huntard!" =)
    Let the pet die, eventually the hunter will get tired of reviving it, and either switch pets or switch off growl. Trust me, i even do this to my wife when we run dungeons. I give her a single comment "turn off growl" then its a dead doggo.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    “Don’t be new on other people’s time.”

As an old tank, who plays every tank spec in the game, this has been drilled into me as MMO tanking unwritten rule #1.
    Which is a ridiculous saying, mainly because it's an oxymoron. Can't get a job without experience....can't get experience without a job, type thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Which is a ridiculous saying, mainly because it's an oxymoron. Can't get a job without experience....can't get experience without a job, type thing.
    Oh I totally agree, it’s 100% a self-parodying idea... that is highly prevalent!

5+ Year Old Account
    In my experience, the overzealous, ADHD-stricken DPS who pulls half the dungeon for the sake of padding meters, tends to happen only in very newbie content (i.e. everything below M5 or so).

Not that an M6 is hard by any definition of the word, but DDs tend to be much more polite and "on the level" in M6+. As for raids, idk what it's like, since I never pug them.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    Let the pet die, eventually the hunter will get tired of reviving it, and either switch pets or switch off growl. Trust me, i even do this to my wife when we run dungeons. I give her a single comment "turn off growl" then its a dead doggo.
    These days sadly the blueberries just don't die so eventually the damn thing will taunt, take aggro and the boss will whirl around, cleave some melee, frontal cone from ranged, and of course it's my fault. Hate blueberries.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.