Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

boomer, doomer, millenial etc

What do those terms mean? Asking unironically cuz i dont know
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

10+ Year Old Account
    never heard of the word doomer before this. the other two are terms for generations of people.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

7+ Year Old Account
    As far as I can tell:
    Boomer is another way to say out of touch
    Doomer is a cynic who’s given up
    Millennial is...well a millennial. Alternatively, someone who is spoiled/entitled.

Urban Dictionary often has definitions for weird internet slang. It’s user submitted so keep that in mind if you want to take what the site says as the definition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Boomer is short for baby boomer, basically the generation that was born before 1965~.
    Same goes for millenials as the name suggest are the ones born around the 2000's~.

Never heard of doomer tho, maybe you mean zoomer?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Ooid View Post
    As far as I can tell:
    Boomer is another way to say out of touch
    Doomer is a cynic who’s given up
    Millennial is...well a millennial. Alternatively, someone who is spoiled/entitled.

Urban Dictionary often has definitions for weird internet slang. It’s user submitted so keep that in mind if you want to take what the site says as the definition.

babyboomer ww2 to 1965
    Gen X = 1966-1980 ish
    millenials = gen Y = 1980/4 to 1996 roughly
    present day kids are gen Z

A 'Doomer' is someone who believes that the global problems, including, but not limited to those of ecological exhaustion, such as overpopulation, climate change, and pollution–will cause the collapse of civilization, significant human population die-off, and potentially lead to eventual human extinction.[1][2] The ideology is defined in opposition to the more optimistic outlooks on life. Doomers hold the belief that government corruption, civilian apathy, and/or structural oppression are unfixable.

Quote Originally Posted by Aenigma84 View Post
    babyboomer ww2 to 1965
    Gen X = 1966-1980 ish
    millenials = gen Y = 1980/4 to 1996 roughly
    present day kids are gen Z
    I'd say Gen X ends a bit later.

Millennials are supposed to have grown up in the new millennium.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't forget Zoomer, slang for generation z.

I mean, a simple Google search would help you more..

Quote Originally Posted by Neenaw View Post

Millennial - Wikipedia

Oxford Living Dictionaries describes a millennial as "a person reaching young adulthood in the early 21st century."[24] Jonathan Rauch, senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, wrote for The Economist in 2018 that "generations are squishy concepts", but the 1981 to 1996 birth cohort is a "widely accepted" definition for millennials.[25] Reuters also states that millennials are "widely accepted as having been born between 1981 and 1996."
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    In the modern (online) context, basically they are memes caricaturing certain personality types.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/oomer-wojaks

Traditionally boomer, millennial, etc., were references to the generation one was born in.

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    Millennial - Wikipedia

Oxford Living Dictionaries describes a millennial as "a person reaching young adulthood in the early 21st century."[24] Jonathan Rauch, senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, wrote for The Economist in 2018 that "generations are squishy concepts", but the 1981 to 1996 birth cohort is a "widely accepted" definition for millennials.[25] Reuters also states that millennials are "widely accepted as having been born between 1981 and 1996."
    As humans develop at different speeds, it would vary depending on the person I guess.

We agree on the "a person reaching young adulthood in the early 21st century." bit but the dates seem a bit contradictory to me. I would have said a 19 year old has already reached young adulthood.

I certainly don't class myself as a milennial and before the term even existed, my year at school was always referred to Gen X.

Quote Originally Posted by Neenaw View Post

1984 = 16 at 2000
    most seem to go for 1984 not 1980 so that seems to fit

Quote Originally Posted by WKOstarion View Post
    A 'Doomer' is someone who believes that the global problems, including, but not limited to those of ecological exhaustion, such as overpopulation, climate change, and pollution–will cause the collapse of civilization, significant human population die-off, and potentially lead to eventual human extinction.[1][2] The ideology is defined in opposition to the more optimistic outlooks on life. Doomers hold the belief that government corruption, civilian apathy, and/or structural oppression are unfixable.
    Didn't realize that doomer was a thing, but I am definitely a doomer. Those problems are unfixable in the current democratic climate. It requires a willpower and a top-down approach that can only be manifested in a totalitarian government.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    So you can answer yourself in the future. https://www.urbandictionary.com/

Boomer is apparently a word for people who preferred Windows 7 :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    Millennial - Wikipedia

I really hate being grouped with people who were born in the 90's....
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Boomer is short for baby boomer, basically the generation that was born before 1965~.
    Same goes for millenials as the name suggest are the ones born around the 2000's~.

Never heard of doomer tho, maybe you mean zoomer?
    Millennials were born in the 80s to mid-90s. Everyone born after '96 is a part of Gen Z (zoomer) and everyone born after 2015 is supposedly a part of Gen Alpha (the newest generation).

They're population cohorts.

Baby Boomer: born 1946 - 1964
    Generation X: born 1965 - 1980
    Millennial: born 1981 - 1996

They were made up by some fluff "science" in the late 80s and crappy media continues to obsess over them like they're horoscopes or something. Actually I take that back, at least newspaper horoscopes divide the planet into twelve groups instead of treating everyone born in a 15 year period as the same somehow.

Also, the exact dates vary (because this shit is made up and isn't based on anything real) and people have started to just use "Boomer" to refer to old out of touch people even if they aren't actually in that age group, and "Millennials" as "those darn kids these days" despite the fact they're in their 30s by now.

TLDR: it's all horseshit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Boomer is apparently a word for people who preferred Windows 7 :P
    I'm still running it on this machine...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    You could just find that on the internet, with Google for instance.