Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Allied Race Deathknight Intro disappointment.

credit to
    Bad Juice

I am pretty much disappointed with this lazy implementation of the new Deathknight starting area for the allied races.

To overall TLDR this thread. The starting zone starts like every other allied race;

You get small intro>talk to the main guy>wishes you well on your journey ahead > you get a quest item and you start leveling vanilla zones.

It's comparable to the other Allied Races, I don't know what you were expecting.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

This is exactly what they announced.

They said this a long time ago, why be disappointed now?

What more do you want/need? Do you go back to the original DK starting area, ever? Aside from Acherus to runeforge.

Why waste too much manpower on something more than it needs to be?

I don't know, you wanted content worth three whole expansions to introduce your underleveled alt ?

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    It's comparable to the other Allied Races, I don't know what you were expecting.
    Yes, and thats the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alosiboy View Post
    They said this a long time ago, why be disappointed now?

What they said was, that allied races will get a DK starting zone. It was up to them on how creative the starting zone would be. They've went for the lazy option.
    People paid deluxe shadowland edition to get an early access to the DKs right? How is that fun or anything. The quests didn't even mention shadowlands

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    You know, It's not as if we have another DK starting zone to compare it too or anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Oblider View Post
    I don't know, you wanted content worth three whole expansions to introduce your underleveled alt ?
    No, people expected the same quality as the last DK starting zone. It's not that hard to comprehend, stop being facetious, no one said that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Araxie View Post
    What more do you want/need? Do you go back to the original DK starting area, ever? Aside from Acherus to runeforge.

Why waste too much manpower on something more than it needs to be?
    Spend some, LITTLE amount of time on lore building. This dev used to be good at it. The fact that anyone is defending this is pretty disappointing, if it had anything different other than a quest, i could see it but fucking christ.

Quote Originally Posted by Savant View Post

What they said was, that allied races will get a DK starting zone.
    so.
    what they actually said was:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Pandaren and Allied Race Death Knights have a new starting experience and arise as champions of Lich King Bolvar at Icecrown amongst their spectral peers.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/23227148

nothing about a zone.

so, no, this is wrong.

they told us exactly what was coming. and the starting experience played out exactly how they said it would. those who read and understood knew this.

the others including yourself however... well,
    Last edited by WraithKingOstarion; 2020-01-15 at 03:36 PM.

The quests didn't even mention shadowlands

You're not suppose to know about that yet. This all happens before Emo Elf Queen takes the crown.

They dont even know about "the hidden threat" they just sense it. Like they literally just said in the video posted.

Quote Originally Posted by WKOstarion View Post
    so.
    what they actually said was:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Pandaren and Allied Race Death Knights have a new starting experience and arise as champions of Lich King Bolvar at Icecrown amongst their spectral peers.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/23227148

nothing about a zone.

so, no, this is wrong.

they told us exactly what was coming. and the starting experience played out exactly how they said it would. those who read and understood knew this.

the others including yourself however... well,

The bluepost you quoted is irrelevant. Still does not excuse their poor lazy implementation. I never stated that I expected better than wotlk DK zone, but I expected more than a quest telling me I am a new DK , heres your wep and piss off do your thing.

Okay, even though this is exactly what I was expecting, this is still pretty sloppy. Default sky box, no unique zone music, default loading screen (didn't even remove the WotLK logo!!), sloppily implemented quest text, no special RP text in towns and, perhaps worst of all, no real acknowledgement that this is a significant shift in the actions of Bolvar's Lich King. They don't even end by sending you to the faction leaders to introduce yourself.

The problem (other than the clear minimal intern-level effort put into the whole setup), I think, is that they've attempted to future proof this scenario so they can backwards integrate future allied races etc. into this start. So they don't send you to a faction leader because that might change and need updating in the future. They don't note any of the circumstances of how you came to be risen by the Lich King because saying "I have plucked you from the Broken Shore where your body was left to rot by those who called you Champion" would beg the question "Well how did a [unspecified future race from Shadowlands] end up there?!"

And in doing so they have extricated this from the Shadowlands narrative. Or the BfA narrative. Or really any narrative. It's just a thing, that happens, unceremoniously and without any grandeur. I didn't expect the original DK intro's level of investment or excitement. That was a special thing. But this doesn't even meet my already lowered, bare-minimum standards for a whole lot of reasons.

The bluepost you quoted is irrelevant.
    well, no it's not irrelevant as it's very relevant to showing that you were just plain wrong in your initial justification.

and at the end of the day, i don't know what YOU expected given what they actually said. sounds like it's an issue with you and people who think similarly. they did not promise nor imply anything more than what they said.

but since it's irrelevant, it sounds like you just need to whine for the sake for whining.

5+ Year Old Account
    If Shadowlands as a whole is going to have the same quality that this, um... intro, then it would seem that it isn't worth a penny. Not as a pre-order, in any case.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Yes, and thats the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

What they said was, that allied races will get a DK starting zone. It was up to them on how creative the starting zone would be. They've went for the lazy option.
    People paid deluxe shadowland edition to get an early access to the DKs right? How is that fun or anything. The quests didn't even mention shadowlands
    No, what they said was that the DK 'starting zone' would be like the starting zones for the allied races. That's exactly what they said.

I don't see the problem. Why would Blizzard waste resources on making a zone that less than 20% of players will ever see, and everyone who does see it will be there for less than a day and then never go back for any reason?

Like who really cares, you'll make your DK and get back into normal Azeroth within an hour anyway, not like it makes any difference whatsoever.

10+ Year Old Account
    The bluepost you quoted is irrelevant. Still does not excuse their poor lazy implementation. I never stated that I expected better than wotlk DK zone, but I expected more than a quest telling me I am a new DK , heres your wep and piss off do your thing.
    Wouldn't say it is irrelevant.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

There will be a new starting zone in Shadowlands, it's just not a DK specific one. It will be usable for DKs and DHs and they will start at lvl 1.

The way it works right now is just to milk that awesome pre order money.

Quote Originally Posted by thesmall001 View Post
    Okay, even though this is exactly what I was expecting, this is still pretty sloppy. Default sky box, no unique zone music, default loading screen (didn't even remove the WotLK logo!!), sloppily implemented quest text, no special RP text in towns and, perhaps worst of all, no real acknowledgement that this is a significant shift in the actions of Bolvar's Lich King. They don't even end by sending you to the faction leaders to introduce yourself.

The problem (other than the clear minimal intern-level effort put into the whole setup), I think, is that they've attempted to future proof this scenario so they can backwards integrate future allied races etc. into this start. So they don't send you to a faction leader because that might change and need updating in the future. They don't note any of the circumstances of how you came to be risen by the Lich King because saying "I have plucked you from the Broken Shore where your body was left to rot by those who called you Champion" would beg the question "Well how did a [unspecified future race from Shadowlands] end up there?!"

And in doing so they have extricated this from the Shadowlands narrative. Or the BfA narrative. Or really any narrative. It's just a thing, that happens, unceremoniously and without any grandeur. I didn't expect the original DK intro's level of investment or excitement. That was a special thing. But this doesn't even meet my already lowered, bare-minimum standards for a whole lot of reasons.
    Exactly this. They made it generic so it fits any future allied race. But I definitely think they could have spruced it up a bit more. I appreciate the little things in life (and undeath.)

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    I don't see the problem. Why would Blizzard waste resources on making a zone that less than 20% of players will ever see, and everyone who does see it will be there for less than a day and then never go back for any reason?
    You could say that about any starting zone, except maybe Elwynn or Eversong.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.