Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Daevelian View Post
    So this is how far the Lore forum has fallen? Eesh.
    I take it back, BfA is not the lowest the games lore could have gone, this thread proves that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    And just like the thread before it, let's back away from sexualizing Azshara and return to the original topic at hand.

~1200 over 14 years. Seems fine.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

my wow account is just under 1800 bucks since the beginning of the game started. all im getting out of it is entertainment..
    “Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life” “Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.”

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Let's try and figure out how much wow has actually cost you. Can you figure it out? or give a rough estimate? Are you brave enough?

Game purchase + expansions + game time + character services + game shop

How many cups of coffee is that?

What about time spent? That's also a cost factor right?

Then throw in exams, opportuniteis, jobs, relationships, trips, vacations, family members etc

Have I missed any other cost factors?[/FONT][/COLOR]
    You need to work on your definition of cost. You also failed to take into account what WoW has SAVED us.

Had we not been playing WoW, how much MORE money might we have spent on other things?

What if, instead of WoW, we took up skiing, and now we're paralyzed from a back/neck injury?

What if, instead of WoW, we took up skydiving, and now we're dead.

What if, instead of WoW, we went out, met another human, got married, then had one or more children?! Just think how much THAT would have cost us!

If you simply want to talk about the sum total of cash we've spent on WoW-related stuff, I'll tell you right now that I spent over $2000 just on the TCG card sets over the years when they were being sold. I did end up selling a couple of Spectral Tigers, so there's that.

I've gone through periods where I multi-boxed eight accounts. I've probably spent well over $6000 in the last fifteen years just on direct-to-Blizzard transactions.

That's less than half of what I spend on a one-week vacation, so that's pretty trivial.

For me, you can add on the amount I have spent on eBay to purchase rare pets (mostly murloc's from previous Blizzcons), the CE of TBC and some mounts/pets I couldn't be bothered to farm or buy in-game!

I hate to think how much I have spent overall, but at least 3 gaming PC's have been bought to play it (though obviously not just WoW). At a guess, £10k? I could be way out either way though, up or down! Scary though tho...

If we're talking just subscription + expansions for the 2 accounts I've paid for for 15 years, about $6,720 (after tax). That's not including my yearly BlizzCon Ticket/Virtual Ticket purchases or mounts/pets or TCG packs from back in the day. I've also bought a few character boosts since they launched (like 3-4) and bought a few server/faction transfers over the years.

I checked 5 months ago. It was around 1.3k on Blizzard games over a period of 9 years, approximately $1100 on WoW.

It turns out WoW is a really cheap hobby compared to ESO which came at 3.4k in just 20 months. It also proved that i have no self control whatsoever when shinies are constantly being shoved down my throat. Needless to say, i stopped playing ESO immediately after i checked.

Pretty expensive since electricity is not free and neither is buying a computer every few years.

Just electricity alone is higher than the cost of sub + expansions

It has probably saved me thousands upon thousands not buying any other games. And that's exactly why I think this thread is stupid since I bet it's the same for almost everyone else.

Everything sad_thanos.jpg

It's like a comment like this was just...inevitable

on topic: probably less than a smoker pays for burning money during the same period
    Last edited by Enter Name Here; 2020-01-16 at 08:09 AM.

Assuming one has play for 10 years. Averagely 2 hours a day - very casual.

Excluding public holidays and weekends, that is roughly 10 (years) x 250 (working days days) x 2 (hours / day) = 5000 hours.

I don't know how much min wage is in your country, but If you had worked at McDonald, with only $10 / hour , that would be $50,000.

Now, that estimation was very very generous. Many people have played way more. Imagine if you had actually worked for a good career, or learnt a skill, how much have you lost?

Quote Originally Posted by october breeze View Post
    Assuming one has play for 10 years. Averagely 2 hours a day - very casual.

Excluding public holidays and weekends, that is roughly 10 (years) x 250 (working days days) x 2 (hours / day) = 5000 hours.

I don't know how much min wage is in your country, but If you had worked at McDonald, with only $10 / hour , that would be $50,000.

Now, that estimation was very very generous. Many people have played way more. Imagine if you had actually worked for a good career, or learnt a skill, how much have you lost?
    Some of us were already making more than $75k when WoW released in 2004.

WoW was what I did in my leisure time. It sounds like a nightmare to have spent all of that time in a second job rather than having fun at home playing WoW.

Are you an agent of N'zoth, here to give us horrific visions of alternative realities?!

I just checked, and I have over 275 days played just on my main. It's not even my original main. I started on a PvP server, played for a year, then the RL friend that made us play on a PvP server quit, and we made characters on a PvE realm. That's been my main ever since. This doesn't include time spent on alts.

So, here I am, 15 years later, with my student loans, current car (purchased new), and house all paid off.

I stopped playing WoW for about a year, and the only thing I did was watch a bunch of movies (Netflix/Redbox) instead.

Divide the $7000ish I've spent on WoW over 15 years, and it's trivial. The entertainment cost savings from playing WoW is what allowed me to get all of my bills paid off.

Now, think about the people who pay $200 per month for cable TV. THAT is a sad $36000.00 waste.
    Last edited by joebob42; 2020-01-16 at 09:16 AM.

This kind of topics is way more fun at gear-forums for DSLR.

Spending 15.000 EUR+ for gear and using it for a few hours per year, would blow up some of the gamer/smartphone minds of this forum.
    Spending money on cars, motorbikes or just road bikes per year/timeframe dwars anything you could ever spend even over 15 years for this MMO.

You basicly need to mutibox for years and years with exotic hardware/internet requirements to even get a cost that would be even significant for any kind of hobby comparison to the usual top 10.
    hidden information WoWArmory | Raider.IO | WoWProg | logs Logs1 | Logs2 | Logs3

I've been playing since vanilla. So, just on sub that's roughly 2000€? Then I've faction changed a lot of times over the years and transferred chars, probably for like 2000€ in total.

Since vanilla hmm i was counting this once a time and it was around 500$ but it was few years ago. Now its probably twice of it so around 1000$ i think. I used character transfer 2 or 3 times as i remember the rest is just sub and expansions. And tbh its not huge amount of money for fun i got along these years.
    Last edited by czarek; 2020-01-16 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    This kind of topics is way more fun at gear-forums for DSLR.

Spending 15.000 EUR+ for gear and using it for a few hours per year, would blow up some of the gamer/smartphone minds of this forum.
    Spending money on cars, motorbikes or just road bikes per year/timeframe dwars anything you could ever spend even over 15 years for this MMO.

You basicly need to mutibox for years and years with exotic hardware/internet requirements to even get a cost that would be even significant for any kind of hobby comparison to the usual top 10.
    Yup! That's what My last post pretty much covers. I have friends I went to high school with and friends I went to college with who never played WoW. They started good careers at the same time as I did, and they're still in debt. Many are still paying off student loans. I don't know any of them who have their car and house paid off too.

I used to go skiing and golfing with them. They never stopped those things. I'm not quite as toned as I was back then, but I'm in reasonably good physical shape. I'm in MUCH better financial shape, thanks in large part to WoW.

something about 3000 euros. (14 years) gametime, expansions, shop, virtual tickets
    Last edited by kappalol; 2020-01-16 at 09:57 AM.

Around 1700 euros - includes expansions, collectibles and whatnot. Would have been around double if not for token and a little gold trading before that.

Considering that's for around 12 years, it's around 12 euros per month. That's equal to going to 1 movie so it's basically nothing. Especially considering that when going out for a drink I usually spend around anywhere from 30 to 50.

Now outside of money. Some social life in high school and a bit in the first years of college (eventually dropped hardcore raiding), but even then, when I was a hardcore raider I was playing on the US servers from EU, so raiding from 2-3 AM to 6-7AM.

Approx 2600 GBP, 13 something years playing. Don't consider it wasted bar £120 ish for a year I stayed sub and never logged on
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate