Poll: While playing BfA, did it feel like an Old God themed expansion to you?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakana View Post
    Ye but now you have the whole patch because there won't be a 8.3.5. I just feel like i wanted Old God theme sooner, and that faction war was indeed anti-climatic, i really didn't enjoy (as i got super tired of) Sylvanas.
    Sylvanas been so far up my nose from day one of BfA, I was starting to feel her boots on my chin. And to cap it all off, after a near expansion's worth of putting up with her, we didn't even get to put the bitch in ice, and have to deal with her again, maybe for a whole expansion. Something else souring me on Shadowlands.

4 of 5 raids were about Old Gods or their minions.
    Uldir, Crucible of Storms, Eternal Place, Nyalotha.

Quote Originally Posted by Spazlord View Post
    You’d have to be pants on head stupid to not realise that BFA has been old gods the whole way.

First of all, we’re using titan facilities the entire time. Hint ...

Second of all: Ghuun, Azshara, Crucible of Storms. All old god raids.

Thirdly: we got a friggin eye of nzoth on our damn heads.

Pants on head.

Every single expansion ever has been a 2 pronged story and “the faction war” was clearly a mere 1 of those prongs.
    Seems to me like we were clearly setting up FOR the Old God expansion, not this somehow turning into one.

I remember back in beta that most people already knew that the whole faction conflict was just a smokescreen for the big bad guy to come in the last patch. Though as it turns out the faction conflict was an entirely different story that supposedly ended in 8.2.5, where N'zoth feels more like a side story. Even the BFA cover was AvH themed and had nothing to do with Old God's.

I wish they didn't just shove down so many possibly good stories all at once into one expansion (Zandalar, Kul'Tiras, faction conflict, Azshara, Mechagon, Old God's, Magni and his Hearth of Azeroth stuff, random allied races stories that might not even be finished (looking at Mag'har and Hitler Yrel), Tyrande becoming a night warrior or whatever it was called), as it just felt like a jumbled mess.

Zandalar, Kul'Tiras, Mechagon and Nazjatar could've been zones in a proper South Sea expansion that introduces a few more islands and have a more pirate/sea theming. Nya'lotha could've been its own expansion that also uses all the Magni stories.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Yeah man they've been so subtle about it.

Like at launch when we had an Old God dungeon.

And then an Old God raid with a Herald of N'Zoth.

Then 8.1 happened and there was a raid inside a part of N'Zoth.

Then 8.2 happened and we were fighting minions of Old Gods, being constantly whispered to by the Old Gods, and then freed an Old God at the end.

So subtle.
    And it was all whispers and allusions which would HINT at the NEXT expansion. The story of this one was supposed to be the faction war starting and ending. Imagine if the story did the same thing with Arthas. We're fighting each other for faction war and we just oopsie slip into some undead catacombs beneath Stratholme and thats the first raid. And then Anub'arak sinks players fighting in the Barrens underground into the SPOOKY underground Nerubian caves woooow. And then Thrall kills some guy and flies away into the sky where Arthas is waiting as the final boss on Sindragosa.

Neat.

Wait wait wait better one: Wrath of Lich King but instead Yogg Saron was the last boss SURPRISE IT WAS AN OLD GOD EXPANSION
    Last edited by Hctaz; 2020-01-16 at 07:24 PM.

Warcraft has 3 main villains, the Burning Legion, the Scourge, and the Old Gods. The Legion and Scourge were defeated.

That explains why this expansion is Old God focused, and in the next one they're doing something with the Scourge and death. That's also why they introduced the Void as a fourth antagonist at the end of Legion, and Death in BFA/Shadowlands. Having made Horde warchiefs villains twice so far, they desperately need new bad guys. I suspect Tyrande is next for that.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2020-01-16 at 07:25 PM.

Nzoth should have been dealt with in Cataclysm tbh

I knew, it'd be the old God expansion the moment bfa was announced.
    I mean, it's called battle FOR azeroth for a reason.

It was disguised as a H vs. A expansion, so that people with little brain capacity would not see tee obvious instantly.

If bfa had been a true H vs. A expansion, it would have been called battle OVER azeroth.

everyone thought bfa would be an old god expansion disguised as a faction war in the first act but it was actually a faction war expansion for all 3 acts except it had some out of place old god raids and in the end n'zoth came out and did nothing then died forever immediately.

they also failed completely at connecting the faction war and old gods. the two big theories were either that n'zoth was the big brain behind the faction war or n'zoth was trying to prepare us for something. both are wrong. sylvanas was the big brain behind the faction war and n'zoth did nothing despite having a presence throughout the expansion. azshara wasn't even really working for him she had made a deal with sylvanas.

all the cinematics and storytelling effort was put into sylvanas and sadfang's horde reich adventures.

n'zoth literally did nothing he was just hanging around for the entire expansion waiting for blizzard to call his number so he could be killed in a raid and they could pretend that this expansion was a masterpiece of misdirection and no one expected it was really an old gods story

well it wasn't an old gods story because i remember playing bfa and i remember that the story of bfa was that the horde are actually embarrassing pathological fascists. and they botched their attempt to save the horde's face too. they needed to have the horde actively disobey sylvanas at orgrimmar and change sides before sylvanas gave the game away. instead the horde changed sides after sylvanas was revealed making their defiance a reactive act of self-preservation.

welp at least we made it through the expansion and there's no 8.3.5. only the old gods, entire horde, and night elves were flushed down the blizzard lore toilet this time. hopefully the next expansion we will only have to watch the writers ruin one race or faction at most.
    they hated sillag because he told them the truth

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I remember back in beta that most people already knew that the whole faction conflict was just a smokescreen for the big bad guy to come in the last patch. Though as it turns out the faction conflict was an entirely different story that supposedly ended in 8.2.5, where N'zoth feels more like a side story. Even the BFA cover was AvH themed and had nothing to do with Old God's.
    Yeah, just like Blizzard were just making stuff up not having Kil'jaeden on the box of BC, amirite? /s
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

I feel like it was a shitty version of MoP, minus the last patch involving a raid on Sylvanas and her group. What a letdown.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If anything BFA was too obviously the Old God expansion. Even when it was desperately trying to convince us it was about a Faction War.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    If you say it's clear or it's obvious it doesn't actually make it like that. You actually have no proof either way. Just as an idea, who would have been the big bad, then? Sylvanas? Yeah right.

OT, pretty sure everyone realized we were heading for an Old Gods thing. Even if you didn't figure it was gonna be in this patch, we at least thought it would happen in the next expansion.
    The one thing that was there to give a sure clue was the fact that we had no "big bad" - Sylvanas wasn't gonna be it.
    The "big bad" was the faction war, that is how Blizzard marketed BfA. Why do you deny this? The old gods stuff was hinted at for the next expansion before they arrived at this afterlife BS that is Shadowlands. I wouldn't be surprised if the same people who defended WoD as "not a time travel expansion but an expansion with time travel as a theme" label Shadowlands as "not an afterlife expansion but an expansion with an afterlife theme".

well, Ny'alotha should have a landmass to quest for and kill rares, but this did not happen.

Deathwing had no zone for himself, too in cataclysm and he was N'zoths most powerful servant at the time so this just seems fitting.

I hoped N'zoth would reanimate all the other dead old gods to screw us and create a void titan with azeroth.

But, oh well shadowlands kicks in out from nowhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    I feel like it was a shitty version of MoP, minus the last patch involving a raid on Sylvanas and her group. What a letdown.
    the 4th war campaign was a waste.

There was not even 1 final battle in OG. Just a duel, where sylvanas screwed up like an angry kid and had to leave.

While in WC each war ended in a big battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post
    I totally didn't even realize this, N'Zoth is the final boss and BfA was totally supposed to be the Old God expansion that people have been asking for. I totally thought BfA was leading up to an Old God expansion with maybe like the rise of the Black Empire or something. But nope, I'm pretty sure Blizzard intended for BfA to be the Old God expansion and I don't think people had any idea.

Yikes.
    I love how both poll results are the same - making you right. What a fantastic way to start an open discussion.

Always remember BFA isn't about old gods.

It's just about some warlords being morally grey.

10+ Year Old Account
    With the major Old Gods dealt with, I think we'll transition from here to the Void as the next major eldritch threat.

Maybe the Void Lords will send us some more Old Gods to deal with!

Its actually both South Seas AND Old God expansion in one. Who could expect 2 most requested themes mashed together could result in this xD

The ultimate proof that Blizzard shouldn't listen to fanbois on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

How ignorant do you have to be to miss this until now?

Holy shit.. you're right!
    Una melodía tocada por las cuerdas de nuestras almas,
    y el ritmo que nos sacudió hasta el hueso