Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I suppose with the world first race, we will see how people actually do have alts to test mechanics.

Now...sure, those are maniacs...but on the other hand: If every one else has this problem with catching up alts...then certain you can raid with a group of catch up altoholics.

Unless ofc your goal is to bring your alts into the latest content so they can be as geared as your main.

Which opens up the debate of what is a main, what is an alt. Maybe I am more in the "I don't care" camp, because ever since Classic and in TBC I just could never bring an alt (gear / attunements). WotLK actually was the greatest time. my main raided progressively and my alts were in 10 man normal groups or did Naxx. At no point did I expect my alts to ever be able to enter the progression raid.

Sure, there were times when we lost important members and somebody geared an alt to take the role - but then the raid helped (and if sometimes means losing painful weeks of progression)

So...I guess most of all I am curious what exactly y'all are doing on your alts and expecting them to be able to do?

- - - Updated - - -

Seeing that you joined in 2012, you must be aware that the very same thing was regularely said about Ghostcrawler. Seeing I joined here in 2008 (and was a lurker before), I can tell you the same thing was said about the lead devs before Ion and GC.

"Blizzard - killing the game since 2005 thanks to their "lack of vision and horrible game design" - sincerely your forum posters ^^
    It's more true now than it was then to be honest. Ghostcrawler i thought did a good job but it was Activision's interference that screwed it all up. Ion just isn't a game developer. He's a lawyer posing as one.

Mechagnome
    Well, I spent ages doing the chain on my main, because I did the side quests and dailies as I went. So today I grabbed an alt (ilevel 315) and went through, doing the main questline only. 3-1/2 hours in and I got into the first actual vision. At that point the game dumped me out with a "Your gametime has expired" message (5 minutes earlier it had said "You have 30 minutes of gametime left"), so I called it a day. I'm sure with practice and focus that could come down to 3 hours, but all that travelling takes a lot of time, and the assaults aren't fast either, especially if your ilevel isn't 8.2 high m+ or mythic raid level.

That's a lot of time to spend just to be able to do the new content. Compare with Timeless Isle where you could just turn up and do it, and tokens were so common that you alts could have a full set of armour immediately. Even Tanaan (which I didn't much like) was more alt friendly than this.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    Seriously. These are the same people that apparently do have the time to level 50 alts but then complain about a relatively short quest chain.

Playerbase doesn't even know what it wants anymore. Most people just shake their fist at the sky and complain about _________.
    Take your time and realize that different people complain about different things.

A 3 hour quest chain in a patch that will last ~a year, that rewards an orange item you will be using and gradually upgrading throughout the patch, that has the most alt-friendly catchup mechanic we've probably ever seen is alt-unfriendly?

8.3 in itself is incredibly alt-friendly as all the content takes minimal amount of time to complete.

Mechagnome
    It's really not. Having a great lump of time be spent opening content (and remember a new L120 has to open the 8.2 content first) before you can engage the content is junk, even if the rest is supposedly quick and easy (note - by previous standards it's not especially).

So...spending 2 hours to get BIS item for the slot is what killing alts?
    Half of that time is visions. So doing visions is killing alts? What if they give us that cloak for free so we can upgrade it...by doing visions?
    Interesting thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sativex View Post
    It's at the MOP portals in SW/Org for Uldum and for Vale take the Jade Forest portal from SW/Org.
    Yeah, that I knew, takes way too long to get anywhere
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
    30 seconds is too long to fly?
    You want a teleport from mob to mob too, maybe a instakill button well we're at it?
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinnersGrin View Post
    If Tinkers aren't the next class in WoW I'll shit in my hands and clap then eat my shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dikka View Post
    So...spending 2 hours to get BIS item for the slot is what killing alts?
    Playing the game is killing alts. Its not fair that we should have to play the game. /s

Quote Originally Posted by Sativex View Post
    30 seconds is too long to fly?
    You want a teleport from mob to mob too, maybe a instakill button well we're at it?
    It's as taliesin said... We have these mages that can keep a portal open to fucking exodar, but can't open a portal to where we need to be because an old god is invading?
    That's retarded.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    It's more true now than it was then to be honest. Ghostcrawler i thought did a good job but it was Activision's interference that screwed it all up. Ion just isn't a game developer. He's a lawyer posing as one.
    It's easy for us to say that retrospectively but Ghostcrawler got so much shit back in Cata it was unreal. The amount of whine posts about Ghostcrawler was the same we get of Ion now, just to all to a slightly different tune.

I'm not saying Ion isn't accountable for mistakes but people tend to, and do, lash out at just about any contemporary public figure.

For me "alting" is about hitting endgame in a short way with skipping pretty much all chains and area uncloking dump. If i had done legendary cloak on my main, world questes, assaults etc. They should be available for my alt just when max lvl is dinged. If some want do this there should be like smth like "chromie" for past exp zones. Thats my opinion and vision of alting. Cheers.

I've spent about 14 hours at 120 on my alt and within the first week rank 6 cloak, 75 neck and 430 ilvl. Was surprised at how quick from 100-120 I leveled an alt and now at the bare minimum for starting serious 8.3 content.

The only thing still about alts that bugs me is the essences ranks although they aren't absolutely necessary, everything else regarding catch-up I'm pleasantly surprised with.

Yep, as of the latest changes cloak catch-up really isn't bad. You don't need a current rank cloak for most content anyway. Essences are still super annoying, that's why it's become a meme that they should be account-wide. All my alts have permanent "you have empty slots" pop-ups every time I hit C.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Destiny Man View Post
    It's easy for us to say that retrospectively but Ghostcrawler got so much shit back in Cata it was unreal. The amount of whine posts about Ghostcrawler was the same we get of Ion now, just to all to a slightly different tune.

I'm not saying Ion isn't accountable for mistakes but people tend to, and do, lash out at just about any contemporary public figure.
    Yeah I remember the ghostcrawler memes, he sure got shit just like Ion.

Just make sure your next alt isn't a Frost DK. Otherwise good luck getting Rank 3 World Vein, Blood of the Enemy, Conflict and Strife and Lucid Dreams because those are all your mandatory essences, without them you WILL be on bottom below tanks.

Have fun.

The Cloak is not what's keeping alts down. Investing ~2h to get an illv 480+ item is about as good as it gets in terms of effort:reward ratio. That's better than the average raid night. Vessels are also a joke to keep up even if you only do the weekly assaults, and the Visions are easy for pretty much every class if all you care about is upgrading the Cloak (mask runs are a different story).

What's killing alts is essences. There's a good number of them that are locked behind hard time gates involving a mountain of chores, like 16 days of dailies in Naz for Lucid, or who knows how many dailies in Uldum for BotD, or the 3 weeks for Worldvein and CLF. Not to mention there's also still BiS PvE essences that you need to PvP for.

And you have to do that on every. single. character.

As a man who just spent 2.5 hours getting the cloak on my mage, I was a bit amazed to see that I could've skipped things... How can I tell, however? Is there something I am missing? I was looking for the "I've done this before, just take me to the next sted" as I have done it on my rogue first, but found nothing, and none of the scenarios seemed skippable... How could I, though? Do you just walk out of it agan? :P

Please do enlighten me as I am quite the altoholic but don't want to spend over 1 day in playtime just to get the cloak on my army of alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiken3 View Post
    As a man who just spent 2.5 hours getting the cloak on my mage, I was a bit amazed to see that I could've skipped things... How can I tell, however? Is there something I am missing? I was looking for the "I've done this before, just take me to the next sted" as I have done it on my rogue first, but found nothing, and none of the scenarios seemed skippable... How could I, though? Do you just walk out of it agan? :P

Please do enlighten me as I am quite the altoholic but don't want to spend over 1 day in playtime just to get the cloak on my army of alts.
    AFAIK the only thing you can skip is the Engine of Nalak'sha scenario, and for that Ra-Den has a very clear and obvious dialog option of <Already done this, Skip> same as all the other scenario skips.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
    Save you stone in Vale, you have an Org/SW portal there, and then in Org/SW you have a portal that leads to Uldum.

I know it might be an inconvenience to not have a Vale Portal, but it can be circumvent so easily that it's essentially a non issue

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    AFAIK the only thing you can skip is the Engine of Nalak'sha scenario, and for that Ra-Den has a very clear and obvious dialog option of <Already done this, Skip> same as all the other scenario skips.
    The HoO scenario can be skipped as well. And it might be another skip that I'm not aware of, claimed by another user
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    There are three skips:

Both HoO parts and the Mogu'shan Palace part.

But yeah, it's obnoxious on alts.
    Although he might mean that the Mini Horrific Vision can be "skipped" by Entering the Vision and leaving right after, since the objective "Explore the Vision" (can't remember the exact phrase) is met right after entering, which can be detrimental since you'll be missing the 1.5k/3k CE awarded by the Daily quest.
    Last edited by Garretdejiko; 2020-03-02 at 04:19 PM.