Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
2
10
11
12
  1. #221
    Those are the only skips. In particular you can't skip the Blackrock Descent scenario. If they added that skip it would be basically fine.

    But again the cloak stuff isn't a huge deal, the essences are much more annoying.

  2. #222
    Stood in the Fire Garretdejiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Wasteland
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Those are the only skips. In particular you can't skip the Blackrock Descent scenario. If they added that skip it would be basically fine.

    But again the cloak stuff isn't a huge deal, the essences are much more annoying.
    Since you actually have to loot something inside, they can't just slap a skip onto it. Probably by clicking the gossip option, you'll get the scale and be able to complete the quest, though, it'd lead to a weird player/npc interaction

  3. #223
    It's a quest item, they can give the player items through dialog, or just trigger another quest to give the item, or trigger a slightly different follow-up quest that doesn't require the item in the first place. It isn't a technical limitation, they just decided not to do it for whatever reason.

    It isn't a big deal, but I do have six or seven alts sitting at the Blackrock Descent step because I just can't be arsed to do it on them.

  4. #224
    Yeah I don't know why they half-assed the skips.

    Either do it or don't, but what they came up with makes no damn sense.

  5. #225
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    It isn't a big deal, but I do have six or seven alts sitting at the Blackrock Descent step because I just can't be arsed to do it on them.
    Lol I was doing the questline on an alt like "yeah this isn't so bad" then got to BWD and couldn't skip *logoff*
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill yourself -updated 3/7/2020

  6. #226
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    It's a quest item, they can give the player items through dialog, or just trigger another quest to give the item, or trigger a slightly different follow-up quest that doesn't require the item in the first place. It isn't a technical limitation, they just decided not to do it for whatever reason.

    It isn't a big deal, but I do have six or seven alts sitting at the Blackrock Descent step because I just can't be arsed to do it on them.
    You being lazy =/= Blizzard's fault

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    Yeah I don't know why they half-assed the skips.

    Either do it or don't, but what they came up with makes no damn sense.
    They didn't have to add them at all, with them it's easily doable in under two hours - that's really not a lot of time per character for the best item you'll own for a year

  7. #227
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    139
    Indeed this for once was frustrating enough for me to stop playing. There was simply no point anymore.

  8. #228
    Everything in BFA killed alts... and mains.

  9. #229
    Quote Originally Posted by czarek View Post
    For me "alting" is about hitting endgame in a short way with skipping pretty much all chains and area uncloking dump.
    Some would argue "this is what killed WoW." The game is basically built to make things annoying so that "catch-up mechanics" fill in the rest of the time alongside "next week something new is available" limitations, and keep you just hooked enough to feel the warm and fuzzies when you finally have your stable of characters.

    I've never seen the appeal (old MMO player here) because my philosophy is "I am my character" and other classes past my first choice never really appealed to me all that much. this is more of a role-playing mentality than a video game mentality, which WoW caters to because ad populum fallacies are what capitalism thrives on.

    Essentially, any capitalist system thrives on exploiting "needs" and "wants" and you claim to want every alt possible as soon as possible so that's how the game is designed to exploit.

    They could create the game so that this alt system is part of the main mechanic of progression: other games have. Your characters could be a part of a personal guild, or family. You could have one character that's "all classes" where levelling takes roughly the same amount of time but is done differently, say via scaling WQs, gathering, PVP, whatever.

    They could do a ton of things. But none of them would do anything besides making multiboxers not need to multibox as much, or all of the "hey here's a levelling boost for $" or creating secondary markets / auctionhouse value.

    So yes, your concept of alt is to not care about the game and get to the endpoint ASAP. The only WoW expansion where that wasn't 100% the way to go was when they had class legendaries and storylines per spec.

    They need to add friction to make it "work" and it's a fine line between making it too easy / not-tedious and making it unplayable, where they're building the game to maximize subscriptions (and expansions).

    I personally bowed out of the game when the progression was a cut and paste without any real meaning to the loot or need to rely on social interaction to getting there (past the pseudo eSports of progression which is basically poison to those who want fun and don't need to be about bleeding edge competition to validate the massive time sink).

    But I'd still resubscribe and get every expansion at launch. This will be the first expansion in the game where I don't, as I'm just not interested in "just wait until the dungeon unlocks and use this awful dungeon finder system which limits the difficulty for autofinding."


    They wouldn't dare use that same system for something like Overwatch competitive, but to slow down progression they have no problem requiring players to use archaic guild tools, archaic dungeon finding and not allow top content to be queued. Snore.

  10. #230
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    You being lazy =/= Blizzard's fault

    - - - Updated - - -



    They didn't have to add them at all, with them it's easily doable in under two hours - that's really not a lot of time per character for the best item you'll own for a year
    Then they shouldn't have done them at all.

    To be clear I don't give a rats ass about gear, I'd just like to not be in the wrong Vale phase.
    Last edited by Zyrinx; 2020-03-02 at 05:48 PM.

  11. #231
    To infinity and beyond det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    34,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Garretdejiko View Post
    Since you actually have to loot something inside, they can't just slap a skip onto it. Probably by clicking the gossip option, you'll get the scale and be able to complete the quest, though, it'd lead to a weird player/npc interaction
    Hehe....technically they can always add the "I have done this before "skip scenario" like they did for Broken Shore and the intro to KT / Zandalar - but hey...they didn't remove the (annoying) part where you need to do the quest in Highmountain to get your HoA to lv 35 on fresh alts that did the Nazjatar intro.

    So yeah...tons of stuff blocking alts...(which I only semi mind - even if all my alts had the cloak instantly and a lv 60 HoA and all essences that my main has, there is just too much extra shit to farm to be able to do Horrific visions)

  12. #232
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    To be clear I don't give a rats ass about gear, I'd just like to not be in the wrong Vale phase.
    You don't need to do the blackrock descent bit and get your cloak for vale to phase. I camped (and got) all the vale mounts using my alt army and half of them don't have the cloak.

  13. #233
    Quote Originally Posted by frott View Post
    Some would argue "this is what killed WoW." The game is basically built to make things annoying so that "catch-up mechanics" fill in the rest of the time alongside "next week something new is available" limitations, and keep you just hooked enough to feel the warm and fuzzies when you finally have your stable of characters.

    I've never seen the appeal (old MMO player here) because my philosophy is "I am my character" and other classes past my first choice never really appealed to me all that much. this is more of a role-playing mentality than a video game mentality, which WoW caters to because ad populum fallacies are what capitalism thrives on.

    Essentially, any capitalist system thrives on exploiting "needs" and "wants" and you claim to want every alt possible as soon as possible so that's how the game is designed to exploit.

    They could create the game so that this alt system is part of the main mechanic of progression: other games have. Your characters could be a part of a personal guild, or family. You could have one character that's "all classes" where levelling takes roughly the same amount of time but is done differently, say via scaling WQs, gathering, PVP, whatever.

    They could do a ton of things. But none of them would do anything besides making multiboxers not need to multibox as much, or all of the "hey here's a levelling boost for $" or creating secondary markets / auctionhouse value.

    So yes, your concept of alt is to not care about the game and get to the endpoint ASAP. The only WoW expansion where that wasn't 100% the way to go was when they had class legendaries and storylines per spec.

    They need to add friction to make it "work" and it's a fine line between making it too easy / not-tedious and making it unplayable, where they're building the game to maximize subscriptions (and expansions).

    I personally bowed out of the game when the progression was a cut and paste without any real meaning to the loot or need to rely on social interaction to getting there (past the pseudo eSports of progression which is basically poison to those who want fun and don't need to be about bleeding edge competition to validate the massive time sink).

    But I'd still resubscribe and get every expansion at launch. This will be the first expansion in the game where I don't, as I'm just not interested in "just wait until the dungeon unlocks and use this awful dungeon finder system which limits the difficulty for autofinding."


    They wouldn't dare use that same system for something like Overwatch competitive, but to slow down progression they have no problem requiring players to use archaic guild tools, archaic dungeon finding and not allow top content to be queued. Snore.
    Doin same thing again with literally no matter just to unlock for example WQ for me is just crap idea. If i unlock on my main pretty much all i can and i want to try some new class i just have to do these same again. Scaling is great idea. I think new leveling style of just to chose ur favourite expansion is great. I just want to feel like that journey to max lvl is smth more just hitting the lvl cap. Now we need to lvl cap and start all that things to do again. Why i cant hit lvl cap with ATL and go throu endgame. Maybe new lvling will be much faster and doin some actual exp story line wouldnt be so painfull. We will see. Now im playin retail with main and some classic as alt. I have one alt on BfA but im pretty much pushed with disgust because i have to do all that things again. And there is a choice to consume some time to do it again or just go on classic and build up toon that got matter :P And classic is pretty much good example for alts. If you hit max level on classic ur toon probably have quite good gear to jump into raiding. I know some questes are required but for some can be done while leveling. If i have to unlock smth on every char that should be class specific not just gate to start WQ or shit iLVL race.
    Last edited by czarek; 2020-03-02 at 06:17 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •