Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

No longer hiring smokers. Do you support such restrictions?

According to many sources, starting Feburary 1st, Uhaul will no longer hire smokers in 21 states. Do you think this type of cherry picking should even be allowed? Only 21 states allow this, but it still seems too far to me. I don't smoke, but I don't believe a company should have any say in what someone does in their personal life's. Especially when it doesn't impact them on the job.

Do you believe such restrictions should be allowed? Or is this going too far when trying to force your employees to do what you want them to?
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

It's their company. They can hire whomever they want unless they're actively profiling against a protected class.

Smokers aren't a protected class.

This being said, I think it's entirely retarded because who the fuck cares what their employees do in their private time?

If we allow employers to screen for drug use, I don't see why nicotine would be exempt.

I assume this move is motivated by a desire to keep insurance costs down, and not whatever PR "wellness" spin they're putting on it.

29 states prohibit employment discrimination of smokers.
    Only 21 prohibit employment discrimination of homosexuals.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    If we allow employers to screen for drug use, I don't see why nicotine would be exempt.

I assume this move is motivated by a desire to keep insurance costs down, and not whatever PR "wellness" spin they're putting on it.
    Health insurance. Depending on the States (41 states), the cost for employee's health insurance can be as much as 50% cheaper for non-smokers.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post

I honestly have no idea what would be the motivation. Most of their workers are part time, so they don't even offer them insurance. The only full time positions they offer are typically managers or truck drivers.

I just think this company, and others like them, just want to pretend they care when they wont do anything about those who already work there and this will stop nothing.
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I honestly have no idea what would be the motivation. Most of their workers are part time, so they don't even offer them insurance. The only full time positions they offer are typically managers or truck drivers.

I just think this company, and others like them, just want to pretend they care when they wont do anything about those who already work there and this will stop nothing.
    In the article it say they have a company wellness program that helps people quit smoking.

U-Haul has a wellness program that includes nicotine cessation assistance for members, along with nutrition and fitness features.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    In the article it say they have a company wellness program that helps people quit smoking.
    Be that as it may, they still don't offer insurance to part time workers, which makes up most of their employee count.

I think Uhaul offers 401k, medical and dental to their part time workers also.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I think Uhaul offers 401k, medical and dental to their part time workers also.
    Not medical no. Just dental and 401k. So its really not saving them much in terms of decreased health insurance. Even then, a lot of companies will do something where the employee still partially pays for their insurance.

Maybe they simply don't want to be around people that smell bad.
    Who would blame them.
    No one likes being around people that stink
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

7+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a law suit waiting to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nicotine is a drug anyway. Maybe the general idea for company is to save money, but this also gives better workplace to people that hate smokers.

It also reduces fires in buildings. (or cargo --- like some1 leaving a ciggarete in a truck and it goes into flames)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it's a good idea, but it works about as well as fat shaming. People who smoke know it's killing them but just like most obese people the question is what isn't killing them and why not this vs that. There something valuable in it for people who feel they rather a choice of how to kill their pain.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

5+ Year Old Account
    Where your bleeding heart liberalism meets reality
    Be it smoking, tattoos, piercings, weird haircolours, obesity etc.
    A company has a right to reject those.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Be that as it may, they still don't offer insurance to part time workers, which makes up most of their employee count.
    point being is you said they weren't doing anything about the current employees that do smoke. Seems like they are trying to help their current employees quit smoking.

Also, U-haul does provide at least some medical insurance to their part-time employees that work over 20 hours/week.:

https://ptmoney.com/the-ten-best-par...with-benefits/
    U-Haul

This self-service moving company hires plenty of part-time and seasonal help. U-Haul offers some benefits for part-time employees, including limited medical and dental coverage. To be eligible, employees must work 20 hours a week. Also, employees cover the full cost of premiums. Supplemental insurance may be necessary for part-time employees. U-Haul does offer direct stock purchases and 401(k) plans to employees over 20 hours a week, but details of their program are not published online. For more information about U-Haul, check out their benefits and career pages.

If a company doesn't want to hire smokers, they shouldn't be obligated to do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    No breaks every 15-30min to smoke, less dirt, less cig smell. I can see why.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

I manage about 12 people and people complain about the smokers all the time. Not because they smell or anything like that (although you can always smell them when they come back from outside) but rather because every hour they disappear for 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    It's their company. They can hire whomever they want unless they're actively profiling against a protected class.

Smokers aren't a protected class.

This being said, I think it's entirely retarded because who the fuck cares what their employees do in their private time?
    While I do agree with most of what you said, I know from a business standpoint that many (not all) smokers stink. The head of the company has a vision of what he wants it to run, look and smell like.

My company won't hire people with exposed tattoos because the president says they're ugly, hates looking at them and they're unprofessional. To each is their own. Some don't care if you get high at home, just don't come to work stoned yet some will fire you if you have traces in your system. The joys of at-will employment.