Poll: Ok which group would you pick and Why?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Group 2, simply because of the Farmer. That and a rapist might make a pretty decent hunter; regardless I wouldn't feel bad about making them do shit work.

Every other skill is pointless in this scenario. The Doctor is the only one that would be nice to have around, but ultimately cant save you from malnutrition and starving to death.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Any woman in this situation...yeah, it's not good. She'd have to really think about...things. Preferably with a loaded firearm in hand.
    Nah it'll be fine for women, the 5 person group should be two men and three women. Repopulation goes faster when there is extra women, but not when there is extra men.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-01-16 at 11:36 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Suneye View Post
    What do you think happens if you don't want to have sex with them so they can impregnate you?
    Why wouldn't they want to have children, civilization can't be rebuilt if there are no children. That would mean human extinction.

7+ Year Old Account
    So? Being a woman in that situation and being fertile means they're going to rape you and forve pregnancy on you.
    Nah we have this concept called "consent" that takes care of that.

As far as the rapist in group 2 he might have to be castrated if he hasn't been totally reformed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    I'm begging you. Please stop
    Okay you tell us what is the best way to restart the human race. I'm all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    I'm begging you. Please stop
    I think there some sort of communications barrier that he just doesn't get it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I think there some sort of communications barrier that he just doesn't get it.
    I mean if you have better ideas on this topic then simply enlighten me.

Lol, you think people would care about consent in this situation?
    *nods*
    Civilization is gone. And in such a scenario "strength" is the prime virtue. (I'm certain you're familiar with history to know enough about how things will work out...and it won't be nice and friendly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus
    The only restrictions are really what is laid out. Giving more scenario or instruction would be treading too close to manipulating answers rather than seeing what people figure out and deduce on their own.
    Since this is a question aimed at skill sets, I'm going to opt out of the derail about sex. I choose to regard the goal as restarting the human race, the participants as volunteers, and their role being that of caretakers.

Because of that, I'll choose Group One because they have the MD that I would need to manage the growth of the fertilized embryos I'd want as part of the effort in order to maintain genetic diversity.

Medical Doctor: See above

Supermodel: Not an up and comer still relying on looks, I'd opt for one who has made it to the top and become a successful brand for just exactly those talents. Surprise, there are supermodels that are also quite bright, such as Laura Shields.

Clown: Brings the ability to entertain children and the right one for this mission would have the overlooked physical skills a performer needs (https://www.edutopia.org/circusfit-c...ical-education) Nothing says clowns have to be stupid either (https://www.braingainmag.com/5-clown...know-about.htm)

Walmart Cashier: I haven't been in a real Walmart in twenty years or so, so I can't address any stereotypes. Academically, they're a blank check in this scenario because lots of people end up working in jobs like that on their way to whatever they eventually become. As far as a skill set though, this is someone who can handle a bit of pressure and do day to day work that includes stuff like cleaning. Kids, lots of kids ... I'm thinking we might need that.

Drug addict: All of the people in this project are going to have flaws. It is easy to get distracted by negative images of drug addicts, but I'm a fan of Elementary and will use that as a rare public example of a positive image for the work a recovering addict goes through. OK, a TV series is a horrible example for a real life issue, but it is accessible. There are myriad people out there who have fallen into addiction and will for the rest of their lives be recovering addicts, but the ones who aren't celebrities don't get talked about. For example, consider opioid addiction among veterans. The addict then is someone with a flaw, but hopefully the rest of the team has skills (the medical doctor and the clown for example) that can help them deal with it.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im not sure how you could pick anything but group 1. The only wildcard person is the drug addict, which doesn't make you a bad person.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

A doctor (I guess a medical one) is usefull and a drug addict can be dealt with/is obvious. The only interesting other job would be farmer, but ít depends on if we have to be on the move or we already have found a base of operations. A modern farmer is probably not as usefull as it might seem, since most rely on their machinery and with gene-rip-off food the only useful farmers would be traditional ones that actually grow stuff that also produces seeds.

Like always with Mallcops hare-brained scenarios, there are too many variables and not even the surface level of information that one would orginarily have.

Edit: Plot twist, the rapist is female, then option 2
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-01-17 at 01:31 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

The rapist, serial killer, cannibal, and drug addict are what they're convicted of.
    Says nothing about what their day-to-day job/career/skillsets are.

5 people isn't enough to reboot the human race.

Look into Minimum Viable Population.

Also, if we're really going to do this...what's the gender of the 4 other people in my group? Cuz you might have all the best career options in one group...but if they're all the same gender it's not going to matter.

Best available option with those numbers is 2 men/3 women. And you better pray every one of those 5 is fertile, that none of the mothers dies during childbirth, that you get an appropriate mix of boys and girls in the next generation, and that all of them live to reach maturity, and keep that cycle going.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2020-01-17 at 02:41 AM.

Their professions seem far less relevant than their genders, and the genders of these people weren't listed.

The gender would also largely determine the survival and capabilities of these people. Sure today we like to pretend men and women are equal, but throw them into the wild.. you find out pretty quickly how laughably different men and women are.

Group 1. A drug addict isn’t that bad compared to the other offenders. There’s also a doctor in that group. The clown is also a bonus as he/she will help cheer people up.

A clown won't cheer any of the five people up in this scenario.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Since this is a question aimed at skill sets, I'm going to opt out of the derail about sex. I choose to regard the goal as restarting the human race, the participants as volunteers, and their role being that of caretakers.

Because of that, I'll choose Group One because they have the MD that I would need to manage the growth of the fertilized embryos I'd want as part of the effort in order to maintain genetic diversity.

Medical Doctor: See above

Supermodel: Not an up and comer still relying on looks, I'd opt for one who has made it to the top and become a successful brand for just exactly those talents. Surprise, there are supermodels that are also quite bright, such as Laura Shields.

Clown: Brings the ability to entertain children and the right one for this mission would have the overlooked physical skills a performer needs (https://www.edutopia.org/circusfit-c...ical-education) Nothing says clowns have to be stupid either (https://www.braingainmag.com/5-clown...know-about.htm)

Walmart Cashier: I haven't been in a real Walmart in twenty years or so, so I can't address any stereotypes. Academically, they're a blank check in this scenario because lots of people end up working in jobs like that on their way to whatever they eventually become. As far as a skill set though, this is someone who can handle a bit of pressure and do day to day work that includes stuff like cleaning. Kids, lots of kids ... I'm thinking we might need that.

Drug addict: All of the people in this project are going to have flaws. It is easy to get distracted by negative images of drug addicts, but I'm a fan of Elementary and will use that as a rare public example of a positive image for the work a recovering addict goes through. OK, a TV series is a horrible example for a real life issue, but it is accessible. There are myriad people out there who have fallen into addiction and will for the rest of their lives be recovering addicts, but the ones who aren't celebrities don't get talked about. For example, consider opioid addiction among veterans. The addict then is someone with a flaw, but hopefully the rest of the team has skills (the medical doctor and the clown for example) that can help them deal with it.
    Holy shit thanks you BungeeBungee I don't agree with your choices but damn almost made me rethink except for the Clown, I would hope one of the offspring grows up to be a psychologist from all the nightmares caused by the clown LOL.

But awesome breakdown. I couldn't argue with it, except for the Clown

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    Hm.

I feel like groups 3 and 4 are both out, regardless of the rest of the group makeup, since there's a cannibal in one and a serial killer in the other. If the cannibal eats everyone, or the serial killer murders anyone, the human race is pretty much done. Either that, or the rest of the group ends up having to take out the cannibal/serial killer in defense, then an already small group is one down.

Group 2 has some potential. A farmer who knows how to work the land and grow crops would be extremely useful, because the remaining survivors have to eat. The computer programmer, actor, and businessman aren't exactly going to have the best skill sets for a post-apocalyptic environment, but if they're willing to learn from the farmer and in good enough shape for manual labor, we have some potential there. The rapist probably isn't helping anything though.

Group 1....I dunno. The doctor would be very important. Life would really suck for the drug addict, since I doubt he's going to have access to his favorite drugs in this scenario (so he's going to be going through withdrawal and probably not in the best shape). Although he could have some potential if he makes it through that and gets clean. The clown....I guess it depends? If he has other skills, maybe he could be useful. You're talking about someone who can probably juggle, perform all kinds of circus acts, etc, so he has potential. The supermodel....I dunno. Boost morale? The Walmart cashier is also going to be extremely useful, because just about any role in a post-apocalyptic Earth is going to be a big improvement over Walmart cashier, meaning that person would probably be happy to do just about anything.

Thinking I'd probably go with group 2 as far as weighing benefits vs risks. Could always put the rapist to work with everyone else but make sure he's never in a situation where he can catch anyone alone.
    Yeah I went with 2 based on the same Criteria. I think each group represents every element of the human condition I could think of to contend with. I see disaster or great success possibly with all groups based on the right conditions, however for me the most probable and likely having the best odds is 2 IMO.

With Humans Logic can go right out the window when faced with certain challenges, and reason without logic is darkness.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    None, it'd be pointless since the lack of genetic diversity in such a small population guarantees a bottleneck and probable extinction anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not up on the correct use of some terms, so my apologies. Since for some reason I'm having to do the picking, that would be bungee and five people who identify as female. Why? Not so bungee can live a Hugh Hefner fantasy. I've simply spent the last 20 years in an environment where more than 80% of the people I worked with fit that description and that's what I'm comfortable with.

For me, I'm seeing "last survivor of the Human race" as a scenario where we're forced to flee Earth and start over, rather than post apocalypse survival on earth. For unknown reasons that probably involved various world leaders getting blind drunk and realizing that they'd left teacher off of the lists, bungee's next adventure isn't going to be quite where he expected. That's why I'm working with the assumption that we'll have the necessary technology and support to set off with a load of fertilized embryos, we're volunteers (bungee is nursing a horrible hangover and keeps repeating "I did *what* when I got drunk last time?), and we're there as caretakers to start a mission that might make me feel like GM-ing Metamorphosis Alpha again.

Making a case for the most desirable of the groups isn't that hard, but what about the ones nobody has voted for so far -- groups 3 and 4?

Group 4 is the roughest one for me to make a case for.

Serial Killer: Let's take this one first. Depending on how we define serial killer, that's probable a set up for mission failure and a reason to reject that group. A possible exception would be non-psychopathic killers motivated by wealth or politics. Example: Idoia Lopez Riano, Maria Jimenez, or Jeanette van Nessen. A psychopath cannot really be treated, but women like I mentioned in the example might be someone who could be worked with. Not an optimal pick, but that's why they're in the basket.

Physicist: OK, if we're on a mission into space it would be good to have someone who understands what's going on. Not a hard sell.

Palm Reader: Almost as much of a problem as the serial killer for me, but if the serial killer is there in case the group needs a blunt weapon, I suppose a real flimflam artist could serve to keep the future generations able to recognize and address the darker sides of society. A true believer though? Can I have another assassin instead?

Trucker: Well, somebody has to drive this bus! If I'm going to be on board when they fire us into space, it has to be a pretty fire and forget process. Still, a trucker would have physical and mental skills that could transfer to things like mechanical and logistical checks.

Banker: If we're starting the Human race over, some form of economic system is likely to crop up even if it just starts as trading favors. Someone drawn from a central bank might be useful in developing that system. Given my general opinion of bankers, I might prefer a third assassin or a second flimflam artist though.

Group 3 has some problems, but if we reject group 4 I have an idea for how we can get rid of a banker, a palm reader, and a serial killer.

Soldier: Nothing said I can't pick an Armed Service doctor! As I mentioned in my first post, I'd want an MD and and MD with a military background wouldn't be a bad thing. <bungee goes and rewatches M*A*S*H> Well, probably not too bad.

Film Director: A great film director can coax good performances out of difficult situations. This sounds like a mission that could benefit from that kind of skill and ability to organize things.

Priest: Cannibals get hungry. I'm agnostic and wouldn't choose religion as something I want to export to the next iteration of humanity, but the basket says "Priest". Without diving into the banned topic pool any deeper, I'm going with Daoist steering as close to the philosophical as I can and avoiding those most heavily influenced by things like feng shui.

Social Media Influencer: Not something I see as an especially strong skill set, but they can work a camera audience and probably do it in a way that differs from a film director. In my scenario, we would have been shipped off with libraries of recorded lessons, works of art and all that -- but a social media influencer might have the skills to get the growing children (from the fertilized embryos) interested in canned lessons that are unlikely to make sense to them. Imagine growing up as kids in space, if you think kids have a tough time understanding why they learn things in class today ...

Cannibal: While there are cannibals among modern cultures they are generally an abnormality and I'd regard them as the same kind of problem a psychopath would present. For something more practical, the Asmat tribe may still practice cannibalism and a member would have a variety of primitive survival skills. As a skill set, that sounds great, but as a practical matter language and culture would become obstacles even quicker than diet.

Side speculation: Since I'm looking at this as a space ship fired off to a new world, what if we were there as constructs like Dix in Neuromancer? Several of my quibbles, such as the problem with the cannibal, or even the psychopathic serial killer, might change if we were constructs living in a virtual reality to carry with the next wave of Humanity as kind of a zoo exhibit for the future -- who were they, how did they think, why are we here? I could see that as a Metamorphosis Alpha setting, and in that case perhaps group 3 and 4 would be interesting.

@Doctor Amadeus Thanks! Not trying to hijack your thread, just trying to throw some thoughts out there.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2020-01-17 at 06:50 AM. Reason: layout
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it depends a lot on the cicumstances as already mentioned. Let's say the other humans just vanish and the infrastructure stays in place, it makes some specializations more viable than others.

With all our infrastructure in place, the IT guy becomes much more valuable.

And because of that i don't agree that the farmer is an obvious pick. 5 people with the whole infrastructure intact can go by easily with foraging. Also i'm not sure 5 people is enough to start an agricultural society (look at human history). Apart from that, restarting the human race with 5 people is impossible.