Chat input box not staying active?

When typing in the chat frame, clicking anywhere on the screen takes me out of the chat window.

Example:
    I’m typing “Tomatoes are in the nightshade family”. If, after I hit the spacebar after “the” and then start mouse steering while typing, my N, I, G, etc hotkeys are triggered and I’m no longer actively typing in the chat box.

I don’t recall this happening prior to 8.3, so is this new and intended? Can I disable this behaviour? I turned off all my addons and it still does this. It's very frustrating to be typing, going to steer and suddenly 200 UI frames are popping up because my hotkeys were triggered instead

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Quote Originally Posted by zenyatta View Post
    I don’t recall this happening prior to 8.3, so is this new and intended?

Yes this is apparently new and intended. Previously it would just close/clear the chat box when you click somewhere else, but now it only does that when it's empty e.g. you hadn't typed anything

You could turn this script into an addon with https://addon.bool.no/ which should revert it to the original behavior
    Code:
    function ChatEdit_OnEditFocusLost(self)
    	AutoCompleteEditBox_OnEditFocusLost(self);
    	ChatEdit_DeactivateChat(self);
    end

Maybe we should just get used to the new behavior, and press enter or reselect the chat box when we want to resume typing
    Last edited by Ketho; 2020-01-17 at 11:02 AM.

It didn't even used to do that, clicking elsewhere never used to interrupt my typing at all, unless I had an addon that was preventing it =\

I'm not even sure myself what the actual pre-8.3 functionality was

I laughed but only because yeah, me too, lol.

Before 8.3 clicking elsewhere did not close the input box, not even if it was empty. Now i cant use twitch emotes addon, when i want to whisper to someone an achievment chat box closing when i click on achievment button, etc. Its really annoying.
    Blizzard GM said its an 'undocumented change' so they have no idea how to revert it. Useful .
    If someone could made an addon to revert it, that would be really helpful.

I have also found this annoying. I tried to link a recipe from Skillet. I can right click the drop-down, but as soon as I left click the "link recipe" option, the chat box closes. I can even see a split second where the link appears before the chat box goes away. The wordaround is to put any text in the box, even just mashing a few keys, before clicking elsewhere, then deleting those characters.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Quote Originally Posted by zenyatta View Post
    I laughed but only because yeah, me too, lol.
    I was wrong, there was another change I missed
    https://github.com/Gethe/wow-ui-sour...739e8b1c8R2186

A quick and dirty fix would be to unregister that event
    Code:
    UIParent:UnregisterEvent("GLOBAL_MOUSE_DOWN")
    Last edited by Ketho; 2020-01-19 at 06:04 AM.

Hey, I'm not above playing dirty :P
    Excellent work, you're a legend!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rurisk View Post
    Blizzard GM said its an 'undocumented change' so they have no idea how to revert it. Useful .
    How do you get to them not knowing how to fix an undocumented change? they fix them all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinnersGrin View Post
    If Tinkers aren't the next class in WoW I'll shit in my hands and clap then eat my shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sativex View Post
    How do you get to them not knowing how to fix an undocumented change? they fix them all the time.
    The blizzard representative said to me go and find another player who can make an addon or somethin to fix it. Is this normal? Be a 'beta tester', and if u find some problem just find another 'beta tester' who can fix it.