Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

It's been months, and I still can't bear to play classic

Most of my b.net friends play it now, and as one of the original players, you'd think I'd be drawn to it for ol'nostalgia's sake or because one of the many problems I'm dissatisfied with in live.

Yet, I can't bear playing it, tried a number of times. It is worse in nearly every way to live. The only thing it has over live is community. Somehow despite the brilliance that was sharding and xrealm (something I use to seriously suggest back in the day ), live has lost togetherness. It's hard to explain.

However, in every departement it is vastly superior to classic. Classes, races, system, art, functionality, the works.. all so much better. Live is far more engaging - the only regret i think is that you can't actually experience the entire expansion systems as you level through them. It would have been nice if Shadowlands gave you the systems that were in place during the expansion you lveelled. But that doesn't make practical sense as it'd be too confusing for players.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    The only thing it has over live is community. Somehow despite the brilliance that was sharding and xrealm (something I use to seriously suggest back in the day ), live has lost togetherness. It's hard to explain.
    So, the only thing classic has over live is the single most important thing in a massive multiplayer game? Ok.

However, in every departement it is vastly superior to classic. Classes, races, system, art, functionality, the works.. all so much better.
    Art is about the only thing live does better than classic imo currently.

Thats fine OP. You gave it a try and it's not for you anymore. Theres plenty of games like that for me. Just play retail or a dif game and makes new friends on there.

I don’t get why people feel the need to make this kind of thread. Ok, so you don’t like to play Classic and so what? What are you trying to achieve by making a thread about that?

3+ Year Old Account
    That's ok mate, at least you tried a few times and realized this game is not for you. I did the same with BfA and I couldn't stand it, left a few weeks later. The good situation is there are two different World of Warcraft for two different types of players, so everyone is happy.

Most of my b.net friends play it now, and as one of the original players, you'd think I'd be drawn to it for ol'nostalgia's sake or because one of the many problems I'm dissatisfied with in live.

Yet, I can't bear playing it, tried a number of times. It is worse in nearly every way to live. The only thing it has over live is community. Somehow despite the brilliance that was sharding and xrealm (something I use to seriously suggest back in the day ), live has lost togetherness. It's hard to explain.

However, in every departement it is vastly superior to classic. Classes, races, system, art, functionality, the works.. all so much better. Live is far more engaging - the only regret i think is that you can't actually experience the entire expansion systems as you level through them. It would have been nice if Shadowlands gave you the systems that were in place during the expansion you lveelled. But that doesn't make practical sense as it'd be too confusing for players.
    If retail is so good then why are you here typing about classic when you could be having a ball of a time in retail??? you really came over just to complain about something you don't play?...hey I'm gonna go over to a house with guys i know that play Dungeons and Dragons and tell them there game sucks and video games are far superior...or maybe just let the people that enjoy it, have there social fun without you trying to rain on it.

That is fine mate. At least you tried it and you know it is not for you.

That’s your subjective opinion OP

I personally play classic daily and can’t imagine what anyone sees in diablo the mmo (aka retail wow)

Shadowlands doesn’t even look that interesting to me tbh, I’ll be enjoying naxx

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    If retail is so good then why are you here typing about classic when you could be having a ball of a time in retail??? you really came over just to complain about something you don't play?...hey I'm gonna go over to a house with guys i know that play Dungeons and Dragons and tell them there game sucks and video games are far superior...or maybe just let the people that enjoy it, have there social fun without you trying to rain on it.
    I feel where they Op is coming from, he just doesn’t understand why everyone he knows prefers classic when he prefers retail.

It may not be for him, just as retail doesn’t appeal to me without fundamental changes

10+ Year Old Account
    you had a similar experience to mine: I'm a Vanilla starter in WoW, been at it for 15+ yrs now, and I tried Classic when it first launched. I played for 9 days, realized I had done all this before and went back to retail, never to return to Classic. The game has evolved so much and my gameplay style and appreciation for WoW has grown with, so yeah, leave classic to those who want to experience it, dont play it cause you feel like you HAVE to and enjoy retail if you wish, I do and im not lookin back.

Gave it a go meself but stopped after a month -- was pretty much just a tourist though. Don't see the appeal of stagnating in old content forever.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    That’s your subjective opinion OP

I personally play classic daily and can’t imagine what anyone sees in diablo the mmo (aka retail wow)

Shadowlands doesn’t even look that interesting to me tbh, I’ll be enjoying naxx

- - - Updated - - -

I feel where they Op is coming from, he just doesn’t understand why everyone he knows prefers classic when he prefers retail.

It may not be for him, just as retail doesn’t appeal to me without fundamental changes
    Exactly Justandulas, thank you. @khazmodan - what he said! (points at Justandulas)

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.

Well, some people think Battlefield Earth is a great film. They are a clear minority, and if that is what they enjoy, so be it. Now, if they want to argue with other people that it is a far better film that most other films...well, that is just delusional.

And so it is with WoW. Retail is not better than, much less superior to, Classic. If you are looking for a solution, you need to first stop fooling yourself. Retail is not a superior game...it is a lesser game that you happen to enjoy. Next, you just need to start hanging out with others who like the lesser game. They are out there and they are probably not who you used to hang out with. And that's fine...form your "Battlefield Earth is the best movie" fan club and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wramp View Post
    you had a similar experience to mine: I'm a Vanilla starter in WoW, been at it for 15+ yrs now, and I tried Classic when it first launched. I played for 9 days, realized I had done all this before and went back to retail, never to return to Classic. The game has evolved so much and my gameplay style and appreciation for WoW has grown with, so yeah, leave classic to those who want to experience it, dont play it cause you feel like you HAVE to and enjoy retail if you wish, I do and im not lookin back.
    Indeed Wramp, that was the feeling I got. I realise though many people still play old titles, a lot - like WC3 maps, Diablo/Diablo 2 etc, this is despite the newer more improved versions still available. It is fascinating. WoW live is a direct evolution of classic, yet people can prefer classic over the current version, it's intriguing... perhaps community is the main reason. Is nostaliga such a powerful thing to cause that? I woud think by simply levelling up in wow live youcget all the nostalgia you ened, but then as Cataclysm redid the old world, that original experience is gone, and it is the only one that is gone.

Then don't...? I got my Priest to 52 and just lost the passion. I might return and finish it to 60 once 8.3 has run it's course.

After playing classic since launch, playing retail for 5 minutes makes me want to /wrist.

Classic is 1000000% more enjoyable than the garbage game retail has become. But opinions are opinions so its all irrelevant.

I feel the same about modern WoW. Classic is just not for you. It’s cool we get two versions to pick from.

Indeed Wramp, that was the feeling I got. I realise though many people still play old titles, a lot - like WC3 maps, Diablo/Diablo 2 etc, this is despite the newer more improved versions still available. It is fascinating. WoW live is a direct evolution of classic, yet people can prefer classic over the current version, it's intriguing... perhaps community is the main reason. Is nostaliga such a powerful thing to cause that? I woud think by simply levelling up in wow live youcget all the nostalgia you ened, but then as Cataclysm redid the old world, that original experience is gone, and it is the only one that is gone.
    It's not nostalgia at all for me. Nostalgia maybe the first week. What keeps me going is the gameplay. It's not hard in the same way retail is with high apm. It's just a slower grind so when you finally achieve something it feels better. It's also nice to have a BiS list and not chase titan forges and 4 different difficulties of the same content. Another big factor is except for raids every week, you arent "punished" for not logging in. No dailies that make me feel like I'm falling behind if I dont complete them everyday. No mythic chest to worry abt. Log in for raid nights, and then grind other goals at my own pace.

Nostalgia gaming has never been more popular, but in wows case it’s more than that.

I know the staunchest of retail defenders will deny it but wow lost a lot of its open world and rpg features and replaced them with arpg game designs, seasons, artifact power, and being able to play it all solo.

Sure, the old game was more inconvenient but it truly felt like a world you inhabit and not a game you log in and queue for a wordless activity like its call of duty

And the rpg mechanics were far better and more prevalent. Sure, certain classes had it rough but overall the game was healthier when it was based around needing the community to succeed

Example: in retail everyone has a legendary cloak so it means nothing. They give them away. In classic, for my thunderfury, it’s a team effort. I not only need to be the right person assigned a legendary, but get the bindings and spend 10k worth of mats to forge it. It FEELS legendary. The cloak feels like a blue you upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Nostalgia gaming has never been more popular, but in wows case it’s more than that.

I know the staunchest of retail defenders will deny it but wow lost a lot of its open world and rpg features and replaced them with arpg game designs, seasons, artifact power, and being able to play it all solo.

Sure, the old game was more inconvenient but it truly felt like a world you inhabit and not a game you log in and queue for a wordless activity like its call of duty

And the rpg mechanics were far better and more prevalent. Sure, certain classes had it rough but overall the game was healthier when it was based around needing the community to succeed

Example: in retail everyone has a legendary cloak so it means nothing. They give them away. In classic, for my thunderfury, it’s a team effort. I not only need to be the right person assigned a legendary, but get the bindings and spend 10k worth of mats to forge it. It FEELS legendary. The cloak feels like a blue you upgrade
    You qualify a legendary item as something barely anyone has,

So a 455 titanforged trinket with socket would be legendary to? Because practictly none has it!

Gotcha mate

Quote Originally Posted by Dommie530 View Post
    You qualify a legendary item as something anyone barely has,

So a 455 titanforged trinket with socket would be legendary to?
    A trinket didn’t require an entire guild to pull together, save and only one get it, does it?

The comparison you are looking for is if your guild only had one OP god tier trinket and they had to work at it for months and spend $500 worth of gold or more, and could only assign it to one player.

Then it would be legendary. Color alone does not make it legendary. When everyone is special no one is

Edit: there’s no gear in retail comparable to the real legendary experience of old