Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Retail and Classic are two different games set in the same IP. Ever since Classic came out, I've only managed to log into retail briefly to check my auctions. Neck farming (for 2 whole agi when you have pieces with 1k, woohoo), islands, BiS being impossible so that you've never accomplished a goal... Nazjatar (criminally wasted as a Timeless Jungle Broken Island daily quest zone) and Mechagon were the last straw. When you have to keep a weekly WoW chores log to make sure you've done everything, it's not a game any more.

I enjoy dungeons where there's actual danger, and you're not racing through like a loon "GOGOGOGOGO" so that you can actually appreciate the atmosphere. I like not having a button to counter everything and having to think of solutions, like relearning soloing DMN Tribute. I like rarely opening a menu and buying arrows and reagents, rather than being a self-sufficient demigod able to teleport anywhere. I enjoy that if I choose not to work on a rep today, I'm not forever behind. I enjoy that each of my characters can have a semi-unique path and doesn't simply repeat the same quests in an order preset for me. I enjoy being in a world, not a set of teleport linked zones that I'm supposed to rush through or grind out on someone else's schedule. I enjoy not worrying about GC's obsession with "balance" in a setting that intrinsically cannot be, but rather using different strengths to accomplish goals.

For those who prefer retail, great for you. Understand though, a large part of the resentment classic fans who were around back then have towards retail is that we were pushed out of our game and told bluntly we weren't the target audience any more. We watched our game become more and more unrecognizable, and if we didn't like it, we were the problem. (Gee I wonder why a company willing to insult customers lost so many...) With Classic though, we get our game back, and this time, no one loses theirs. Shouldn't we be happy that both audiences are accommodated, instead of trying to tear the other one down?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by EternalBany View Post
    even though I am tired of classic, (there is nothing to do for me am full bis and dont do pvp)

I can say that original Naxx is INDREDIBLE, such great fun and addictive. Most importantly, far more interesting and fun than anything Shadowlands will have to offer. Mark my words, that xpack is looking worse by the week.
    Naxx and bwl are both incredibly put together dungeons. Naxx vanilla was the best raid ever made.

They did dumb it down and re release it but it wasn’t the same

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    MMORPG

Massive - Both live abd classic has it but clasdic with no crossrealm, no sharding and no layers make the connection to realms better.
    Multiplayer - same as above, but also Classic "forces" player interaction together because there’s no automation systems to dungeons or pug raids. Because it can be so annoying and time dependant to get groups you make sure to behave and communicate in Classic.
    Online - well nothing changed there.
    Role Playing Game - While I cant speak for everyone it is my belief that modern wow has lost the role playing part of the genre, everyone can do everything and there’s very little identity and flavor in classes. Yes Classic is horribly unbalanced and wouldn’t ger ideal for expansions to follow, but players know and embrace this if they chose to play. You know what different things to expect from XYZ classes and specs, players have roles and "duties" in classic. Unlike retail where everyone can do everything and everyone looks like superheroes with transmog.
    For these reasons classic is better as a MMORPG for casual players tbh. If you play retail casually, there is almost no reason to group up, and instead you end up playing action-based solo-rpg. However, if you play in a semi-hc guild, there is very little diffetence in the multiplayer part. You just group up with guildies to run dungeons and raid.

I also slightly disagree with the better identity of classes. They are quite bland in both and the roles are very clear and similar in both expacs. You play cookie cutter builds in both, stat weights are clear, roles are pre-determined. Given this, I still like vanilla classes more, for example class quests are fun for the identity. Also, some RPGs are fine without having classes at all.

its quite a commitment, in retail you can play whenever you want and make progress on a daily basis, but for classic you're mostly relegated to joining a guild and progressing on set days, for years, that is likely one issue ppl have it takes years to go from level 1, to naxx. its not as simple as hopping on over the week end running a few dungeons and being ready for the relevant content, its months and months of farming the same shit over and over until you're ready to move on. in retail you can log in, make progress with nothing stopping you. for classic you have to find a guild and be active for raids. otherwise you'll get nowhere or spend most of your time doing menial things, I hardly play on non-raid days, I have to farm arcanite crystals but I really can't be bothered to do that yet so I play other games, I have a raid tomorrow but ill probably play factorio all day today.

I logged into retail last night and did the cloak quests, I thought it was cool. took a bit over an hour or so. but that is the difference, log into retail, quest solo for a couple hours, get legendary cloak, in classic, its raid molten core 500 times, maybe get 2 bindings maybe not.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2020-01-18 at 03:54 PM.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    *building a strawman because I have nothing of value to argue with*
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozu View Post
    *repeating the same incorrect statements over and over and not learning*
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Goat View Post
    *not understanding but I'll just comment something that makes no sense cuz if I don't say something I'll feel like I lost something that can't be won*
    Look guys here's what gonna happen. I'm gonna step out of the class and I won't give you any homework to do. Have a great weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    It's not nostalgia at all for me. Nostalgia maybe the first week. What keeps me going is the gameplay. It's not hard in the same way retail is with high apm. It's just a slower grind so when you finally achieve something it feels better. It's also nice to have a BiS list and not chase titan forges and 4 different difficulties of the same content. Another big factor is except for raids every week, you arent "punished" for not logging in. No dailies that make me feel like I'm falling behind if I dont complete them everyday. No mythic chest to worry abt. Log in for raid nights, and then grind other goals at my own pace.
    I agree with this 100%

All good op, tried it myself and got to 50 hoping the gameplay would feel less of a snorefest with more lvls, but that wasnt the case, braindead rotations, no challenge and knowing that the difficulty in endgame was the same just made me quit, thankfully as people mentioned wow has 2 versions now and you can enjoy the one you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post
    Look guys here's what gonna happen. I'm gonna step out of the class and I won't give you any homework to do. Have a great weekend.
    That is an acceptable way to admit you're wrong and have no further rebuttals. I hope your weekend is good as well.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozu View Post
    That is an acceptable way to admit you're wrong and have no further rebuttals. I hope your weekend is good as well.
    I have plenty more, I just know you're not willing to learn.
    You know very well it's not what my post meant, and that's why it infuriates you so much that you feel the need to try to have the last word. I'm making this post to make sure other people like you know what is happening here. You have my permission to reply to this so you can get your much needed last word, I won't reply since it's very obvious what our places are. My work here is done.

You realize this reads like a petulant child screaming, "I'm too smart for you to understand, dad!"

You have multiple people explaining why you're wrong, yet you continue to to smugly sit back and not accept it. Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbro View Post
    All good op, tried it myself and got to 50 hoping the gameplay would feel less of a snorefest with more lvls, but that wasnt the case, braindead rotations, no challenge and knowing that the difficulty in endgame was the same just made me quit, thankfully as people mentioned wow has 2 versions now and you can enjoy the one you prefer.
    Unfortunately, there remains a small but extremely vocal minority who refuse to accept this is the reality for a huge percentage of players who try classic. They just flat out refuse to accept it, and although they throw endless word salad at the issue, all it boils down to is "no, the game is perfect, its YOU that is wrong, not the game". This is the attitude that frustrates so many classic players like myself who enjoy it for what it is, a warts and all, horribly dated, slog-fest of brain-dead content, with brain-dead rotations, for people who want to spend endless hours grinding the exact same brain-dead content with sub LFR difficulty, and world content with Sub WQ difficulty.

Honestly, some are enjoying classic so much because they have time, not skill, with no interest in improving as a player, and simply want to enjoy the ride. That is absolutely fine, games have an "easy mode" or "story mode" for a reason - some people dont want to be challenged and just want to enjoy the ride. The share amount of players putting in 12-16 hours a day to ensure they are middle of the pack in pvp is mind boggling to me, but its not my life, not my time.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Naxx vanilla was the best raid ever made.
    That's not how you spell "Ulduar".

Quote Originally Posted by Arakakao View Post
    That's not how you spell "Ulduar".
    Ulduar top 3, but it can’t compare to the vanilla naxx experience

Wotlk was the beginning of the “one size for everybody” raid structure. 10 man, 25 man normal and heroic etc.

Vanilla naxx was not only a better raid imo, but it only had the one difficulty... you were peak of the mountain top

lol because you're smart dude. you don't wanna just auto attack 150 boars for 1 boar liver or walk 90 miles from one place and then back to another and then one place and back to another. i was nostalgic for the game too but it's just so so so so boring

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Fox View Post
    True, but in classic's case a lot of the rotations are both simple and bad.

Or have you truly deluded yourself into thinking shit like Frostbolt spam is good?
    Ergo, the flaw in your argument. You can't substantiate it without insults.

I'm here to affirm that simple rotations aren't objectively bad. Also, are you under the impression we're only discussing Mage rotations?

No one seems to be able to prove to me why they are objectively bad. It's because they aren't, but it's humorous watching you all try.

- - - Updated - - -

Reported for violating forum guidelines.

It's pretty pathetic when all you can do is attack your constituents instead of actually supporting your argument. But when you don't have an argument, I suppose your options were limited.

- - - Updated - - -

You know very well it's not what my post meant, and that's why it infuriates you so much that you feel the need to try to have the last word. I'm making this post to make sure other people like you know what is happening here. You have my permission to reply to this so you can get your much needed last word, I won't reply since it's very obvious what our places are. My work here is done.
    When you can prove me wrong that simple rotations aren't objectively bad, then you'll deserve to be as smug as you are. Thus far, you've only shared why you personally dislike them. You're deflecting your critical misunderstanding of the topic as if I'm the one who doesn't understand. Your personal attacks, however, tell a much different story.

But you've failed miserably at that thus far, and I have no expectation that you can do any better. So by all means, continue your personal attacks until you're adequately dealt with. It's fun to watch.
    Last edited by Black Goat; 2020-01-21 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Goat View Post
    Ergo, the flaw in your argument. You can't substantiate it without insults.

I'm here to affirm that simple rotations aren't objectively bad. Also, are you under the impression we're only discussing Mage rotations?

No one seems to be able to prove to me why they are objectively bad. It's because they aren't, but it's humorous watching you all try.
    You sound deranged

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Fox View Post
    You sound deranged
    I doubt you even know what "deranged" means, let alone be able to diagnose it. You can't even participate in this topic without making elementary level insults. Aaaaaand, /ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post

Vanilla naxx was not only a better raid imo, but it only had the one difficulty... you were peak of the mountain top
    And if you kill mythic raids now, you are at the peak of the mountain top. Just because there are some kids playing with sleds at the bottom of the same mountain does not mean they are on your level.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    And if you kill mythic raids now, you are at the peak of the mountain top. Just because there are some kids playing with sleds at the bottom of the same mountain does not mean they are on your level.
    It absolutely does when there’s variations of the same gear. It cheapens it all, especially the top

Added to that the seasonal nature of mythic raiding, and it isn’t comparable. None of it has value past a few months and then it becomes throw away gear in the name of accessibility and letting others catch up

There’s no ladder of progression because there’s one raid at a time, one size fits all, and then off to the next. There’s never a period where there’s multiple raids and you can’t get to the next without beating the last.

You know, like the good days that I refer to

Retail is more diablo 3 than Everquest

Nearly everything you said is opinion and it is stated as fact. As long as you recognize that and that others can have the opposite reaction to classic, it's all good.