Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
14
... LastLast
  1. #61
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Elizabeth Warren's BDSM dungeon.
    Posts
    46,760
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Being poor is the default state that humanity has inherited.
    False. Poverty, like famine, is a human creation that is the result of poor resource distribution.

    I bet you think barter economies precede money economies too.

    So I don't necessarily disagree if your point is that poverty comes from 'circumstances'. With that said intellectual failing happens almost all the time and causes people to remain in poverty for far longer than is necessary.
    "Intellectual failing" - again, trying to paint poverty as a choice and as a justifiable consequence.

    It's just self serving justification of privilege.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It sounds like someone needs some lessons in financial planning.

    https://www.thebalance.com/financial...ce-101-1289798


    Where's the money coming from, Machismo?
    Many people have asked if I support trans rights. The answer is yes. If you can memorize obscure history of Azeroth, you can memorize someone's canonical pronouns. Under my presidency, Gamers will lead our nation to respectfully obsessing over people's lore.
    - Ace Watkins, Gamer Candidate for President of the United States

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    False. Poverty, like famine, is a human creation that is the result of poor resource distribution.

    I bet you think barter economies precede money economies too.



    "Intellectual failing" - again, trying to paint poverty as a choice and as a justifiable consequence.

    It's just self serving justification of privilege.

    - - - Updated - - -





    Where's the money coming from, Machismo?
    Maybe she should budget her finances better, or move elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.

  3. #63
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    So, this thought just struck me and I'm curious of your take on it.

    How is it possible that so few families have built any form of capital through the generations? I'm honestly "impressed" that no one in my family have been able to save/invest enough and pass on through the generations so that we'd have a sizeable capital. The majority of families have basically gone +-0 for generations. Doesn't anyone save money? Invest it?
    Because it costs to have a place to live and having kids. It costs to eat. It costs to get to and home from work.

  4. #64
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Elizabeth Warren's BDSM dungeon.
    Posts
    46,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Maybe she should budget her finances better, or move elsewhere.
    Again: where does the money to move come from, Machismo?
    Many people have asked if I support trans rights. The answer is yes. If you can memorize obscure history of Azeroth, you can memorize someone's canonical pronouns. Under my presidency, Gamers will lead our nation to respectfully obsessing over people's lore.
    - Ace Watkins, Gamer Candidate for President of the United States

  5. #65
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    False. Poverty, like famine, is a human creation that is the result of poor resource distribution.
    Yeah, those alcoholics and druggies just need even more money they can throw away on alcohol and drugs. They shouldn't even be eligible to receive benefits.
    Last edited by Stormvind; 2020-01-17 at 07:47 PM.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Again: where does the money to move come from, Machismo?
    It's about where she spends the money she has, which is why I directed you to cost-of-living calculators and financial planning assistance.

    You. Are. Welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Higher Debt, Lower Wages.
    It doesn't help that we're born into debt. A Child Born Today Comes Into the World With More Debt Than You

    Under current law, U.S. inflation-adjusted debt per person is expected to reach the $66,000 milestone by April 2026, based on Bloomberg calculations of Congressional Budget Office and Census Bureau data.

    ----------------

    That's not taking the current bungler-in-chief's tax giveaway to the wealthy last year.
    Acquittal doesn't mean exoneration


  8. #68
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Elizabeth Warren's BDSM dungeon.
    Posts
    46,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It's about where she spends the money she has, which is why I directed you to cost-of-living calculators and financial planning assistance.

    You. Are. Welcome.
    And how do you know she isn't already budgeting "correctly"?

    If you answer is 'she wouldn't be poor if she were', allow me to interest you in this Tiger Repelling Rock.
    Many people have asked if I support trans rights. The answer is yes. If you can memorize obscure history of Azeroth, you can memorize someone's canonical pronouns. Under my presidency, Gamers will lead our nation to respectfully obsessing over people's lore.
    - Ace Watkins, Gamer Candidate for President of the United States

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Suneye View Post
    How is that possible?
    Deficit spending. It's literally older people forcing those too young to vote, and those who have yet to be born, to pay for the shit they happen to want.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    And how do you know she isn't already budgeting "correctly"?

    If you answer is 'she wouldn't be poor if she were', allow me to interest you in this Tiger Repelling Rock.
    She spent $1600 on an apartment in Irvine, California. She could commute from somewhere with a lower cost of living. She could get a job in another city, or another state.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.

  10. #70
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Elizabeth Warren's BDSM dungeon.
    Posts
    46,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    She spent $1600 on an apartment in Irvine, California. She could commute from somewhere with a lower cost of living. She could get a job in another city, or another state.
    Where is the money she is going to move with going to come from considering she is already in the red.
    Many people have asked if I support trans rights. The answer is yes. If you can memorize obscure history of Azeroth, you can memorize someone's canonical pronouns. Under my presidency, Gamers will lead our nation to respectfully obsessing over people's lore.
    - Ace Watkins, Gamer Candidate for President of the United States

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Suneye View Post
    Imagine that. Didactic pretending I said things I didn't say. Can you ever actually address what people say? I said it's a character flaw. Character flaw isn't always about morality. Being lazy is a character flaw, it has nothing to do with morality. Being unwilling to do what it takes to get out of poverty is a character flaw, but it has absolutely nothing to do with morality.

    If you remain in poverty, it is your own doing.
    Protestant work ethic. A hardworking person is considered to be moral. The byproduct of hard work is money. Therefore a person with more money is more moral.

    Ever notice the constant shaming of the poor in the US? They are immoral because they allegedly don't work hard and have little money. Never mind that a substantial portion of anyone's wealth is simple luck and some jobs require work but are necessary and low paying.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Where is the money she is going to move with going to come from considering she is already in the red.
    Funny, I found apartments in Irvine for $800 a month, and even less in outlying areas. She's got a minivan, she can move that shit herself.

    She's in the red, because she didn't PLAN ACCORDINGLY. She's in that situation, because of the multiple decisions she has made leading up to it. She chose to live there, knowing how much shit costs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.

  13. #73
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Where is the money she is going to move with going to come from considering she is already in the red.
    You can't lease apartments second hand in the us?

  14. #74
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Elizabeth Warren's BDSM dungeon.
    Posts
    46,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Funny, I found apartments in Irvine for $800 a month, and even less in outlying areas. She's got a minivan, she can move that shit herself.
    Because moving furniture is the only cost involved in relocating. Okay.

    She's in the red, because she didn't PLAN ACCORDINGLY. She's in that situation, because of the multiple decisions she has made leading up to it. She chose to live there, knowing how much shit costs.
    You know, it would just be easier for you to admit that you don't actually have a solution because you fundamentally don't see poverty as a problem.

    There's something incredibly narcissistic about believing that "everyone poorer than me must be lazier or less intelligent".

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Player Eleven View Post
    You can't lease apartments second hand in the us?
    Lol, imaging owning property in the US as a millennial.

    Y'all really do not grasp just how predatory the American economic system is, do you?
    Many people have asked if I support trans rights. The answer is yes. If you can memorize obscure history of Azeroth, you can memorize someone's canonical pronouns. Under my presidency, Gamers will lead our nation to respectfully obsessing over people's lore.
    - Ace Watkins, Gamer Candidate for President of the United States

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Funny, I found apartments in Irvine for $800 a month, and even less in outlying areas. She's got a minivan, she can move that shit herself.

    She's in the red, because she didn't PLAN ACCORDINGLY. She's in that situation, because of the multiple decisions she has made leading up to it. She chose to live there, knowing how much shit costs.
    $800 a month in Irvine!? I find that shocking and impossible to believe. It must be with roommates, no?

    The only things in that price range when I was house hunting were manufactured homes and senior living apartments. I was completely priced out of Orange County entirely, much less Irvine.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2020-01-17 at 08:03 PM.

  16. #76
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Lol, imaging owning property in the US as a millennial.

    Y'all really do not grasp just how predatory the American economic system is, do you?
    You don't need to own the apartment to lease it second hand in sweden. Only need the landlord to ok it. Can you not do the same in the us?

  17. #77
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Elizabeth Warren's BDSM dungeon.
    Posts
    46,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    $800 a month in Irvine!? I find that shocking and impossible to believe. It must be with roommates, no?
    More to the point, the woman Katie Porter was talking about is entirely fictional and yet the assumption that said woman must be making poor choices was automatic.
    Many people have asked if I support trans rights. The answer is yes. If you can memorize obscure history of Azeroth, you can memorize someone's canonical pronouns. Under my presidency, Gamers will lead our nation to respectfully obsessing over people's lore.
    - Ace Watkins, Gamer Candidate for President of the United States

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Because moving furniture is the only cost involved in relocating. Okay.



    You know, it would just be easier for you to admit that you don't actually have a solution because you fundamentally don't see poverty as a problem.

    There's something incredibly narcissistic about believing that "everyone poorer than me must be lazier or less intelligent".
    I have already offered solutions, but you simply don't like them. Move, earn more, spend less... problem solved.

    I have shown how she can save $800 a month, and you ignored it. Once again, nobody gives a shit about someone else's bad choices in life. Feel sorry for yourself all you like, nobody else is coming to the pity party.

    And yes, this is all about you feeling sorry for yourself and wanting to feel like a victim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.

  19. #79
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Elizabeth Warren's BDSM dungeon.
    Posts
    46,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I have already offered solutions, but you simply don't like them. Move, earn more, spend less... problem solved.
    Because none of them fundamentally address the issue that your solutions cost money that people in poverty do not have.

    It's not an incredibly predatory system with the goal of keeping people in a crushing cycle of poverty and debt for the extraction of value, it must just be thousands and thousands of entirely unrelated people making the exact same poor choices. Alas, if only all of the poor people in the US knew about this one money calculator that could solve the entirety of their problems!

    Also saying 'wanting to feel like a victim' is one of the chief indicators of privilege because being a victim is not a choice by definition.
    Many people have asked if I support trans rights. The answer is yes. If you can memorize obscure history of Azeroth, you can memorize someone's canonical pronouns. Under my presidency, Gamers will lead our nation to respectfully obsessing over people's lore.
    - Ace Watkins, Gamer Candidate for President of the United States

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    $800 a month in Irvine!? I find that shocking and impossible to believe. It must be with roommates, no?

    The only things in that price range when I was house hunting were manufactured homes and senior living apartments. I was completely priced out of Orange County entirely, much less Irvine.
    Sure, with roommates. Plenty of people live with roommates, and figure shit out just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •