Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Player Eleven View Post
    Wow, people won't give you things for free? I must say I am shocked!
    I'm not though, because I firmly maintain that really the only solution "free market" advocates have for poverty is just up and fucking die.

You're admitting that the threat of destitution forces people to take jobs that pay shit even if they aren't necessarily "lazy" or make poor decisions. The fact that there is a natural rate of unemployment means that there will never be enough jobs to support everyone regardless of their individual actions, and the solution for those the system ultimately excludes is....nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    What is your point here?
    Your original point implied a correlation-causation claim between two parameters. I was calling that out as being unfounded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Ahh, there it is... moving goalposts. I was waiting for that.

Maybe you should have gotten medical insurance that covered pre-existing conditions.
    None of the insurance companies in my area offer it, because buyouts have reduced the number of said companies to three.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    None of the insurance companies in my area offer it, because buyouts have reduced the number of said companies to three.
    You should move.

Exactly where is this?

Then, don't shop at Wal-Mart, boycott the shit out of them. Refuse to work for them. Wal-Mart sure as shit doesn't think all their jobs are necessary, because any good company is always looking to reduce labor costs and be more efficient.

I work in the tech industry, and I also own a small company. I make good money, as does my wife. As for more people being able to do my job, that is my incentive to always improve myself. That's a feature of capitalism, not a bug.

I don't work hard, and I haven't always made good financial decisions. I've made a shit ton of poor ones, but they were my decisions. I'm not blaming someone else.
    This isn't about Walmart. I used Walmart as an example because 100% of the people employed there are necessary for them to function because they aggressively figure out how to function with as few employees as possible. Most large corporations are the same.

Implying more people should make good decisions like you may eventually lead to more competition for you. You can handle that until you can't. Insert other various hazards that may happen to you through no fault of your own.

Grats to you for making bad decisions however not everything bad in your life is your fault. Sometimes shit happens and that shit happens to be another person. The following post is an excellent example of how someone else makes a bad decision for you.

Deficit spending. It's literally older people forcing those too young to vote, and those who have yet to be born, to pay for the shit they happen to want.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they want better pay they can find a better paying job.
    Again, there will never be enough jobs to support everyone commensurate with their actual effort/ability - the fact there is a natural rate of unemployment is demonstrative of this.

What's your solution for the people ultimately left out?

Quote Originally Posted by Suneye View Post
    I've never heard of anyone being considered more or less moral because of money.
    Move to the US. You'll get an earful of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    This isn't about Walmart. I used Walmart as an example because 100% of the people employed there are necessary for them to function because they aggressively figure out how to function with as few employees as possible. Most large corporations are the same.

Implying more people should make good decisions like you may eventually lead to more competition for you. You can handle that until you can't. Insert other various hazards that may happen to you through no fault of your own.

Grats to you for making bad decisions however not everything bad in your life is your fault. Sometimes shit happens and that shit happens to be another person. The following post is an excellent example of how someone else makes a bad decision for you.
    Yes, sometimes shit does happen, but most of the financial issues that arise can be properly planned for.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should move.

Exactly where is this?
    Nowhere, because like Katie Porter's example it's a thought experiment representation of the outcome of your policies. There are many places in the US where the number of insurance companies is in the range of single digits, and it's not unreasonable to assume that were they not legally barred from doing so none of them would offer coverage for preexisting conditions.

You keep vehemently insisting that a capitalist market can't victimize people, is it really that hard to conceptualize?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, sometimes shit does happen, but most of the financial issues that arise can be properly planned for.
    Citation needed.

Who plans being unemployed due to a recession.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never heard of anyone being considered more or less moral because of money.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosperity_theology

It's very widespread in the USA.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Nowhere, because like Katie Porter's example it's a thought experiment representation of the outcome of your policies. There are many places in the US where the number of insurance companies is in the range of single digits, and it's not unreasonable to assume that were they not legally barred from doing so none of them would offer coverage for preexisting conditions.

You keep vehemently insisting that a capitalist market can't victimize people, is it really that hard to conceptualize?

- - - Updated - - -

Citation needed.

Who plans being unemployed due to a recession.
    So, you just lied... very well.

My citation is the video you posted, her actions were voluntary, and her own. Thanks for that.

Ahh, there it is... moving goalposts. I was waiting for that.

Maybe you should have gotten medical insurance that covered pre-existing conditions.
    Ya that was soooooooooo easy prior to the ACA in most states..... /s

Maybe he should have just won the lottery too
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Ya that was soooooooooo easy prior to the ACA in most states..... /s

Maybe he should have just won the lottery too
    The other posters just admitted to lying.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, you just lied... very well.

My citation is the video you posted, her actions were voluntary, and her own. Thanks for that.
    I clearly said the woman Katie Porter was talking about was fictional, and that is the point.

When Jamie Dimon was confronted with the simple fact that the wages he offers to his employees are not livable, the immediate response is to try and personalise it - "I'd like to talk to this woman", et cetera - because he, like you, has a vested interest in automatically assuming that people's conditions are entirely of their own making.

It's kinda childish, really. Running away from acknowledging that, *gasp*, you might be complicit in a system of exploitation and might not have actually got where you are entirely on your own merits.

I clearly said the woman Katie Porter was talking about was fictional, and that is the point.

When Jamie Dimon was confronted with the simple fact that the wages he offers to his employees are not livable, the immediate response is to try and personalise it - "I'd like to talk to this woman", et cetera - because he, like you, has a vested interest in automatically assuming that people's conditions are entirely of their own making.

It's kinda childish, really. Running away from acknowledging that, *gasp*, you might be complicit in a system of exploitation and might not have actually got where you are entirely on your own merits.
    I'm talking about your latest deflection into health care.

If you take a job with shit pay, don't complain about it. You can get a job like mine without any prior experience and it pays far better than retail or working at McDonald's.
    So when all those people working at McDonalds apply to get jobs like "yours".....I guess there must be a few million of them ready right?

And how do you think that is going to impact your salary? Timburrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Also back in 1987 when I worked at McDonalds I was making 7.25 and after a year I was making over 9.00. Crazy how you could make a living back then but now they are "shitty jobs with shitty pay".
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Sweden is predominantly protestant as well but you don't hear that here.
    I'm afraid that kind of insanity is fairly rampant here.
    I mean the GOP just gave a lavish tax cut to the wealthy here and needed to justify it somehow, despite the fact that it put everyone else more in debt.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm talking about your latest deflection into health care.
    I did what Katie Porter did. Presented a situation - your response to it stands regardless of its veracity.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Your original point implied a correlation-causation claim between two parameters. I was calling that out as being unfounded.
    Unfounded hmm... interesting as the stats seem to disagree and lawmakers

10+ Year Old Account
    In like 99.99% of the cases it is peoples own doing if they're poor.
    And yet the only thing you and Machismo have given this entire thread in terms of substance for this viewpoint is...Nothing, really. You say it like everyone assumes it's fact.