Poll: Most enjoyable Caster spec

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Favourite/Most Enjoyable Caster spec?

So which of the caster specs do you like the most and which do you think is the most well put together? I know dps matters for a lot of people, but to me it is secondary, currently the aethetics, theme, fantasy and fun playing are more important.

It's hard to enjoy a caster spec who's theme you don't like. So if you're not a fan of cursing people and having demons following you, the warlock may not really appeal.. still it would be interesting

I have BFA experience with Shadow priests, Demo warlocks and some with Balance druid, Destro Lock and Frost mage - haven't really tried much after that at all.

Trying to decide which new caster spec to go with and would be interesting to see if there is a clear favourite.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, would you devote a character to a spec e..g have more than one mage, because you're devoting 1 of them to Frost spec and the other to the fire spec?

10+ Year Old Account
    Most definitely fire mage for me. I love shooting Fireballs and Pyroblasts. Those Pyroblast procs are so satisfying to me especially when you get like 5 in a row. The visual effects help too, they're really nice to look at.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Destruction Warlock hands down.

Balance druid.

The aesthetics of the spells is mermerizing, Starfall has my favorite AoE animation in the game. And you can really appreciate the ebb and flow of the spec.

I miss being able to drop a giant moon on my targets. Too bad that talent isn't viable.

Also, no. I would never have 2 of a class just to try different specs. Not in a world like BfA where you have to grind 1000 systems just to stay up-to-date.
    Last edited by Ragnarohk; 2020-01-17 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    But why? I played destro on my lock till someway through 120, then switcheed to demo, had so much more fun, building up demons then destroying the imps.. so satisfying for big explosion numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    But why? I played destro on my lock till someway through 120, then switcheed to demo, had so much more fun, building up demons then destroying the imps.. so satisfying for big explosion numbers.
    It's like a bad ass fire mage to me who dabbles in the dark arts of the fel. Uses a demon but doesn't rely solely on demons for power and utility, traits that attract me game-play and lore-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    I'd have to agree. Having a spec with minimal buttons to manage, while having a fairly deep skill cap in terms of prepping huge infernals with Darksoul overlap as well as havok windows, feels good to pull it off cleanly.
    Though I personally think Green Fire is mandatory, can't imagine enjoying it without it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hard to say. Wrath destro lock, Cata Frost Mage, MoP Fire Mage and SPriest. I would pick Mage as the overall best over time, but they happen to be in (imo) one of their worst states ever right now.

I've had the most fun as Warlock.

Demonology is my preferred spec, I just love the aesthetic of building up and blowing up an army of demons. But, I'm quite proud of my green fire as I earned it in MoP and have the achievement title and Demo doesn't show any green fire at all anymore. I switched to Destruction and I enjoy it fine, but I still like Demonology game play and aesthetics more...if only it had some green fire thrown in there somewhere I don't think I'd ever play anything else.

5+ Year Old Account
    Agreed with Fire Mage. Wish they made more caster specs that are as fun.

Easily balance. Not just caster either, imo balance is the most polished spec in the game.

It went through many years of clunkiness and bullshit like the fucking eclipse bar, and it still has some room for improvement (starfall looking at you), but imo Blizzard has done a fantastic job with this spec. Legion was a peak in spec design that carried over well to BfA.

It is just so smooth and relaxing to play. There is a substantial learning curve to it, and you definitely want to tailor a UI to give you the information you need, but it is rewarding and one of the very few specs in the game that a perfectionist OCD person can go to town with. You get very little compromising, overflowing resources, procs you have to react to and prioritize, conflicting cooldowns etc. It's just smooth and organized. Even the resources it has, and technically it has quite a few, build up reliably and predictably.

Even in PvP it is great, especially considering how fucked BfA casters are in general. It scores average or above average in all aspects.

Not to mention the mobility of a druid, and the fact that you can push a button and be one of the most effective and well-rounded healers in a pinch without really needing to worry about gear.

If any devs are reading this, pls treat this spec with the respect it deserves. Don't give it a 9 second rotational cooldown because you feel like it needs spicing up. If you want to change anything, have a hard look at starfall and AoE in general.

I love balance.
    Last edited by Thelxi; 2020-01-17 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubenwolf View Post
    Most definitely fire mage for me. I love shooting Fireballs and Pyroblasts. Those Pyroblast procs are so satisfying to me especially when you get like 5 in a row. The visual effects help too, they're really nice to look at.
    Surely fire mage, but every time I played my mage they wouldn't let fire be decent.

Historically, Arcane Mage. But right now, Destruction is great fun!

they all kind of suck. only time i enjoyed it was when living bomb was a thing way back when.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

God I loved my fire mage in Legion. I haven't leveled it through BFA yet but previously with the right talent build it was just a nonstop pain train of blowing up enemies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Ele, Arcane and Shadow. Don't care about theme very much, but those are the ones I enjoy playing the most ignoring numbers.
    Last edited by Tradu; 2020-01-18 at 12:50 AM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Destro for 2 targets
    Affliction for 1 target. A couple targets more is nice for Agony.
    Demo for dungeons and cleaving off 1 target
    Shadow for multiple targets

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Destro for 2 targets
    Affliction for 1 target. A couple targets more is nice for Agony.
    Demo for dungeons and cleaving off 1 target
    Shadow for multiple targets
    I notice a consistent theme in your choices.

Elemental Shaman. Great-looking spells, really fun AOE. Wears mail (so decent armor), can self-heal, can instantly self-revive, and does reasonable damage.

Arcane Mage up until Legion

Frost mage since 8.0