Page 34 of 55 FirstFirst ...
24
32
33
34
35
36
44
... LastLast
  1. #661
    Quote Originally Posted by PrivateSmiley View Post
    sort of but no. (https://investor.activision.com/news...worlds-largest)

    Vivendi and Activision came to an agreement that saw Vivendi buying Activision.
    Vivendi did not buy Activision. They bought a controlling share in Activision (renamed Activision-Blizzard). Activision-Blizzard was not a part of Vivendi, because the minority shareholders also owned some of it.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler
    WoW is like 99% bear ass collection simulator -- D-Rock

  2. #662
    The Insane Acidbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgium, Flanders
    Posts
    15,421
    Maybe true, maybe false.

    However more expansions faster is something they did announce, what they didn't mention is less content in every expansion and you shelling out more money for the game as that is the intend of faster expacs.

    Would hardly be a surprise if this were to be true, it's a standard activision practice. They rather spend more money on marketing than on development to dupe you into buying their games.

  3. #663
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Blizz sold themselves to Davison and associates a long time ago (before they were even called Blizzard.)

    They went through a couple of owners before being bought by Vivendi SA and kept under their Vivendi Games holding company.

    Activision wanted to buy Blizzard for their online gaming expertise. Vivendi refused and made a counter offer to buy Activision, renaming Vivendi Games as Activision-Blizzard.

    A while later Vivendi decided they no longer wanted to make video games as part of a streamlining initiative. They had several considerations including stripping Activision and Blizzard of their IPs to be sold piecemeal. Activision-Blizzard executives and some other investors got enough cash together to buy themselves from Vivendi. Acti-Blizz became an independent company.
    All things started by their initial choice to whore themselves out for more money.

    100% Blizzard's fault.

    Apologists, gotta love 'em.

  4. #664
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    All things started by their initial choice to whore themselves out for more money.

    100% Blizzard's fault.

    Apologists, gotta love 'em.
    And the alternative was them possibly not managing to release Warcraft 1 or any subsequent games like the Starcraft and Diablo series.

  5. #665
    Quote Originally Posted by GasaiYuno951 View Post
    as in like 5ish items with text 8.3.5 nothing else stop it
    Entire warfronts, entire dialogues between NPCs that never made it into BFA.

  6. #666
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    Entire warfronts, entire dialogues between NPCs that never made it into BFA.
    I mean,

    Do you really consider fewer Warfronts a bad thing? Lol.

  7. #667
    Quote Originally Posted by Tantaburs View Post
    This is just outright not true. Either you misunderstood what Preach said
    I honestly think you misunderstood what Preach said. I would recommend you to watch the video again.

    Preach wanted Bellular to clarify what his sources were and why he decided to report on it if his sources were questionable. Turns out the sources weren't questionable and he clarified so to Preach. Preach then contacted his own contacts at Blizzard and they were also affirming what Bellular reported originally.

    - WoW devs don't get to design what they'd like to design because it doesn't match the expectations of the higher-ups at Activision-Blizzard
    - Morale is low
    - Even the WoW Dev team doesn't have a good feeling about how Shadowlands will be received, they don't feel like they have enough time to develop it (one of the reasons why 8.3.5 got shoved aside and 8.3 / BFA in general got cut short).

    Personally I dislike this whole corporate approach to video game design. I want them to flesh out their expansions instead of hurrying to the next one because that's where the big money is: hyped up expansion launches. I would've preferred to see and experience the entire storyline that was planned for Warlords of Draenor and Battle for Azeroth and N'zoth and Saurfang... instead of lore characters having their entire stories / characters ruined because corporate sales deadlines and quotas.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I mean,

    Do you really consider fewer Warfronts a bad thing? Lol.
    See my last post.

    Yes, I would rather prefer to experience the entire storyline instead of cut-short versions , characters having their arcs stopped halfway, etc. because Activision-Blizzard wants more money on the bank instead of respecting the World of Warcraft.

  8. #668
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    I honestly think you misunderstood what Preach said. I would recommend you to watch the video again.

    Preach wanted Bellular to clarify what his sources were and why he decided to report on it if his sources were questionable. Turns out the sources weren't questionable and he clarified so to Preach. Preach then contacted his own contacts and Blizzard and they were also affirming what Bellular reported originally.

    - WoW devs don't get to design what they'd like to design because it doesn't match the expectations of the higher-ups at Activision-Blizzard
    - Morale is low
    - Even the WoW Dev team doesn't have a good feeling about how Shadowlands will be received, they don't feel like they have enough time to develop it (one of the reasons why 8.3.5 got shoved aside and 8.3 / BFA in general got cut short).

    Personally I dislike this whole corporate approach to video game design. I want them to flesh out their expansions instead of hurrying to the next one because that's where the big money is: hyped up expansion launches. I would've preferred to see and experience the entire storyline that was planned for Warlords of Draenor and Battle for Azeroth and N'zoth and Saurfang... instead of lore characters having their entire stories / characters ruined because corporate sales deadlines and quotas.

    - - - Updated - - -



    See my last post.

    Yes, I would rather prefer to experience the entire storyline instead of cut-short versions , characters having their arcs stopped halfway, etc. because Activision-Blizzard wants more money on the bank instead of respecting the World of Warcraft.
    I'm only half-joking about the Warfronts. Yes, it's content. But I don't think I speak from a minority position when I say that it's not exactly engaging content. I'm okay with Warfronts being axed but much like you I would've preferred a more fleshed out storyline.

    To address your point about the "corporate approach" to video game design: Yes, WoW has definitely seemed to have suffered recently because of it. But I think that as bad as this approach is for gamers, in general, there has been a bit of ebb and flow there. For example, Star Wars: Battlefront II was met with almost universal backlash due to their idiotic "sense of pride and accomplishment" justification of MTX on Reddit. This resulted with the dev team doing an almost complete 180 very late in the dev cycle, but the damage had already been done and the game was generally received as a dud. The result of that is that they went back to the drawing board and we got Stars Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, one of the best received games of this year. Additionally, FFVII: Remake and DooM: Eternal have both had very public pushbacks but both of them have had fans support the dev team regardless. I'm hoping Activision heads see these games bucking the "release date or else" trend and realize that WoW needs additional time to save the game from a poor reception. Imo, SL needs to be up there with Legion to be able to move the public opinion meter back in a favorable direction. The devs expressing concern this early in the dev cycle is definitely not a good sign but... I'm perfectly fine with waiting til 2021 for SL if it gives the devs the time they need to really go above and beyond.
    Last edited by otaXephon; 2020-01-23 at 05:58 AM.

  9. #669
    Old God Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Langley, London, Undisclosed Locations
    Posts
    10,664
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    Yes, I would rather prefer to experience the entire storyline instead of cut-short versions , characters having their arcs stopped halfway, etc. because Activision-Blizzard wants more money on the bank instead of respecting the World of Warcraft.
    'respecting'... Seriously? It's their intellectual property, they can do pretty much anything they want with it, and there isn't anything you can do about it other than cry and bitch.

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

  10. #670
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    'respecting'... Seriously? It's their intellectual property, they can do pretty much anything they want with it, and there isn't anything you can do about it other than cry and bitch.
    To be fair, you really have to wonder how a company which reached some pretty incredible emotional highs with the Old Soldier cinematic decided to end the expansion with a fucking 24-second rip-off of the ending of Return of the King. It's confusingly lazy.

  11. #671
    The Unstoppable Force FelPlague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    20,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    The next thing you do then is you judge the trustworthiness of the reporter:
    - Would he report on questionable sources?
    as a tuber myself.
    yeah.
    "Leak" or "Insider info" etc gets insane amounts of veiws and clicks, its mental, pair that with the rage train (Which in itself has huge amounts of money.) you have yourself a fucking ton of muns


    few things

    1. specific topics bring in more veiwers are people spread them more, leaks, etc.

    2. thing that get people talking in the comments gets you lots of money too, so stuff like... for example leaks, opinion peices, or "This is shit" cause then people either agree with you (*which alot of the time they will cause angry people attract more angry people)
    or they disagree, but that is still fan interaction, which pushes it in reccomended. pair that all with people will watch it just to prove how wrong you are!

    3. You dont need to be credible, people will forget unless its abyssmal. you can claim you got a good source, and then just... if it turns out wrong, say well you got tricked just as much as yor veiwers did! but you made money... they didnt....

    4. you can literally do anything, and still do fine.
    A. literally anyone called out by idubbz, all doing great still, still doing fucking scumbag things but still getting away with it, look to jake paul, dead body and tazzing dead animals, caught lying about being colour blind to get veiws.
    but all that and hes fine
    B. warcraft bible, dude got run off the internet... then came back a few days later and became an even more successful fortnite youtuber.
    C. heelvsbabyfac,e literally quit the game because he hated it, lost all his veiwers as they were only there to see him shit on blizz, you could see this because he started playing things he enjoyed, and he had sometimes less then a thousand veiws, it was bad, so then he came back later and boom his veiwers shot up again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Azerite is absolutely RNG you are right. You have no idea what traits will be on that piece you got from a random source until you roll it. I've literally had a Warfront piece that had the "opposite faction" passive and no passive/proc for my spec but it did for the other 2.

  12. #672
    Titan Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    14,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    words
    Your just flat out lying at this point rather it be though integional dishonesty or fan boying so hard that you don’t even watch the videos you link.

    -Preach says he wouldn’t have reported it.
    -He says 8.3 was the most tested patch since wod and most changed patch ever that they really listened to feed back.
    -preach then says he’s wary about shadowlands not from bell’s video or any blizzard contact but because of them continuing on with systems in 8.3.
    -preach also says that blizzard contacts are wrong a lot of the time and the stuff they tell him is changed a lot of the time before it’s ever shown to the point where it’s fine.

    At the very most preach says there’s a lot of “cloak and dagger bullshit” but he’s not concerned about that he worry’s about how 8.3 goes against the interview he had with ion in terms of design.

  13. #673
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    Entire warfronts, entire dialogues between NPCs that never made it into BFA.
    But that wasn't in 8.3.5. Stuff gets cut from development all the time. Clearly you don't remember the actual WotLK box having a cut feature. Or a raid talked about at Blizzcon being cut. Things in development get cut. There was much known about 8.3.5 other then some datamined dialogue which isn't a big deal to miss out on. And we don't even know if it is totally missed out on. It could be part of 9.0 pre-launch. It could be in 8.3 but unlocks after X amount of time. Or it could just be cut.

    Big deal.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  14. #674
    Old God Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Langley, London, Undisclosed Locations
    Posts
    10,664
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    To be fair, you really have to wonder how a company which reached some pretty incredible emotional highs with the Old Soldier cinematic decided to end the expansion with a fucking 24-second rip-off of the ending of Return of the King. It's confusingly lazy.
    I wonder a lot of things about Blizzard's motivation to do various things, then I come back to what I said. I showed my disgust by refusing to continue to shell out my money to Blizzard more than 2 years ago. I visit here looking for a reason to come back, and I see gasoline soaked dumpster fires like this thread and go, nope still cant find one.

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

  15. #675
    Fluffy Kitten MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    29,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    I wonder a lot of things about Blizzard's motivation to do various things, then I come back to what I said. I showed my disgust by refusing to continue to shell out my money to Blizzard more than 2 years ago. I visit here looking for a reason to come back, and I see gasoline soaked dumpster fires like this thread and go, nope still cant find one.
    It's difficult to separate out what may be factual from those that are trying to gin up some forum outrage and bask in the attention.

    This isn't an answer for you about the game but the best I can say is watch the news posts and if something looks OK by you, give it a month and see. Your perfectly valid reasons for leaving may still outweigh anything that has changed but relying on this forum (especially) or any other to give you any sort of useful feedback is very limited unless you have a supremely effective non-bullshit protector. A bullshit detector won't help much because there's really too much of it. Outside of perhaps half a dozen people here I wouldn't ever rely on this forum (or others) to help me determine what's going on. I know there are a bunch of people--non-raiders mostly that come back for a couple of months at the end of an expansion and for the first month of the new to see what's what. It's a relatively small investment every 18-24 months.

    You can learn quite a bit from YouTube videos where people are just playing although they are much harder to find than this BS by the influencer-commentariat that Blizzard seems to think is so important (Note to Blizzard: They are not.)

    Note #2 for Blizzard: You could always start producing a few gameplay videos of your own showing how stuff works in depth with developers or testers running through your features. Q&A stuff with Ion is fine but an hour here and there of feature-targeted gameplay with the developers wouldn't kill you to produce. Other studios do this with varying results but it wouldn't strain your budget to try this now and then when you have something you want to show.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2020-01-23 at 07:07 AM.
    “We live in a moment where everything immediately seems to default to outrage. There’s a kind of M.O. of either it’s exactly how I see it, or you’re my enemy.”

  16. #676
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    I wonder a lot of things about Blizzard's motivation to do various things, then I come back to what I said. I showed my disgust by refusing to continue to shell out my money to Blizzard more than 2 years ago. I visit here looking for a reason to come back, and I see gasoline soaked dumpster fires like this thread and go, nope still cant find one.
    Despite being called a wow-hater several times in this thread based on literally nothing. I actually do still play and would recommend the game to anyone. There is always stuff to do and to progress on and finding a class and spec that is fun is entirely subjective, but very easy when you have close to 40 different choices (and lots of new races!) now.

  17. #677
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    And the alternative was them possibly not managing to release Warcraft 1 or any subsequent games like the Starcraft and Diablo series.
    And yet it's still their fault for making that decision. You can excuse it all you like, it doesn't change the fact that they chose to sell themselves (at any point, mind you; they could have collectively stopped at any point in the chain), landing in their current situation.

  18. #678
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    And yet it's still their fault for making that decision. You can excuse it all you like, it doesn't change the fact that they chose to sell themselves (at any point, mind you; they could have collectively stopped at any point in the chain), landing in their current situation.
    Business whose sole existence is to make money decides to make money.

    This community:


  19. #679
    Well, Activision has a point ... shitty devs gonna deliver shitty game regardless of content or hours put in. I didn't even look at 8.3, I don't' care what's in it. The classes are shit, the RNG is shit, raiding rewards are shit and 8.3 or 8.3.5 won't change that. More content for what? More Island expeditions or more pet battles or more war fronts? It's a waste of money.

  20. #680
    Regarding the "8.3.5 is cancelled" issue, if true, I don't think that's necessarily bad. People generally didn't like BFA. Should they spend a lot of resources on for one desperate attempt of tweaking it up to "somewhat playable", or should they just cut their losses, move on, and get Shadowlands out faster, and with more content? At any rate, they won't spend the saved time jerking off.
    Mother pus bucket!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •