Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Horrific Visions - ilvl ?

I'm having a difficult time on my recently boosted Frost Death Knight. currently ilvl 405 (with cloak) and was getting owned hard by trash guards. Before I spend another Vessel of Horrific Visions, I wonder if i should save them for now till my ilvl is higher.

So that got me wondering, at what ilvl are you entering (solo), what class/spec do you play and are you successful?

iLvl isn't really the key, your class and spec are the key.

If you can deal sufficient damage to kill things without taking much damage yourself - you will be fine.
    If you are dealing mega damage to things, but take damage yourself - you are screwed.

DH at 420 can pretty much farm the place from first go, my arcane mage at iLvl 450 cloak at rank 5 - gets stood on in the medium zones, just splat.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Retribution 440 = Easily two 2 tiers + Thrall
    Unholy 420 = Easily one 2 tier, whole trash in another 2 tier and Thrall.. cannot do 2 tiers
    Mage 420 = can do one 2 tier and Thrall, struggling

I can tell you that an ilvl 443 Havoc DH can pull the entire area before Thrall and obliterate everything while more-or-less remaining at full health and without taking too much time. In this case the only limiting factor is the Sanity drain, and I'm not efficient enough yet to not waste at least 2 orbs while doing the 2 bonus areas.

I'd personally suggest you wait a week, collect the assault and daily rewards and such, amass those vessels. When the raid opens, high chances are the ilvl of dungeons will rise up 30 item levels to keep pace with it, just like it happened for Eternal Palace. It will mean easy gearing to a comfortable point where the Visions shouldn't give you too much trouble outside of the sanity mechanics(assuming they won't scale the visions up to accomodate, which will suck for everyone).
    Last edited by MeTaL GuArD; 2020-01-18 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shade3891 View Post
    I'm having a difficult time on my recently boosted Frost Death Knight. currently ilvl 405 (with cloak) and was getting owned hard by trash guards. Before I spend another Vessel of Horrific Visions, I wonder if i should save them for now till my ilvl is higher.

So that got me wondering, at what ilvl are you entering (solo), what class/spec do you play and are you successful?
    405 is very low. Even the catchup gear drops in the Assaults are 410. So yeah, you probably ought to get a bit better gear. Do note you can't save more than 7 visions, though.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    405 is very low. Even the catchup gear drops in the Assaults are 410. So yeah, you probably ought to get a bit better gear. Do note you can't save more than 7 visions, though.
    You can, if you dont turn in the invasion-quests :P

Lowest was my bm hunter at 394, two rank 1 essences. Cleared the whole room around thrall then him. I tried the shaman wing but got messed up in combat so couldnt do the light at the last shaman to free. Bit low on damage. Had 1 light left fml. Just gonna clear first room on that until next week. Got two more to do this week on my characters.

So doing 1 wing at 400-410 is no problem. I'm I wrong it scales with ilvl a bit? Felt like it but the hp differences wasn't that different from 394 and 444.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Lowest was my bm hunter at 394, two rank 1 essences. Cleared the whole room around thrall then him. I tried the shaman wing but got messed up in combat so couldnt do the light at the last shaman to free. Bit low on damage. Had 1 light left fml. Just gonna clear first room on that until next week. Got two more to do this week on my characters.

So doing 1 wing at 400-410 is no problem. I'm I wrong it scales with ilvl a bit? Felt like it but the hp differences wasn't that different from 394 and 444.
    You are talking about playing with character that has pet tank. Its a bit different than classes that have to body tank thrall.

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaL GuArD View Post
    I can tell you that an ilvl 443 Havoc DH can pull the entire area before Thrall and obliterate everything while more-or-less remaining at full health and without taking too much time.
    Did the same on a 425 war. I’d say it’s possible with any class that has a defensive cd and Azerite beam essence. Since pulling guards at the door aggravés everything and you don’t need to run around pulling and taking unnecessary hits.

On a lower level note - any class with a pet can be pretty efficient at getting cloak levels. Did 3 runs on a 395 warlock, a bit slow and tedious, yes, but zero risks. If I knew how to play it i’d say it’s reasonable to do thrall without any orbs at that ilvl.

Quote Originally Posted by Tang0 View Post
    Since pulling guards at the door aggravés everything and you don’t need to run around pulling and taking unnecessary hits.
    What?! I'm skipping everything with invis on mage. Killing only two guards before Thrall.

Quote Originally Posted by Narruin View Post
    What?! I'm skipping everything with invis on mage. Killing only two guards before Thrall.
    Colour me a little bit surprised, if it’s coded differently for different classes, but I doubt it. I always run straight down the middle and heroic leap on the stairs. As soon as the guards aggrieved on me - so does every mob in the area, even the ones that are pretty far to the sides from the stairs.

Not really complaining, makes it faster for me, but I was wondering if a rogue has to suffer through that, neglecting his core class mechanic. Apparently not.

Colour me a little bit surprised, if it’s coded differently for different classes, but I doubt it. I always run straight down the middle and heroic leap on the stairs. As soon as the guards aggrieved on me - so does every mob in the area, even the ones that are pretty far to the sides from the stairs.

Not really complaining, makes it faster for me, but I was wondering if a rogue has to suffer through that, neglecting his core class mechanic. Apparently not.
    I've done it with 4 characters and never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Testodruid View Post
    Will I be able to get my cloak to rank 6 solo with my current gear, or am I fucked?
    You can max it solo. It just takes longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyleech View Post
    if you dont turn them in you lose them when the next round is up.

If you run down the middle that pulls everything before you even aggro the guards, guards are not linked to anything.

Rogues get pushed out of stealth from time to time so they can't just go up to the guards (vanish works of course to get rid of what you pulled).

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyleech View Post
    You can't save them over reset that way.

nope not happening on my druid that stealth to the 2 guards before thrall either. if you dont stealth you aggro everything u walk past ofc

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Rogues get pushed out of stealth from time to time so they can't just go up to the guards (vanish works of course to get rid of what you pulled).
    yes you can. done that 5 times without pulling anything except those 2

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    If you run down the middle that pulls everything before you even aggro the guards, guards are not linked to anything.

The thing is, I don’t even run. I just heroic leap from the side of the first pack on the left. And the ones the sides would be too far to pull with a ranged throw even if I wanted to. I’ll try to pay more attention next time i’m there, to see if it does it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    You are talking about playing with character that has pet tank. Its a bit different than classes that have to body tank thrall.
    And, the damage was shit and had to mend pet all the time. It was 394!(hehe)

Every spec got their advantages. Sure Hunters got a pet, several of the specs in game got something that can take aggro off or abilities that can keep the health up easily. OP got a DK, which got awesome surviveability. The Visions are super-easy if you stay in the first room.

Next alt is my Mage. Gonna obliterate everything in there.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    iLvl isn't really the key, your class and spec are the key.

If you can deal sufficient damage to kill things without taking much damage yourself - you will be fine.
    If you are dealing mega damage to things, but take damage yourself - you are screwed.

DH at 420 can pretty much farm the place from first go, my arcane mage at iLvl 450 cloak at rank 5 - gets stood on in the medium zones, just splat.
    I am guessing that a Frost mage would do better than Fire or Arcane since it is less bursty and more constant.