Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Are the LF Draenei fanatics?

Honestly thinking that they now drop somewhere between the Spanish Inquisition and Al Qaeda. I was doing the alliance storyline and I'm honestly shocked to see the attitude of several characters. From Grand Lector Enaara wanting to "Purify" prisoners to the LF Draenei during the War Campaign mission "Taking the Blood Gate" wanting to purge the horde from Azeroth.

It seems really out of place though it would give some hints to what went on Draenor after we left. But I always thought that to be an issue with nature consuming the spirit of draenor as told in the chronicle and that the events on Draenor are not what they seem.

It does seem to sell the narrative blizzard wants with the light/void being able to be used for both good and evil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    And yet they don't have issue being on one faction with void elves. So i would call them moderates at best.

+ they are alliance so nothing will come out of it anyway.

No different than any other race. They all have bad elements. The Pandaren are considered to be the most peaceful race for example, and even they had a few crazy emperors in their history. Compared to the Lightbound or even just MU Xe'ra, they are much tamer and are willing to put aside their differences and work together with unsavory allies, whether they be Illidari or Ren'dorei. Keep Yrel on the other side of the now-deactivated Dark Portal and they'll be fine.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

They should be, but aren't. Those are the tiny incidents where they actually act like physical representations of a cosmic power who've lived in a constant state of total war for 25k years, i.e what they should be and what would make them unique.

In all other cases, so 99.9% of their screen time they're a joke because of their team-up with void elves, being led by a human, being able to be raised into Death Knights, etc. They're just draenei with a different coat of paint.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Op think your overthinking this. They weren't originally designed as being complete fanatics more just a group who's been fighting evil for so long it twisted a couple of their owns minds to becoming fanatical, and this was just thrown in so anyone playing one could roleplay a fanatic if they choose.

People often confuse these for the light bound fanatics on AU draenor that yrel became after we left and some years past.

Also the example you used, it could easily just as much be interpreted humans are fanatics because of groups like the scarlet crusade.

It's basically just showing how individuals of certain groups can go to far with a concept, because it adds some extra flavour if someone wants to play a light forged a certain way. Seriously it's the same as the different tropes of orcs, the thrall/durotan types, the gul'dan types, the grommash types, the blackhand types, just as a way of giving their character a jumping block to start out on.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2020-01-18 at 11:24 AM.
    #boycottchina

not the Lightforged of main universe azeroth...

...but the Lightbound of AU draenor are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WraithKingOstarion View Post
    not the Lightforged of main universe azeroth...

...but the Lightbound of AU draenor are.
    Like say, people think they are the same thing.
    #boycottchina

Now that the Void is ho-hum old news, they're trying the whole "Good is actually eeeevil" route, but aren't quite committed to it yet, since it invalidates almost everything we've done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    Now that the Void is ho-hum old news, they're trying the whole "Good is actually eeeevil" route, but aren't quite committed to it yet, since it invalidates almost everything we've done.
    old news for now, at least the Old Gods are done with, we'll be seeing the good ole' void lords down the pipe in like expansions i'm sure. back to the good ole' good vs evil narrative.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thats the reason why i dont want to play LF Draenei while i love their aesthetics and instead stick to my usual draenei. They feel too brainwashed, dependent and zealoteous even if they are within the Alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbour View Post
    Thats the reason why i dont want to play LF Draenei while i love their aesthetics and instead stick to my usual draenei. They feel too brainwashed, dependent and zealoteous even if they are within the Alliance.
    I lost interest after hearing "T'PARTOS!" screamed thirty times a second.
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    The Lightforged are somewhat more zealous than the regular Draenei as shown by the words and actions of some of their marquee NPC's, but I wouldn't call them "fanatics" in the same way AU Yrel and her Lightbound are (apparently made that way through Xe'ra's influences).
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUK View Post
    Honestly thinking that they now drop somewhere between the Spanish Inquisition and Al Qaeda. I was doing the alliance storyline and I'm honestly shocked to see the attitude of several characters. From Grand Lector Enaara wanting to "Purify" prisoners to the LF Draenei during the War Campaign mission "Taking the Blood Gate" wanting to purge the horde from Azeroth.

It seems really out of place though it would give some hints to what went on Draenor after we left. But I always thought that to be an issue with nature consuming the spirit of draenor as told in the chronicle and that the events on Draenor are not what they seem.

It does seem to sell the narrative blizzard wants with the light/void being able to be used for both good and evil.
    Well, the Horde allows mass destruction, the corruption of the world and many other atrocities. And they have genocided their kindred. Them being somewhat angry at the Horde makes sense. Plus, they have fought demons for 25 000 standard years (and probably a lot more if Turalyon and Alleria's time in the Nether is used as a standard of distorded time in there), so they must not have developed much restraints in war.

I'm pretty sure the Turalyon/Alleria ship is the only thing stopping them from just arming the Purge Squad on those heretics. Keep in mind this group previously fanatically followed/worshipped Xe'ra.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

They should have been. Would have at least separated them from normal draenei more than just being yellow. Right now there's just no real purpose to the Lightforged that wasn't already filled with normal draenei.

They should have been fanatical to the point that normal draenei started questioning the Light and some even distancing themselves from it imo. Would have been far more interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Turalyon/Alleria ship is the only thing stopping them from just arming the Purge Squad on those heretics. Keep in mind this group previously fanatically followed/worshipped Xe'ra.
    They didn't exactly kick up a big fuss when Illidan killed her, Turalyon seemed more upset then they did afterward.
    #boycottchina

Anyone having a hard stance against the Horde is bad, so yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    Anyone having a hard stance against the Horde is bad, so yeah.
    One of many rules framed and hanging on the walls in the writing department offices.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sadly, no.

I fucking wish they were tho, would make more sense and give them more personality than "draenei but in white"

Formerly known as Arafal

Not really. They are quite domesticated compared to the Lightbound. And I believe that Turalyon is to blame. Since he was able to positively influence Xe'ra through the Light (as told in audio drama), he could do the same to everyone else in the army. In books Turalyon was always portrayed as an open-minded paladin and a lot less zealous than Uther, Tirion and the rest.