Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
7
8
9
10
11
LastLast
  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    No, this is why people call DH brain dead, these are the PvE rotations using optimal talents.

    ST
    *Meta*
    Immo
    Blade dance
    Eyebeam
    Chaos strike
    Demon Bite

    AoE
    *Meta*
    Eyebeam
    Blade dance
    Immo
    Chaos strike
    Demons bite

    No other class' entire PvE kit consists of changing the priority of one button
    Have you ever seen BM Hunters?

  2. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Have you ever seen BM Hunters?
    BM hunters actually have a spell you only use in AoE situations and a whole extra CD. Nice attempt at deflecting with glib bad faith one-liners though.

    Further, If we both agree that BM is braindead and we can see Havoc is objectively less complex it follows that havoc is ???

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    BM hunters actually have a spell you only use in AoE situations and a whole extra CD. Nice attempt at deflecting with glib bad faith one-liners though.
    Wow, a whole extra CD? Shit, well, I guess that changes everything.

    Plus, that's not a deflection, that's me calling out the meme for what it is, by adding perspective.

    Nobody is implying Demon Hunter gameplay is like brain surgery (and to be fair, no class gameplay is in any way complex, anyone claiming otherwise is coping). People are, however, engaging in hyperbole, claiming that DHs are uniquely simple.

  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Nobody is implying Demon Hunter gameplay is like brain surgery (and to be fair, no class gameplay is in any way complex, anyone claiming otherwise is coping). People are, however, engaging in hyperbole, claiming that DHs are uniquely simple.
    The point of my first post was to show the way the Havoc is uniquely simple at its most basic level in that no matter what situation you are in, you press the same buttons in essentially the same order.
    That's without getting into the shitshow the talent 'choices' are.

    I do agree that the argument that it is objectively bad because it is simple or that it's objectively bad because it's simple and has a history of performing well. Has no merit in of itself, fire mage isn't exactly feral druid tier and taste is subjective after all.


    For the record, it was a single aoe ability and a whole extra CD.

  5. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    No, this is why people call DH brain dead, these are the PvE rotations using optimal talents.

    ST
    *Meta*
    Immo
    Blade dance
    Eyebeam
    Chaos strike
    Demon Bite

    AoE
    *Meta*
    Eyebeam
    Blade dance
    Immo
    Chaos strike
    Demons bite

    No other class' entire PvE kit consists of changing the priority of one button
    Imagine opening with meta and using blade dance pre EB, like i said, hardstuck heroic raiders, keep it up.

  6. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    The point of my first post was to show the way the Havoc is uniquely simple at its most basic level in that no matter what situation you are in, you press the same buttons in essentially the same order.
    That's without getting into the shitshow the talent 'choices' are.

    I do agree that the argument that it is objectively bad because it is simple or that it's objectively bad because it's simple and has a history of performing well. Has no merit in of itself, fire mage isn't exactly feral druid tier and taste is subjective after all.


    For the record, it was a single aoe ability and a whole extra CD.
    I wouldn't say your argument really establishes its unique simplicity at all.

    The thing is that for all the bellyaching about DHs, my point of comparison, that being the BM Hunter, is ranged. It has a pet to send in and it can just avoid many of the dangers that a melee user (like a Havoc DH) has to avoid or use a CD to defend from.

    I don't think an extra CD really mitigates that.

    Again, if you want to argue that DHs are simple, that's fine by me. But the "they are the only braindead class and they excel at anything without trying," notion is some tired, hysterical class recency bias in action. They aren't the best at everything without trying, they are adequate to good at everything without trying. A jack of all trades. But in individual activities, there are classes that surpass them.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbro View Post
    Imagine opening with meta and using blade dance pre EB
    That too tbh.

  7. #167
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbro View Post
    Imagine opening with meta and using blade dance pre EB, like i said, hardstuck heroic raiders, keep it up.
    That was meant to be a vague priority list to highlight a design quirk with Havoc's baseline kit that leads people to believe it's 'brain dead', not an in-depth rotation accounting for azerite traits. The keen-eyed (and less booty-blasted) observer will note I also omitted essences and potions for reasons obvious on their face.

    Edit; I also only included meta at all to head off people saying "but what about meta" which is why it's in asterisks.
    Last edited by Saltysquidoon; 2020-07-04 at 01:53 PM.

  8. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    But in individual activities, there are classes that surpass them.
    We are kings on M shadhar thanks to IS padding, clearly DHs are the best /s

  9. #169
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbro View Post
    We are kings on M shadhar thanks to IS padding, clearly DHs are the best /s
    It seems like a lot of "Grr Demon Hunters are the new kids on the block and yet they dare to be viable while my class is in the gutter in my own professional opinion. Such gall. Bah humbug."

  10. #170
    People calling DH simple but using weakauras and stuff on their other classes that tells them which button to press or remove most complexity of their classes ANYWAY.
    The absurdity of this is immense.

  11. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    But the "they are the only braindead class and they excel at anything without trying," notion is some tired, hysterical class recency bias in action. They aren't the best at everything without trying, they are adequate to good at everything without trying. A jack of all trades. But in individual activities, there are classes that surpass them.
    I think it's a confluence of factors both 'sides' are choosing to ignore.
    • There is recency bias
    • There is the 'hero class' meme (which is dumb because DKs were op for like three patches max in wrath then they got their legs cut off and now they're firmly on the class carousel).
    • There is people ignoring shit like BM hunters and Frost DKs
    • There is the fact the Havoc is uniquely simple
    • There is that factored against how long Havoc has existed it's been stronger than average across most content whereas most specs don't get such ubiquitous representation
    I mean you can see where the perception comes from on either perspective.

  12. #172
    The Lightbringer Minikin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    I wouldn't say your argument really establishes its unique simplicity at all.

    The thing is that for all the bellyaching about DHs, my point of comparison, that being the BM Hunter, is ranged. It has a pet to send in and it can just avoid many of the dangers that a melee user (like a Havoc DH) has to avoid or use a CD to defend from.

    I don't think an extra CD really mitigates that.

    Again, if you want to argue that DHs are simple, that's fine by me. But the "they are the only braindead class and they excel at anything without trying," notion is some tired, hysterical class recency bias in action. They aren't the best at everything without trying, they are adequate to good at everything without trying. A jack of all trades. But in individual activities, there are classes that surpass them.

    - - - Updated - - -


    That too tbh.
    i can agree with that. they have a sick toolset that makes them work really well. coming from a balance druid they feel damn OP but compared to other classes they dont seem that far out there.

    glide though....is amazingly impressive XD
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

  13. #173
    I love playing my DH, Im quite happy with the rotation, I hate playing complex rotations where you need to be a classical pianist and be all over the keyboard.

  14. #174
    Havoc isn't the most broken class right now and they are very high variance to even get to those insane numbers. Stuff like arms warrior, fire mage, and BM hunter are far more broken from a damage perspective.

    What is an issue with havoc though atm is that their toolkit is pretty insane with so few buttons they have. They have a purge, an AoE stun, a powerful defensive on a short cd, a raid cd, a very powerful raid debuff, an interrupt that actually gives them resources, and self healing that is entirely passive. And I didn't even include some of the talents that give them even more utility, or the blade dance dodge that can sometimes come in very handy in dungeons.

    Now blizz has toned back some of this and rightfully so in SL, mainly with their self healing and the blade dance dodge. What could be a problem though is that havoc is basically just brought for chaos brand, which wouldn't be good imo. They seem to want to push a momentum playstyle and shift away from demonic... but We'll see. Havoc could become a spec that was good to sometimes great at everything in BFA, to just average or sub-par in SL with just their powerful raid debuff.

  15. #175
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlikemyrage View Post
    There is, however, something wrong when the easiest spec in the game (which is already easy in general) is also a top choice for all levels on end game content.

    Also, ezmode classes breed false heroes. People who spend time with an overtuned class think they are suddenly top performers. Reality slaps hard when the brain dead class gets nerfed into line.

    You only need to look at how bad of a player your average DH tends to be to see this in action. It happens, without fault, every time a class remains unbalanced to this degree. It attracts wannabes and try hards, while also creating a mentality among players that this is acceptable. Once nerfing/proper tuning does finally happen, the solution is to QQ about it because there’s no longer an overtuned brain dead class to prop up poor play.

    Anyone arguing that DH is fine and not imba at current is being intentionally obtuse. Or just willfully ignorant of facts. It’s not “feelycraft” even, as some have implied. DHs are objectively overtuned.

    I, for one, can’t wait. It’s going to be as glorious as watching all the bad DK players have to face reality. Won’t miss it at all.
    You are completely missing the point with your envy. Wow is a team sport and it is in the best interest for the team to help elevate bads. In an environment where you are actually good, the braindeadness of a spec is irrelevant as everyone is good. When you find yourself complaining about these braindead specs you are a bad and you should actually be thankful for these specs because you need the carry.

    Good players don't care. It's the team that matters. Bad players get salty on the forums and wish harm to others. Stop being bad, it's toxic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

  16. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    Now blizz has toned back some of this and rightfully so in SL, mainly with their self healing and the blade dance dodge. What could be a problem though is that havoc is basically just brought for chaos brand, which wouldn't be good imo. They seem to want to push a momentum playstyle and shift away from demonic... but We'll see. Havoc could become a spec that was good to sometimes great at everything in BFA, to just average or sub-par in SL with just their powerful raid debuff.
    Here's an idea. Make demonic baseline, fire nemesis into the sun and come up with two new interactive 'capstone' talents that actually work.

    I think conceptually without demonic Havoc is just a mess with nothing going on but basic-bitch builder/spender. I mean I want to meet the galaxy brain that saw the most basic spec in the game that meta was so integral too they killed demo for a year and then locked meta behind a massive CD.

  17. #177
    DH is considered a braindead class because you can perform in the top 30% of the dps meters pretty much no matter how terrible you are at the class. green parsing players love to roll DHs

  18. #178
    DH is a braindead class.

    Then again, no spec in this game has any real.level of complexity to it, so...

  19. #179
    The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    21,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    Or maybe after playing a balance druid for so long, playing a havoc dh literally feels like i upgraded from a 4 cylinder car to a v8 biturbo lol, so a case of rose tinted glasses?
    I've played a druid for most of WoW and switched because of how awful feral was and I didn't feel like being a caster. That being said, I think your last statement here is one to focus on. I'm objectively *not* a Demon Hunter. I've main tanked and melee dpsd on Warrior and Druid in the competitive raid environment pretty much all of WoW. I played a DK in Pandaria as I took a break from raiding. I planned to play feral this xpac, but quickly on level cap realized this was trash tier. Switched to warrior because Arms was killing it in Uldir. At mythic Mekka prog in DA I stepped in to tank on a monk, because lol monks gg. Went DH at Jaina prog and have been a DH since then.

    That's a very long story to say, I've been around the block and think my opinion is fairly unbiased. These are my takeaways:

    1) I'll start with the one to trigger everyone -- DH is the most balanced class in the game.

    They are easy to pickup and do moderate damage with gear (will look super strong early in tiers before anyone else has gear b/c they scale well and don't grow in leaps)
    They are difficult to master, despite most people thinking otherwise. You basically have to excel at all the 'other' stuff that isn't present on a tooltip or your action bar. Resource pooling, controlled movement (since movement is damage, resource restore, and avoiding death), simulation/theorycrafting or the ability to understand results from better people, research, etc. This is why I will do at minimum 25% more damage than an equally geared DH who says it's a faceroll class. And this is while they tunnel bosses and ignore mechanics.

    They have utility in a very specific area, movement. It looks like it's an all consuming toolkit because this xpac featured several prominent (end boss) fights where DH's either were semi mandatory like ghuun or just smooth like jaina.

    2) So with all that being said, the reason why people overestimate the entire kit is that they just *FEEL* fun to play.
    They don't have excessive mobility, but they constantly provide the dopamine response which makes it feel like the are flying bat demons. In terms of class design, they are likely the most enjoyable class to play. People aren't self-aware enough to realize, but that's typically the only factor they are ever talking about. Something you enjoy is much easier to do well at than something that feels clunky, you don't like, or even hate. Even worse, it's easier to *think* you are doing amazing when you are pretty average when you're having a blast.

    3) More people playing DH at lower level raid difficulties outperforming their mates when all of them have the same level of skill.
    Some classes are harder to be 'best' at, so this is definitely true. DH is a low floor, high ceiling class.

    4) Everything you don't play seems better than what you do.
    I know I touched on this already, but really the grass is always greener. I've played everything at level cap in at least Heroic raids this xpac and everything except DH feels OP as fuck. Mages? Spam one button, run around like a banshee even though you should have to stand still to cast, stack one corruption, do 3x the dps as anyone else. Warlock? One shot raid bosses while having more effective health than tanks. Hunters? Jesus don't get me started....BM is now likely the new DH in terms of easy to enter. I don't know that there's really a high ceiling, but probably since I don't main it.

    5) If you are good at dps, you are likely good at all dps
    .
    If you are bad at dps, you might luck into a couple of specs clicking more for you. I always parse off the charts for ilvl when I'm bringing up an alt to gear. So high compared to people with 50 more ilvls of the same class that my brain can't imagine what you would do to be so bad. I don't judge them, because that's dumb, but it's clear that my play is at another level than the regular people spamming LFR/Norm/Heroic Pugs.

    TL,DR: DH goes swoosh, swoosh, LASER BEAMS pewpew and injects the dopamine into your brain until it breaks and you think you are a god. Similar to using PCP and jumping off a bridge.
    BAD WOLF

  20. #180
    momentum was horrible, and demon blades is terrible dps. im not sure where youre getting this superior passive talent from.


    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Demon blades is a terrible talent. The devs should have handled the problem with spamming generators the same way as Rockbiter on Enhance shamans; give Demon's Bite baseline two charges with a cooldown and increased resource generation, then think up a new talent for that tier that might be fun to play.
    vengeance demon hunters actually already have that. its fracture. 2 charges with a 4.5 base cd. replaces shear. i wouldnt mind havoc having something similar.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •