View Poll Results: Was there really a lack of content in Warlords of Draenor?

Voters
354. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

296 83.62%
  • No

58 16.38%
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    WoD is a bit of an odd duck when it comes to quality. When you look back and look at all the content in a vacuum you could be forgiven for thinking it was amazing. The zones were well realized, the raids great, music fantastic.
    But as has been mentioned before, you really did just have to be there to understand how truly atrocious it really was. I was one of the lucky ones as it was the first expansion i raided from the start with a guild, in addition to just getting started with mount and transmog farming, and even with that i can say that the expansion was hot garbage overall.
    You mostly just sat there in the Garrison waiting for the next raid, maybe you did the grind to get an AH at the trading post, or spent hours finding amusement with Aviana's feather, trying to find hidden areas. But mostly you just sat there.

BfA in comparision has tons of content you could do. You could farm islands, farm Warfronts, do World Quests, grind M+ or kill the multitude of rares that drops mounts. All that in addition to the usual stuff like questing, levelling alts or raiding.
    Thinking that just because BfA has bad systems means it has less content is pretty disingenous, doubly so when you compare it to WoD, where a 10 minute quest of picking flowers from Khadgar was a massive surprise and genuine joy in the gameplay wasteland.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermeoth View Post
    What I liked about WoD was that you could get easily into pvp with your alts and you had close to zero maintance on them.
    It was really easy to catch up on others without spending time on other stuff and you didn't have to spend time grinding ap or running mythics.
    Same.

WoD was one of my favourite expansions because you didn't _have to_ do anything besides raiding.

Then Legion came around and suddenly you had to farm AP, do m+ for gear, farm rep, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    Someone recently made a good point about Warlords of Draenor, that left me thinking:

Was there really a lack of content in Warlords of Draenor?

If I think back, I actually did spend a lot of time on activities outside of raiding:
    - Trying to unlock followers
    - Clearing out your mines and herb farm (and upgrading them)
    - Going out and trying to trap animals for furs and blood
    - Farming reputation with those tiger-people
    - Collecting dingy coins on my rogue to trade for cosmetics and toys

Comparing it to 8.3 right now:
    - Dailies
    - Visions

Post-thread Reply:

WoD had plenty to do, it just had 0 content overall. The launch, feature and initial raid was just a bit of a joke really. The 2nd raid was fun but wasn't a patch, just time gated. Then they promised what ever patch it would be, would be a huge content filled patch. It wasn't, they even highlighted the main feature of the patch was twitter integration and selfie stick. They jumped on the hype bandwagon for selfies and it was a kick in the bollocks to the majority of the player base. Can you honestly say you even have the selfie item let alone use it? I know two people with it and both have never used it. I know one person who spammed twitter with ingame shit for a week then got bored.

The final patch was decent, but it was poorly implemented with the flying. Take people like me for example. I came back just before pathfinder was complete-able and I struggled to catch up with the outdoor content. Once flying was implemented there was 0 point spending time hunting rares as they were dead by the time you got.

Now I really enjoyed garrisons, or atleast the idea behind them. But they had a bucket ton of customization cut and they overhyped the customization options that would be available. Then to make matters worse, garrisons went from essentially being player housing to your own private capital city to generate gold.

Overall, they botched and handled WoD very, very bad.
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    Proof that people didn't do them?
    Given how rare the mounts/ transmog sets are. People did indeed do them, but nowhere near the amount of people that do M+

No it just had lack of Flying which totally turned me off and was what caused me to quit.

Someone recently made a good point about Warlords of Draenor, that left me thinking:

If I think back, I actually did spend a lot of time on activities outside of raiding:
    1. The vast majority of that was done either while levelling or in raids
    2. Garrison mines/herbs took all of 5 minutes (and as a nice side effect decimated gathering professions)
    3. That was fun-ish, if you cared about collecting mounts
    4. So... a mindless mob murdering rep grind is your idea of a great feature?
    5. That was only for rogues, not everyone

WoD was basically raiding, with around 30min a day of dailies and "content" for anyone that didnt raid.

My biggest problem with WoD was that it encouraged "raid or GTFO" gameplay at level cap, and at the time, I couldn't commit to raiding because of my schedule. That left....garrison chores, which got boring very quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    never dick crazy.
    unless they have tentacles and more then 2 eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    Yeah, and I'm the other way around. I can just play more characters to fill the play time I have if there's a low amount of content. There's no solution like that to BfA's worse classes and mandatory repeat grinds.

- - - Updated - - -

Top 3 best specs the game has had. They didn't want you playing it because they were about to delete it in order to give stuff to DH, just like they didn't want you playing Survival because that was getting deleted too.
    deleting demo to give stuff to dh is actually the most retarded mmo-c headcanon of all

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    My biggest problem with WoD was that it encouraged "raid or GTFO" gameplay at level cap, and at the time, I couldn't commit to raiding because of my schedule. That left....garrison chores, which got boring very quickly.
    game was always raid or gtfo, dunno what other wow you were playing

"Several pages of the 'OP is so retarded to compare an entire expac to a single patch.'"

This cynical nature of people combined with a 'smugger-than-thou' attitude is so extremely common on internet boards. It's rather amusing.
    He says smugly in his very own /r/iamverysmart-tier thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Given how rare the mounts/ transmog sets are. People did indeed do them, but nowhere near the amount of people that do M+
    Or maybe it's that those same people have gotten bored with the game in it's current state and quit. As far as i know there's no way to tell how many people have those mounts or participated in the challenge mode dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    Or maybe it's that those same people have gotten bored with the game in it's current state and quit. As far as i know there's no way to tell how many people have those mounts or participated in the challenge mode dungeons.
    Well, if you look how many players own certain mounts, the WoD gronns and MoP phoenix's are very low down, not to mention - challenge mode didn't get it's own esport did it? Videos of challenge mode runs have less views on youtube etc - you're insane if you think more people played challange modes than play mythic plus; if that was the case why would Blizzard replace a more popular and better system with a less popular one?

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Well, if you look how many players own certain mounts, the WoD gronns and MoP phoenix's are very low down, not to mention - challenge mode didn't get it's own esport did it? Videos of challenge mode runs have less views on youtube etc - you're insane if you think more people played challange modes than play mythic plus; if that was the case why would Blizzard replace a more popular and better system with a less popular one?
    How do you know how many people own the mounts and special set appearances? Also of course the mythic + videos have more views, look at how blizzard is trying to make it an esport. Doesn't mean it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    Did you actually read the article that you just googled? No that doesn't do what you think it does and you didn't play the expansion clearly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Oh, really? Looks like it's not me the one who did not play WoD...

I mean, how hard is it to Google "Warlords of Draenor mobile" to verify if there was one or not?
    I don't think you even read the article that you just googled. That is a timer app that WoWhead published. It is the same thing as setting alarms on your phone and you had to manually do so on the app that same way. No, you absolutely could not play the garrison on your phone, that was added in Legion. You have lost all credibility and are making an ass of yourself rofl.
    Last edited by Firefall; 2020-01-21 at 01:02 AM.

The Unstoppable Force FelPlague's Avatar
    Same.

WoD was one of my favourite expansions because you didn't _have to_ do anything besides raiding.

Then Legion came around and suddenly you had to farm AP, do m+ for gear, farm rep, etc.
    wow, what a sad sad person.
    "wod was one of my favorite expansions"
    just such a sad excuse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 123youshowme View Post
    deleting demo to give stuff to dh is actually the most retarded mmo-c headcanon of all

- - - Updated - - -

game was always raid or gtfo, dunno what other wow you were playing
    its not a headcannon, it is literally what they did.
    they made demo unplayable shit so epople wouldnt care when next expansion they gutted it, removing all of its spelsl it has had since tbc and wotlk to give them to demon hunter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    sounds like someone didnt play the expansion.
    the app did let you do anything, it was just a timer so you knew when you had to log on.
    wasnt till legion they made it so you could actually send and do missions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Azerite is absolutely RNG you are right. You have no idea what traits will be on that piece you got from a random source until you roll it. I've literally had a Warfront piece that had the "opposite faction" passive and no passive/proc for my spec but it did for the other 2.

Didn't play WoD as current content as I was on a break from wow, for non-gameplay-related reasons, but as someone who always goes back and does all the old content, I can say that much: it felt like there was almost nothing to do and I managed to 100% all of the old content really quickly there. I know it's different but If I had to do Legion content as old content it would probably take like 10 times longer. In general though, anything pre-Legion was a borefest with barely any world content.

I say no, but wasn't around. What I could tell from my wife is that if you rushed it, like many have done since TBC, you ran out fast, that and the Garrison being so integral to gathering that you didn't feel compelled to leave it. But there were challenge dungeons, raids, rates, treasures, crafting, garrisons/shipyards, pretty much standard fare for endgame as expansions go. But you could complete most if the non raiding stuffs pretty fast.

I think it was more a lack of appealing rewards or reasons to do content, there much in terms of world content and reasons to run dungeons

Quote Originally Posted by Firefall View Post
    I don't think you even read the article that you just googled. That is a timer app that WoWhead published. It is the same thing as setting alarms on your phone and you had to manually do so on the app that same way. No, you absolutely could not play the garrison on your phone, that was added in Legion. You have lost all credibility and are making an ass of yourself rofl.
    Yes, and that is on me. I was on a hurry to post as I had to leave, but still, it's my fault for not reading the article in its entirety. However, I still defend that I remember using a phone app to manage my work orders and table missions in WoD. Although it could just be my mind being so traumatized by how WoD was that it blends a little with Legion.
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2020-01-21 at 01:50 AM.
    I did a Necromancer thing. Check it out! All feedback welcome!
    Update 08/17: I changed how the Bone spec's golem mechanic works, as well as some other minor changes.
    I also did a Bard thing! Questions, comments and ideas, all welcome!
    Update 09/02: Apparently the mods decided to merge my class concept thread with an existing one.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefall View Post
    Did you actually read the article that you just googled? No that doesn't do what you think it does and you didn't play the expansion clearly.
    Idk. All those AoTCs and the Challenge mogs say different, but whatev.

Comparing it to 8.3 right now:
    - Dailies
    - Visions

Post-thread Reply:

This cynical nature of people combined with a 'smugger-than-thou' attitude is so extremely common on internet boards. It's rather amusing.

But no, I admit that the comparison between the two was not fair and perhaps in the spur of the moment being annoyed at the slow ass 8.3 dailies I was a bit too hasty in my sentiments.

The reason why I made this thread was because for a brief moment I had a conversation with someone where I stated: "In WoD there was nothing to do but raiding," to which they answered with: "that's not true, we had to trap animals, got to do achievements for followers, farming the orcs in the pits of Blackrock Foundry, the entire main storyline campaign with Gul'dan, upgrading your mines and herb farm, etc."

And my reaction was a sudden realization that I actually did spend a lot of time outside my garrison. In fact going out to trap elite wolves in Nagrand might've actually been one of my favourite activities. And you know what? Clearing out the mine and herb farm everyday was something I enjoyed too. Even the mission table was something that made me look forward to logging in every day.

Did WoD have a lot of content? No.
    Was I disappointed with how little content it had? Yes. Mostly because you could just feel that corners had been cut. This was not the Blizzard we were used to. (A sentiment I'm getting with 8.3 too).
    Was the content that was there actually more enjoyable than I remember it being? Probably.
    BfA is brimming with content.

The problem is that it is dull.

But comparing WoD and BfA in terms of content is absurd, after you leveled up it was basically raid or die. And Tanaan did not add enough to make it fun.

I can replicate the WoD experience in BfA perfectly, I couldnt do the opposite in WoD.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines