View Poll Results: Was there really a lack of content in Warlords of Draenor?

Voters
354. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

296 83.62%
  • No

58 16.38%
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    lack of content worth doing i suppose, its weird though i do have some friends who say they actually miss WOD in hindsight with all of the out of raid prep they have to do in legion/bfa they kind of liked just logging in raiding once a week then doing their real life shit/other games. But then you have the problem if casual none raiders having nothing to do worth doing, but i think the shadowlands system with torghast will be a more casual friendly progression system for people to engage with and not have it be as forced as azerite farming.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsgrace View Post
    WoD had Challenge Modes, which was the precursor to M+.
    WoD had CMs, but didn't invent them.
    Had pet battles, didn't invent them.
    Had brawl'gar, didn't invent it.
    Had that challenge thing you did solo for your role that I can't recall the name of, didn't invent it.

Let's take WQs. When they appeared in Legion people said "nice". When they readded them in BfA, people said "ah this thing again, when are they going away". So yeah, people don't seem to like one thing for long - they get "tired" of most things in the span of an expansion or less. And WoD didn't bring anything new outside of garrisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    Someone recently made a good point about Warlords of Draenor, that left me thinking:
    Was there really a lack of content in Warlords of Draenor?
    As I recall, this was something that was discussed ad nauseam throughout WoD. It just comes down to a less than ideal wording. Most people who say there was "no content" in WoD, just mean there was less content than usual and/or the content that was available was unappealing/uninteresting/unrewarding.

Because in the end, technically there is always something you "can" do in WoW. There's always some mount or achievement you have yet to acquire. Hell, they could just keep Mythic+ scaling up for years on end without releasing any new expansion or big content patch and technically there would be "content" to do. The thing is there's virtually no one that wants that.

I defended then, and I still do, that WoD's biggest fault was its reward system (doing away with Valor Points and a less than ideal rework of the daily and reputation systems), more than it's lack of content. Because the content it had was just not rewarding in any way after exploring it the first time, which completely killed replayability. Yes you could play with your garrison to make gold/consumables, but ultimately if you raided there was little to nothing you could do outside of raids that could improve your character in any way - which for a lot (if not most) of people is the main driving appeal of an RPG.

With that said, WoD did objectively had a very measurable lack of content. It lasted nearly the typical 2 years, and essentially only had 1 patch that actually added any measure of standard playable content. Yes, there were things "to do", mainly related to your garrison, but that is always the case for WoW. It doesn't invalidate at all there there were less than usual.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2020-01-28 at 12:20 PM.

We will never know, most of it was cut. Remember that huge post on this forum from reddit about the amount of stuff we missed, raids, capital cities, story arcs, dungeons, more customisation options, Faralohn, the ogre islands? WoD had big plans and while cut content is a normal part of game development, it's the amount of cut content that is staggering.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...rds-of-Draenor

Lets not forget what we did get, the least amount of raids and dungeons of any expansion previous and afterwards, a MAJOR content patch which was pretty much highlighted by a selfie cam, a frikkin selfie cam, say what you want about BfA at least it had content, you may not have liked the content but it was still something. And whats better than nothing? ANYTHING!

And don;t even get me started on the horrible ending, I mean BfA is certainly up there as far as endings go. But WoD still has the most insulting of endings.

Not defending BFA, BfA certainly had it;s problems , although I don't think it deserves most of the hate it gets, although this end patch I say have at it. But WoD wasnt near the lack of standards BfA had.
    Last edited by Orby; 2020-01-28 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    and its still more content then wod has.
    I remember clearing Blackrock Foundry on mythic taking a lot longer than 45 minutes and progressing through it taking a lot longer than a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    WoD when Tanaan was fresh was honestly the best for that expansion. Otherwise? I logged in for about an hour a day. Did my mine, filled my one bar for the day, then logged off and played something else.

At least with BFA I could say the pursuit of rep bars led to me logging in for more time per day because I wanted to maximize my world quest haul.

Honestly the biggest flaw in WoD's design was Apexis being the only thing that mattered and the only way you got it was doing the all of 2 daily quests.
    Is that what you want from a game? A reason to login such as "doing a daily activity" or "grind some rep" or similar? I find myself thinking a lot about this. I do daily things in several games for the rewards. Sometimes I have a really fun time but mostly it's just "gotta do it". I'm just curious.

What are we looking for in a game? I don't think being traped by daily/weekly is the way to go but what else is there? It might be like an abusive relationship, it might require an external force to drag you out so that you realize how abusive your reality really was.

In WoD I did:
    - Raiding
    - Tried some challenge modes
    - Some achievement point farming sessions
    - PvP (Ashran!! Loved that one)
    - Garrison activities
    - A few pet battles
    - Rep-farming
    - Questing

In BFA I do:
    - Raiding
    - Mythic+
    - Some achievement point farming sessions
    - PvP
    - World quests
    - A few pet battles
    - Rep-farming
    - Questing

Over all, I feel more forced to play every day in BFA due to AP farming and I don't really like that. I'm okay with only logging on to do things I want to do, like raiding, m+, PvP or something else, not because I feel that I have to.

For me, it's not a big difference between WoD and BFA, only m+ really.
    Well met!

Bloodsail Admiral
    WoD did have lack of stuff to do, but it was well polished and felt rewarding from what I remember (considering I continued playing it). Now though, Blizz seemed to have sacrificed quality for quantity. sure we have more to do with islands, war fronts, WQ etc but it just doesn’t feel rewarding. Feels like a chore, it’s as if it’s only purpose is to increase how long you play (like all of WoW) but with no masking of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    So if you count farming rep with tiger people, why not count farming rep with the Mogu and Tolvir people ?
    Or if you count unlocking followers why not count unlocking Essences or instead of collecting dingy coins, count collecting dubloons for pets and mounts.
    Because that doesn't fit the agenda of his topic, that's why.

There was a lack of meaningful content I think, there was plenty of hollow do it once content though. You cannot really expect much from an expansion where they had roughly 80 people working on it, half of which had to swap in and out of training jobs to get the new hires up to speed. I know as an end user you shouldn't have to care about the developers but that is what happened. Actually every single bad expansion had to do with inner turmoil within the teams or Blizzard Entertainment.
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

- let's get real everyone, classic needs #somechanges get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    WoD had CMs, but didn't invent them.
    Had pet battles, didn't invent them.
    Had brawl'gar, didn't invent it.
    Had that challenge thing you did solo for your role that I can't recall the name of, didn't invent it.

Let's take WQs. When they appeared in Legion people said "nice". When they readded them in BfA, people said "ah this thing again, when are they going away". So yeah, people don't seem to like one thing for long - they get "tired" of most things in the span of an expansion or less. And WoD didn't bring anything new outside of garrisons.
    I was replying to someone who said Legion "invented M+", if i recall, and no WoD didn't invent CM, MoP did.