Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Making a movie is not like making a cinematic.
    They don't have the internal talent or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Savant View Post
    I am not talking about the movies you see in cinemas, I am talking about the cinematic that blizzard creates ones each expansion, or few times during bfa. If the demand is big, blizzard could probably whip up 2 hour long cinematic that could show case Arthas story or any other for that matter.
    Whip up a 2 hour long, you really dont understand how much time and work those actually take to create.

15+ Year Old Account
    You have to understand that a major reason Blizzard can produce such high quality cinematics is that their team is relatively small and their projects are relatively short. What you see is the concentrated effort of a small group of extremely talented individuals.

When you try to expand that out to feature film length, not only does that require a way larger team and take way more time and money, it also risks diluting the quality.

What makes a 5-minute short film work also doesn't necessarily translate to a full length feature.

Not to say they wouldn't be capable -- a lot of these guys are film industry veterans -- it's just a huge risk. It's safer to produce this short form content for games that are inherently more lucrative than film and television.

I mean, think back to Square's Visual Works studio, another industry leader. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was a massive flop and nearly bankrupted Square.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohmmega View Post
    Actual blizzard cinematics aren't made by them anymore, they have outsourced all their cinematics to the The Third Floor studio
    Bullshit, Blizzard's cinematics are all done in-house, by teams in their Story and Franchise Development department.

They used to have a specific Cinematics department, but within the last several years they restructured everything under the umbrella of Story and Franchise Development, which now has dedicated teams for storyboarding, in-game cinematics, CGI cinematics, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tarba View Post
    Making a movie is not like making a cinematic.
    They don't have the internal talent or knowledge.
    A lot of their cinematics artists do actually have film industry experience, especially the senior artists, fwiw.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    That's 270,000 frames.

Pixar calculates that it takes them 29 hours to render a single frame of film.
    So, if we start rendering today, we could be watching the movie as early as the year 2911!

Wait, let me invent cryogenics first.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Savant View Post
    I am not talking about the movies you see in cinemas, I am talking about the cinematic that blizzard creates ones each expansion, or few times during bfa. If the demand is big, blizzard could probably whip up 2 hour long cinematic that could show case Arthas story or any other for that matter.
    That's what all wants? It is Blizzard that don't make it.

If you ask me it would have been better than a live action movie. You can just do so much more than you are able to do in live action without the budget of say Marvel movies that a universe like WoW requires.

All I want is good WoW games from blizzard. No movies, songs, sculptures, cultural events or anything else.