Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Oh...so we're going to open with insults? Do you see? This is why I hesitated to try and explain with any detail. And you just proved me right. Rather than have a reasonable discussion, you decided it would be easier to take an entire several paragraphs to go full ad hominem.

And before you go into some kind of "gotcha" moment about how I refuse to explain myself when challenged, maybe think real hard about not starting your next interaction by implying multiple times that the person you want a response from is crazy.

We're done here. I should have known better than to expect basic civility.
    Yeaaah... no.

They attacked your argument and your assertions. Not you.

That's not ad hominem. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardux View Post
    Yeaaah... no.

They attacked your argument and your assertions. Not you.

That's not ad hominem. Lol.
    • Heavily implying someone is a conspiracy theorist(see: crazy, kook, unreliable, wild claims, etc), not to mention his previous claims of me being arrogant because I didn't share his views.
    • And later in his post suggesting my reasoning is nonsense, despite not providing any evidence of his own, but rather just claiming it's there.
    • Followed by straw man arguing against the idea that I said players were being coerced(which is a twisting of what I actually said: "Psychological manipulation", which is not being forced via threats(which is the definition of coercion).
    • Followed by further misrepresentation of my points by claiming players are helpless(also something I never said).
    • Finished up with the suggestion that I'm some kind of cultist by referencing the "koolaid".

Everything about his post is thinly veiled ad hominem. It's clear he wants to just call me an idiot and be done with it, but had to cover it in just enough veneer to not be immediately infracted. And if that was not his intent, then he VERY badly needs to work on his communication skills.

Either way I'm done here. I'm so sick of this kind of interaction.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2020-01-29 at 12:43 PM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    [LIST]
    Heavily implying someone is a conspiracy theorist(see: crazy, kook, unreliable, wild claims, etc),
    I specifically said "your argument" read like a conspiracy theory. I even went on to explain how and why. At no point did I call you a crazy, kook etc.

not to mention his previous claims of me being arrogant because I didn't share his views.
    False. It had nothing to do with not sharing your views and everything to do with you trying to proclaim yourself as an authority on the subject, which you tried to defend by calling it "being confident". Sorry mate, but you totally opened that door and practically begged me to come in.

And later in his post suggesting my reasoning is nonsense, despite not providing any evidence of his own, but rather just claiming it's there.
    I substantiated everything I said. If you look at the Toulmin method, my argument covers every aspect.

Followed by straw man arguing against the idea that I said players were being coerced(which is a twisting of what I actually said: "Psychological manipulation", which is not being forced via threats(which is the definition of coercion).
    If you have a problem with the word coercion, I am happy to change it. Clearly we have slightly differing understanding of the word. I certainly never implied anything about threats.

Here is a link to a dictionary definition

"the act of persuading or convincing someone to do something using force or other unethical means" (in other words, while coercion often involves threats, it doesn't necessarily)

Also:

"The improper use of economic power to alter, shape, or otherwise control the actions of another"

As I understand it, "manipulating players into acting against their own interest through shady practices" qualifies as coercion. But like I say, if you disagree, you're welcome to substitute with a synonym of your choosing.

Followed by further misrepresentation of my points by claiming players are helpless(also something I never said).
    I never said you claimed players were helpless. I said you were treating them as though they were - on the basis of implied susceptibility to manipulation.

Finished up with the suggestion that I'm some kind of cultist by referencing the "koolaid".
    Seriously? Way to misinterpret. It was just a simple way of refering to people who haven't bought into your way of thinking. Fair enough, I was referencing to the idea of your argument reading like a conspiracy theory, so I apologise if that crossed a line.

Everything about his post is thinly veiled ad hominem. It's clear he wants to just call me an idiot and be done with it, but had to cover it in just enough veneer to not be immediately infracted. And if that was not his intent, then he VERY badly needs to work on his communication skills.
    While I can accept that not everything I write will come across to you as intended (for example, you thinking that I am calling you a cultist), I have at least put in the effort to try and substantiate everything I say. To the extent that, honestly, I don't believe you have valid grounds for taking offense.

As for your assertion that I just want to "call you an idiot", that really isn't fair. As I said in a previous post, " I do enjoy debating with you because you do offer a lot of insights, you're generally willing go into detail, all the while remaining civil in spite of differences of opinion"

My intent here has been entirely to challenge you to defend your opinion with a proper argument and I gave you a fair chance to present your argument. My objective has never been to ridicule you, but rather to get us to a point where at least we both understand the other's PoV, with one of three possible outcomes:
    1) You see the flaw in your opinion
    2) You show me the flaw in my argument
    3) We can agree to disagree (while at least understanding and respecting where each of us is coming from)

Honestly, I would not have bothered writing as much as I did if I just thought you were an idiot and I am somewhat disappointed that you've chosen to essentially sulk rather than engage on the points I challenged you on.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2020-01-29 at 02:07 PM.

Despite the sarcasm, for some players that's true. But a wide variety of people play the game for a wide variety of reasons. And even top raiders like to tote their exclusive top tier gear over scrubs.

And that's not even considering how game companies can't be trusted to not manipulate droprates to promote purchasing boxes.

If you needed a reason why I gripe about something as "insignificant" as a cash shop mount, there it is.
    I get you entirely. When the Celestial Steed came out, I was defending it-- it was not a big deal. Just one mount, they wouldn't add a bunch more in a short period of time, and the mounts we got in game were still great, while the Celestial Steed was just a lesser Invincible reskin.

Kinda played myself there, in hindsight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    No offense, but your argument here is basically at the level of a conspiracy theory. Which means that there is no way to convince you, or disprove what you say, as your argument basically depends on taking the benefit of the doubt. So while you've gone to great lengths in your previous post to explain your mode of thinking, your entire argument still rests on a few unsubstantiated assertions
    m8 they're not hypothetical, they're right there in that thread

unless you think they're bots

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    m8 they're not hypothetical, they're right there in that thread

unless you think they're bots
    I wasn't talking about the people in that thread. I was talking about the hypothetical people referred to in this thread. ie those who are supposedly helpless to resist the urge to buy a six month subscription just for a mount, and who don't realise that they'll be unsubbed in 2 months because nocontent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    I get you entirely. When the Celestial Steed came out, I was defending it-- it was not a big deal. Just one mount, they wouldn't add a bunch more in a short period of time, and the mounts we got in game were still great, while the Celestial Steed was just a lesser Invincible reskin.

Kinda played myself there, in hindsight.
    Funny thing that: When the Celestial Steed came out I was very skeptical of where it would lead. It was only after having a chance to see how it actually affected the game, and had time to reflect on the real implications that I realised it was probably actually a good thing for the game.