Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Who unthawed the Bolvar the Lich King?

Now that 8.3 is out and we have been able to experience the Allied Races DK starting zone, during those events you notice that the Lich King is still encased in ice on the frozen throne. While browsing YouTube, I rewatched the Shadowlands Cinematic and noticed he was free from the ice and was waiting for her to appear.

I wasn't sure if this has been explained anywhere, but I wonder who ended up releasing him. Did he keep himself frozen and released himself when he started to expect Sylvanas to make her move, or did someone have to release him? I also wonder if we will be able to experience any of this in game, or will pre-patch just start with the undead attacking and we find Bolvar dethroned towards the end?

Would be a great quest for a DK character. Maybe head to Northrend, help Bolvar unfreeze, and maybe even be part of the group of undead that try to stop Sylvanas in the cinematic (she steps in, cinematic plays, etc). Then when it's over you talk to Bolvar with the broken sky above you and he tells you to get to your faction leader as soon as you can to tell them about the undead being uncontrolled.

He probably figured she would make her move and hit the defrost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    He probably figured she would make her move and hit the defrost.
    This thread is clearly based in the mid-west, it's unthaw not defrost, ope sorry buddy.

OT: He probably did it himself.

He was thawed during Legion DK campaign. I guess they forgot about it for AR cutscene.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

off topic but all i can think of is the Carboot legion cartoon when Illdian met bolvar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqeKgcYz7FY

Arthas unthawed himself before, I imagine the Lich King can do it whenever they're ready to go out and do stuff, Bolvar just chose to stay thawed until he had no choice but to fight Sylvanas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    He was thawed during Legion DK campaign. I guess they forgot about it for AR cutscene.
    I'm assuming you meant to say he was unthawed during Legion DK campaign, which is completely incorrect. The only time you see him in Legion without the block of ice around him was when he appeared as a projection on top of Acherus, and an image obviously wouldn't be encased in ice. He's been in ice every time we went to visit him in Legion and BFA for the Vol'jin quests, so nothing was forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    This thread is clearly based in the mid-west, it's unthaw not defrost
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    Arthas unthawed himself before.
    Is that really a thing in the US? You 'thaw' something, which warms it up, removing/melting the ice. If you 'unthaw' something, you're freezing it again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    Is that really a thing in the US? You 'thaw' something, which warms it up, removing/melting the ice. If you 'unthaw' something, you're freezing it again.
    It's an American mid-west thing, yes. That's why I also added the "Ope sorry buddy", I live in the mid-west, we're typically ultra polite, and I have no idea where ope came from but we all say it.

Unthaw is a particularly uhhh, heavy, I guess, mid-west accent type thing. I don't personally say it, but I've heard it used a lot.

You could ask the same question about Arthas. After putting on the crown at the end of Frozne Throne he also froze. Maybe this is just how Lich Kings chill out.

7+ Year Old Account
    Arthas unthawed himself before, I imagine the Lich King can do it whenever they're ready to go out and do stuff, Bolvar just chose to stay thawed until he had no choice but to fight Sylvanas.

I'm assuming you meant to say he was unthawed during Legion DK campaign
    ????
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/de/.../englisch/thaw

To thaw means to melt.

Formerly known as Arafal

:P Unthawed is noted in the dictionary as a nonstandard synonym for Thawed. :P Kinda like irregardless is as a lot of people think it means the same as regardless, even though it should be the opposite.

And yes, I am smack dab in the middle of the US! So no debates on Soda, Pop, or Coke!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm assuming you meant to say he was unthawed during Legion DK campaign, which is completely incorrect. The only time you see him in Legion without the block of ice around him was when he appeared as a projection on top of Acherus, and an image obviously wouldn't be encased in ice. He's been in ice every time we went to visit him in Legion and BFA for the Vol'jin quests, so nothing was forgotten.
    You know the process of thawing is the melting of ice right? Unthawing would be freezing

Quote Originally Posted by lukeangel View Post
    So no debates on Soda, Pop, or Coke!
    So what are your opinions on Soda-Pop Coke?

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    New English vocab memorized. Thanks MMOC.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampyr78 View Post
    You could ask the same question about Arthas. After putting on the crown at the end of Frozne Throne he also froze. Maybe this is just how Lich Kings chill out.
    Suppose that makes them Chill Kings.

3+ Year Old Account
    This thread is clearly based in the mid-west, it's unthaw not defrost, ope sorry buddy.

Unthawed = frozen

Edit: Should have read further

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    It's not. They've simply mistaken the terminology

10+ Year Old Account

Thaw means to become liquid or soft due to warming...so to unthaw would be to freeze again

Ugh. It's like how half of the US says

"I could care less" when they want to show disinterest.

You can care less? Then by all means, please do...

Climate change

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    Ugh. It's like how half of the US says

"I could care less" when they want to show disinterest.

You can care less? Then by all means, please do...
    That one evolved to the point where both versions mean the same thing, and sensible arguments can be made for both.

Unthaw is a bit harder to justify, especially since thawing is technically not a reversible process. Unthawed makes sense, but that just means "still frozen".