Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    No one has to thaw him.

He's not stuck in the ice.

He did the same thing Arthas did when he first acquired the power - encased himself on the Frozen Throne to consolidate his power.

Doesn't mean he's stuck there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Thaw means to become liquid or soft due to warming...so to unthaw would be to freeze again
    I'm aware, I don't say it personally, but it's a thing around here.

Quote Originally Posted by lukeangel View Post
    Now that 8.3 is out and we have been able to experience the Allied Races DK starting zone, during those events you notice that the Lich King is still encased in ice on the frozen throne. While browsing YouTube, I rewatched the Shadowlands Cinematic and noticed he was free from the ice and was waiting for her to appear.

I wasn't sure if this has been explained anywhere, but I wonder who ended up releasing him. Did he keep himself frozen and released himself when he started to expect Sylvanas to make her move, or did someone have to release him? I also wonder if we will be able to experience any of this in game, or will pre-patch just start with the undead attacking and we find Bolvar dethroned towards the end?

Would be a great quest for a DK character. Maybe head to Northrend, help Bolvar unfreeze, and maybe even be part of the group of undead that try to stop Sylvanas in the cinematic (she steps in, cinematic plays, etc). Then when it's over you talk to Bolvar with the broken sky above you and he tells you to get to your faction leader as soon as you can to tell them about the undead being uncontrolled.
    I just figured the lich King was just powerful enough to break the ice himself. But when he's sitting there for days on end the weather probably makes him a pile of ice again.

He probably put himself in microwave and process to "Defrost" himself when he knew she was coming. That way he can cover up himself acting like he's not that weak to break out the ice.

He heard Blizzard is making a cinematic for a new xpac and thought it'd cool to play a part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

More importantly, why is a Lich King no longer necessary? If Tirion and Bolvar had just destroyed the Helm of Domination at the end of Icecrown Citadel, would the way to Shadowlands have opened?

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    That one evolved to the point where both versions mean the same thing, and sensible arguments can be made for both.

Unthaw is a bit harder to justify, especially since thawing is technically not a reversible process. Unthawed makes sense, but that just means "still frozen".
    There's not really a sensible argument for "I could care less" either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    Is that really a thing in the US? You 'thaw' something, which warms it up, removing/melting the ice. If you 'unthaw' something, you're freezing it again.
    I currently live in the American mid-west and never said "unthaw" myself nor have I heard anyone else say it. That being said, there are idiots everywhere, so it's certainly possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    It's an American mid-west thing, yes. That's why I also added the "Ope sorry buddy", I live in the mid-west, we're typically ultra polite, and I have no idea where ope came from but we all say it.

Unthaw is a particularly uhhh, heavy, I guess, mid-west accent type thing. I don't personally say it, but I've heard it used a lot.
    That's kinda interesting,As many times as I've been out to the midwest, I've never heard or never paid attention to them saying it that way. On a side note, I never hear the term defrost other than in reference to a windshield of use of a microwave.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    That's kinda interesting,As many times as I've been out to the midwest, I've never heard or never paid attention to them saying it that way. On a side note, I never hear the term defrost other than in reference to a windshield of use of a microwave.
    Well, to be fair, there are few situations where you use the word, and since it's basically slang at this point meaning defrost it's more or less the same for me, the only time I hear people say it is in cars during winter. And again, it's not everyone, but it's a real thing. Language is a funny thing.

There's actually a comedian that does a lot of mid-west based comedy stuff, Charlie Berens, he's on youtube. Look up Mid-West driving school if you want, he makes a joke about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought Arthas went into hibernation to fight Ner'Zhul and came out when the battle was over?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

i think that when he is encased in ice he has acces to different lich king abilities, like may be spying on the world or something like that or may be it allows him to connect with shadowlands, or even recharging powers. who knows?

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    maybe Thawim unthawed (or thawed) Bolvar the Lich King?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    More importantly, why is a Lich King no longer necessary? If Tirion and Bolvar had just destroyed the Helm of Domination at the end of Icecrown Citadel, would the way to Shadowlands have opened?
    According to early news we will see the scourge start attacking the living after the helm is destroyed so that plot point has not been forgotten.

Since Arthas broke the prison of Ner'zhul the ice seems to have worked as a form of hibernation capsule. Arthas froze himself and thawed himself when he was finished cleaning house in his head.

Bolvar also froze himself at the end of the Lich King cinematic so he can likely thaw himself whenever he pleases, it is no longer the prison it was in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    He was thawed during Legion DK campaign. I guess they forgot about it for AR cutscene.
    It's defrost and also if you're looking for a cold sugary beverage ie. Coke, Dr. Pepper...that's a pop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Being in the frozen cask seems to be a kind of developmental state - temporary, and only there while the Helm of Domination and its wearer go through the mental process of integrating with the Helm's apparent consciousness and connects the wearer to the hive-mind of the Scourge. Once this is complete the icy cocoon breaks and the new Lich King is fully joined with the Helm and thus the Scourge, and is the recipient of the power it grants. Like Arthas before him, Bolvar freed himself after a time.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    It's an American mid-west thing, yes. That's why I also added the "Ope sorry buddy", I live in the mid-west, we're typically ultra polite, and I have no idea where ope came from but we all say it.

Unthaw is a particularly uhhh, heavy, I guess, mid-west accent type thing. I don't personally say it, but I've heard it used a lot.
    I've personally never heard that as a Wisconsin boy, but it sounds like something people would say.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronRivendare View Post
    It's defrost and also if you're looking for a cold sugary beverage ie. Coke, Dr. Pepper...that's a pop.
    I'm from Ireland, but have lived the major part of my growing years in the Pacific NW. Here it's Coke is Coke only. Not Pepsi, not Fanta or anything else. Just Coke. Different varieties are referred to by their specific name (IE Coke, Sprite, Dr. Pepper). Collectively though, "soda" is anything carbonated like soda water, seltzer and includes carbonated sugary drinks (like Coke or Sprite). BUT... pop refers specifically to the sugary variety and not soda water or seltzer/tonic waters.

So, basically (at least in this area) All pop is soda, but not all soda is pop. Kind of like a Khakis/Chinos thing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    Climate change
    Does Greta know?