Page 1 of 31
... LastLast

Thumbs down Why flying being gated behind rep grind makes no sense

The hardcore no-lifed it in a record time anyway, so gating didn't stop them from zooming through it. The losers are the casuals who support this game, yet they get treated with repetitive boring chores every day leaving them no time to really enjoy the game. It makes absolutely no sense.

I quit several times and even when I reactivated, I played once, or twice max per week, no longer than 1 hour a day and couldn't stand looking at the same zone anymore.

Who thought of this anyway? What's wrong with simply just not giving flying to anyone until a certain time has passed rather than make people hate your own game. This is beyond ridiculous.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by letsdothat View Post
    Who thought of this anyway? What's wrong with simply just not giving flying to anyone until a certain time has passed rather than make people hate your own game. This is beyond ridiculous.
    Because the Blizzard Devs have got this notion into their heads that flying is a cancer to the game and that really, even if think we want flying, we'll enjoy the game more if we don't get flying. Sadly a loud vocal minority agreed with them which simply validated their delusion.

I guess we should be thankful we even get flying at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Because the Blizzard Devs have got this notion into their heads that flying is a cancer to the game and that really, even if think we want flying, we'll enjoy the game more if we don't get flying. Sadly a loud vocal minority agreed with them which simply validated their delusion.

I enjoy the game more having flying. Mostly if i can use my dragons (as i love them). But devs just want us to use ground mounts to appreciate their design.

Pretty much this.

Blizzard decided that flying was bad, so they tried to get rid of it. However, it was clear they couldn't just get rid of it, so they decided to make it very hard to get so you'll stay subbed and that you had to "prove" you played the expansion in order to earn the privilege of flying.

The hardcore no-lifed it in a record time anyway, so gating didn't stop them from zooming through it. The losers are the casuals who support this game, yet they get treated with repetitive boring chores every day leaving them no time to really enjoy the game. It makes absolutely no sense.

I quit several times and even when I reactivated, I played once, or twice max per week, no longer than 1 hour a day and couldn't stand looking at the same zone anymore.

sounds like you're a crybaby lol i raid and do mythics and i have no issues with pathfinder

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by marcusblood View Post
    Pretty much this.

Blizzard decided that flying was bad, so they tried to get rid of it. However, it was clear they couldn't just get rid of it, so they decided to make it very hard to get so you'll stay subbed and that you had to "prove" you played the expansion in order to earn the privilege of flying.
    hard? lmfao no its not hard to get

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Sadly this "I want all stuff from content I don't want to play" is common attitude. I saw it even on one of last Preach video.

But I noticed that over years WoW devs got little more immune from crying on forums. If they think some design is working, they stick to it.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodykiller86 View Post
    sounds like you're a crybaby lol i raid and do mythics and i have no issues with pathfinder

- - - Updated - - -

hard? lmfao no its not hard to get

OK, Mr. 1% of the playerbase. I am not worried about you not being able to no-life this content. Obviously, you love this BS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    You are not everyone, fortunately.
    Dev in disguise detected.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakana View Post
    I enjoy the game more having flying. Mostly if i can use my dragons (as i love them). But devs just want us to use ground mounts to appreciate their design.
    Oh I totally get why Blizzard want us to stay ground bound. And while I agree with parts of their argument, I recognise that they have a critical flaw in their understanding of the role that flying plays in the player experience.

Yes, one of the things that makes WoW so awesome is the sense of discovery and exploration while being immersed in their world. Flying absolutely breaks that. So in order to try and preserve that awesome sense of discovery and exploration and immersion, they want to keep flying out of the game.

What they don't get though is that the sense of exploration and discovery are transitory (with or without flying), and as a result, immersion stops adding to the game experience and instead starts to detract from it.

In short, exploring new content by land adds to the experience. But once you're familiar with the content, being constrained to ground travel becomes tedious. Blizzard's desire to withhold flying for as long as possible stems from their mistaken belief that players will enjoy the game more by figuring out what experiences we enjoyed the most and then making sure that we repeat that experience without changing anything. What they critically fail to take into account is how the stuff we experience today affects our future experiences.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2019-10-07 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marcusblood View Post
    Pretty much this.

So make it require honored. Revered is basically making casual players, i.e. the majority, hate their own game. I mean anyone with a brain knows that repetitive tasks that take a while to complete eventually would make anyone tired and burned out. This is true for anything in life, even the most beautiful girl walking naked in front of you every day for a month eventually stops turning you on.

Do the devs have a say in anything or are they really just slaves to the shareholders who need to be told new strategies of retaining players? Nothing is more ridiculous than this in the history of all gaming. No other grinding in any other game is as ridiculous as this. Great logic, instead of enabling player enjoyment of the game, they take it away. Genius.

OK, Mr. 1% of the playerbase. I am not worried about you not being able to no-life this content. Obviously, you love this BS.

- - - Updated - - -

Dev in disguise detected.
    im def not 1% of the playerbase, im pretty damn casual honestly and it took me like 3-4 weeks to get flying as i wasnt playing every day. i just dont like things like that ruin the game for me. i dont mind doing dailies or WQs they dont bother me at all

It makes perfect sense. "Casuals" pay for this game, and it's in Blizzard's best interests that they play and pay more. So... yeah?
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Becuase you are meant to earn it. Pathfinder is okay, have people get the basics of the expansion but not in multiple parts. Making things take a little more than just pay gold over also means chance of more money on the business side of it all.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2019-10-07 at 02:15 PM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    It never has made sense. It was a hastily applied Band-Aid in response to player backlash over the "there will never be flying in future expansions ever again" announcement that was made in WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Well, shoot me...here I thought everyone needed to hop through the same hoops - but you make it sound like there is a different path for "hardcore" and "casuals"

Like it or not...you had a lot of time to even casually explore the world, do the required quests before part 2 came along...and yeah...there was a guy here who claimed he got flying 4 days after Mechagon / Nazjatar was out. Others here said it took them around 10 days. I think I got it after 14-17 days, definitely in under 3 weeks.

If you cry about it at this time...Jesus...opening 6 chests or killing 3 rares and hitting 4 WQs is really ruining it for you?

I am seriously not sure what it is in the game that you want to "enjoy", because what you call " repetitive boring chores every day" is what others have labelled everything in the game at max level ^^

Heck, by this logic...what is wrong with handing EVERYTHING to everyone after a certain time has passed.
    Desperate to prove you are right and others are wrong despite the majority of replies agreeing with the original post. Comparing apples with oranges is your "logic".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    It makes perfect sense. "Casuals" pay for this game, and it's in Blizzard's best interests that they play and pay more. So... yeah?
    You don't get it. Do you? Casuals don't have much play time to begin with, by making them login to do a list of chores, you make them run away from the game instad of staying and paying....incredible how difficult it is for some people to understand basic ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I totally get why Blizzard want us to stay ground bound. And while I agree with parts of their argument, I recognise that they have a critical flaw in their understanding of the role that flying plays in the player experience.

Yes, one of the things that makes WoW so awesome is the sense of discovery and exploration while being immersed in their world. Flying absolutely breaks that. So in order to try and preserve that awesome sense of discovery and exploration and immersion, they want to keep flying out of the game.

What they don't get though is that the sense of exploration and discovery are transitory (with or without flying), and as a result, immersion stops adding to the game experience and instead starts to detract from it.

In short, exploring new content by land adds to the experience. But once you're familiar with the content, being constrained to ground travel becomes tedious. Blizzard's desire to withhold flying for as long as possible stems from their mistaken belief that players will enjoy the game more by figuring out what experiences we enjoyed the most and then making sure that we repeat that experience without changing anything. What they critically fail to take into account is how the stuff we experience today affects our future experiences.
    VERY well said.

At this point, I'd be ok if they just remove flying altogether, I don't even put myself through the grind of getting it anymore. I only did Part 1 because most of it was required for allied races anyway.

This puts my thoughts in better wording than I would have found. Perfectly said. To the extreme, I'd be willing to accept the rep gate (nonsensical as it becomes by the time that you're honored), but having to wait 6months for flying is way past the point of "exploration", and I do not agree that there are any highly interesting exploration mechanics either; back in WoD, we had a lot of jumping puzzles which were kind of fun to do once, but now litterally all there is that flying "skips over" is a metric shit ton of mountains getting in our way, and some zones clustered with mobs that don't truly require any strategy anyway, just judging whether you can run through them or you should make a few stops to kill them.

All you have to do in order to unlock flying is to play the game as intended, do all quests in the zones, and 1-3 hours of playtime per day doing WQs for 2-3 weeks.. And the shortest/cheapest sub time for the game is 30 days, plenty of time to get it.

Of all the things to whine about the game, this should not be one of them...

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do the devs have a say in anything or are they really just slaves to the shareholders who need to be told new strategies of retaining players? Nothing is more ridiculous than this in the history of all gaming. No other grinding in any other game is as ridiculous as this. Great logic, instead of enabling player enjoyment of the game, they take it away. Genius.
    Sorry, but I don't buy into the conspiracy theory that pathfinder is just a way for Blizzard to force us to subscribe for longer.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Blizzard doesn't actively make design desicions based on what will likely maximise their profits. What I am saying is that forcing people into doing banal shit over and over and over is not a very effective strategy for achieving that.

I honestly think that their philosophy was that by forcing us to experience the new zones from the ground for a protracted period of gameplay would make for a positive gaming experience. And, as I said in my previous posts, I don't think they're entirely wrong. It was quite engaging to explore and discover the new zones from the ground. But I would also agree that the novelty wore off long before I'd done enough to get to revered.

Nazjatar involved opening up a bunch of content through a bunch of short quest chains. I would argue that once we'd done all that, it should have sufficed for flying without the rep grind. I think one of the biggest problems with adding the Naz/Mechagon rep grinds was that they were what ended up being the final gate to the achievement, thus compelling players to grind them as hard as possible instead of allowing time to actually just enjoy the zones. I honestly don't see the value they got out of a bunch of no-lifers grinding those zones for 4-5 days solid just to chase flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Acherus01 View Post
    All you have to do in order to unlock flying is to play the game as intended, do all quests in the zones, and 1-3 hours of playtime per day doing WQs for 2-3 weeks.. And the shortest/cheapest sub time for the game is 30 days, plenty of time to get it.

Of all the things to whine about the game, this should not be one of them...
    Are you insane? 3 hours every day doing the same exact thing like an effing bot for one month? If this is not torture, I don't know what is.

Are you insane? 3 hours every day doing the same exact thing like an effing bot for one month? If this is not torture, I don't know what is.
    If a minor grind like this is too much for you, you're playing the wrong game.