https://twitter.com/GeoRebekah/statu...65787900145665

And the most reliable source of covid information in Florida has had all her hardware confiscated by the police, who entered her home with guns drawn and pointed them at her family.

Fuck Ron DeSantis for doing his best to censor accurate information and get as many Floridians killed as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    I don't really have an argument for someone who thinks personal health should be an outsourced responsibility. I mean I have damm good arguments but they will sound alien to you.
    I didn't say anything like that. But good try trying to interpret it like that thought. How many pretzels did you work yourself into to do that?

And you have NEVER had a good argument anywhere on this forum. I always see you getting smacked down left and right for how ignorant you post. And this won't be any different.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    The "death rate" for covid isn't about 2% (in the US). You are dividing two inaccurate underestimates with each other.

The true number of deaths should be perhaps 30% higher, and the number of infected might be several times higher than reported - bringing it down to 1% or lower; but exactly how low isn't clear. It will also depend on what doctors have learned so far, the strain of the health-care system, who is infected etc.

Some have attempted to answer that. The most recent I have seen is https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mrc-globa...report-34-IFR/ but that paper is too simple-minded when the summary says that the IFR is 1.15% in high-income countries, when it varies almost an order of magnitude between different countries and crucially depend on the accuracy of the seroprevalence tests - and the study has ignored the unreported covid-deaths, which amplifies the difference (when the health-care system is close to a collapse it seems that death-reporting becomes less accurate).

Covid-19 is still more deadly than the flu and many other viruses, but not as deadly as ebola (50%), mers (35%) or sars-cov-1 (9%).
    I was only using confirmed numbers to reach my conclusion. And I was using a disease that spreads like Covid does as an example that Conservatives claim that Covid is "just the flu".

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Now, attempting to use more concrete data rather than rely on CDC estimates, we can check the CDC's FluView (or this source, since FluView appears to be down), which tells us the hospitalization rates for youths: 94.1 for 0-4 and 24.6 for 5-17. That amounts to 31.6k confirmed hospitalizations which, when compared to the 188 confirmed deaths, comes out to an even-lower 0.6%.

So COVID would appear to be 2-3x as deadly for youths as the flu once hospitalized, even based on a likely undercount of COVID deaths.
    Piling estimates on top of estimates, whereas the linked study show that children are infected in roughly the same amount as adults and have IFRs at 0.0023% or lower in several countries and places. I don't know why the US report so many covid-deaths in 0-4 years compared to other countries (however, under 5 mortality is generally substantially higher in the US - more than double the rate of many countries in Europe), but that's why I suggested looking at 5-17 years old.

And as previously indicated the IFR for covid also seem to vary almost an order of magnitude between different countries; so yes, it's on par.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    I was only using confirmed numbers to reach my conclusion. And I was using a disease that spreads like Covid does as an example that Conservatives claim that Covid is "just the flu".
    It's certainly not "the flu", it's a lot more deadly for the elderly - and it spreads a bit differently; and require different treatments.
    Oh, and likely no-one had immunity from previous years.

However, we have a better understanding of the number of infected - lots of countries have performed various studies giving a fairly good picture of the cases - and excess deaths are generally reported in most western countries; it's just that instead of seeing 288,906 deaths and 15,159,529 infected in the US - the reality is that the US have perhaps 380k deaths, and 30-50 million infected (I assume CDC is trying to estimate that; but I haven't checked their numbers).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/GeoRebekah/statu...65787900145665

And the most reliable source of covid information in Florida has had all her hardware confiscated by the police, who entered her home with guns drawn and pointed them at her family.

Fuck Ron DeSantis for doing his best to censor accurate information and get as many Floridians killed as possible.
    Really hope this chode gets a cell right next to Trump.

I am not going to be responsible for the health of others I am sorry that is such a difficult fact to wrap your head around. Of those at risk are unwilling to mitigate those risks the outcome will likely be tragic but predictable.

As a healthy young adult who is in shape and has no outstanding conditions I am more then willing to fund my orange juice and DVDs to fight the frightening disease.
    grant, so your the guy we have to blame when wave 3 hits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    The... “don’t treat us like children” and “will not wear a mask” crowed has an unreasonable overlap. Ever wonder why there are warning labels on pillows and seemingly silly things? Ask why people don’t wear a mask, to get an answer to that.

It’s even more bizarre when you consider a lot of these people would go out of their way to do stupid shit like starve them selfs or fucking eat rhino horn to get treatment. Just any superstition or occult bullshit you can imagine... people will do that to get better... but, a mask? Morons...

Edit: These “no mask” people... if their favorite politicians told them to shove a coke can sized transmitter up their ass to contact aliens or get a direct feed from some reoccurring Star Trek character... they will do that... but, a mask? Freedom!!! Bleach? Fish tank cleaner? Yes please...
    Last edited by Felya; 2020-12-08 at 04:58 AM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    I would blame pushing unrated ineffective masks on people giving those who are at risk a false sense of protection with what is akin to a placebo but hey whatever floats your boat.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would blame pushing unrated ineffective masks on people giving those who are at risk a false sense of protection with what is akin to a placebo but hey whatever floats your boat.
    But, it’s not... any barrier is better than a sugar pill. If you want to talk false sense of security, I’d wager the plastic barriers in stores, the 6 foot markers, the kids learning at home... would help with the false sense of security. Something I can’t say about a government that had a maskless super spreader event on Friday.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

I am not going to be responsible for the health of others I am sorry that is such a difficult fact to wrap your head around. Of those at risk are unwilling to mitigate those risks the outcome will likely be tragic but predictable.

As a healthy young adult who is in shape and has no outstanding conditions I am more then willing to fund my orange juice and DVDs to fight the frightening disease.
    Do you drive, well, any vehicle?

Like I told you already, we know what you are doing, it's painfully obvious, which means you are really bad at this, which makes it even more sad this is what you do for entertainment, go play some video games, or a movie or ya know, do something productive with your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    But, it’s not... any barrier is better than a sugar pill. If you want to talk false sense of security, I’d wager the plastic barriers in stores, the 6 foot markers, the kids learning at home... would help with the false sense of security. Something I can’t say about a government that had a maskless super spreader event on Friday.
    I mean given the non rated masks dont actively filter out covid the sugar pill might actually be a better deterrent if you have low sugar levels.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean given the non rated masks dont actively filter out covid the sugar pill might actually be a better deterrent if you have low sugar levels.
    None of the masks completely filter out covid, they all provide a variety of barrier. Your sugar levels have nothing to do with being a COVID deterrent... :/

None of the masks completely filter out covid, they all provide a variety of barrier. Your sugar levels have nothing to do with being a COVID deterrent... :/
    Well no certain masks are effective though they also require additional prevention methods. No mask that is available to the public easily is capable of it but that is another matter entirely.

It's the same reason why there was a real push to stop people from buying nor wearing masks at the start. They knew they didnt have the stock of rated masks to supply the public it was only once it was secured they pushed what we have now.

I think few people have a poor grasp on just how easily it spreads.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well no certain masks are effective though they also require additional prevention methods. No mask that is available to the public easily is capable of it but that is another matter entirely.

It's the same reason why there was a real push to stop people from buying nor wearing masks at the start. They knew they didnt have the stock of rated masks to supply the public it was only once it was secured they pushed what we have now.

I think few people have a poor grasp on just how easily it spreads.
    The thing is... if an asshole wants to wear a bandana, instead of nothing at all... bro... at least he tried. I’m just happy they are doing something...

The thing is... if an asshole wants to wear a bandana, instead of nothing at all... bro... at least he tried. I’m just happy they are doing something...
    I think this is really were we come to a fork at the road. I want people to do useful things rather then simply acting. Bandana guy and mask guy are roughly effective as eats an apple a day guy ( arguably less apples are rather healthy).

I don't get this desperation to cling to a non solution we know isn't effective. While I abhor public aid we could at least make it somewhat sustainable by limiting it to those at risk and allowing commerce to function in only a slightly reduced state. What we are doing now isn't effective and can't be effective. We are essentially waiting time and money while we pray the rushed vaccine works and I don't see a real benefit to that.

Most masks don't filter out COVID, they were never meant to protect you from COVID.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    Most masks don't filter out COVID, they were never meant to protect you from COVID.
    See that is kind of why I don't get the push for them. If they were rated to I would at least understand it.

I don't get this desperation to cling to a non solution we know isn't effective.
    Wrong, Precautions have already prevented many from infections.

While I abhor public aid we could at least make it somewhat sustainable by limiting it to those at risk and allowing commerce to function in only a slightly reduced state.
    Yet again you're ignoring that Healthy people can also die from COVID.

What we are doing now isn't effective and can't be effective. We are essentially waiting time and money while we pray the rushed vaccine works and I don't see a real benefit to that.
    Because of the Trump administration.

- - - Updated - - -

See that is kind of why I don't get the push for them. If they were rated to I would at least understand it.
    People wearing masks, prevents the spread of the Virus.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2020-12-08 at 12:07 PM.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    People wearing masks, prevents the spread of the Virus.
    You know what gets me... when people compare this to Black Plague and all past pandemics. I bet they would all wear masks... This is people who would put leeches on their body as a cure. Burn all of their possessions... kill people... everything you can imagine, to just not be afflicted. A mask? For those ages? Every single person would wear one...

The shit they do in Africa to fight aids as a superstition... all you you got to do is wear a mask.

You know what gets me... when people compare this to Black Plague and all past pandemics. I bet they would all wear masks... This is people who would put leeches on their body as a cure. Burn all of their possessions... kill people... everything you can imagine, to just not be afflicted. A mask? For those ages? Every single person would wear one...

The shit they do in Africa to fight aids as a superstition... all you you got to do is wear a mask.
    Well let's meet in the middle. They start supplying rated masks and I will start wearing them. Until then we are effectively fighting this with leeches for how good the masks we have access to are.