Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Wasn't 5% the threshold at which you start missing a lot of cases in testing?

- - - Updated - - -

Instead of mindlessly attacking anyone who doesn't agree with your world view, how about posting something constructive?

- - - Updated - - -

OT:

So she won the first round but Electorate College decided otherwise which depended on the seat/population ratio of the states in question.
    It's an interesting system, though I find it odd that EC voters can actually go against the popular vote of the state they represent.
    As far as I read, the reasoning behind that is that politically uneducated people might be swept away by an overly emotional campaign.

I can understand your criticism and see the potential mis-use of such a system. If EC voters can vote "unfaithful" and could (in theory) be bought, the whole election can easily be rigged. Especially in such close calls.

On question comes to mind though: what happens to the losers? In our systems, they form an opposition. Oftentimes the opposition is so strong, that the parties start forming coalitions in order to get a functional government that actually can make decisions.
    Is it not the same for yours? I'd reckon that a near 50/50 split would result in a very strong opposition, being able to veto any unpopular move of the winning candidate.
    No, Trump just happened to get 77k more votes across 3 states that barely allowed him to win. All of those states are trending away from him though.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    wow this is a new low even for you. seriously go shitpost somewhere else.
    Actually it was a fair comment. Understandably the poster they were replying to is going through an emotional time right now, but it isn't really fair to blame maskless people for a specific person's infection unless you are somehow 100% sure that a specific maskless person is responsible.

It is entirely possible for a mask wearer to infect another mask wearer; a poorly fitting mask with a loose seal has its effectiveness reduced drastically. You can also unwittingly infect yourself by touching the front of your own mask or other items that you might not have thought to clean, such as your phone.

All that said, people who refuse to wear masks are dangerous idiots.

Wasn't 5% the threshold at which you start missing a lot of cases in testing?
    Yes, the idea is that if you are above the 5% threshold you are certainly missing a lot of cases.

However, if you are below that threshold it is more complicated - you might be ok, or you might still miss a lot of cases; if you mostly test part (region, socioeconomic, etc) of the population.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    No, Trump just happened to get 77k more votes across 3 states that barely allowed him to win. All of those states are trending away from him though.
    Trump managed to get 62,984,828 votes - including those 77k critical votes, but 2.9 million less than Hillary (and in EC: Clinton lost 5 votes, Trump lost 2 - neither of those losses mattered.)

But I guess that should be discussed elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Actually it was a fair comment. Understandably the poster they were replying to is going through an emotional time right now, but it isn't really fair to blame maskless people for a specific person's infection unless you are somehow 100% sure that a specific maskless person is responsible.

It is entirely possible for a mask wearer to infect another mask wearer; a poorly fitting mask with a loose seal has its effectiveness reduced drastically. You can also unwittingly infect yourself by touching the front of your own mask or other items that you might not have thought to clean, such as your phone.

All that said, people who refuse to wear masks are dangerous idiots.
    Yeah I'm just going to say this once: I don't fucking care.

Wear your goddamned masks. It doesn't hurt you. It doesn't damage your lungs, your heart, anything else. All it does is protect the people around you.

The fact that something backed up by hard science is being screamed about as tyranny when it's literally putting a piece of cloth on your face so you're not spitting on everyone around you is ridiculous. And the intransience is leading to people like my mom suffering as a result. And I'm not okay with that at all. I'm not okay with other people putting me at risk, either, but I will burn the fucking world down for my mom before I'll ever get loud with someone for my own sake.

The "you" here should be understood as a general "you," not a specific "you."
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Spain is now looking to extend their measures till may. That means curfew time not allowed out late at night.
    Italy is looking to close down everything past 18:00.
    Here schools are being closed an additional three days and i got a feeling the curfew time of 22h to 5 is going to be enforced over the entire nation.

Starting to look like there won't be any holidays this year, even if the measures in place now are trying to achieve that.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Spain is now looking to extend their measures till may. That means curfew time not allowed out late at night.
    Italy is looking to close down everything past 18:00.
    Here schools are being closed an additional three days and i got a feeling the curfew time of 22h to 5 is going to be enforced over the entire nation.

Starting to look like there won't be any holidays this year, even if the measures in place now are trying to achieve that.
    Well merchants are already selling xmas stuff on shells so yeah......................for 2 weeks already.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    I'm more concerned whether we will have normal summer holidays next year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/25/coro...pandemic-.html

“We’re not going to control the pandemic,” Meadows said during an interview on CNN. “We are going to control the fact that we get vaccines, therapeutics and other mitigations.”

Pressed on why the U.S. can’t make efforts to control the pandemic, Meadows said: “Because it is a contagious virus just like the flu.”

“What we need to do is make sure that we have the proper mitigation factors, whether it’s therapies or vaccines or treatments to make sure that people don’t die from this,” Meadows said.
    The Trump administration raises the white flag. They didn't put up much of a fight to begin with, but the pandemic has beaten the US government into submission.

This is a failure of leadership. This is a group of people so wholly unprepared and uncaring that they'll let hundreds of thousands of Americans die.

I hate my country right now, specifically those that lead it. They could have saved tens, if not hundreds of thousands of lives by the time this shit is over. But they raised the white flag because running a pandemic response that they were drilled on by the previous administration is hard. I'm not saying it's easy by any means, but they could have at least pretended to give a fuck and try.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/25/coro...pandemic-.html

The Trump administration raises the white flag. They didn't put up much of a fight to begin with, but the pandemic has beaten the US government into submission.

This is a failure of leadership. This is a group of people so wholly unprepared and uncaring that they'll let hundreds of thousands of Americans die.

I hate my country right now, specifically those that lead it. They could have saved tens, if not hundreds of thousands of lives by the time this shit is over. But they raised the white flag because running a pandemic response that they were drilled on by the previous administration is hard. I'm not saying it's easy by any means, but they could have at least pretended to give a fuck and try.
    Trumpers rely on voter suppression and Misinformation on the Coronavirus and are now surrendering to the Pandemic, they have no plan, they never will, anybody who thinks this is going to get better because of the Trump administration is Clearly ignorant or misled by idiotic Qtards.

They are beyond pathetic and deplorable and deserve all Punishments received either by people or the government.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I guess winter will show us whether our efforts in Europe will be more fruitful than the US' denial of the whole shabang.
    Though I am not sure whether anything besides another hard lockdown will make much of a dent in the numbers.

Though I am not sure whether anything besides another hard lockdown will make much of a dent in the numbers.
    Precautions work.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

Well, they could also declared war on covid, after the success of the war on drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Well, they could also declared war on covid, after the success of the war on drugs.
    Yet another False Equivalence.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Wear your goddamned masks. It doesn't hurt you. It doesn't damage your lungs, your heart, anything else. All it does is protect the people around you.
    Oh absolutely, 100%. I've already had to tell people doing work in my home to wear a mask. One of them complained, saying that it "feels stuffy". This was a guy whose job it was to carry out works in people's homes and work premises. You'd think someone like that would be health and safety aware, but apparently wearing a fucking mask for 2 hours is too much to handle. The sheer selfishness and wilful stupidity of some people is maddening.

I hope your mum pulls through.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    It's something that is slowly starting to happen. Also, imunity tests showing aswell that imunity keeps decreasing over time, and that is science working.

Those are just the reported cases, i'm sure there is a lot more of them.
    There are no measures which fully capture our immunity to anything by the way. Antibody concentrations is not necessarily correlated with immune activity and not the only form of immune response we have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    Precautions work.
    Judging by the speed at which current numbers rise, something is woefully ineffective.

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    Yet another False Equivalence.
    It was sarcasm about grand statements not always working.

Although after people shooting at tornadoes, it could be that some would take it literally.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I guess winter will show us whether our efforts in Europe will be more fruitful than the US' denial of the whole shabang.
    Well, getting the testing (and ideally tracing) working as efficiently as in some Asian countries seems more realistic than Wuhan-style lockdown and might even work better.

Judging by the speed at which current numbers rise, something is woefully ineffective.
    Yeah, the brains of Trump supporters that listen to Trump, INSTEAD OF FUCKING SCIENCE.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't even know if it could be called a surrender if you never began to fight in the first place.

Unfortunately, Americans right now just have to deal with the ignorance being spread by Trump - that he saved 2 million lives by taking action, even though he's misrepresenting the statistics (as he does most things). Hopefully a better, more competent leader will win the day and strategies for mitigation can begin soon, as well as hold Trump accountable for what is ostensibly a failure borne from feeding into ignorance which borders on treason.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Yea Trump supporters are not wearing masks and their dear leader is holding super spreader rallies (no masks, no social distancing by the thousands) across the country leaving 35-50% spikes in his wake. He is not only incompetent he is actively spreading the disease, Mike Pence is possibly infected and he is holding rallies , not wearing a mask instead of quarantining or being cautious.