Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Ah a shame, the scientist doesn't want to tell me about science. oh well, i guess i'll just have to continue on with my day.

fyi it came across exactly the way i wanted it too.
    It really didn't...

I get what you wanted to say but you tripped over your words to badly to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    It really didn't...

I get what you wanted to say but you tripped over your words to badly to say it.
    What are you talking about? trip over my words? You said what you said, I didn't do anything, all did was get you to reply and double down and triple down, but it was all you bro. I'm quite satisfied.

Well, I understand science but it isn't my strong subject, if this is your strong subject? yikes. I'm gonna believe doctors and actual scientists who say masks work to slow the spread, and have thoroughly explain how masks work to slow the spread, instead of just you, telling me i'm delusional thinking 20,000 people packed together with no masks has no major relevance for case-numbers.
    They were outdoors - in August.

So, yes, if they are honest they will say that you are delusional.

As for scientist claiming that masks slow the spread there seems to be (as previously seen) a publication bias so that studies showing a smaller/no effect aren't published; and we instead have this situation where every study claiming that masks work is praised - regardless of practical relevance, whereas every time it seems masks don't work it is claimed that "people don't wear them correctly" (for some reason it is assumed that everyone wears correctly in other cases; and no-one seems to be investigating how to get people to wear them correctly).

All that because you thought that mask wearing in Germany was negated by 0.6% of the Berlin's population participating in a protest.

That's pseudo-science and mass-hysteria - not science.

Remember that one reason CDC (and others) like masks is because they cause less of an economic impact than people staying home (due to lockdowns).

whatever, putting you on ignore, you can have the last response, but i won't read it, peace.
    I assume you go back to your safe space where we only had a 72 million infected worldwide, and not about a 1,000 millions (give or take a couple of hundred millions); and in the same safe space there are less than 2 million dead.

Yes, you can't buy n-95 masks...

Why is it that the people who seem to be the most ignorant on matters always seem to be the ones screaming science ?
    The fucking irony here.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    The fucking irony here.
    Ignorance can be fixed. Anti maskers have a stupidity problem, no vaccine for that.

Facial acne is an unfortunate side effect of masks

What are you talking about? trip over my words? You said what you said, I didn't do anything, all did was get you to reply and double down and triple down, but it was all you bro. I'm quite satisfied.
    You didn't though... the problem I have now is an example of what you've done is cringy in of itself.

I noted you don't understand what it is your taking about and then you immediately made a blind appeal to authority without understanding the example you were using...

That isn't accomplishing what you so badly want it to accomplish.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    The fucking irony here.
    Did they lift hoarding them to medical professionals? Egg on my face there then

To once more show that masks aren't the panacea that some claim.

IHME states that 90% have been wearing masks in Spain since mid-August (they had a second peak/wave and a lockdown), and less than 65% in China during the same time period (no 2nd peak/wave); and in (S.) Korea mask use has increased from 80% to currently 92%; and at the same time infections seems to slowly be getting out of control. Viet Nam seems to have the infections fairly under control with mask use at around 50-60%.

http://covid19.healthdata.org/china?...-use&tab=trend

People aren't trained surgeons who know how to wear masks correctly. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    People aren't trained surgeons who know how to wear masks correctly. What did you expect?
    Poe's law. I can't tell if this is parody or not.

Poe's law. I can't tell if this is parody or not.
    Why not both?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah you convinced me. Superspreader events are just not a thing. And its certainly not the case that people from all over the region and even country come to these superspreaders events. no statistical dent at all to these.
    We had tons of demonstrations during the summer.
    Not a single one caused a measurable rise in the nation wide statistics.

This is hard data. Not belief.

Most certainly, a few protesters cannot be the sole cause why we have a second wave.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Not only that but it's also simply not feasible to be up to surgeon's hygiene standards the entire day / in every situation.
    Naturally, masks are taken down to eat, smoke, blow the nose etc. Then they are put back on. They are touched, put in pockets, re-used etc.

Doesn't mean that they don't help in crowded situations but the initial statement that I responded to claimed that masks alone would be able to push R0 below 1 which may work in a laboratory simulation but is simply incorrect in real life. As real data of second waves in countries with mask mandates has shown.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its quite stupid of how my country went from 40 dead in july to 2063 dead today.

96314 people are reported to be infected right now... wich is 2078938 people in total in whole country. Almost 5% of all population.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    We had tons of demonstrations during the summer.
    Not a single one caused a measurable rise in the nation wide statistics.

This is hard data. Not belief.

Most certainly, a few protesters cannot be the sole cause why we have a second wave.

- - - Updated - - -

Not only that but it's also simply not feasible to be up to surgeon's hygiene standards the entire day / in every situation.
    Naturally, masks are taken down to eat, smoke, blow the nose etc. Then they are put back on. They are touched, put in pockets, re-used etc.

Doesn't mean that they don't help in crowded situations but the initial statement that I responded to claimed that masks alone would be able to push R0 below 1 which may work in a laboratory simulation but is simply incorrect in real life. As real data of second waves in countries with mask mandates has shown.
    I'm not saying it's the sole reason. I'm saying your country is like every almost other country, ya'll have idiot anti-maskers. Which you said you didn't.

At least we know that any potential hostile countries will succeed with high casualty rates if they released a biological weapon in this country because we're too stupid to even follow basic shit with COVID.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    If you can't work out how to wear a mask, I'd argue you shouldn't even be going outside. Probably trip over your own legs....
    Maybe we should introduce commercials on how to use the masks? Or some guy on a pedestal in a mall? Like how on airplanes the flight attendant shows how to operate a belt buckle. Now that's some high tech shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    At least we know that any potential hostile countries will succeed with high casualty rates if they released a biological weapon in this country because we're too stupid to even follow basic shit with COVID.
    Yep, the least realistic part of zombie movies is now we know there'd be at least a third of the cast being idiots claiming the virus isn't real even as they're being bitten while they hold a zombie reveal party.

Speaking of idiocy, I see we still have people whinging that because PPE exists in grades of effectiveness that means you might as well not use it. And yes, that is in fact whinging:

I'ma just point out the people making that argument would have failed Sex Ed back in school because it's the same bullshit argument that abstinence-only clowns make regarding contraception.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not saying it's the sole reason. I'm saying your country is like every almost other country, ya'll have idiot anti-maskers. Which you said you didn't.
    I never said that. That was your interpretation.
    Usually compliance is 90% and up, which is in line with other countries.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    It doesn't require a fucking brain surgeon to know how to wear a mask. It's a very basic thing.
    You'd be surprised how much effort it takes to put the mask on w/o contaminating it, how little you may do with it once it is on (hint: nothing) and how quickly you need to change it.

Suffice it to say: that ain't feasible in an every day scenario. most certainly you cannot:

-pull it down to the chin
    -put it into your pocket
    -wrap it around your am
    -put in on the table
    -fiddle with it because it doesn't sit right
    -lift it up to eat sth.
    -reuse it in any way w/o sanitizing it first

*chuckles*

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I'ma just point out the people making that argument would have failed Sex Ed back in school because it's the same bullshit argument that abstinence-only clowns make regarding contraception.
    Technically speaking: barring sterilization, abstinence is the only way to achieve 100%.
    Since contraception is usually a 1/0 affair (either you want children or you don't), I don't think any comparison between the effectiveness of a mask and the effectiveness of a specific method of contraception is valid. You're basically comparing watermelons to peanuts.

Also, you don't have the law of large numbers on your side. Even if a mask only nets you a 10% reduction in infection rate, across millions of people that is significant enough to warrant their use. I doubt anyone is interested in a condom that only works in 10% of the cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    It doesn't require a fucking brain surgeon to know how to wear a mask. It's a very basic thing.

Jesus christ you people.
    Most people haven't been in a position where they've had to wear one before. They're extremely uncomfortable to wear for many individuals, too. Some people get by with them well enough but others don't for various reasons. Either because it makes them anxious, they find it harder to breathe or the material feels odd and unpleasant - as is the case with people who have, say, sensory issues such as autism.

To say nothing of the fact that some people's glasses fog up even when they're wearing one correctly and a new pair of anti-fog lenses isn't necessarily a valid option due to financial strain. (Incidentally, people living on the poverty line and counting every penny are going to struggle to afford masks in general - especially on a long term basis.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Most people haven't been in a position where they've had to wear one before. They're extremely uncomfortable to wear for many individuals, too. Some people get by with them well enough but others don't for various reasons. Either because it makes them anxious, they find it harder to breathe or the material feels odd and unpleasant - as is the case with people who have, say, sensory issues such as autism.

To say nothing of the fact that some people's glasses fog up even when they're wearing one correctly and a new pair of anti-fog lenses isn't necessarily a valid option due to financial strain. (Incidentally, people living on the poverty line and counting every penny are going to struggle to afford masks in general - especially on a long term basis.)
    These all “I put my personal comfort over other people’s health” except for the financial ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.