10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    The article says the vaccine is going to be less effective for some of the newer variants
    No, lol, it literally doesn't say that.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    All of our stockpile in Chicago, interesting situation, 40% hasn't been going to Chicago residents, but healthcare workers who commute from suburbs, but all work in the city but don't count as Chicago vaccinations. We finished phase 1a and moving to phase 1b, 65+ and essential workers, all Chicago residents, but which is made up of about 700k citizens. Chicago getting 35k dosages a week right now. Hope Biden can deliver.
    So just finding out, it'll be available everyone in chicago 16+ by may. But they said write the date in pencil because it's dependant on the obvious factors. if true, hell yeah!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    It would still be more effective to force people indoors for 2 weeks by army and suppy them with food than waiting for vaccine. (and also close all borders)

This should stop virus from mutating a bit and buy time to get people vaccinated after.
    We would need to stop the entire world for at least a month, and that's nearly impossible to do. Firstly because we have 3rd world countries where people are more worried about eating than dying from COVID, so they won't stop to starve to death. They have bigger things to worry about like malaria which kills up to two million people per year. Then we have people that just doesn't believe in COVID, and it isn't just Americans who believe this. Finally, we have essential workers who need to keep working otherwise worse things could happen like no hospitals or electricity.

The only effective way to make this work would be to lock down borders to prevent people from entering countries, because some countries do have have the same standards as others. We'd also need a very automated industry so that no humans are needed for essential things like food and electricity. Hospitals would need staff wearing hazmat suits and not just walking around with a mask with good hygiene. Only then would we stand a chance to eradicate COVID, but we won't because none of these ideas are cheap or good for the economy. Money printer goes brrr, while people are dying because our economy was never meant to have a pause button. That's why COVID not only persists and MAY mutate to avoid the vaccine but also why so many people are dead. It's the economy.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2021-01-20 at 01:10 AM.

Israel should be 1/3 of the country done by the end of today. UAE has reached 1/5th.
    Of course, this is not counting second jabs, but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Israel should be 1/3 of the country done by the end of today. UAE has reached 1/5th.
    Of course, this is not counting second jabs, but still.
    Starting today 35+ can get vaccines for 2 out of 4 healthcare providers. I'm not with those 2, but I guess the remaining 2 will bait in a day or two.

Apparently there is enough vaccine to do that even without MoH recommendation. So I imagine I'll get mine next week.

- - - Updated - - -

There's also some scoop here that there are 100k Moderna shots unused for 20 days now, because MoH hoped to use these for people who can't go out to take a vaccine. Moderna is supposed to be easier to transport and MoH banked on that, but for some reason they found there is an issue with that.

- - - Updated - - -

In other news.

- Yesterday police found yet another underground wedding taking place, there was a woman who had COVID-19 and was aware of it, hiding in the WC when police came to stop the whole thing.

- Also yesterday, police got alerted to a mass house party going on where everyone was wearing headphones so there won't be loud music and they won't get reported.

Chief issue, aside from lackluster enforcement, is that fines are pretty low - standard fine is about ~$150 and maximum fine ~$1500, which is usually only given to business owners operating outside permitted limits.

There were attempts in the govt to increase fines, but they were blocked by coalition members, so people are feeling safe enough to wing it. 150 bucks is no biggie and from what I hear, most of people are not even paying it and I'm not sure anything is done about it.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2021-01-20 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    In other news.
    Humans will always try to find a way around rules cause ego and "I know better". But at least we can laugh about hiding in toilets.
    Even in Latvia we have bigger fines, up to 2k EUR for the average dude from the street (can and has been "awarded" again for repeated offenses) and they have given those, usually in cases like being rude to police, refusing to follow their commands and attacking cops in the end, full set so to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

First confirmed case of deadly reinfection in Germany, not first overall.

It still seems that re-infections do not occur in the first 6 months after infection, but we really don't know much about them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Oh... that's what ED means... heh.
    And suddenly all of those spam-mails make more sense :-)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    And suddenly all of those spam-mails make more sense :-)
    It's almost like learning a new Kanji!

10+ Year Old Account
    First confirmed case of deadly reinfection in Germany, not first overall.

It still seems that re-infections do not occur in the first 6 months after infection, but we really don't know much about them.
    It means that anybody that got COVID earlier this year are not immune to the new COVID. There's also the issue if the new vaccine is even effective against the new strain. The man was reported to be 73 years old but I feel that's not a good enough reason for his death.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    It means that anybody that got COVID earlier this year are not immune to the new COVID.
    FFS, that's not what that means at all.

Learn some science, please. Or rational thought, at least.

Scientists never expected recovery-based immunity to last forever. The man's cases were 8-months apart, which is what many scientists believe to be around the time when some people might have waning immunity enough to get reinfected, even potentially by the exact same strain.

The man could also have been immunocompromised, which would render his situation not applicable to the majority of us.

Also, from the article:
    According to the State Health Office, however, there is 'no epidemiological evidence' that the deceased came into contact with [the new] mutation.
    So again, please, stop spreading your misinformation as if it were truth.

EDIT: Also from the article:
    What such reinfections mean for vaccinated people is still unclear. However, the vaccination leads to a much stronger immune response than the natural infection. Experts therefore hope that the protection provided by vaccination will last longer.
    Last edited by PhaelixWW; 2021-01-21 at 07:52 AM.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

It means that anybody that got COVID earlier this year are not immune to the new COVID. There's also the issue if the new vaccine is even effective against the new strain.
    No-one is fully safe, but we don't know if everyone can be reinfected right away; or whether it varies.

As for the vaccine against the new strain: the indications are that it's effective; and additionally mRNA technology means that it would be straightforward to change the vaccine. The problem would then be how to approve such a modified vaccine and also if we don't have one new strain - but several requiring different vaccines.

The man was reported to be 73 years old but I feel that's not a good enough reason for his death.
    Based on that alone he had two of the main risk factors for covid-deaths, and some estimate give that it gives a probability of death around 2-3%.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    FFS, that's not what that means at all.

Learn some science, please. Or rational thought, at least.
    It's going to be one of those posts, isn't it?
    Scientists never expected recovery-based immunity to last forever. The man's cases were 8-months apart, which is what many scientists believe to be around the time when some people might have waning immunity enough to get reinfected, even potentially by the exact same strain.
    They really don't know. "The researchers found that these four factors persisted for at least 8 months following infection with the virus.

This is important because this shows that the body can “remember” the SARS-CoV-2 virus. If it encounters the virus again, the memory B cells can quickly gear up and produce antibodies to fight the re-infection."

If we had more time with the virus then we can accurately say how long antibodies and memory cells last. Right now the antibodies can last from 3 months to indefinitely as far as researchers know.
    The man could also have been immunocompromised, which would render his situation not applicable to the majority of us.
    We do make a lot of excuses off information we don't have. That's not science, that's speculation.

- - - Updated - - -

No-one is fully safe, but we don't know if everyone can be reinfected right away; or whether it varies.

As for the vaccine against the new strain: the indications are that it's effective; and additionally mRNA technology means that it would be straightforward to change the vaccine. The problem would then be how to approve such a modified vaccine and also if we don't have one new strain - but several requiring different vaccines.
    This is why vaccines take years to develop and not a year.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's going to be one of those posts, isn't it?
    It seems like it, yes.

They really don't know.
    The researchers found that these four factors persisted for at least 8 months following infection with the virus.

This is important because this shows that the body can “remember” the SARS-CoV-2 virus. If it encounters the virus again, the memory B cells can quickly gear up and produce antibodies to fight the re-infection.
    No, they really don't know. I never claimed they did, but you did. I only claimed that your certainty was bullshit. You'll notice (or perhaps you won't), that I said "many scientiests..." (not "all") "...believe..." (not "know for sure") "...[that 8 months is] around the time..." (not "exactly" the time) "...when some people..." (not "all") "...might ..." (not "will") "...have waning immunity enough..." (not "no immunity") "..to get reinfected."

You have here one case, and based on that, you made a 100% assertion that it somehow proved that he not only must have the new strain, but that the immunity from older strains can't possibly work on the new strain.

Literally your entire assertion was false, yet you're passing it off as truth.

We do make a lot of excuses off information we don't have. That's not science, that's speculation.
    Then make sure to post them as speculation, not fact, and we won't have (as much of) a problem.

No, they don't. Bureaucracy, financial concerns, and inherent difficulties are why vaccines take years to develop.

For COVID, bureaucracy has been bypassed, financial concerns have been ignored, and the inherent difficulties were comparatively minor. The testing done was actually far, far more widespread and comprehensive than any clinical trial of which I've ever heard.

None of that is a guarantee, of course, but clinical trials never are.

If you feel like there's some scientific bases for your claims, then feel free to divulge them, otherwise you're basically just denying science here.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

There is always a lot we don't know; science is often just trying to put the speculations on more solid ground - since the alternative is to wait until the pandemic is over to get more solid evidence, which has clear some disadvantages.

And science already progressed on this - the first confirmed reinfections were in August, and scientist worked hard to confirm that it was a reinfection in that one and similar cases (rejecting the idea that it was the original infection re-surfacing).

Already in mid-September there were indications that reinfections might occur after about 6 months; based on similar diseases.
    I don't know what you are trying to say.

However, seasonal flu vaccines are regularly approved after updating to new strains without waiting years. Applying the same process to these ones seems straightforward.

Flu vaccines say hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Humans will always try to find a way around rules cause ego and "I know better". But at least we can laugh about hiding in toilets.
    Even in Latvia we have bigger fines, up to 2k EUR for the average dude from the street (can and has been "awarded" again for repeated offenses) and they have given those, usually in cases like being rude to police, refusing to follow their commands and attacking cops in the end, full set so to say.
    I initially interpreted the WC as "Wedding Cake," because I assumed it was happening in America and didn't translate WC to water closet before getting that image in my head.

After the year we had, I'm not really surprised my brain didn't immediately register that a woman popping out of a wedding cake would be weird.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Flu vaccines say hi.
    The flu vaccine is not a new vaccine though. The methodology for creating them is well documented and tested, unlike this new COVID vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I initially interpreted the WC as "Wedding Cake," because I assumed it was happening in America and didn't translate WC to water closet before getting that image in my head.

After the year we had, I'm not really surprised my brain didn't immediately register that a woman popping out of a wedding cake would be weird.

- - - Updated - - -

The flu vaccine is not a new vaccine though. The methodology for creating them is well documented and tested, unlike this new COVID vaccine.
    I'm still technically correct regardless. he's also talking mutations, which means if needed this one will need to be altered for future and might need to be taken each year like flu vaccine, and like the flu vaccine will be done in months, not years. Also the methodology of creating the covid vaccine has been around at least a decade now, just not specifically for covid.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...-coronaviruses

Because like the flu, this isn't the first coronavirus and there's a foundation of research on similar viruses that allowed them to focus vaccine efforts.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, very few of the COVID vaccines are mRNA vaccines; many are using far more standard and well-established development methods.

Still, part of the reason that mRNA vaccines are so potentially game-changing is that they can be quickly developed and easily produced.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils