1. #21781
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    22,652
    Things debunked the hard way

    We can get rid of the virus with herd immunity

    It can only become less lethal or more contagious, not both.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Well, Japan and IOC are denying postponement - and other international sporting events are taking place; and did take place last summer as well.

    We will see in a few months; wont influence my life much either way.
    What I'm seeing is similar to what we saw in 2020 where no one wants to be the first to 'surrender' to the current situation. They are waiting for someone else to make the first move so they can say "well I guess we have to cancel now since everyone else is", or waiting for enough nations/athletes to back out.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Like they could trust other countries to properly screen and take precautions with their athletes.
    If the NBA is still struggling with its second iteration of its bubble, people are crazy to think you could you could bubble the Olympics.

    A better comparison would be college football where you had to have bubbles within bubbles. It failed, a lot, with many cancelations and outbreaks.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  2. #21782
    17 and 18 years old can now go get a vaccine.

    Reason is that they have upcoming graduation tests and the government does not want to have to postpone or cancel these. This is on top of all 40+ who can come get a vaccine. Some 35+ can also


    There is also some talk that part of the reason we have supply is because was in part because we paid about 150% of asking price per shot.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2021-01-23 at 01:45 AM.

  3. #21783
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    If the vaccine works, the latter half of 2021 will degenerate to LFR.
    lets hope so

  4. #21784
    Old God Vash The Stampede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Better part of NJ
    Posts
    10,837
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Things debunked the hard way

    We can get rid of the virus with herd immunity

    It can only become less lethal or more contagious, not both.
    Apparently it can become more deadlier.
    https://www.dw.com/en/uk-covid-varia...xdjzZxQ5htImw8

    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    If the vaccine works, the latter half of 2021 will degenerate to LFR.
    As long as the vaccinated individual continues to be careful by wearing a mask and social distancing, because they can still be a asymptotic carrier of the disease even after vaccination.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/18/b...us-deaths.html

  5. #21785
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    You will get announcement in a matter of few weeks. Nobody will be holding Olympics in the midst of pandemic, especially not Japan and especially not with these latest mutations that make the whole thing even more contagious.
    We will see.

    You might be right. Or they might try to hold a downscaled version, similarly as was done for diamond league (track-field) last year, or ...

  6. #21786
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    We will see.

    You might be right. Or they might try to hold a downscaled version, similarly as was done for diamond league (track-field) last year, or ...
    if i were them i'd just delay. i'd straight up say lets delay to 2024. you don't make a lot of tourism bucks on a downscaled event.

  7. #21787
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    if i were them i'd just delay. i'd straight up say lets delay to 2024. you don't make a lot of tourism bucks on a downscaled event.
    Possibly, but that would upset the French, and the Californians.

  8. #21788
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    22,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Apparently it can become more deadlier.
    https://www.dw.com/en/uk-covid-varia...xdjzZxQ5htImw8
    That's what I am saying. The stuff in italics are false assertions.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Possibly, but that would upset the French, and the Californians.
    So?

    The world is dealing with an unprecedented event. Part of the mess is due to whining over adapting.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  9. #21789
    Warchief Tuor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Valinor
    Posts
    2,239
    Things outscaled anything reasanoble, today we hited the 15k mark of new cases. Predictions point that in 2 weeks the UK strain will be dominant with around 60% of new cases. We in a full scale lockdown and police as received special orders.

    Meawhille vaccination keeps going on, and we already started giving second shots.

    The current situation in Portugal is very nasty, and that includes the low amount of vaccines.

  10. #21790
    Scarab Lord PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    4,975
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    So?

    The world is dealing with an unprecedented event. Part of the mess is due to whining over adapting.
    Doesn't that argue, then, that Tokyo should shoulder that cost rather than Paris and LA?

    I mean, you can legitimately argue this both ways.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  11. #21791
    Legendary! Logwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dagobah
    Posts
    6,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    The Norway's post-vaccination death cases have gained some more traction and are being investigated. Almost all were for people basically already on the death bed, but not like it is stopping crazies shouting now nor do they care about the fact that investigation is happening and not being hiddens.
    There is a chance that there might be some reviews whether to vaccinate the extremly weak old patients, but we will see.
    IF they were on their deathbed with no chance of recovery why would they vaccinate them? Unless it was to use them guinea pigs. Most doctors I know tend to not do things that are trivial with treatments.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Apparently it can become more deadlier.
    https://www.dw.com/en/uk-covid-varia...xdjzZxQ5htImw8
    That's my worry. We could have shut it all down another month or two a year ago. Maybe drowned it out rather than dragging it out. No one really looked at the Flu in 1918-1920. We are seeing a similar model now.

  12. #21792
    I’m actually curious how many people on here plan to get the vaccine... someone should do a poll.
    Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

  13. #21793
    Old God Vash The Stampede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Better part of NJ
    Posts
    10,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    That's my worry. We could have shut it all down another month or two a year ago. Maybe drowned it out rather than dragging it out. No one really looked at the Flu in 1918-1920. We are seeing a similar model now.
    The worst part is that it could be 30% more deadly. The thing about the Spanish flu is that nobody back then took it serous. They hid the information and basically nothing was done. About 50 million died world wide and that's from a population of 2 billion back in 1918. We can't really use the Spanish Flu as an example unless we also want to ignore it. They expected two waves like the Spanish Flu, but we've had multiple waves.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I’m actually curious how many people on here plan to get the vaccine... someone should do a poll.
    I plan to but I can wait since I was already infected, so I should be fine for now. Not sure if I even need the vaccine if I've already been infected.

  14. #21794
    Scarab Lord PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    4,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    The thing about the Spanish flu is that nobody back then took it serous. They hid the information and basically nothing was done.
    I don't know how anyone types "they didn't take it seriously" and "nothing was done" with a straight face while acknowledging that 50 million people died.


    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    I plan to but I can wait since I was already infected, so I should be fine for now. Not sure if I even need the vaccine if I've already been infected.
    You do.

    The vaccine produces a stronger, longer-lasting immune response than recovery alone.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  15. #21795
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    19,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I’m actually curious how many people on here plan to get the vaccine... someone should do a poll.
    Working at a School, I reckon that sooner or later I do not get a choice in the matter. Still, being young, there are many guinea pigs in front of me, so by the time they do mandate it / make it available, I will be able to make an informed decision. If everything pans out, I am not opposed to it.

  16. #21796
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    The worst part is that it could be 30% more deadly. The thing about the Spanish flu is that nobody back then took it serous. They hid the information and basically nothing was done.
    No, many hid the early information because there was a world war at that time - not because they didn't take it seriously.
    That's why it's called the Spanish flu as Spain wasn't involved in the world wars, and thus didn't hide it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    About 50 million died world wide and that's from a population of 2 billion back in 1918. We can't really use the Spanish Flu as an example unless we also want to ignore it. They expected two waves like the Spanish Flu, but we've had multiple waves.
    For the Spanish flu around the world people counted to four waves (although many countries had fewer), and the third was deadlier than the first - but weaker than the second so people tend to ignore it in the simplified telling.

    For covid-19 it's more complicated - worldwide (and in many countries) we are arguably in the first wave, and possibly at the second/third peak (if it's the third peak the second peak was quite weak) - as the cases and deaths have never dropped low. Some countries are bit different - Iran has passed the third peak; China and New Zealand have only had one wave - might be the same for India. Germany have had more of two waves.

  17. #21797
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Falun, Sweden
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I’m actually curious how many people on here plan to get the vaccine... someone should do a poll.
    I'm not getting it unless the government makes more than promises about covering costs if something goes wrong. Likewise for a lot of my coworkers.
    Last edited by Flathet; 2021-01-24 at 01:32 PM.

  18. #21798
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    56,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I’m actually curious how many people on here plan to get the vaccine... someone should do a poll.
    Yes, as soon as am able... and you’d be surprised by the poll results. People seem to think they will become experts in vaccines in the next several months, to form an educated opinion. I personally don’t have the the will or the time, so will have to trust the doctors that did the studying in a more comprehensive manner than what ever random people plan to do in a few months, to match their experience.
    As above, so below.
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    My body is a wonderland.

  19. #21799
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I’m actually curious how many people on here plan to get the vaccine... someone should do a poll.
    I'll be getting it in the next week or so. Mostly because I live with someone incredibly vulnerable, but I'd have gotten it the moment it was offered to me, anyway. Literally no reason for me not to get it. Especially since I'm classed as vulnerable (severe persistent asthma) myself.

  20. #21800
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    19,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Yes, as soon as am able... and you’d be surprised by the poll results. People seem to think they will become experts in vaccines in the next several months, to form an educated opinion. I personally don’t have the the will or the time, so will have to trust the doctors that did the studying in a more comprehensive manner than what ever random people plan to do in a few months, to match their experience.
    I'm simply waiting for a larger sample size in terms of unwanted side effects. *shrug*

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •