Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    If by "quite some time" you mean two months, then sure. If you're repeating your "we've all had it since last summer", then no.

Infectious diseases spread quickly. That's just what they do.

Novel infectious diseases spread even more quickly. Novel infectious diseases with long incubation times and some asymptomatic cases spread even more quickly than that.

Novel infectious diseases with long incubation times and some asymptomatic cases whose existence and threat are massively downplayed by the country's "leader" as well as a whole slew of radically uneducated people... well, you get the point.

- - - Updated - - -

It's still actually more like 50-100x worse even at 1%, as only ~10% of the population gets the flu each season.
    Summer ends in September so it is possible, I said late summer which implies the last week or so of September.

Regardless I am pretty sure I had it already looking back on the last month, I still have lingering dry cough from my bad throat/lung infection and all the main symptoms form their list I had extremely bad the first week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    It causes the same symptoms as the normal flu.... how is this spreading misinformation?
    Dude, you said "TECHNICALLY IS the flu" which is outright, factually, wrong. Your only downplay on that was "slightly stronger", which is also, by itself, wrong.

For the record, COVID-19 shares a few symptoms with the flu. That is all. Just like many, many other illnesses. But the differences extend far beyond the common symptoms.

The novel thing about this virus are it's method of transmission and the fact that we don't have a vaccine for it yet.
    Those things alone are worth the level of worry being espoused by every single health organization official. But you also forgot that it's massively more lethal, in addition to having lasting effects on even many of those who recover.

Not going to link shit that's all over the news and internet. Multiple sources have said the vast majority of the population is low risk and will recover from it that same way they would from the regular flu.
    The closest they're coming is saying that most people are at low risk... of dying. That's not the same thing at all.

We'll see what happens in a month, then. Not trying to be snide, just going based off the data available now. I'll revise my opinion should new/ different information come to light.
    I'm sure we all will. There's no way we know the full extent of this yet, but when every health official is saying the same thing... it's hard to ignore. And I think early prudence is warranted, because we don't want to find ourselves in the position that Italy is in. Whether it's possible to avoid that at this point is what remains to be seen.

And sensationalizing it will only make the parallel effects to the rest of world, including the economy, a lot worse than it needs to be.
    Economies can recover. The US economy, for one, was already on a bubble anyway.

I am not trying "downplay" it, if that's what it sounds like, that's not my intention. Just trying to bring the current panic dial from the current 11 down to a 7 or 8.
    The advise caution, not panic, but please don't refer to it as a "strong flu", as that plays right into the rhetoric of those who are actively trying to downplay it.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post
    I' m unable to understand why people think there's gonna be shortage of supplies.
    There's a couple of angles on this:

Firstly, in self-isolation, you can't just nip down the shops to pick up anything you run out of, you have to go with what you have in the house.

Secondly, in a more extreme scenario, absences of staff, either through quarantine restrictions or illness, means factory output is lowered, stores shut, or stuff isn't getting delivered to the shops, or maybe even gets stuck at borders.

There is a rationale to it, even if people go irrationally over the top with certain items.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Maybe I just don't notice, because I'm a prepared shopper. I will never run out of anything that people would deem "essential."

The toilet paper thing is idiotic, considering Coronavirus doesn't cause diarrhea, much less anal bleeding.
    It does cause everything a normal flu does but in much smaller percentages. some of those symptoms depends on the person, some people are just prone to diarehea when they are sick. But toilet paper wont really help, just hop in the shower since it is the ultimate bidet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post
    I' m unable to understand why people think there's gonna be shortage of supplies.

Why?

There's gonna be restrictions for people movement (99% chances in Europe) but the trucks will keep on getting to the stores with no restriction ( mostly because if population can't find supplies that's where people CAN'T stay home).

In fact all the movements governments are doing are precisely trying to guarantee people can stay home.

What's the scenario that will make stores empty? Because the only one that i can think of is precisely hoarding for months.
    The suppliers/manufacturers/distributors having outbreaks/being affected by quarantines and shutting down. You see all these various businesses telling their employees to work from home now, right?

Well a manufacturer can't tell its employees to work from home, a distribution warehouse can't tell its employees to work from home, etc... So if people start coming down with the virus in such places and they are forced to close shop for a couple weeks, that stuff isn't being made/isn't moving.

10+ Year Old Account
    The novel thing about COVID-19 is it's transmission. The infection itself causes the same symptoms as the flu. That's all I'm trying to say. That's why it's being compared to the flu.
    First of all, those are just lists of symptoms. They don't take into account the relative frequency/seriousness of each symptom. While the list may be very similar, the actual reality of the expression of those symptoms might be wildly different.

Also, symptoms are just the outward physical manifestation of the illness. Would you say that a blue Honda and a blue Tesla are both the same simply because they were both painted blue?

The point is that the symptoms are similar because both are respiratory viral diseases. But that is where the similarity ends.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Panic is almost always pointless and unproductive and in many cases outright dangerous. Keeping a level head, thinking clearly and taking measured and deliberate precautions is infinitely more effective. Being put into a situation that elevates your caution and forces you to make decisions quickly is not the same thing as a panic.

What you're calling Germany out for is being incompetent. It's not they didn't panic, they didn't do anything.
    Germany's goverment is incompetent, I know it, because I happen to live there.

Panic is useful in extreme situations, like facing 7,5 million deaths, to mobilize extraordinary ressources in beings in order to ensure their survival.
    If there ever was a moment to mobilize extraordinary ressources i'd think it would be now.

Also I don't think we are talking about the same thing. I am more under the impression that you are talking about hysteria, that is, of course, completely useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    There's a couple of angles on this:

Firstly, in self-isolation, you can't just nip down the shops to pick up anything you run out of, you have to go with what you have in the house.

Secondly, in a more extreme scenario, absences of staff, either through quarantine restrictions or illness, means factory output is lowered, stores shut, or stuff isn't getting delivered to the shops, or maybe even gets stuck at borders.

There is a rationale to it, even if people go irrationally over the top with certain items.
    Well self quarantine last 2-3 weeks not 6 months. Maybe i'm a man with simple needs but I don't know…the things i'm seeing it's not :"I'm not gonna touch the streets for 2 weeks",its more in the line of mad max.

Regarding the second point it's the thing I was saying: Italy,Spain,France,Germany…every country has assured the population that essential supplies industry is gonna keep the rythm even if they needs to mandate by law. Even if they need to intervene in that industries ( wich the state of health alarm allows them legally).

States can't in no way tell population:"Stay at home.Only go out for supplies to the supermarke every few days" and let supermarkets be empty because then….that's when people don't stay at home and wander the city store after store.

The contention strategy ( as shown in Hubei) lies in the very states taking control of that industries if supply don't match demmand wich looks really communist but A) I'ts in the EU countries constitutions ( in all the countries I cited before).It's the law and B) I don't think it's time for ideology discussion now.

I don't know, right know I'm not hoarding anything and I really think it's the responsible thing to do.
    Last edited by PrimiOne; 2020-03-13 at 04:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair enough. But that's not what I'm trying to do.
    You may be catching an excessive amount of flak because the very first words of your post were "Because it technically IS just a slightly stronger flu..."

PS. I don't think "technically" was the word you were looking for there.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    You know, that's not always a good idea. We have the ABILITY to panic for a GOOD reason. We a looking at a worst case scenario in Germany leaving 7,5 million dead according to a pandemic-scenario study, conducted by the German government in 2012.

And do you know what they did to counter the threat, to prevent millions of deaths?

Nothing.

One of the most wealthy, powerful states in the middle of Europe does exactly NOTHING to protect their citizens.
    Why write something like that? This is not remotely true. Germany is cancelling everything you can think of.

The very important part is to stretch the infection period. If you doubt if look at Italy. They have regions which have a collapse of the health system and the death numbers a really frightening. This has to be prevented at all costs!
    On the other side the normal and secure personal life is possible. Be careful but not in panic!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Summer ends in September so it is possible, I said late summer which implies the last week or so of September.

Regardless I am pretty sure I had it already looking back on the last month, I still have lingering dry cough from my bad throat/lung infection and all the main symptoms form their list I had extremely bad the first week.
    There's not a facepalm meme strong enough for this...

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Well, you live in a shitty place, because I have been in multiple stores over the past week, in two different states... and everything seemed fine.
    Maybe. But there are several other places reporting the same thing. All caused by the panic around this virus.

Except it isn't technically just a slightly stronger flu. The symptoms are not all the same, and you are deliberately pushing misinformation.

That's the point.

Hell, that's the exact same rhetoric that anti-vaxxers use on a daily basis.
    I'm basing my opinion on the facts I've seen. If there are additional ones out there that show the symptoms are different I'll revise it. I haven't seen anything yet where they claim the symptoms are different.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    The advise caution, not panic, but please don't refer to it as a "strong flu", as that plays right into the rhetoric of those who are actively trying to downplay it.
    Fair enough. Not responding to the rest, aside from saying you have good points. I'll make sure to be more clear in my messages from now on and read up more on it, as my information seems to either be a bit outdated or incomplete.

10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Djuntas;52175684]
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    counterfeits are nothing new. they exist because the cost of the item is too expensive for people so they buy what they think is a good deal when they are either getting ripped off or buying scam items. this happens all over the world not just in china. it only has the most cases because IT IS THE MOST POPULATED. mind blowing i know.

/QUOTE]

I dont hear about India, or some country in the EU making picture perfect knock-off's...so stop kidding yourself. Look few weeks ago I litterally watch a 750 dollar cloned item that some dude in youtube paid only 50 dollars for with no or little differences...He coulden't feel a thing barely...China is hustling us all the way to the bank, and now our global world.
    "i didn't hear about therefore it must not exist" LOLS are you fucking serious? you cannot possibly be this fucking ignorant. apparently you've never heard of the black market or the deep web. why is it every thread you post in your ranting and screaming about something?
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2020-03-13 at 04:08 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    Germany's goverment is incompetent, I know it, because I happen to live there.

Panic is useful in extreme situations, like facing 7,5 million deaths, to mobilize extraordinary ressources in beings in order to ensure their survival.
    If there ever was a moment to mobilize extraordinary ressources i'd think it would be now.

Also I don't think we are talking about the same thing. I am more under the impression that you are talking about hysteria, that is, of course, completely useless.
    But I wouldn't consider that "panic" that's a high pressure situation that you have to deal with. Panic is a state of mind where you literally lose your ability to think and act clearly. Panic is the opposite of what we want in this situation.

Maybe. But there are several other places reporting the same thing. All caused by the panic around this virus.

I'm basing my opinion on the facts I've seen. If there are additional ones out there that show the symptoms are different I'll revise it. I haven't seen anything yet where they claim the symptoms are different.

- - - Updated - - -

Fair enough. Not responding to the rest, aside from saying you have good points. I'll make sure to be more clear in my messages from now on and read up more on it, as my information seems to either be a bit outdated or incomplete.
    The facts are, that it is technically not the flu... now matter how many times you try to push it. The flu is not technically a cold, and pneumonia isn't technically the flu, either. The exact symptoms and severity of those symptoms differ.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoeSzyslak View Post
    Why write something like that? This is not remotely true. Germany is cancelling everything you can think of.

The very important part is to stretch the infection period. If you doubt if look at Italy. They have regions which have a collapse of the health system and the death numbers a really frightening. This has to be prevented at all costs!
    On the other side the normal and secure personal life is possible. Be careful but not in panic!
    Its not about what Germany or any country is doing now, its what they should have been doing for years.

Someone linked a video earlier in the thread with a public health/infectious disease expert being interviewed and he describes it best... We don't wait until there's a fire to buy a fire truck. We don't wait until we are already in a war to start putting together a military... Etc... We already have those things ready to go for when we need them.

But in the case of this virus or any similar public health crisis, we (the US, Western Europe, the entire world) have done almost nothing to prepare for it; and that's despite decades of various outbreaks and health authorities warning of some eventuality like this. We haven't stockpiled any necessary supplies before hand, our response plans, if they even exist, are ramshackle, many places don't have the capacity to handle what is happening at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    Ouch. Don't you have automated checkout things in stores? They exist in many stores in most Eastern European countries, so no queues and no contact with other people. Makes panic shopping much safer.
    Uh, we have plenty of self-checkout stations here, too. There are just always lines for those even in normal times. A line is a line.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Where does one draw the line between panic, and taking precautions/being prepared?
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Where does one draw the line between panic, and taking precautions/being prepared?
    Toilet paper. Definitely toilet paper.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    There's no reason to panic, but people should be taking reasonable precautions. The biggest issue right now is the lack of tests which was quite avoidable.
    Not really... tests have a high failure rate till symptoms are already showing.

I'm speaking as someone who might have to conduct these tests