10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Why don't they just make the vaccine contagious and then everyone can have it?
    I've read articles about scientists working on that premise. Not sure if that was tinfoil-hat material or whether such a thing would be possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    You forgot to add 4head there.

Other than that, it needs a decade or two of clean track record to even begin thinking about something crazy like that.

Because you would not want someone that can't get a shot (for medical reasons) to 'catch' the vaccine. And you would not want the vaccine to mute.
    Last edited by Specialka; 2021-08-20 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I've read articles about scientists working on that premise. Not sure if that was tinfoil-hat material or whether such a thing would be possible.
    Sounds very tin foil. Sounds exactly like the people worried about spike protein shedding. Would it be possible? In the sense that you could do it, maybe. It would require making a spreadable virus though, and people who work to prevent infectious diseases aren't big on releasing new strains of infectious diseases, as they've generally heard of the concept of evolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Because it wouldn't stop at vaccines.

Since the vaccine is leaky, and you can still get sick (though not as often terminally sick), but most important of all still spread it to others, does this mean that we will never go back to an open society? Or at least have a few years more of this bullshit until they come up with a vaccine that doesn't let the virus spread to others and makes you completely immune?

I'm getting my 2nd dose in 3 weeks, since we wait 7 weeks here in Sweden between doses, and I'm starving to go to hockey games and, most of all, concerts. Not those corona concerts where you have to stand 2 meters from each other, real punk and rock concerts with mosh pits where people smash right into each other and push around.
    I also miss proper visits to the pub where you could walk around and talk to other groups of people, not being forced to stay at your table.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    With so many people not getting vaccinated we likely won’t see any kind of herd immunity from the virus for quite awhile, so I suspect we’ll have to just deal with it in an open society, knowing that it will likely make more variants.

Nothing you can do, I guess. People are gonna do what they wanna do…
    I was hoping for life to go back to like it used to, at least for those of us who can and have vaccinated, but now I hear I will have to keep a distance and, at least ideally, still wear a mask and follow restrictions.

What kind of vaccine is this? Don't 99.99999% of every other vaccine make you immune and unable to spread the disease once you've had your vaccine, st least temporarily?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    I was hoping for life to go back to like it used to, at least for those of us who can and have vaccinated, but now I hear I will have to keep a distance and, at least ideally, still wear a mask and follow restrictions.

What kind of vaccine is this? Don't 99.99999% of every other vaccine make you immune and unable to spread the disease once you've had your vaccine, st least temporarily?
    Depends on the virus, and how it manages to mutate, I'd imagine. Flu vaccinations don't usually last longer than the flu season, either. Which is about 6 months. Covid is also a very new virus, which is probably also a factor.

Reading further, Smallpox apparently also had a form, that was generally seen in vaccinated people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallpox

It took a couple hundred years of vaccinating, before Smallpox was considered eradicated, in 1980.
    Last edited by Santti; 2021-08-20 at 02:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

15+ Year Old Account
    Surprise surprise, anti vaxxers and anti maskers have indirectly been responsible for all these new strains, and we're back to where we were exactly 1 year ago, wearing masks and worrying that our asthmatic parents with heart problems might die if they get covid all because some fucking dumbass 3head shit stain far right anti-vaxxers are too dumb to know the difference between a public health issue and a political issue.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Not really, it actually seems common - but poorly understood.

Some inactivated vaccines can cause you to spread the disease - like Polio.
    Many vaccines are such a poor fit that they don't protect you from getting ill - like seasonal flu vaccines that sometimes are just 20% effective.
    It may be common for measles-vaccines as well https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9829639/

So, it might be that it happens for all vaccines - it's just that people normally don't care so much - as the risk is acceptably low.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, anyone have a guess as to just who is responsible for why Texas is doing so bad with Coronavirus?

Well, according to Dan Patrick (TX Lt. Gov.) it's, and I quote "All the African American's fault."

This is where we are, huh.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Surprise surprise, anti vaxxers and anti maskers have indirectly been responsible for all these new strains
    They don't seem to be responsible for creating them - just for spreading them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    So, anyone have a guess as to just who is responsible for why Texas is doing so bad with Coronavirus?

Well, according to Dan Patrick (TX Lt. Gov.) it's, and I quote "All the African American's fault."
    Well, in the US actually being African American's is the 2nd most significant indicator of not getting vaccinated - so there is some minor grain of truth in it.

It's just that most significant indicator is voting for Trump; https://www.economist.com/united-sta...gainst-the-jab Note: not conservative - or republican, but specifically Trump-voter.

Yeah, 12% of Texas population is causing all of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post

Well, in the US actually being African American's is the 2nd most significant indicator of not getting vaccinated - so there is some minor grain of truth in it.

It's just that most significant indicator is voting for Trump; https://www.economist.com/united-sta...gainst-the-jab Note: not conservative - or republican, but specifically Trump-voter.
    It's dishonest when AA only make up 12% of the Texas population.

10+ Year Old Account

I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess there are more unvaccinated white people in Texas than there are African Americans in Texas, period.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Shocking that the Death Cult is also racist and stupid. Very shocking.

I hate Death Cults.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Shocking that the Death Cult is also racist and stupid. Very shocking.

I hate Death Cults.
    This is pretty blatant even for them. Usually they choose a more faceless “vague other” like immigrants to victimize or, if they’re trying to blame African Americans, refer to them in terms of “you know who”
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    This is pretty blatant even for them. Usually they choose a more faceless “vague other” like immigrants to victimize or, if they’re trying to blame African Americans, refer to them in terms of “you know who”
    Brown people are bringing covid! *There's no data to support this*

Black people are responsible for covid! *There's no data to support this*

Man, I guess covid itself isn't racist, but the people who deny covid is serious are pretty racist. Death Cults are whack, yo.

No such animal. A vaccine is only as good as the host body initial immune system, and that varies quite a bit depending on genetic, age, diet, obesity level, health, etc.

Smallpox vaccine has a very high efficacy rate of 95% which was good since smallpox was highly contagious. MMR is 99% effective against measles and rubella, and 88% against mump. Again good, since measles has an R0 of 15. If it ever drop below 90%, we will likely have a measles outbreak. Whooping coughs vaccine is only 80% effective and need a second dose after 4 years to stay that effective. Flu vaccine is only 50% effective. Although it is around 80% effective against severe cases. I recalled reading research papers that people that regularly take their annual flu shots have much higher immunity.

Age is a factor in vaccine efficacy. Massachusetts has one of the highest breakthrough case rate in the US. The health department reported 12,641 breakthrough cases, 496 breakthrough hospitalizations and 124 breakthrough death. The median age of those who died is 81.7 years.

Obesity which creates a heightened inflammatory state in the body may exhaust the immune system making it less able to respond to the vaccines.

The list goes on and on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Brown people are bringing covid! *There's no data to support this*

Black people are responsible for covid! *There's no data to support this*

Man, I guess covid itself isn't racist, but the people who deny covid is serious are pretty racist. Death Cults are whack, yo.
    First they said it was yellow people (asians), then brown, now black. If we're gonna be honest, it was an orange guy who got us here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.