1. #24461
    Quote Originally Posted by JarJarBinks View Post
    i have a free will and healthy life

    edit to you all, if im full of shit and a troll why bother responding? did i strike some kind of nerve? does the underlying, subconsious truth sting?
    Nothing you have said was the truth. You are just trying to get the fucking virus to spread, and mutate, to make the vaccines fucking useless. If we get them vaccinated now, we will have less variants that are less deadly.

  2. #24462
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    19,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    BTW: It's only number of cases declining so far, deaths still seem to be increasing (but it is lagging) - I couldn't find new statistics for hospital admissions yet.
    Obviously, deaths lag behind roughly a month.
    It'll be interesting to see if the trend holds or whether we get a massive surge in 1-2 weeks.

  3. #24463
    https://www.newsweek.com/louisiana-g...-1612933?amp=1

    Death Cultist who got the virus once, refuses to get the vaccine, gets the virus a second time. Blames the Chinese because he's too fucking retarded to get a tested and safe vaccine.

    We've got people in hospital ICU's with the virus struggling to breathe still denying that it's a deadly virus and still angrily asserting that they'll never get vaxxed. We may have to live with this as a perpetually mutating virus in a permanent state of semi-lockdowns because people believe bullshit lies and can't think of anyone outside of themselves. And they're the very people upset that we have mask mandates and lockdowns that could be avoided moving forward if they just got the fuckin vaccine.

  4. #24464
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.newsweek.com/louisiana-g...-1612933?amp=1

    Death Cultist who got the virus once, refuses to get the vaccine, gets the virus a second time. Blames the Chinese because he's too fucking retarded to get a tested and safe vaccine.

    We've got people in hospital ICU's with the virus struggling to breathe still denying that it's a deadly virus and still angrily asserting that they'll never get vaxxed. We may have to live with this as a perpetually mutating virus in a permanent state of semi-lockdowns because people believe bullshit lies and can't think of anyone outside of themselves. And they're the very people upset that we have mask mandates and lockdowns that could be avoided moving forward if they just got the fuckin vaccine.
    To be fair covid needs to be tackled globally, unfortunately some nations are too poor to get enough vaccine and other nations simply have too many deranged anti vaxxers, so it will never go away.

  5. #24465
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    To be fair covid needs to be tackled globally, unfortunately some nations are too poor to get enough vaccine and other nations simply have too many deranged anti vaxxers, so it will never go away.
    Vaccines are going to poorer nations, thankfully. They really need to both for humanitarian reasons and for simple economic reasons - those nations may be small/poor but many are important to global supply chains or as markets for goods and services. It's literally in the interest of first world nations to share vaccines globally, even before their whole population is vaccinated.

  6. #24466
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Vaccines are going to poorer nations, thankfully. They really need to both for humanitarian reasons and for simple economic reasons - those nations may be small/poor but many are important to global supply chains or as markets for goods and services. It's literally in the interest of first world nations to share vaccines globally, even before their whole population is vaccinated.
    They still don't get enough, every last person on this planet needs to be vaccinated at least once a year, for several years in a row, if we even want to hope to get this under control, but even then chances are, we are going to get a mutated strain capable of bypassing immunity.

    I'd say humanity has already fucked up, covid is here to stay.

  7. #24467
    Pit Lord Tuor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Valinor
    Posts
    2,477
    Not a vaccine but a treatment to Covid-19

    In portuguese
    https://24.sapo.pt/atualidade/artigo...tar-a-covid-19

    Google translated
    A Japanese company has started clinical trials of a pill to treat covid-19, joining Pfizer and Germany's Merck in the race to find a drug for the disease.

    Shionogi announced that it has started clinical trials of a drug designed to neutralize the new coronavirus in less than a week, according to The Wall Street Journal (WSJ).

    Known for the drug Crestor for cholesterol, the Japanese drugmaker emphasizes that it is still testing the drug and the side effects that arise from the trials that began this month — and that will probably continue until next year.

    "Our goal is a safe oral compound," revealed Isao Teshirogi, chief executive of Shionogi, who added that the intention is to create a pill capable of neutralizing the virus five days after a patient takes it.

    The Japanese is, however, behind in relation to Pfizer and Merck, which are already at a more advanced stage in this type of tests on tablets. Pfizer, for example, began in March in the United States an early-stage trial of an oral antiviral therapy against covid-19. According to the pharmacist, the drug is to be prescribed to patients at the first sign of infection.

    Shionogi hopes to have 50 to 100 healthy subjects in its trial in Japan, but the company believes that a larger trial, with more patients receiving placebo, could take place later this year.

    According to the WSJ, the failure rate of drug trials is generally high. Any side effect, even if it's not particularly serious, such as nausea, could make a covid-19 pill not viable for home use — the primary intent of these trials.

    Both Pfizer and Shionogi tablets are protease inhibitors that stop the virus from replicating in the infected patient's cells. These inhibitors have been effective in the treatment of other viral pathogens, such as the HIV virus or the hepatitis C virus, either alone or in combination with other antivirals.

    However, unlike vaccines, the rapid development of specific drugs to treat covid-19 does not look so promising, which leads the European Medicines Agency to focus on six drugs based on antivirals and antibodies.

    For now, the European regulator only approved, in June 2020, the antiviral remdesivir for the treatment of covid-19 in adults and adolescents from 12 years of age and with pneumonia, who require supplemental oxygen.


  8. #24468
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Not a vaccine but a treatment to Covid-19

    In portuguese
    https://24.sapo.pt/atualidade/artigo...tar-a-covid-19

    Google translated
    It may work - and it would be good if it did, but it is only phase I so even if it works it will take a bit of time.

    However, Shionogi has a disappointing track-record against covid-19 so far (possibly over-hyping their pipe-line) - about a year ago they claimed to be ready to ramp up production of their vaccine (subunit) https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Pha...for-30m-people (and they have now quadrupled down on it) It is not yet in phase III trial as far as I can see, and I don't see that it will be tested and approved this year.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    They still don't get enough, every last person on this planet needs to be vaccinated at least once a year, for several years in a row, if we even want to hope to get this under control, but even then chances are, we are going to get a mutated strain capable of bypassing immunity.
    And yearly vaccines in developing countries seems like a no-starter, as the mRNA seem to costly (the cold storage part seem more or less solved though) and the viral vector ones don't seem suitable for repeated vaccinations, and no other vaccines seem as efficient.

    Yearly vaccinations may also be for the rulers, as they usually seem to have a high risk of serious covid-19 due to risk-factors.

    As an example in the DRC parliament already in May 5% of the members (32 persons) had died to covid-19, https://www.msn.com/en-xl/africa/afr...ent/ar-AAKtMDj
    The official total death count in DRC is 1,023.

    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    I'd say humanity has already fucked up, covid is here to stay.
    Yup.

  9. #24469
    All Kimberly Cooley wants to do is hug her 6-year-old nephews – and she can’t because tens of millions of Americans are choosing not to get vaccinated against Covid-19.

    Cooley received two doses of Pfizer’s Covid-19 vaccine in February, but blood tests show the shots didn’t give her antibodies against the virus.

    That’s because, like millions of Americans, Cooley takes medications to suppress her immune system. A study to be published Monday by Johns Hopkins researchers found that vaccinated immunocompromised people like her are 485 times more likely to end up in the hospital or die from Covid-19 compared to the general population that is vaccinated.
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/26/healt...nts/index.html

    Get. The. Jab.

  10. #24470
    Pit Lord Tuor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Valinor
    Posts
    2,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    It may work - and it would be good if it did, but it is only phase I so even if it works it will take a bit of time.

    However, Shionogi has a disappointing track-record against covid-19 so far (possibly over-hyping their pipe-line) - about a year ago they claimed to be ready to ramp up production of their vaccine (subunit) https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Pha...for-30m-people (and they have now quadrupled down on it) It is not yet in phase III trial as far as I can see, and I don't see that it will be tested and approved this year.
    Read the article, other pharmaceuticals, and that includes Pfizer are on the track.

    This med uses the principle used by some other antivirals. Controlling the way the virus reproduces and diminishing the viral charge means the virus will be under control. Acciclovir uses the same principle for Herpes and varicella. Acciclovir is not hable to kill the virus, but in the case of covid-19 the virus will disapear after a couple of weeks.


  11. #24471
    Doctors Worry That Memory Problems After COVID-19 May Set The Stage For Alzheimer's
    What scientists have found so far is concerning.

    For example, PET scans taken before and after a person develops COVID-19 suggest that the infection can cause changes that overlap those seen in Alzheimer's. And genetic studies are finding that some of the same genes that increase a person's risk for getting severe COVID-19 also increase the risk of developing Alzheimer's.

    Alzheimer's diagnoses also appear to be more common in patients in their 60s and 70s who have had severe COVID-19, says Dr. Gabriel de Erausquin, a professor of neurology at UT Health San Antonio. "It's downright scary," he says.

    And de Erausquin and his colleagues have noticed that mental problems seem to be more common in COVID-19 patients who lose their sense of smell, perhaps because the disease has affected a brain area called the olfactory bulb.

    "Persistent lack of smell, it's associated with brain changes not just in the olfactory bulb but those places that are connected one way or another to the smell sense," he says.

    Those places include areas involved in memory, thinking, planning and mood.

    COVID-19's effects on the brain also seem to vary with age, de Erausquin says. People in their 30s seem more likely to develop anxiety and depression.

    "In older people, people over 60, the foremost manifestation is forgetfulness," he says. "These folks tend to forget where they placed things, they tend to forget names, they tend to forget phone numbers. They also have trouble with language; they begin forgetting words."

    The symptoms are similar to those of early Alzheimer's, and doctors sometimes describe these patients as having an Alzheimer's-like syndrome that can persist for many months.


    Hopefully Covid virus does not behave like HPV virus, and 10 years from now we won't see a surge early onset of Alzheimer patients. Considering the number of people that had serious case of Covid infection, the number will be devastating.

  12. #24472
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    19,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    We've got people in hospital ICU's with the virus struggling to breathe still denying that it's a deadly virus and still angrily asserting that they'll never get vaxxed. We may have to live with this as a perpetually mutating virus in a permanent state of semi-lockdowns because people believe bullshit lies and can't think of anyone outside of themselves.
    With the majority vaccinated, it'll end up being like the flu. It will kill a few thousand each year and in some countries it may bring healthcare to it's limits during the spikes but that's it.

    I seriously doubt that the governments will lock down for this again unless it gets much worse. Economic costs are simply too high in the long run.

  13. #24473
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    With the majority vaccinated, it'll end up being like the flu.
    The flu is not this deadly, nor does it have such long-lasting side effects.

    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    It will kill a few thousand each year and in some countries it may bring healthcare to it's limits during the spikes but that's it.
    I mean...what makes you believe this as we're seeing that we have pretty solid vaccination rates but still have clusters of low vaccinated groups packing hospitals? When they're still infecting vaccinated folks who, thankfully, are largely protected against symptoms and getting hospitalized, but can still get the virus and die from it in extremely rare cases.

    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I seriously doubt that the governments will lock down for this again unless it gets much worse. Economic costs are simply too high in the long run.
    I mean, if this current trend keeps up and, heaven forbid, we find variants that vaccines don't effectively protect against from some reason (increasingly likely as all the unvaccinated continue getting the virus, spreading it, and creating more opportunities for mutation) and we're back to square one.

    This continued attempt to normalize the virus is weird to me. It ain't fuckin normal.

  14. #24474
    Pit Lord Tuor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Valinor
    Posts
    2,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean, if this current trend keeps up and, heaven forbid, we find variants that vaccines don't effectively protect against from some reason (increasingly likely as all the unvaccinated continue getting the virus, spreading it, and creating more opportunities for mutation) and we're back to square one.
    Letting the virus to mutate until it becomes harmless, like other coronavirus is perhaps the best strategy for the time being. No one is going to controll this virus.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This continued attempt to normalize the virus is weird to me. It ain't fuckin normal.
    No one is trying to normalise a tragedy. We had our chance of erradicating this bastard and we lost it. Economy can't handle the restrictions, and we need supplies to keep going on.


  15. #24475
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean, if this current trend keeps up and, heaven forbid, we find variants that vaccines don't effectively protect against from some reason (increasingly likely as all the unvaccinated continue getting the virus, spreading it, and creating more opportunities for mutation) and we're back to square one.
    That will happen regardless.

    World-wide 27% have begun their vaccination and 13% are fully vaccinated, but to a large extent with vaccines that aren't good enough to be approved in the US or EU. And vaccines have a lot more sliding scale than working/not working - so even if there's need for a booster dose that may only be needed for the ones most at risk.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This continued attempt to normalize the virus is weird to me. It ain't fuckin normal.
    We are getting to the new normal.

  16. #24476
    Good to see the VA step up and force the issue

    Of course the MAGAloids are not happy and they are all saying people should sue. Funny, as expected they didn't bother to see that people already tried it and lost in the past all the way up to the SCOTUS





    https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...health-workers

    The Department of Veterans Affairs will require its front-line health care workers to be vaccinated against COVID-19, a move that comes as vaccine mandates from employers are on the rise.

    “I am doing this because it’s the best way to keep our veterans safe, full stop,” Denis McDonough, the secretary of Veterans Affairs, told The New York Times in an interview.

    The move will apply to 115,000 employees who have the most "patient-facing" jobs, the Times reported, and they will have eight weeks to get the shots if they have not already.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

  17. #24477
    I am Murloc! PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    5,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Letting the virus to mutate until it becomes harmless, like other coronavirus
    Uh... that's not really what happened. The other coronaviruses didn't simply mutate to become harmless. They've just been around for so long that everyone gets sick from them as a child with a stronger immune system and then get reinfected periodically as we age, so that we always have the ability to produce antibodies.

    SARS-CoV-2 is so dangerous, at least in part, because it's novel, meaning that it's affecting older and more immuno-compromized people who don't have the benefit of having been exposed to it at a safer age.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    No one is trying to normalise a tragedy. We had our chance of erradicating this bastard and we lost it. Economy can't handle the restrictions, and we need supplies to keep going on.
    The economy can't handle protracted full lockdowns, but it sure as hell can handle some basic preventative precautions. I think we have ample proof of that by now.

    It's like those numskull posters here who were warning about every country becoming a "nation of paupers", while unironically trying to pretend that everyone else was the one living in fear.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This continued attempt to normalize the virus is weird to me. It ain't fuckin normal.
    I mean, it's inevitable. That doesn't, however, mean we can't or shouldn't continue efforts to mitigate the damage, especially considering that this normalization is realistically years or even a decade or more out.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  18. #24478
    Pit Lord Tuor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Valinor
    Posts
    2,477
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post


    The economy can't handle protracted full lockdowns, but it sure as hell can handle some basic preventative precautions. I think we have ample proof of that by now.
    One moron that doesn't accomplish the recomendation is enought so that the virus keeps spreading, and sadly we not talking of a single moron. We need to learn how to deal with the virus. I've always defended restrictions, but those require us to keep acting has a group, sadly that isn't happening, most people can't handle the fact that their lives are restricted for too long, even supporters like me.

    We need to handle it, we need to learn how to live with the virus.


  19. #24479
    I am Murloc! PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    5,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    One moron that doesn't accomplish the recomendation is enought so that the virus keeps spreading
    That's not really how sustained transmission works, either.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    I've always defended restrictions, but those require us to keep acting has a group, sadly that isn't happening
    Even without 100% compliance, it can still be worthwhile. It's not an all-or-nothing proposition.

    And at least here in the US, giving up and giving in to the stupid people around us would mean things like another Trump presidency as just the tip of the iceberg.

    So no thanks.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    We need to handle it, we need to learn how to live with the virus.
    "Handling it" means abiding by sensible precautions while the virus is still novel. That will not last forever, but we're not past it yet.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  20. #24480
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The flu is not this deadly, nor does it have such long-lasting side effects.



    I mean...what makes you believe this as we're seeing that we have pretty solid vaccination rates but still have clusters of low vaccinated groups packing hospitals? When they're still infecting vaccinated folks who, thankfully, are largely protected against symptoms and getting hospitalized, but can still get the virus and die from it in extremely rare cases.



    I mean, if this current trend keeps up and, heaven forbid, we find variants that vaccines don't effectively protect against from some reason (increasingly likely as all the unvaccinated continue getting the virus, spreading it, and creating more opportunities for mutation) and we're back to square one.

    This continued attempt to normalize the virus is weird to me. It ain't fuckin normal.
    Dutch hospitals had to stop/stagger (still do) regular healthcare. Normal waiting time for a MDL doctors is about 6-8 weeks.. now its 12+ weeks. Not to forget: They actually had to lower the amount of people with cardiovascular issues. (operations etc) You could make a case that the last 20 years of healthcare budget cuts nad privatisation of hospitals did a thing. But still.
    ''With this attack, we have no choice but to protect our kind by unleashing our almighty weapon upon them. Summoning the Apocalypse'' - Stellaris Apocalypse trailer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •