Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Yeah, literally from your quote:
    From my quote, i think you missed this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    ,,,but is still under investigation

From my quote, i think you missed this one.
    You need to go back and actually read the quote that started this...

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Well, if the new Lambda strain is immune to all the vaccines...
    It's not.
    We don't know... Yet.
    Yes, we absolutely, unequivocally, 100% know for a fact that lambda is not "immune to all vaccines". It only took the vaccines working against lambda one time to answer that question definitively.

And lambda is a non-issue right now because it's quantifiably continuing to lose ground to delta. Like I said in another thread:
    Lambda is still a non-issue. It doesn't really matter if it's more vaccine resistant unless it propagates. And it's not propagating. It's been around for the same amount of time as delta (since December 2020), and yet its share of the current sampling in the US is only 0.2%, whereas delta is over 90%. Clearly, delta is the most aggressively propagating variant and is pushing the rest out. This is why delta is listed as a variant of concern (VoC) and lambda is only a variant of interest (VoI).

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Man can you imagine? Schools force weird and strict dress codes for their students, but then claim that it would be infringing on the student's rights to require them to wear masks. I guess demanding a dress code or uniform is just fine for infringing on student's freedoms, but masks? NO CAN DO, THAT'S A LIBERAL CONSPIRACY TO STEAL OUR FREEDUMBS!
    "Nazis are like cats. If they like you, it's probably because you're feeding them." -John Oliver
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I don't care if he committed tax fraud. Scoring political victories and crushing the aspirations of your political opponents is more important than adhering to moral principles.
    Knadra finally just admitting Trumpkins care more about political victories than morals.

According to my states dashboard, we got mostly vast majority as Alpha here, and a bit of Gamma, not much Delta, almost no Beta, Epsilon was VOC but that just idk disappeared or something like 2 weeks ago. But Covid is mostly amongst the corn right now, and Lambda can stay with the nerds.

http://www.dph.illinois.gov/covid19/variants

Edit- keep in mind there is even a higher step then voc and none of them are there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    According to my states dashboard, we got mostly vast majority as Alpha here, and a bit of Gamma, not much Delta, almost no Beta, Epsilon was VOC but that just idk disappeared or something like 2 weeks ago. But Covid is mostly amongst the corn right now, and Lambda can stay with the nerds.

http://www.dph.illinois.gov/covid19/variants

Edit- keep in mind there is even a higher step then voc and none of them are there yet.
    Your link appears to be down atm, but according to a cached page from a few days ago, it looks like delta got a late start and is now growing rapidly. No other variants are growing, except for a tiny growth in alpha, though we have ample proof that delta will start pushing out the alpha before too long.

The CDC's variant data shows that delta has a 92.6% majority in Region #5 (Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin), so I doubt Illinois will be very far behind the rest.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Your link appears to be down atm, but according to a cached page from a few days ago, it looks like delta got a late start and is now growing rapidly. No other variants are growing, except for a tiny growth in alpha, though we have ample proof that delta will start pushing out the alpha before too long.

The CDC's variant data shows that delta has a 92.6% majority in Region #5 (Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin), so I doubt Illinois will be very far behind the rest.
    Yeah delta definitely picking up steam, but as I said covid is amongst the corn here, meaning most cases are sparsely populated farmland downstate. Hope it stays down there cause I read that a couple epidemiologists saying delta variant maybe the most contagious virus ever, which is pretty fucking terrifying

According to the Wellcome Sanger Institute Delta now accounts for 100% of the Covid cases in the UK.

https://twitter.com/Simmons__/status...07920601784375

It's not. Again, lambda is a non-issue right now.
    It almost seems as if the Delta Variant is the best friend humanity could have asked for. If the Delta Variant did not exist, the Lambda and the other new virus would pick up stream and be much more vaccine resistant.

Another way to look at it is: Lambda came for the vaccinated, Delta came for the un-vaccinated. The un-vaccinated worked successfully to spread Delta fast and far enough so that Delta defeated Lambda, and the un-vaccinated will be the ones to suffer huge numbers of virus deaths instead of the vaccinated.

I went to UCSF with my wife this morning. Ended up being part of the study because they thought I might have been asymptomatic. The doctor used to go to school with my sister in Lomalinda, so I have known her for a long time. Very chatty Cathy.

She explained that the Delta variant has the ability to fool the antibodies. By design, antibodies are picky, attaching only to a small number of places on a virus’ spike protein on the surface of the virus cells. Mutating viruses, like the Delta variant, can change their spike protein and leave the antibodies without a target. T-cells, unlike antibodies which swarm the viruses directly, hunt for already infected cells. They look for and chow down the entire viral genome. T-cells can’t prevent infection, but they can limit the spread in the body. T-cells are also much harder to fool. So far, in vitro, they have not found a variant that can do that. Including Lambda.

At least that’s the theory behind why, despite the breakthrough cases, hospitalization among fully vaccinated segment of the US population is near zero. The UCSF study that we are in is trying to confirm that.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-08-10 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    It almost seems as if the Delta Variant is the best friend humanity could have asked for. If the Delta Variant did not exist, the Lambda and the other new virus would pick up stream and be much more vaccine resistant.
    To be fair, delta is also moderately resistant to vaccines. It remains to be seen just how much more resistant lambda is than delta, but it's not like we're getting off scot-free here. There's also no guarantee that delta won't mutate and pick up more vaccine resistance down the line, just like there's nothing to guarantee that if delta weren't around, that lambda wouldn't have mutated and found some of delta's transmissibility. We know that viruses like these have certain mutations that are more likely to occur than others, as we've seen the same mutations pop up separately in many different variants. Let's just hope that we finally get a real handle on this pandemic before something like that happens.

But, yeah, that means that lambda is, for now at least, a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    Another way to look at it is: Lambda came for the vaccinated, Delta came for the un-vaccinated. The un-vaccinated worked successfully to spread Delta fast and far enough so that Delta defeated Lambda, and the un-vaccinated will be the ones to suffer huge numbers of virus deaths instead of the vaccinated.
    That is a... morbidly interesting... way to put it, sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I went to UCSF with my wife this morning. Ended up being part of the study because they thought I might have been asymptomatic. The doctor used to go to school with my sister in Lomalinda, so I have known her for a long time. Very chatty Cathy.

She explained that the Delta variant has the ability to fool the antibodies. By design, antibodies are picky, attaching only to a small number of places on a virus’ spike protein on the surface of the virus cells. Mutating viruses, like the Delta variant, can change their spike protein and leave the antibodies without a target. T-cells, unlike antibodies which swarm the viruses directly, hunt for already infected cells. They look for and chow down the entire viral genome. T-cells can’t prevent infection, but they can limit the spread in the body. T-cells are also much harder to fool. So far, in vitro, they have not found a variant that can do that. Including Lambda.

At least that’s the theory behind why, despite the breakthrough cases, hospitalization among fully vaccinated segment of the US population is near zero. The UCSF study that we are in is trying to confirm that.
    I guess that really is the best of both worlds, then.

Or at least it would be, if everyone were vaccinated.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Hope it stays down there cause I read that a couple epidemiologists saying delta variant maybe the most contagious virus ever, which is pretty fucking terrifying
    Not sure where on earth they got their info from but its nowhere near the case. Current estimates for Delta have an R0 of 6 with an upper R0 of 9. There are loads of viruses with a higher R0, eg chicken pox is 10-12 and measles is a massive 16-18.

...Marburg virus being contained in Guinea, and then there's CDC investigating two deaths from rare bacterial disease only found in tropical climates

The CDC announced a new fatal case of melioidosis, also known as Whitmore's disease, that occurred in Georgia, joining three other cases in three different states - Texas, Kansas and Minnesota - which all appear to closely match through genome sequencing.

Although there seems to be a common source for the cases, none of the infected individuals had traveled internationally, which is odd, however, as the strains seem to be linked to those found in South Asia.

"The bacteria normally lives in moist soil and water. However, in rare cases, it has also been found to contaminate wet or moist products in the areas where the bacteria are common," they added.

Two of the four cases have proved fatal, while the other two patients survived.

One of the patients was a 4-year-old girl from Texas who was on a ventilator for weeks and has brain damage from the disease, The Dallas Morning News reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Wezmon View Post
    Not sure where on earth they got their info from but its nowhere near the case. Current estimates for Delta have an R0 of 6 with an upper R0 of 9. There are loads of viruses with a higher R0, eg chicken pox is 10-12 and measles is a massive 16-18.
    Top epidemiologist: Delta variant is 'maybe the most contagious virus' ever

Though headline is misleading a bit.

I guess that really is the best of both worlds, then.

Or at least it would be, if everyone were vaccinated.

Yep. The mRNA vaccines are ridiculously good beyond the wildest expectations. The study is also trying to determine if after a Delta variant breakthrough case the B-cells will start producing antibodies that recognize the Delta variant spike protein. Thus prevent future infection by Delta variant.

More than a bit; he says 'most contagious in living memory' - but I'm pretty sure that measles and chickenpox/shingles are within living memory - as people actually get those diseases today; and generally seen as more contagious. Technically they are only that contagious among unvaccinated group that haven't been previously exposed and don't take pre-cautions - the same applies to covid-19.

I'm so tired of seeing all these anti-vax and conspiracy theorist freaks all over news comment sections everywhere, and infesting social media with their bullshit. It's maddening and exhausting but you can't just let them get away with it unchallenged. The one consolation is that they're in an ever-shrinking minority but you wouldn't know it from the sheer volume of noise they make.

It appears that not everybody will kowtow to De Santis.

Florida School Official Willing to Face DeSantis' Financial Risks in Order to Require Masks

"It's better for us to take the financial risk than to put the safety and health of 29,000 students and 4,000 staff members," Alachua County School Board Vice Chair Tina Certain told Newsweek. "I stand by that."

In a statement made Tuesday, Miami-Dade County Public Schools' superintendent Alberto Carvalho said, "At no point shall I allow my decision to be influenced by a threat to my paycheck, a small price to pay considering the gravity of this issue and the potential impact to the health and well-being of our students and dedicated employees."

Florida’s [COVID] Death Toll Now Exceeds DeSantis’ Margin of Victory.

Motherfucking GQP dipshit ass-clowns killing children for their own political gain. Fucker needs to be in jail at this point. He's also literally threatening to not pay school administrators if they try and put a mask requirement.

How do you spell treason? GQP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    It appears that not everybody will kowtow to De Santis.

Florida School Official Willing to Face DeSantis' Financial Risks in Order to Require Masks

"It's better for us to take the financial risk than to put the safety and health of 29,000 students and 4,000 staff members," Alachua County School Board Vice Chair Tina Certain told Newsweek. "I stand by that."

In a statement made Tuesday, Miami-Dade County Public Schools' superintendent Alberto Carvalho said, "At no point shall I allow my decision to be influenced by a threat to my paycheck, a small price to pay considering the gravity of this issue and the potential impact to the health and well-being of our students and dedicated employees."
    Unsung heroes here.

DeSantis is playing chicken with Covid.

HHS reported 15,169 inpatient beds in use for COVID-19, an increase of 1,192 from Monday’s report. And that statistical leap came from 231 hospitals, 20 fewer than were reporting to HHS the previous day. So the average number of COVID-19 patients per hospital shot from 55.7 to 65.7.

That represents 27.6% of the hospital patients in those 231 hospitals. Nationally, 10.1% of patients are hospitalized for COVID-19.

Intensive care units reported a congruent increase, of 2725 patients to 3,060. That’s 47.2% of those hospitals’ ICU beds, compared with 21.3% across the United States.

Also, there are 73,300 beds in use for COVID-19 in the U.S., meaning Florida accounts for 20.7% of the nation’s COVID-19 hospital patients. The state has 17.9% of the country’s 17,140 COVID-19 patients in ICU beds.

It's not. Again, lambda is a non-issue right now.
    https://www.verywellhealth.com/lambd...stance-5195973
    https://www.infectioncontroltoday.co...nt-to-vaccines

Two studies saying otherwise. Both stating that it may be highly resistant and able to bypass the neutralizing antibodies in the vaccines. One as recently as 6 days ago. Its still under investigation. If it gains traction, it could be bad. Heck, the delta variant could still mutate to do the same thing, as its having far more chances to spread right now. We shouldn't be doing "non-issue right now" bs. We are in a pandemic, where its still mutating to potentially make the vaccines we have a moot point. Back to square 1 at that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?