Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    sip
    Can you imagine deploying a few thousand soldiers half way across the globe to some shitty hell hole where one sip of water will give you explosive diarrhea, fever, blindness and hallucinations all at the same time just to have half of them sick within a week in cramped quarters just because half your troops "don't believe in germ theory"?

History is choke full of armies being wiped out by disease, unsurprising they were always an early adopters of mandatory inoculations.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2021-09-14 at 03:46 AM.

Vaccinated pregnant women pass antibodies to their babies

Women who receive COVID-19 mRNA vaccines produced by Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna while in their third trimester of pregnancy generate a strong immune response and pass protective antibodies through umbilical cord blood to their babies, according to a study conducted by Weill Cornell Medicine and NewYork-Presbyterian researchers, published April 28 in Obstetrics & Gynecology.

Researchers studied 122 women who received the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna mRNA vaccine during pregnancy and analyzed the antibody response mounted upon vaccination. They also assessed the presence of antibodies in the cord blood of babies born to these women at the time of birth. The research demonstrated that 99% of newborns had protective antibodies after their mothers received both vaccine doses, and 44% of babies had antibodies after one dose.

“Receiving two doses prior to birth will increase the likelihood that antibodies are transferred to the baby,” said lead study author Dr. Malavika Prabhu, associate director of labor and delivery at Weill Cornell Medicine and at NewYork-Presbyterian Alexandra Cohen Hospital for Women and Newborns. “This finding is encouraging for pregnant women who want to protect both themselves and their newborn against COVID-19.”

The researchers also found that vaccination led to antibody production in pregnant women as early as five days after the first dose, while the transfer of antibodies through the placenta to the baby occurred as early as 16 days after the first dose. The researchers also observed that the higher the maternal antibody levels, the higher the newborn antibody levels, and that the chances of having detectable antibodies in the mother and in their neonates increase with time elapsed since vaccination.

“The study suggests that women who are pregnant shouldn’t delay getting both vaccine doses if they have access to vaccination,” said senior study author Dr. Yawei Jenny Yang, assistant professor of pathology and laboratory medicine at Weill Cornell Medicine and an assistant attending pathologist at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center. “Ensuring an adequate amount of time between vaccination and birth ensures that the pregnant woman has enough time to mount an antibody response as well as enough time to pass antibodies on through the cord blood.”

“It is encouraging to see the transplacental transfer of antibodies against COVID-19 to babies. However, we do not know what level of antibody is protective against COVID-19, and how long those protective antibodies will last, for either the mother or the baby,” Prabhu said. “For now, the safest way to protect newborns from COVID-19 is continued hand hygiene, social distancing and mask usage.”

The researchers are conducting further studies to understand the variability in antibody transfer to the baby in the womb and why this transfer does not always occur. They also want to determine the best timing for vaccination, whether this is in the first, second or third trimester and how breastfeeding impacts antibody levels in babies. They are currently conducting a longer-term follow-up study, so they can understand the protective nature of antibodies from the vaccine on the mother and the baby.

“Pregnant women were excluded from initial clinical trials for COVID-19 vaccines, so many women had to make decisions for themselves and their baby without data to turn to,” said Yang, who is also assistant director of the Central Laboratory at Weill Cornell Medicine and NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center. “We hope this new research gives these women important data to guide them as well as greater peace of mind in their decisions.”

Double the benefits. What else can one ask for in a vaccine?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Vaccinated pregnant women pass antibodies to their babies

Double the benefits. What else can one ask for in a vaccine?
    I mean, this isn't really a surprise at all; they knew about this way back in March 2020, near the beginning of the pandemic. It's part of why I never really understood the hesitancy for pregnant mothers getting the vaccine.
    Last edited by PhaelixWW; 2021-09-14 at 05:09 AM. Reason: fixed link

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I mean, this isn't really a surprise at all; they knew about this way back in March 2020, near the beginning of the pandemic. It's part of why I never really understood the hesitancy for pregnant mothers getting the vaccine.
    Probably because the vaccines weren't deliberately tested on pregnant mothers early on.

That's part of standard medical protocols - as the unborn child didn't consent to participate in the clinical study; and some drugs have badly damaged fetuses. But this difference between "untested due to precautions", and "tested and found wanting" haven't always been clear. It's similar to how Astra-Zeneca vaccine was originally not tested for the elderly and that clarity, and a similar reason partially explains why kids weren't included in the original studies.

However, with hundreds of millions vaccinated there have been many pregnancies among them and without finding serious issues, and new targeted studies are under way.

https://journalistsresource.org/home...ancy-research/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Probably because the vaccines weren't deliberately tested on pregnant mothers early on.
    Nah, I mean I understand why they weren't in the first round of vaccine testing. But putting the knowledge that the antibodies will filter to the newborn together that with the general safety of the vaccine, I don't understand why the patients themselves are so hesitant.

Part of that is because I have a hard time understanding the hesitancy over the vaccine in general, though. Really, it's not like some weird new drug, where we had no idea what the reaction was going to be. For the most part, the vaccines are just delivering RNA to build the spike protein. Like... there's not a lot of potential for surprise in that. Not outside the administration of any vaccine, at least. The mRNA vaccines don't even contain and adjuvant.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Military personnel are not told this. They are not considered property, nor are there any military/government regulations stating they are. Such a thing would be slavery.

They are contracted employees of the US Government who have agreed to the rules and regulation of the military service and the UCMJ.
    Sorry for the derail but I have to respond to this.

Well, they can be considered property as they cannot freely leave until their term is up without punishment, ranging from a simple dishonorable discharge(meaning you lose all future benefits given to veterans) all the way up to jailtime. Also, even if your term is up, you can be forcefully recalled if they need personnel through threat of jailtime.

The closest thing we have to slavery in the US would be going to prison.

It is more closely to voluntary indentured servitude then anything else. Most an private employer can do, if it is under contract, is sue you for breaking a contract. Otherwise, you can freely leave a job at any time without losing anything other then future revenues from said employer.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, because we are living in the South Park timeline, here is Tucker Carlson talking about Nicki Minaj claiming that her cousin's friend had their testicles become enlarged from the vaccine. Must have been a real life Randy Marsh.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...edgdhp&pc=U531

Nah, I mean I understand why they weren't in the first round of vaccine testing. But putting the knowledge that the antibodies will filter to the newborn together that with the general safety of the vaccine, I don't understand why the patients themselves are so hesitant.

Part of that is because I have a hard time understanding the hesitancy over the vaccine in general, though. Really, it's not like some weird new drug, where we had no idea what the reaction was going to be. For the most part, the vaccines are just delivering RNA to build the spike protein. Like... there's not a lot of potential for surprise in that. Not outside the administration of any vaccine, at least. The mRNA vaccines don't even contain and adjuvant.
    sounds more like a discouragement to me.

generally speaking pregnant women take extra care with that they eat, stop nicotine, stop caffeine, special supplements, etc. many medicines are also not prescribed to pregnant women, not because they are considered unsafe but because better safe than sorry let's use the one that has more track record.

add to that that people under 12 are much less affected and doing it "cause the newborn will have antibodies" sounds like a pretty stupid argument.

i'd go with the "if the mother gets sick that can't be good for the baby" argument anyday.

My God, this is such a terrible disease that has claimed so many lives on the whole planet. I was not ill, but many friends and acquaintances were ill. And I am grateful to God that they remained alive. Friends, take care of yourself and make sure you get a vaccine!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    A fifth Covid denying vaccine opposing radio host has died in the last five weeks. Bob Enyart is best known for playing Another One Bites The Dust as he gleefully read AIDS obituaries. To honor his legacy let’s all give it a listen.

God has a good sense of humor, I see.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1437583096849866765

Trigger warning: Tucker Carlson saying the word "testicles"

Apparently Niki Minaj has a cousin who has a friend (already off to a great start) whose balls swelled up after the vaccine, causing his then fiance to call off their wedding.

Please ignore that there are literally zero reports of this as a side effect. Please ignore that it's an odd thing to call a wedding off for in this context. But do remember that inflammation of the testicles is a side effect of multiple STD's, and that calling off a wedding because the dude wanted to get his dick wet one last time and caught a STD from someone is very much a thing that happens.

Tucker Carlson, spokesperson for the Death Cult(TM), apparently gets his information from the friend of a cousin of a celebrity whom we're not supposed to pay any attention to or something. And then takes said information, from a tweet, and uses it in his television show that airs to millions every night. 10/10 sourcing and jernulezm.

This is why there remain so many anti-vaxxers, because people are deeply, terrifyingly, breathtakingly stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/13/us/ca...ren/index.html

CA couple dies within weeks, leaving five children orphaned. GET. YOUR. FUCKIN. VACCINES.

Silly that the people shrieking "WHAT ABOUT THE CHLIDREN!" are actually the ones harming children by dying and leaving them to the foster system.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1437583096849866765

Trigger warning: Tucker Carlson saying the word "testicles"

Apparently Niki Minaj has a cousin who has a friend (already off to a great start) whose balls swelled up after the vaccine, causing his then fiance to call off their wedding.

Please ignore that there are literally zero reports of this as a side effect. Please ignore that it's an odd thing to call a wedding off for in this context. But do remember that inflammation of the testicles is a side effect of multiple STD's, and that calling off a wedding because the dude wanted to get his dick wet one last time and caught a STD from someone is very much a thing that happens.

Tucker Carlson, spokesperson for the Death Cult(TM), apparently gets his information from the friend of a cousin of a celebrity whom we're not supposed to pay any attention to or something. And then takes said information, from a tweet, and uses it in his television show that airs to millions every night. 10/10 sourcing and jernulezm.

This is why there remain so many anti-vaxxers, because people are deeply, terrifyingly, breathtakingly stupid.
    She claims it was obvious sarcasm and humor:

Yes 2021 when jack asses hang on to my every tweet but can’t decipher sarcasm & humor, and can’t read. Go away dumbo
    and to be honest reading the rest of the tweets made minutes after the infamous one she obviously encourage vaccination so I'm about to say that I actually believe it was sarcasm.

Now about Tucker Carlson...ah what the fuck I don't wanna lose much time with this kind of intelectual and moral misery. He is a "professional" "Journalist" ( there's no number of quotes enough) that knows millions and millions will listen to his words and he has the BALLS ( bigger than the cousin's friend) to spread this non-sense in the middle of a deadly pandemic.

A "journalist" talking about the friend of the cousin of a singer......Go fuck yourself Tucker. But really. Go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post
    She claims it was obvious sarcasm and humor:
    *sigh*

The, "I was only pretending to be a fuckin retard, you idiots! Why can't you take a joke?!" act is getting old.

reading the rest of the tweets made minutes after the infamous one she obviously encourage vaccination so I'm about to say that I actually believe it was sarcasm.
    Precisely why Twitter is a garbage format for this. I don't give enough of a shit to check her feed to see if she was joking in what appears to be an earnest, serious tweet.

A "journalist" talking about the friend of the cousin of a singer......Go fuck yourself Tucker. But really. Go fuck yourself.
    I just like that he said, "testicles became swollen" on live national television. He's a fuckin dangerous retard.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    A fifth Covid denying vaccine opposing radio host has died in the last five weeks. Bob Enyart is best known for playing Another One Bites The Dust as he gleefully read AIDS obituaries.
    I wonder if his fellow lunatics will start to figure out that it's easier to lead a death cult if you take the proper steps to ensure that you yourself won't die from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Precisely why Twitter is a garbage format for this. I don't give enough of a shit to check her feed to see if she was joking in what appears to be an earnest, serious tweet.
    Oh you don't. Tucker Carlson should. Carlson has a moral imperative to do not just that but call Nicki Minaj....if she is serious...get the cousin number and call him. Get the friend's number and call him. Meet with the "friend" and ask them for actual medical proof of the miracle shrinking testicles and at that moment....only and that moment open his scummy mouth.

This the baseline. I'm not talking about Pulitzer investigation no...this is the very basics , the miminum that every-single-news should have:What? Who? When? Where?

Instead of that there's people basing the decission to get vaccinated on what they see on TV ....and Carlson knows....and Carlson do this.

I'm gonna make a tweet ( I'm not famous tough) about the vaccine making my penis be several centimeters longer to see if I make it into his show....

Oh you don't. Tucker Carlson should.
    But nobody could take him seriously, at least that's what his lawyers argued. He's not a "Real Journalist(TM)" either, he's a news show host. Which means he doesn't have to do the pesky "work" that journalists do like chasing down and verifying sources, fact checking, or being a decent human being.

He's got an hour of time to fill out and he can't just sit there, slack-jawed and doe eyed as if he's an empty vessel or a literal deer in headlights.

Well, one concern is the risk of miscarriages (or spontaneous abortion as FDA wrote in their emergency use approval), which really requires specific studies, but I haven't seen any new data showing a significantly increased risk due to vaccinations (whereas risking covid-19 seems considerably worse at the moment even from this aspect).

And some inactivated vaccines like MMR are normally not recommend during pregnancy, and some (primarily Chinese) covid-vaccines are inactivated (but they are not approved by CDC or EMA). However, even Sinopharm now seems safe enough during pregnancy - https://www.who.int/news-room/featur...u-need-to-know

A University of California Irvine Study - Natural Acquisition Versus Vaccine – Which is More Effective?

A long-awaited serologic study, organized by a team led by UC Irvine (UCI) faculty Phil Felgner, Ph.D., professor of Physiology and Biophysics at UCI’s School of Medicine and director of UCI’s Vaccine Research and Development Center, has shown some promising results in learning about natural acquisition versus vaccine.

The comparative study, which focused on immunity effectiveness of naturally acquiring COVID-19 versus receiving one of the available messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccines, like Pfizer and Moderna, has shown that mRNA vaccines are more effective at immunizing against COVID-19 as well as it’s variants versus natural acquisition of the virus.

“Our results show that both mRNA vaccines are spectacular and essentially equivalent to each other,” said Felgner. “The antibody responses induced by these vaccines can shoot up within days after administration suggesting that the vaccine may be useful as a treatment in people who are beginning to experience [COVID-like] symptoms.”

The study, which began in February last year, analyzed two sets of data from 3,000 UCI healthcare workers at the UCI Medical Center in Orange in addition to a 7,000-person study in Santa Ana that compared antibody responses from those that acquired COVID-19 infection naturally and those who received the mRNA vaccines.

According to Felgner, the antibody response induced from natural exposure is not nearly as high as that induced by the vaccine, so those who had COVID-19 should still get the vaccine to improve their immunity. People previously exposed to the virus respond better to the vaccine and have stronger immunity than those never infected before; however, Felgner says those who never had the virus also will receive much higher antibody levels once they receive the vaccine. The mRNA vaccines’ antibody responses also may protect against emerging variants, said Felgner.

The team is also beginning to gather data from the Johnson & Johnson vaccine and according to Felgner, have noted that the antibody levels induced by this vaccine take longer to develop and are lower than the mRNA vaccines.

There goes the argument that naturally acquired immunity is better than vaccine induced immunity.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-09-14 at 06:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, one concern is the risk of miscarriages (or spontaneous abortion as FDA wrote in their emergency use approval), which really requires specific studies, but I haven't seen any new data showing a significantly increased risk due to vaccinations (whereas risking covid-19 seems considerably worse at the moment even from this aspect).
    Concern about miscarriages is always a subject where prenatal care is discussed. That doesn't mean there was any reason to think that it was even a remotely realistic possibility. Heck, even flu vaccines are recommended for pregnant women. And yes, COVID would seem to be the much, much larger threat to both mother and child in this case.

And some inactivated vaccines like MMR are normally not recommend during pregnancy
    Well, that's part of the reason why I specified the RNA vaccines. I include the Johnson & Johnson vaccine in this, too, as it uses the adenovirus vector to make the same mRNA that the mRNA vaccines use more directly.

But also, the MMR vaccine is actually live attenuated, not inactivated, which is why its use is not recommended for pregnant mothers.
    The MMR vaccine is not recommended during pregnancy because of a very small chance of developing the disease from the weakened virus in the vaccine itself.
    That's not a risk in the RNA vaccines, of course.

- - - Updated - - -

There goes the argument that naturally acquired immunity is better than vaccine induced immunity.
    I feel somewhat vindicated for my comments on the subject a year ago.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

I feel somewhat vindicated for my comments on the subject a year ago.
    DeSantis must have missed that one.

DeSantis slams Biden for ignoring 'natural immunity' in vaccine mandates

"These mandates, this is not about science," the Republican governor said during a press conference in Alachua County. "Because if it was about science, you would recognize the infection conferred immunity."

"Every single credible study always shows that it [natural immunity] provides good protection," he continued. "So I don't support mandates at all, but if you're doing mandate based off this, if you were really following science, you would acknowledge this natural immunity. And instead they ignore it. … It's really about using government power, control to mandate, much more than it is about the underlying medical issues that are involved."

As for vaccination for pregnant women, I do remember my wife getting a bunch of vaccine shots during her late trimester when she was carrying our daughter around 30 years ago. Then more shots when she was carrying our son. The two pregnancies were 2 years apart.

10+ Year Old Account
    As for vaccination for pregnant women, I do remember my wife getting a bunch of vaccine shots during her late trimester when she was carrying our daughter around 30 years ago. Then more shots when she was carrying our son. The two pregnancies were 2 years apart.
    Probably the Tdap vaccine for pertussis (whooping cough).
    When a pregnant woman gets a whooping cough vaccine during pregnancy, her body will create protective antibodies and pass some of them to the baby before birth. These antibodies will provide the baby some short-term, early protection against whooping cough. CDC recommends getting a whooping cough shot during the 27th through 36th week of each pregnancy, preferably during the early part of earlier part of this time period.
    - - - Updated - - -

Also, from the CDC page specifically for pregnant mothers and the COVID vaccine:
    What You Need to Know
    • COVID-19 vaccination is recommended for all people 12 years and older, including people who are pregnant, breastfeeding, trying to get pregnant now, or might become pregnant in the future.
    • Evidence about the safety and effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccination during pregnancy has been growing. These data suggest that the benefits of receiving a COVID-19 vaccine outweigh any known or potential risks of vaccination during pregnancy.
    • There is currently no evidence that any vaccines, including COVID-19 vaccines, cause fertility problems in women or men.
    • Pregnant and recently pregnant people are more likely to get severely ill with COVID-19 compared with non-pregnant people.
    • Getting a COVID-19 vaccine can protect you from severe illness from COVID-19.
    Even back in March (and even earlier), somewhat the same advice was given:
    Although the overall risk of severe illness is low, pregnant people are at an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19 when compared to non-pregnant people. Severe illness includes illness that results in intensive care admission, mechanical ventilation, or death. Additionally, pregnant people with COVID-19 might be at increased risk of adverse pregnancy outcomes, such as preterm birth, compared with pregnant women without COVID-19.

Based on how these vaccines work in the body, experts believe they are unlikely to pose a specific risk for people who are pregnant. However, there are currently limited data on the safety of COVID-19 vaccines in pregnant people
    • Clinical trials that look at the safety and how well the COVID-19 vaccines work in pregnant people are underway or planned. Vaccine manufacturers are also monitoring data from people in the clinical trials who received vaccine and became pregnant.
    • Studies in animals receiving a Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech, or Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen (J&J/Janssen) COVID-19 vaccine before or during pregnancy found no safety concerns.

CDC and the Federal Drug Administration (FDA) have safety monitoring systems in place to gather information about vaccination during pregnancy and will closely monitor that information. Most of the pregnancies in these systems are ongoing, so we don’t yet have information on the outcomes of these pregnancies. We need to continue to follow pregnancies long-term to understand effects on pregnancy and infants.

The Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines are mRNA vaccines that do not contain the live virus that causes COVID-19 and, therefore, cannot give someone COVID-19. Additionally, mRNA vaccines do not interact with a person’s DNA or cause genetic changes because the mRNA does not enter the nucleus of the cell, which is where our DNA is kept. Learn more about how COVID-19 mRNA vaccines work.

The J&J/Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine is a viral vector vaccine, meaning it uses a modified version of a different virus (the vector) to deliver important instructions to our cells. Viral vector technology has been used by Janssen for other vaccine development programs. Vaccines that use the same viral vector have been given to pregnant people in all trimesters of pregnancy, including in a large-scale Ebola vaccination trial. No adverse pregnancy-related outcomes, including adverse outcomes that affected the infant, were associated with vaccination in these trials. Learn more about how viral vector vaccines work.
    I mean, I know people are always cautions about treatments where pregnancies are concerned, but all signs always pointed to COVID being a far worse threat to both mother and child than the vaccine.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils