Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    CNN: Covid-19 vaccine for 5- to 11-year-olds is safe and shows 'robust' antibody response, Pfizer says

Sooner than expected. This might actually help prevent the almost-inevitable winter wave from devastating the world quite as badly.
    Yup good news, and Moderna seems to be close as well. (Janssen is also experimenting I understand, AstraZeneca stopped in even older children some time ago - I haven't heard that they have restarted those tests.)

However, I wouldn't say it will help the world from being devastated this winter - since the world doesn't have enough vaccines, and using vaccines for kids in the US (and other high income countries) likely mean less vaccines for older persons in mid-income countries (a bit more complicated since smaller doses).

10+ Year Old Account
    COVID has now claimed more lives in the US than the Spanish flu. 'Just the flu' indeed.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    So... it's been exactly a year from this interaction:

This guy thought that worldwide new COVID cases had peaked here:

Boy, how I wish he'd been correct...
    LOL.
    I don't come here often because of subpar moderation team (are they still mods?) so maybe some of notifications have expired... but really you just can't let it go Why didn't you quote me saying like several days after that I'm amending my statement to "series of small peaks, world seems flat for now" - and it was flat for a while? Yes big peaks came afterwards, that's true, but while we were still bickering, those tiny local peaks were what they were. You're partially right too - it got significantly worse later.

CBA reading the whole thread - are you still in favor of repeated lockdowns until we cure death?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

Florida......

Biden vaccine push so far has failed to increase COVID shots delivered in Florida

President Joe Biden's recent push to encourage more people to get the COVID-19 vaccine has failed to move the needle much locally or statewide so far.

Latest data from the Florida Department of Health shows that the number of people getting their initial COVID-19 vaccination in Brevard County fell for the seventh straight week.

The figure was 2,407 during the week of Sept. 10 to Sept. 16. That's less than one-third of what it was during the week of July 30 to Aug. 5, when 7,610 people in Brevard got their first shot.

Similarly, statewide figures have steadily fallen from 290,769 first doses during the week of July 30 to Aug. 5 to 122,315 first doses during the week of Sept. 10 to Sept. 16.

Brevard-based state health officials and the county's emergency management director expressed concern about the falling numbers during the Brevard County's latest COVID-19 briefing on Friday.

Meanwhile in Commiefornia, the state administered 1.1 million first does in July, and 1.8 million in August.

- - - Updated - - -

Most recent California and the nine Bay Area counties numbers from the State Dashboard.

California: 3.4% test positivity (seven-day rate), 20.0 cases per 100,000 (seven-day average), 0.2 deaths per 100,000 (seven-day average)
    Alameda: 2.3% test positivity, 11.1 cases per 100,000, 0.01 deaths per 100,000
    Contra Costa: 3.2% test positivity, 15.2 cases per 100,000, 0.2 deaths per 100,000
    Marin: 2.1% test positivity, 8.3 cases per 100,000, 0 deaths per 100,000
    Napa: 3.8% test positivity, 18.8 cases per 100,000, 0.2 deaths per 100,000
    San Francisco: 2.0% positivity, 10.1 cases per 100,000, 0.2 deaths per 100,000
    San Mateo: 1.9% test positivity, 9.5 cases per 100,000, 0.04 deaths per 100,000
    Santa Clara: 1.7% test positivity, 11.3 cases per 100,000, 0.1 deaths per 100,000
    Solano: 4.1% test positivity, 19.9 cases per 100,000, 0.4 deaths per 100,000
    Sonoma: 2.6% test positivity, 13.2 cases per 100,000, 0.1 deaths per 100,000

The Bay Area is almost back to where it was in June when cases and hospitalizations were at their lowest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    Ugh my first shot wasn't fun.
    Was around 2-3 days of aches which fucked up my sleep.
    Haven't gotten the 2nd yet.
    My uncle just had his 1st Pfizer and said it was nothing.
    So if it's worse that won't be fun.
    Mine was Moderna though so I'll take the % gains.

A bit worried though as we have family thing coming up next Saturday with my antivaxx fam.
    I know people that had it bad the first, but the second was way better.
    I think cases where both are really bad are extremely rare.

You most likely had it that bad because you may have had Covid and this was your "second". No guarantee though, so you should def not skip the real second one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    I don't come here often because of subpar moderation team (are they still mods?) so maybe some of notifications have expired... but really you just can't let it go
    Lulz. Even a casual search will show that I mentioned you only once since you stopped trying to push your lie almost a year ago, and that was on the date one year from when you made your laughable claim, showing just how wrong you were.

If that's going to be characterized as "can't let it go"... <eyes your recent post>... then I guess you're hoist by your own petard, eh?

Why didn't you quote me saying like several days after that I'm amending my statement to "series of small peaks, world seems flat for now" - and it was flat for a while?
    Hmm, because it wasn't really flat "for a while", as pointed out long-since:
    Besides, you were definitely talking about it being the highest peak:
    It could be just a local peak, hence "it seems". But most likely it will stay that way.
    You clearly didn't think it was going back up, ever.

You said a lot of other crazy shit, too. Some wild theory that countries were soft-capped at 3% cases, as I recall. If you start saying crazy, illogical things like that during a pandemic, expect to get some pushback.

CBA reading the whole thread - are you still in favor of repeated lockdowns until we cure death?
    Gee, I dunno, why don't you find the quotes that suggest that that's my position, and then I'll see if I feel like rebutting it? Otherwise, I CBA, either.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Yet another anti-vax idiot catches covid and regrets it because it's absolutely kicking their ass up and down the street.

Don't listen to these idiots please, get your fuckin vaccines and don't be another statistic.

I do enjoy knowing these idiots who are spreading disinformation are suffering though. I just wish I could feel confident that they'd learn something from the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I do enjoy knowing these idiots who are spreading disinformation are suffering though. I just wish I could feel confident that they'd learn something from the experience.
    Well, this guy is spreading disinformation while suffering:
    He said that he has taken two doses of Ivermectin, and a cocktail of vitamins, to treat his illness
    And I have little doubt that when he recovers he will praise that drug (instead of any other therapies he received) to keep the grift going. Has any of them yet explained why we should trust experimental usage of Ivermectin to prevent/treat COVID, but need to oppose "experimental" vaccines at all costs?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I just wish I could feel confident that they'd learn something from the experience.
    They aren't.
    From personal family experiences lately I'm seeing that's not the case.
    I'm hearing things like "it's god's plan", "god's plan is perfect" and other infuriating wool pulling over what is RIGHT in front of them.

When my dog wants to comes inside with a stick that's too big to fit through the door, she just keeps trying.
    Has she learned yet to turn it sideways? Nope.
    Same thing.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    One thing that really annoying me is the lotteries they have going for vaccinations. As someone who got their vaccinations months ago this pisses me off, where my free chance to win snowmobile/car/firearms. It makes me feel like a chump that I went out and got it when it was my age groups turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    One thing that really annoying me is the lotteries they have going for vaccinations. As someone who got their vaccinations months ago this pisses me off, where my free chance to win snowmobile/car/firearms. It makes me feel like a chump that I went out and got it when it was my age groups turn.
    Just think of it this way: your chance of dying due to being unvaccinated would almost certainly have been higher than your chance of winning one of those lottery prizes. In most places, 1 in 500 people has died of COVID. Even if you're young, your chance of dying is probably higher than 1 in 50,000. If you're young, healthy, and with no comorbidities, it's maybe 1 in 250,000.

I mean, just looking at the numbers for the US, for example, there have been ~3200 deaths in the 18-29 age bracket, which is comprised of about 54m people. That's already a 1 in 17k rate. Let's say that something like 90% of those people had a comorbidity. That still leaves it at 1 in 170k. Now, you'd only have to have been unvaccinated (rather than vaccinated when you were able to) for a few months of that time, but that's pretty much the entire run of the delta variant, which is measurably tougher on everyone, including the young and healthy. So maybe only 1/4 the rate, which pushes it to 1 in ~700k best-case risk of dying during the time you would have had to spend unvaccinated in order to be eligible for the prizes.

What do you suppose your odds of winning a snowmobile/car/firearm? 1 in a million? 1 in 10 million? Weighed against death?

You made the right choice.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't fall for this kind of thinking. You potentially avoided getting Covid, or at least were prepared for the possibility of having it. And if you want to read about people who feel like chumps, read about the anti-vaxxers dying from Covid, begging for the vaccine from the doctors, only to be told that it's too late at this point.

And a lottery seems like a good idea, tbh. They have to entice the anti-vaxxers somehow. It's for everyone's benefit.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you suppose your odds of winning a snowmobile/car/firearm? 1 in a million? 1 in 10 million? Weighed against death?

You made the right choice.
    Not to mention that the chances of getting to battle long covid for God knows how long are much higher than the chance of mere death.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Not to mention that the chances of getting to battle long covid for God knows how long are much higher than the chance of mere death.
    Plus with the money you'd save from not needing to pay that huge hospital bill, you can easily buy a snowmobile/car/firearm/small house.

Quote Originally Posted by For_The_Horde View Post
    Plus with the money you'd save from not needing to pay that huge hospital bill, you can easily buy a snowmobile/car/firearm/small house.
    lol.
    Almost a Geico commercial.
    Also, thanks for that family guy link, I hadn't seen that.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Lulz. Even a casual search will show that I mentioned you only once since you stopped trying to push your lie (1) almost a year ago, and that was on the date one year from when you made your laughable claim, showing just how wrong you were.

If that's going to be characterized as "can't let it go"... <eyes your recent post>... then I guess you're hoist by your own petard, (2) eh?

Hmm, because it wasn't really flat "for a while" (3), as pointed out long-since:

Besides, you were definitely talking about it being the highest peak:

You clearly didn't think it was going back (4) up, ever.

You said a lot of other crazy shit, too. Some wild theory that countries were soft-capped at 3% cases, as I recall. If you start saying crazy, illogical things like that during a pandemic, expect to get some pushback. (5)

Gee, I dunno, why don't you find the quotes (6) that suggest that that's my position, and then I'll see if I feel like rebutting it? Otherwise, I CBA, either.
    Alright, I see there's still some fun to be had in pointless back-and-forth with you At this moment I care more about discussion of the Dune film in other subforum, so if I won't be banned outright for this one post, you'll forgive me if I reply rather rarely over here, to not lose my posting privileges there.

So,
    1. No, you got it wrong. I was merrily bickering with you when Rozz gave me a 10-point infraction for retelling a joke that our assistant professor told my class during theory of probabilities back in university, to illustrate his point how experimental data collection in statistics doesn't always work as we want. You maybe remember it, a joke about measuring what's the probability of "losing" the russian roulette? Yeah, that was 10 out of 15 infraction points, I appealed but lost, and soon he/she gave me 5 more for something even more innocuous. 15 points, so I was suddenly banned for the first and only time in my almost 20 years of posting on various message boards on the Internet, I'm not joking here, for posting really mild and innocent stuff - meanwhile some other posters were pouring obscenities and borderline death wishes at their opponents and were allowed to do so. So, I had 3 days to think and decided that with such shitty biased mod team it wasn't worth wasting my time on MMO-C; I made a few more rather irrespectful posts to complete a paragraph so to speak, and deleted this site from my bookmarks. Not because of our silly bickering, but because of state of moderation here. IIRC my last post was clearly showing how silly and laughable your argument about peaks at that time was. You were pushing a lie, not me.

2. Not sure if I understand you at all - I came back after long absence and got 2 notifications one of which was "your post was recently quoted", I followed the link and there it was, your post quoting me. Since I was already posting about other stuff, I also replied to you. My post history shows that with one other exception, I wasn't posting here for what, almost a year. So, what's up with my posting history, I came back, saw a notification, replied to it, so? Where's the petard?

3. Nope, your own picture shows it was pretty much flat for like 3 months during which you were repeating over and over that only "the peak" can exist, and "a peak" or "a series of small peaks" cannot exist, which is wrong; and then I was wrongfully banned and left this site after making fun of you one last time. It was nearly flat for 3 months, that's called "a while" don't you think? :P

4. Wrong. Gaslighting from you again. Don't put your words in my mouth. I clearly thought what I said, and you even quote me: "could be <..> But most likely it will stay that way." Clearly, the thing I clearly mentioned but thought was least likely to happen, happened; tough shit, unlikely stuff happens, my estimation was off, clearly I admitted that soon, and then our 2-month long bickering was mainly about local peaks and flatness (and my 3% conjecture, ok), stop repeating yourself, we had 99% this exact exchange before, don't waste time for us both, go back and check, really!

5. Well we clearly don't align. Many things you said were crazy and illogical (and fearmongering) from my perspective. This is a place to discuss pandemic-related things during a pandemic, so when I thought I saw an empirical trend, I posted a completely sane and rational conjecture to see what others think. You reacted with an emotional outburst, while Forogil gave a rational thoughtful reply, IIRC. For the record, that trend disappeared as time passed, so my conjecture was eventually proven wrong. But, instead of rational discussion, attacking and silencing anything you personally emotionally dislike is very authoritarian, I disapprove such behaviour.

6. Eh, I was more or less joking, probably not worth finding exact quotes - before the peak debacle, one of the first questions I came here with was if the measures governments around the world were about to start taking were more harmful for the common people than the pandemic itself. Now I think they mostly weren't worse, but it's still not clear-cut black and white, can be debatable. And when first lockdowns started with the motto "to flatten the curve", you were strongly in favor, I was on the fence, and you said something about repeating the lockdowns to flatten it again. And someone posted a caricature of a fearmonger saying "Lockdown until we cure death!!1"... and some people lost their shit over it. That's what I was referring to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

That's a poorly designed lottery if true (and as other have stated getting vaccinated was still a good idea).

Many vaccine-lotteries allow all vaccinated in the state/region to enter (or they are automatically entered) - so that people don't feel this resentment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by For_The_Horde View Post
    I'm not sure if hospital bills are such a deterrent outside of the US, such as in Canada.

New state rule: If student is exposed to COVID, parents decide whether they quarantine

Guess the state. Hint: not California.

- - - Updated - - -

Tennessee says vaccinated people should be last in line for antibody treatments to save them for the unvaccinated

Vaccine discrimination. It actually makes sense. It still leaves a bad taste that people that actually do what they were supposed to do ended up getting the short end of the stick.