Quote Originally Posted by SensationalBanana View Post
    Took the second shot thursday. I felt the jab this time, unlike the first, and my arm feels like I've worked out way above my capacity but that's it for side effects. Not bad considering my autoimmune disease and other health issues.

Everyone I know said the same thing btw. They felt the second jab, not the first, on their upper arm.

I wonder what that's about.
    As far as I know, it's because the first shot simply stimulates a weaker immune response than the 2nd. Which is why it's important to get the 2nd and not just leave it at one.

Ugh my first shot wasn't fun.
    Was around 2-3 days of aches which fucked up my sleep.
    Haven't gotten the 2nd yet.
    My uncle just had his 1st Pfizer and said it was nothing.
    So if it's worse that won't be fun.
    Mine was Moderna though so I'll take the % gains.

A bit worried though as we have family thing coming up next Saturday with my antivaxx fam.

Recently got my 2nd shot as well. Both Moderna.

No side-effects, on either times. The spot was just mildly sensitive to touch, for a day or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Money laundering, especially prior to his election? I couldn't give a flying fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    All those rule breakers and San Francisco has the lowest case rate of all US major cities. I think that should encourage people to get their vaccine. As for the remaining 18% of unvaccinated in San Francisco, they could either get the immunity the easy way or the hard way. Their choice. Picture from Labor Day Bottlerock festival. Three days, 40k attendants, 97% fully vaccinated and no mask in sight. Not a single Covid case traced to the festival.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Recently got my 2nd shot as well. Both Moderna.

No side-effects, on either times. The spot was just mildly sensitive to touch, for a day or two.
    I got the Pfizer vaccine back in April and then in May and I didn't get any of the arm pain. The worst reaction I had to either shot was the second one and I just got really tired on the drive home. So I went straight home, laid down in my bed, passed out for about 3 hours and woke up feeling fine. My best friend and his wife both got Covid from a mutual friend when they took her baby off her hands when she got Covid. They both got hit by the virus pretty hard, no hospitalization or lack of oxygen thank God, and were pretty messed up for about 1 week to 1 1/2 weeks. Well they got the vaccine and when they got the second one they both were down for the next 24 hours pretty hard. From what research they found supposedly those who had Covid before the vaccine the body can go into overdrive to fight off the vaccine.

CNN: Covid-19 vaccine for 5- to 11-year-olds is safe and shows 'robust' antibody response, Pfizer says

In a highly anticipated announcement, Pfizer said on Monday a Phase 2/3 trial showed its Covid-19 vaccine was safe and generated a "robust" antibody response in children ages 5 to 11.

These are the first such results released for this age group for a US Covid-19 vaccine, and the data has not yet been peer-reviewed or published. Pfizer said it plans to submit to the US Food and Drug Administration for emergency use authorization soon. FDA officials have said that once data is submitted, the agency could authorize a vaccine for younger children in a matter of weeks.

The trial included 2,268 participants ages 5 to 11 and used a two-dose regimen of the vaccine administered 21 days apart. This trial used a 10-microgram dose -- smaller than the 30-microgram dose that has been used for those 12 and older.

Participants' immune responses were measured by looking at neutralizing antibody levels in their blood and comparing those levels to a control group of 16- to 25-year-olds who were given a two-dose regimen with the larger 30-microgram dose. Pfizer said the levels compared well with older people who received the larger dose, demonstrating a "strong immune response in this cohort of children one month after the second dose."

"Further, the COVID-19 vaccine was well tolerated, with side effects generally comparable to those observed in participants 16 to 25 years of age," the company said.

A Pfizer spokesperson also confirmed that were no instances of myocarditis, a type of heart inflammation that has been linked with mRNA vaccines.

Pfizer said these data will be included in a "near-term submission" for EUA and the companies will continue to accumulate the data needed to file for FDA approval for people ages 5 to 11.

The Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine is currently approved for people age 16 and older, and authorized for use in people ages 12 to 15.

Pfizer said it is expecting trial data for children as young as 6 months "as soon as the fourth quarter of this year."

"Since July, pediatric cases of COVID-19 have risen by about 240 percent in the U.S. -- underscoring the public health need for vaccination. These trial results provide a strong foundation for seeking authorization of our vaccine for children 5 to 11 years old, and we plan to submit them to the FDA and other regulators with urgency," Albert Bourla, chairman and chief executive officer of Pfizer, said in the statement.

What happens next

Dr. Scott Gottlieb, a former FDA commissioner and current Pfizer board member, has said a vaccine for children ages 5 to 11 could be available by Halloween.

"Pfizer could be in a position to file very quickly," Gottlieb said Monday on CNBC. "The data came a little earlier than some were expecting, and depending on how long the FDA takes to review the application, whether it's a four week review or a six week review, you could have a vaccine available to children as early as probably by the end of October, perhaps it slips a little bit into November."

Acting FDA Commissioner Dr. Janet Woodcock and Dr. Peter Marks, director of FDA's Center for Biologics Research and Evaluation, said in a statement this month that the agency would review data for a vaccine for younger children "as quickly as possible, likely in a matter of weeks rather than months," once it was submitted for authorization.

"However, the agency's ability to review these submissions rapidly will depend in part on the quality and timeliness of the submissions by manufacturers," they wrote.

Calls for a Covid-19 vaccine for younger children have grown louder in recent months as cases surged among children.

Coronavirus infections have risen "exponentially" among children across the United States, and now account for nearly 29% of all cases reported nationwide, the American Academy of Pediatrics reported last week.

Still, US health officials have emphasized that children are not just small adults, and even those approaching age 12 should not be given the larger vaccine dose available for older people.

"We don't want children to have adverse effects. Granted, we want them to be able to get vaccinated as quickly as possible, but let's do it right," FDA's Marks said in a fireside chat hosted by the ResearchAmerica Alliance last week.

"There is a difference here because they're not just getting the same-old, same-old dose as a 12 and up person will. They have to get a reduced dose. And that's why it's not a good idea for doctors to take things in their own hands at this point."

Millions more would be eligible for vaccination

If the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine is authorized for children ages 5 to 11, more than 28 million additional people will be eligible to be vaccinated against Covid-19, according to a CNN analysis of data from the US Census Bureau.

Currently, about 85% of the US population is eligible to receive a Covid-19 vaccine. But the 5 to 11 age group represents about 9% of the total United States population, which would bump it up to 94%.

According to the latest data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 63.8% of the total US population has received at least one dose of Covid-19 vaccine and 54.6% of the population is fully vaccinated.

Adolescents are the least vaccinated group. About 57% of adolescents age 12 to 17 have received at least one dose and 46% are fully vaccinated, according to a CNN analysis of CDC data. Children 16 and up were included in the initial emergency use authorization of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine and children ages 12 to 15 were added in May, more than four months ago.

A Kaiser Family Foundation poll last month found that about a quarter of parents of children ages 5 to 11 say they will vaccinate their children "right away" once a vaccine is authorized. Four in 10 parents said they would "wait and see" how the vaccine is working before they get younger children vaccinated.

Meanwhile, one-quarter of parents in the poll said they would "definitely not" have their 5-to-11-year-old children vaccinated against Covid-19.
    Sooner than expected. This might actually help prevent the almost-inevitable winter wave from devastating the world quite as badly.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    CNN: Covid-19 vaccine for 5- to 11-year-olds is safe and shows 'robust' antibody response, Pfizer says

Sooner than expected. This might actually help prevent the almost-inevitable winter wave from devastating the world quite as badly.
    Yup good news, and Moderna seems to be close as well. (Janssen is also experimenting I understand, AstraZeneca stopped in even older children some time ago - I haven't heard that they have restarted those tests.)

However, I wouldn't say it will help the world from being devastated this winter - since the world doesn't have enough vaccines, and using vaccines for kids in the US (and other high income countries) likely mean less vaccines for older persons in mid-income countries (a bit more complicated since smaller doses).

COVID has now claimed more lives in the US than the Spanish flu. 'Just the flu' indeed.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Dreadlord
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    So... it's been exactly a year from this interaction:

This guy thought that worldwide new COVID cases had peaked here:

Boy, how I wish he'd been correct...
    LOL.
    I don't come here often because of subpar moderation team (are they still mods?) so maybe some of notifications have expired... but really you just can't let it go Why didn't you quote me saying like several days after that I'm amending my statement to "series of small peaks, world seems flat for now" - and it was flat for a while? Yes big peaks came afterwards, that's true, but while we were still bickering, those tiny local peaks were what they were. You're partially right too - it got significantly worse later.

CBA reading the whole thread - are you still in favor of repeated lockdowns until we cure death?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

Florida......

Biden vaccine push so far has failed to increase COVID shots delivered in Florida

President Joe Biden's recent push to encourage more people to get the COVID-19 vaccine has failed to move the needle much locally or statewide so far.

Latest data from the Florida Department of Health shows that the number of people getting their initial COVID-19 vaccination in Brevard County fell for the seventh straight week.

The figure was 2,407 during the week of Sept. 10 to Sept. 16. That's less than one-third of what it was during the week of July 30 to Aug. 5, when 7,610 people in Brevard got their first shot.

Similarly, statewide figures have steadily fallen from 290,769 first doses during the week of July 30 to Aug. 5 to 122,315 first doses during the week of Sept. 10 to Sept. 16.

Brevard-based state health officials and the county's emergency management director expressed concern about the falling numbers during the Brevard County's latest COVID-19 briefing on Friday.

Meanwhile in Commiefornia, the state administered 1.1 million first does in July, and 1.8 million in August.

- - - Updated - - -

Most recent California and the nine Bay Area counties numbers from the State Dashboard.

California: 3.4% test positivity (seven-day rate), 20.0 cases per 100,000 (seven-day average), 0.2 deaths per 100,000 (seven-day average)
    Alameda: 2.3% test positivity, 11.1 cases per 100,000, 0.01 deaths per 100,000
    Contra Costa: 3.2% test positivity, 15.2 cases per 100,000, 0.2 deaths per 100,000
    Marin: 2.1% test positivity, 8.3 cases per 100,000, 0 deaths per 100,000
    Napa: 3.8% test positivity, 18.8 cases per 100,000, 0.2 deaths per 100,000
    San Francisco: 2.0% positivity, 10.1 cases per 100,000, 0.2 deaths per 100,000
    San Mateo: 1.9% test positivity, 9.5 cases per 100,000, 0.04 deaths per 100,000
    Santa Clara: 1.7% test positivity, 11.3 cases per 100,000, 0.1 deaths per 100,000
    Solano: 4.1% test positivity, 19.9 cases per 100,000, 0.4 deaths per 100,000
    Sonoma: 2.6% test positivity, 13.2 cases per 100,000, 0.1 deaths per 100,000

The Bay Area is almost back to where it was in June when cases and hospitalizations were at their lowest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    Ugh my first shot wasn't fun.
    Was around 2-3 days of aches which fucked up my sleep.
    Haven't gotten the 2nd yet.
    My uncle just had his 1st Pfizer and said it was nothing.
    So if it's worse that won't be fun.
    Mine was Moderna though so I'll take the % gains.

A bit worried though as we have family thing coming up next Saturday with my antivaxx fam.
    I know people that had it bad the first, but the second was way better.
    I think cases where both are really bad are extremely rare.

You most likely had it that bad because you may have had Covid and this was your "second". No guarantee though, so you should def not skip the real second one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    I don't come here often because of subpar moderation team (are they still mods?) so maybe some of notifications have expired... but really you just can't let it go
    Lulz. Even a casual search will show that I mentioned you only once since you stopped trying to push your lie almost a year ago, and that was on the date one year from when you made your laughable claim, showing just how wrong you were.

If that's going to be characterized as "can't let it go"... <eyes your recent post>... then I guess you're hoist by your own petard, eh?

Why didn't you quote me saying like several days after that I'm amending my statement to "series of small peaks, world seems flat for now" - and it was flat for a while?
    Hmm, because it wasn't really flat "for a while", as pointed out long-since:
    Besides, you were definitely talking about it being the highest peak:
    It could be just a local peak, hence "it seems". But most likely it will stay that way.
    You clearly didn't think it was going back up, ever.

You said a lot of other crazy shit, too. Some wild theory that countries were soft-capped at 3% cases, as I recall. If you start saying crazy, illogical things like that during a pandemic, expect to get some pushback.

CBA reading the whole thread - are you still in favor of repeated lockdowns until we cure death?
    Gee, I dunno, why don't you find the quotes that suggest that that's my position, and then I'll see if I feel like rebutting it? Otherwise, I CBA, either.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Yet another anti-vax idiot catches covid and regrets it because it's absolutely kicking their ass up and down the street.

Don't listen to these idiots please, get your fuckin vaccines and don't be another statistic.

I do enjoy knowing these idiots who are spreading disinformation are suffering though. I just wish I could feel confident that they'd learn something from the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I do enjoy knowing these idiots who are spreading disinformation are suffering though. I just wish I could feel confident that they'd learn something from the experience.
    Well, this guy is spreading disinformation while suffering:
    He said that he has taken two doses of Ivermectin, and a cocktail of vitamins, to treat his illness
    And I have little doubt that when he recovers he will praise that drug (instead of any other therapies he received) to keep the grift going. Has any of them yet explained why we should trust experimental usage of Ivermectin to prevent/treat COVID, but need to oppose "experimental" vaccines at all costs?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I just wish I could feel confident that they'd learn something from the experience.
    They aren't.
    From personal family experiences lately I'm seeing that's not the case.
    I'm hearing things like "it's god's plan", "god's plan is perfect" and other infuriating wool pulling over what is RIGHT in front of them.

When my dog wants to comes inside with a stick that's too big to fit through the door, she just keeps trying.
    Has she learned yet to turn it sideways? Nope.
    Same thing.

Herald of the Titans
    One thing that really annoying me is the lotteries they have going for vaccinations. As someone who got their vaccinations months ago this pisses me off, where my free chance to win snowmobile/car/firearms. It makes me feel like a chump that I went out and got it when it was my age groups turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    One thing that really annoying me is the lotteries they have going for vaccinations. As someone who got their vaccinations months ago this pisses me off, where my free chance to win snowmobile/car/firearms. It makes me feel like a chump that I went out and got it when it was my age groups turn.
    Just think of it this way: your chance of dying due to being unvaccinated would almost certainly have been higher than your chance of winning one of those lottery prizes. In most places, 1 in 500 people has died of COVID. Even if you're young, your chance of dying is probably higher than 1 in 50,000. If you're young, healthy, and with no comorbidities, it's maybe 1 in 250,000.

I mean, just looking at the numbers for the US, for example, there have been ~3200 deaths in the 18-29 age bracket, which is comprised of about 54m people. That's already a 1 in 17k rate. Let's say that something like 90% of those people had a comorbidity. That still leaves it at 1 in 170k. Now, you'd only have to have been unvaccinated (rather than vaccinated when you were able to) for a few months of that time, but that's pretty much the entire run of the delta variant, which is measurably tougher on everyone, including the young and healthy. So maybe only 1/4 the rate, which pushes it to 1 in ~700k best-case risk of dying during the time you would have had to spend unvaccinated in order to be eligible for the prizes.

What do you suppose your odds of winning a snowmobile/car/firearm? 1 in a million? 1 in 10 million? Weighed against death?

You made the right choice.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Don't fall for this kind of thinking. You potentially avoided getting Covid, or at least were prepared for the possibility of having it. And if you want to read about people who feel like chumps, read about the anti-vaxxers dying from Covid, begging for the vaccine from the doctors, only to be told that it's too late at this point.

And a lottery seems like a good idea, tbh. They have to entice the anti-vaxxers somehow. It's for everyone's benefit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Money laundering, especially prior to his election? I couldn't give a flying fuck.