But that doesn't even show hospitalizations doubling whereas case numbers in NY have more than doubled even if you try to exclude Omicron, so it seems hospitalizations are likely not driven by Omicron yet. We will see if we get some data for that.

But the recent number of cases are high, and likely driven by Omicron, - look at https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...nds_dailycases - Monday the 12th there were 9.2k, Tuesday the 13th 5k compared with 6.5k and 2.3k a week ago.
    Technically the 9.2k is a new record, but that's because reporting didn't have the weekend off at January 6th.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    But that doesn't even show hospitalizations doubling whereas case numbers in NY have more than doubled even if you try to exclude Omicron, so it seems hospitalizations are likely not driven by Omicron yet. We will see if we get some data for that.
    I don't think anybody expects hospitalizations to be pushed as strongly by omicron as they would if the surge were delta. Still, the sheer number of omicron infections will be pushing up the hospitalization rate even if it proves to actually be more mild.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    But the recent number of cases are high, and likely driven by Omicron, - look at https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...nds_dailycases - Monday the 12th there were 9.2k, Tuesday the 13th 5k compared with 6.5k and 2.3k a week ago.
    Technically the 9.2k is a new record, but that's because reporting didn't have the weekend off at January 6th.
    That's just NYC, not the whole state. But yeah, NYC and a large chunk of NJ are going to be ground zero for the omicron explosion.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

https://twitter.com/taliaotg/status/1471487310638297092

Eyo people literally getting arrested over trying to eat at Applebees like they think they're Freedom Riders or doing anti-segregation diner sit-ins or some shit.

And of all fuckin places Applebees? Really? I mean, they're not Arby's so they've got that going for them, but you couldn't pick somewhere like...actually good that people want to go? Applebees is what you settle for when you want to go out but you don't want to spend much and are fine with mediocrity. It's like going to Cheesecake Factory. You don't go for the food, you go to get outta the house and get some moderately acceptable food.

My favorite part is that these stupid fucks suck at this, and also are liars. Like, I get that protesting itself is performative in nature, that's the game. But like, lying about how you've "never gone to a protest before this" despite ample public pictures of you at protests and rallies? Just why? That's such a stupid and pointless lie that undermines any credibility they may have wanted for the message they were protesting about.

Seriously, what a bunch of Downey-soft ultra-snowflakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    There is a small chance though that Omicron could be a blessing in disguise. All depends how serious the symptoms are, and IIRC it's too soon to tell. If the symptoms are mild, especially with the unvaccinated people, herd immunity can be achieved. But anyhow still better to get those booster shots.
    The problem is, we wont hit herd immunity like that. We have vaccinated people how mixed with the unvaccinated, impeding its ability to infect everyone who hasn't had a vaccine. Not only that, but you get into the huge problem we have had this entire time: its mutating at a high rate. It would mutate again before herd immunity as well. Just like the Delta variant has. Who knows how much more resistant to the vaccines a new strain would be. Omicron is already really resistant, meaning now even those of us vaccinated get to suffer again thanks to the anti-vax people.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    The problem is, we wont hit herd immunity like that. We have vaccinated people how mixed with the unvaccinated, impeding its ability to infect everyone who hasn't had a vaccine. Not only that, but you get into the huge problem we have had this entire time: its mutating at a high rate. It would mutate again before herd immunity as well. Just like the Delta variant has. Who knows how much more resistant to the vaccines a new strain would be. Omicron is already really resistant, meaning now even those of us vaccinated get to suffer again thanks to the anti-vax people.
    Herd immunity has been impossible for a long time. The transmissibility of the virus is high enough that we'd need a 100% vaccination rate by a nearly 100% effective vaccine to achieve herd immunity, and that's just not doable.

This was true even with delta before omicron.

With herd immunity an impossible goal, this virus will go endemic instead.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Case rate in San Francisco, or to be more precise positive test result, is going up. The city has been averaging 100 new cases per day for the last week. People are out and about doing their shopping and bar hopping. Last weekend SantaCon was pretty wild. Union Square is packed with shoppers. The waiting list to go ice skating in Union Square is quite long. So I am not surprised.

Hospitalization is flat at low to mid 30s. Three Covid-related deaths so far in December. All three unvaccinated. Yes. Those do exist in San Francisco.

As of yesterday, 80% of San Francisco population are fully vaccinated. Approximately 86% of all residents with at least one dose. About 84% of eligible residents (5 and older) are fully vaccinated and 92.5% of eligible residents have received at least one dose. It looks like 100% vaccination for eligible residents is within reach. Or close to that. Apparently the vaccines still work since Covid hospitalization and mortality are low in San Francisco.

It should be noted that, per Monica Gandhi, the Covid hospitalization numbers in San Francisco are inflated. Regardless of the reason for admissions, the patient get tested for Covid. If the patient tested positive, regardless of the circumstances of the illness, the bed is classified as being occupied by a Covid infected patient.

I could attest to the fact that they tested everybody for Covid in San Francisco. When my wife had kidney infection several weeks back, the first thing the nurse did was swab her nose.

The state exempted 5 Bay Area counties (San Francisco, Alameda, Marin, Contra Costa and Sonoma) from the indoor mask mandate. In these 5 counties mask mandates are exempted certain settings such as offices and gyms where stable cohorts of 100% vaccinated individuals gather. Apparently, it applies to bars where all the people are 100% vaccinated. SFGate article on SantaCon showed packed bars with no mask in sight. I am actually a bit confused there.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-12-16 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    The state exempted 5 Bay Area counties (San Francisco, Alameda, Marin, Contra Costa and Sonoma) from the indoor mask mandate. In these 5 counties mask mandates are exempted certain settings such as offices and gyms where stable cohorts of 100% vaccinated individuals gather. Apparently, it applies to bars where all the people are 100% vaccinated. SFGate article on SantaCon showed packed bars with no mask in sight. I am actually a bit confused there.
    I've been pleased to see we're doing well enough that we can be voluntarily exempt, but I'm largely still following state guidance. I did eat at an indoor restaurant for the first time since this shit began, only a few folks inside and it was a big room and all. It's been ages and it felt kinda nice.

Though I wouldn't want to try to police SantaCon. That's just a drunken shitshow every year, the best you can do is try to contain and limit the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I've been pleased to see we're doing well enough that we can be voluntarily exempt, but I'm largely still following state guidance. I did eat at an indoor restaurant for the first time since this shit began, only a few folks inside and it was a big room and all. It's been ages and it felt kinda nice.

Though I wouldn't want to try to police SantaCon. That's just a drunken shitshow every year, the best you can do is try to contain and limit the madness.
    It is probably wise not to get in the way of a bunch of drunken santas and elfs.

- - - Updated - - -

According to Regeneron their monoclonal antibody treatment has “diminished potency” against omicron but remains useful against delta. Although we now have, or will have, AstraZeneca Evusheld, Pfizer and Merck antiviral pills.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is probably wise not to get in the way of a bunch of drunken santas and elfs during a pandemic.
    Fixed that for y--

Wait.... No. <sigh>

On second thought, you had it right the first time.
    It is probably wise not to get in the way of a bunch of drunken santas and elfs during a pandemic.
    Yeah, that's better.

Apologies. Carry on.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

The second record-breaking day in a row here for new cases: 78610 yesterday, 88376 today. R rate is estimated to be between 3 and 5. This time next week we'll know how bad it really is.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    The second record-breaking day in a row here for new cases: 78610 yesterday, 88376 today. R rate is estimated to be between 3 and 5. This time next week we'll know how bad it really is.
    We're testing way more currently than we have since march 2021 and the tests per covid case found has remained stable since november 2021. So hopefully it wont be as bad as the media like to make it out to be?

Finally got my booster, yay. Had a lovely chat with the guy giving me the shot, we just bashed on anti-vax idiots for a while.

And hey, the free booster shot came with a 10% discount coupon for the grocery store where I got it. So that'll save me a few bucks on my next grocery trip. I think Charlie Sheen would call that "Bi-winning"

Finally got my booster, yay. Had a lovely chat with the guy giving me the shot, we just bashed on anti-vax idiots for a while.

And hey, the free booster shot came with a 10% discount coupon for the grocery store where I got it. So that'll save me a few bucks on my next grocery trip. I think Charlie Sheen would call that "Bi-winning"
    Gratz. I don't remember getting anything. I want a do over.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Fixed that for y--

Wait.... No. <sigh>

On second thought, you had it right the first time.

Yeah, that's better.

Apologies. Carry on.
    How can you hate on that. No wonder the covid cases kept going up.

My favorite part is that these stupid fucks suck at this, and also are liars. Like, I get that protesting itself is performative in nature, that's the game. But like, lying about how you've "never gone to a protest before this" despite ample public pictures of you at protests and rallies? Just why? That's such a stupid and pointless lie that undermines any credibility they may have wanted for the message they were protesting about.
    The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trials for 4th booster started in local hospital.

I imagine we will start doing 4th booster in 2 months or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah mine was similar, and I was surprise. One, because of where I live, and B of all, because I know that one of our pharmacists is married to a guy who works there and he is adamantly conspiracy nutter, anti-mask crazy. But the lady who gave me the shot was pretty agreeing with me talking about my co-workers not wearing masks and at least a couple being anti-vaxx.

Oh hey, speaking of, had a co-worker die of covid recently. I liked her too. And I've noticed that it has changed...nothing. They left a goddamn memorial for her in the front of the store. And yet did nothing to try to prevent it from happening again.

Ended up getting a Moderna booster after the first two Pfizer rounds. Felt a little meh the morning after, but otherwise no problems.

Im not an antivaccer but the way that some countries are spamming shots on people kind of scare me now.

My absolute limit will be one booster per year and hopefully not in the rest of my life but it seems that we are heading to ”get four shots per year or be excluded from society”.

”Take three shots, its great against omicrom, btw take this supershot 100 days after while youre at it”. Uh.. isnt this similar to things antivaccer warned us about before?
    Last edited by Redshirtz; 2021-12-17 at 02:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redshirtz View Post
    Im not an antivaccer
    Correct. You are however showing signs of being an antivaxxer.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Well I hope that the vaccines will make covid turn into a regular yearly virus so we can skip vaccines and stop worrying about. I hope that day will come soon.

And the reason I said that is because ive already taken two shots and waiting for a third, but I will in no way take more than one per year.
    Last edited by Redshirtz; 2021-12-17 at 02:18 PM.