Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Non-peer reviewed study that doesn't account for boosters. Offers some temporary protection from transmission, but let's see how the data is looking once we're getting peer reviewed studies on boosted folks.

Seems like a good reason to go get boosters and see what the data says, in the hopes that the booster affords more, and longer protection both against the strains of the virus and against transmission.
    Just keep getting your boosters every 3 months until it wears off again. I'm sure big pharma loves you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Yes it does.

- - - Updated - - -

It's just more anti-vax BS that is wearing a nice dress and some makeup.

That's all @GreenJesus is doing -- just putting polish on anti-vax sentiment and pretending it's a valid viewpoint. If there were any justice those people would have the consequences they keep imagining.
    It "helps" reduce viral load, but vaccinated people still spread the virus almost as effectively as non-vaccinated people.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Just keep getting your boosters every 3 months until it wears off again. I'm sure big pharma loves you.
    Except that, again, we don't know how much longer the boosters afford protection against transmission. But hey, you've already made up your mind and nothing will apparently change that. It's good that science just "stops" sometimes and you never have to update your opinions, views, or knowledge to reflect new facts or information. Just feels.

10+ Year Old Account
    It "helps" reduce viral load, but vaccinated people still spread the virus almost as effectively as non-vaccinated people.
    Even if I take your post at face value and not the misinformation it is -- you are still making a case for why people should be immunized and boosted.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    The vaccines barely if at all stop transmission of the virus.
    No, sorry. You might try reading the actual source before making these bullshit claims. It might save you some time and effort.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah, bruv. You can keep repeating it, but it won't make it true.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

The study shows that people who become infected with the Delta variant are less likely to pass the virus to their close contacts if they have already had a COVID-19 vaccine than if they haven’t1. But that protective effect is relatively small, and dwindles alarmingly at three months after the receipt of the second shot.

The findings add to scientists’ understanding of the vaccination’s effect on curbing Delta’s spread, but are “both more and less encouraging”, says Marm Kilpatrick, an infectious-disease researcher at the University of California, Santa Cruz.

Previous studies have found that people infected with Delta have roughly the same levels of viral genetic materials in their noses regardless of whether they’d previously been vaccinated, suggesting that vaccinated and unvaccinated people might be equally infectious2.
    There are two major caveats:

The vaccinated are less likely to become infected (assuming they behave the same), and previous studies have shown that the vaccinated, even if they might be as contagious at the peak, are contagious for a shorter period of time - so overall they are likely to spread it less.
    https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/2315...mission-delta/

But if vaccines are less effective in stopping the spread the logical conclusion is that it's more important to get the vaccine yourself, since the vaccination of others have a less effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Even if I take your post at face value and not the misinformation it is -- you are still making a case for why people should be immunized and boosted.
    I got my 2 shots because I thought the vaccines were effective and it was worth never having to worry about covid again and I could live my life like normal and everything goes back to normal. Turns out that isn't true anymore and I'll need to inject myself with covid every 3-6 months to protect myself for when I MAYBE get exposed to Covid. I'll just exercise 4x a week, get some sun, and take my vitamin C. THAT is the best medicine against covid. Being healthy and not overweight while sitting in a room with tin foil wrapped over me stressed I might get what is for my age group mostly just a common cold.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2021-12-20 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    There are two major caveats:

The vaccinated are less likely to become infected (assuming they behave the same), and previous studies have shown that the vaccinated, even if they might be as contagious at the peak, are contagious for a shorter period of time - so overall they are likely to spread it less.
    https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/2315...mission-delta/

But if vaccines are less effective in stopping the spread the logical conclusion is that it's more important to get the vaccine yourself, since the vaccination of others have a less effect.
    This is true even for Omicron for fully vaccinated individuals. By the time you found out that you tested positive, had your mucous specimen sequenced, your infectious phase is already over.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got my 2 shots because I thought the vaccines were effective and it was worth never having to worry about covid again and I could live my life like normal and everything goes back to normal. Turns out that isn't true anymore and I'll need to inject myself with covid every 3-6 months to protect myself for when I MAYBE get exposed to Covid.
    More bullshit.

First, it's probably a typo, but you're not injecting yourself with covid.

Second, you make it sound like it's "every 3-6 months [for forever]", which it's not.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    More bullshit.

First, it's probably a typo, but you're not injecting yourself with covid.

Second, you make it sound like it's "every 3-6 months [for forever]", which it's not.
    What makes you think you won't need a 4th booster or 5th booster after the 3-6 months are over?

I got my 2 shots because I thought the vaccines were effective and it was worth never having to worry about covid again and I could live my life like normal and everything goes back to normal. Turns out that isn't true anymore and I'll need to inject myself with covid every 3-6 months to protect myself for when I MAYBE get exposed to Covid. I'll just exercise 4x a week, get some sun, and take my vitamin C. THAT is the best medicine against covid. Being healthy and not overweight while sitting in a room with tin foil wrapped over me.
    Life is normal here. Metallica had their 40th anniversary concerts on the 17th and 19th at Chase Center. I watched the free live stream on Prime for a bit, it was packed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Life is normal here. Metallica had their 40th anniversary concerts on the 17th and 19th at Chase Center. I watched the free live stream on Prime for a bit, it was packed.
    Luckily here in Orange County no one is following Gavin Newsom's orders, but technically we are supposed to be wearing masks indoors again. Got my haircut and no one wore a mask, went to a restaurant and no one wore a mask including the servers. Life is good. Fuck Newsom. I did have to wear a mask at the movie theater to see Spooderman tho.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2021-12-20 at 10:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What makes you think you won't need a 4th booster or 5th booster after the 3-6 months are over?
    That's hardly forever, now is it? The first booster (3rd shot) was called for by delta. A second may potentially be called for by omicron, but we're not there yet (Israel proactiveness aside).

At some point, the world will have built up enough communal resistance to limit how quickly the virus can spread and mutate. That's what it means to move from a pandemic phase to an endemic phase. At that point, we may not even have boosters at all, let alone yearly boosters like for the flu, and certainly not every 3-6 months.

Your understanding of the pre-print study was flawed, and what you're suggesting is inevitable simply isn't.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Turns out that isn't true anymore and I'll need to inject myself with covid every 3-6 months to protect myself for when I MAYBE get exposed to Covid.
    In which you're literally just making shit up to justify your persecution complex.

I'll just exercise 4x a week, get some sun, and take my vitamin C. THAT is the best medicine against covid.
    Okay Joe Rogan, PHd.

That's hardly forever, now is it? The first booster (3rd shot) was called for by delta. A second may potentially be called for by omicron, but we're not there yet (Israel proactiveness aside).

At some point, the world will have built up enough communal resistance to limit how quickly the virus can spread and mutate. That's what it means to move from a pandemic phase to an endemic phase. At that point, we may not even have boosters at all, let alone yearly boosters like for the flu, and certainly not every 3-6 months.

Your understanding of the pre-print study was flawed, and what you're suggesting is inevitable simply isn't.
    Omicron seems to be less deadly than the other variants yet leaders around the world are overreacting to it and abusing their power like Gavin Newsom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Omicron seems to be less deadly than the other variants yet leaders around the world are overreacting to it and abusing their power like Gavin Newsom.
    You shouldn't be so quick to label omicron as less deadly, because the science doesn't support that statement at this point.

Also, omicron is far, far more transmissible, so vaccinations are even more important than ever to combat its spread. This winter is going to be rough.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad mmoc is getting diligent about banning people who spread covid misinformation. Pity it isn't perma.
    Forum badass alert:
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

You shouldn't be so quick to label omicron as less deadly, because the science doesn't support that statement at this point.

Also, omicron is far, far more transmissible, so vaccinations are even more important than ever to combat its spread. This winter is going to be rough.
    We are just starting to see the tip of the iceberg. Florida 7 days case per 100k doubled over the weekend to 234.5. Miami-Dade is up to 424.85. Over 300% increase in a couple of days. New hospital admission jumped to 258. Over 60% increase. Since we are talking Florida, we won't see the real mortality number for another month.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    We are just starting to see the tip of the iceberg. Florida 7 days case per 100k doubled over the weekend to 234.5. Miami-Dade is up to 424.85. Over 300% increase in a couple of days. New hospital admission jumped to 258. Over 60% increase. Since we are talking Florida, we won't see the real mortality number for another month.
    Well, we're unlikely to have very reliable numbers for the next 3 weeks or so throughout the entire US.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    CNN is reporting that Omicron is now dominant in the US.

That happened very fast…

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    CNN is reporting that Omicron is now dominant in the US.

That happened very fast…
    That's per CDC numbers - https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...s-say/2712039/

Omicron has raced ahead of other variants and is now the dominant version of the coronavirus in the U.S., accounting for 73% of new infections last week, federal health officials said Monday.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention numbers showed nearly a six-fold increase in omicron's share of infections in only one week.
    I forget how quickly delta overtook alpha (I think that's the first strain), but this seems like the same thing all over. New strain comes in that's even more contagious, starts shitwrecking everything.

Just in time for the holidays. Oh joy.