I'm more surprised by how callous people are being about the idea of the virus being more deadly to the elderly.

People making jokes about how useless the elderly are, how they are fine with "boomers" dying, that sort of degeneracy.

I mean, I guess I'm not terrible surprised, seeing how some folks at least in the US abuse and neglect their elderly, but it's still distasteful to see.
    I don't think you appreciate how callous the elderly were to the young.

Here in the UK the elderly have consistently voted in a conservative government that made life extremely difficult for the young, especially the poor, disabled, ethnic minorities and the vulnerable generally. One estimate of the numbers of dead from their austerity polices was 180,000. That same government was just elected-you have to wade through homeless people in many areas to get to your house.

It is difficult to believe the elderly in general gave a shit so I'm not surprised you get total indifference among the young to their plight now. After all, the young didn't do this-they did. They just thought other people would die of neglect and they would be fine. I voted for the left-wing opposition-had they done so, then there would be a lot more in the way of beds and resources to treat them now.

The US is in pretty much the same position with both Trump and Biden voters being older on average. Hundreds of thousands of Americans will die as a direct result. Many kids will just think "its not my problem". And it isn't. They can't do anything about it anyway, even if they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    https://www.globalresearch.ca/china-...lated_articles

might want to take a look at this. *hopefully it's fake. would be pretty messed up if it were actually true.*

I don't know about other countries, but just saw that Japanese TV posted something similar, that the virus originated in the US.
    Your source is site that is self-proclaimed as being an "alternative" media source, take from that what you will. People that have more experience with it know it to be on par with sites such as info wars. It's completely untrustworthy. It's a propaganda pushing site, not a news site. Just clicking on the logo to go to the front page would instantly have alerted you.

Also the virus is believed by experts all around world to most likely originate from a pangolin, as the virus is very similar to other corona viruses carried by those animals. These kind of animals live in a lot of countries but they don't live in North or South America. But they do exist in China. Where some people consider it a delicacy. Not to mention that your article doesn't contain any actual proof or evidence just baseless speculation.

The things we know so far:

First outbreak happened in China.
    Source most likely a Chinese species of pangolin.
    The vast majority of zoonosis in the history of our species originated in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    God people are stupid. All the shelves are empty. For nothing. Stocking up on months of toilet paper for a virus that lasts two weeks. If you're gonna go crazy over that, you might as well hoard all the time since you can always get sick. People trying to shop normally, can't, and that's more upsetting than the idea of actually getting the virus. Our store is changing its hours and shutting departments down early, because, as I said, people are really stupid. Stop making my life worse, crazy people.
    Don't forget ammo. Seems some gun shops are empty of ammunition as well. TP and ammo panic buying. no clue..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    My brother is in Hong Kong, and he told me all his business meetings are like this with masks on.
    HK is still reporting cases, not many..but still are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    I'm more surprised by how callous people are being about the idea of the virus being more deadly to the elderly.

People making jokes about how useless the elderly are, how they are fine with "boomers" dying, that sort of degeneracy.

I mean, I guess I'm not terrible surprised, seeing how some folks at least in the US abuse and neglect their elderly, but it's still distasteful to see.
    That nursing home full of people with nowhere to go. Heart breaking. T.T

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by P for Pancetta View Post
    Your source is site that is self-proclaimed as being an "alternative" media source, take from that what you will. People that have more experience with it know it to be on par with sites such as info wars. It's completely untrustworthy. It's a propaganda pushing site, not a news site. Just clicking on the logo to go to the front page would instantly have alerted you.

Also the virus is believed by experts all around world to most likely originate from a pangolin, as the virus is very similar to other corona viruses carried by those animals. These kind of animals live in a lot of countries but they don't live in North or South America. But they do exist in China. Where some people consider it a delicacy. Not to mention that your article doesn't contain any actual proof or evidence just baseless speculation.

The things we know so far:

First outbreak happened in China.
    Source most likely a Chinese species of pangolin.
    The vast majority of zoonosis in the history of our species originated in China.
    They seem to change sources, early on the pangolin was suspected as a possible source. *glad bats got ruled out*

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    They probaly stockpiled on beans..... a lot of them.

Store in my area put on a note of DONT GO INSIDE IF YOU ARE SICK.
    Stocking up on beans will have your place smelling not fresh. lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    I talked to a Chinese friend today who reacted when I wrote: "the virus originated in China and spread to Europe". She said "it's unsure if it originated in China", I told her "eh, it originated in Wuhan". She wrote something about world peace and then unfriended me, lol.

Also, anyone else finds it unbelievable that Thailand only has about 80 reported cases so far? Anyone who's been in Thailand knows that like, 40% of the tourists there during jan-march are Chinese.
    Cambodia for awhile had none, suddenly 1..now only 3. They get A LOT of Chinese tourism. I went there for 9 days. I should have stayed longer.

My gf thought the news about cv coming from USA was true at first, now she doesn't think so. There are just no solid facts that support that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Is there any reason for the toilet paper hoarding here?
    In Taiwan/Hong Kong it was cause people were fed misinformation about masks using the same material (they are not) thus it'll lead to a shortage of toilet paper.
    There was a shop in vietnam selling masks made of TP, i think it got shut down quick and fined.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Don't forget ammo. Seems some gun shops are empty of ammunition as well. TP and ammo panic buying. no clue..
    ... Makes it sound as if ya'll be prepping for The Walking Dead: Reality edition.

If one has loaded firearms and TP, what else can one desire?

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    ... Makes it sound as if ya'll be prepping for The Walking Dead: Reality edition.

If one has loaded firearms and TP, what else can one desire?
    Going to need ammunition to hunt your own food when the food supply dries out

/s
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

15+ Year Old Account
    so i've been kinda thinking about something after seeing a post on facebook earlier. on christmas actually the niught before i went to go to sleep and i started having flu like symptoms bad chills body aches and i developed a pretty nasty cough. so im wondering if there was a strain of it going around then here in the states cause this wasnt like the normal flu it was a fuckton worse
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    Going to need ammunition to hunt your own food when the food supply dries out

/s
    Yea! meanwhile using dry leaves or carry a roll of tp on the go. :P

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.yahoo.com/news/17-700-bo...155735689.html

Just saw this. Man has a massive supply of hand sanitizer and is unable to sell the bottles. *Looks like he's trying to price gouge for them* People like this disgust me...

It's funny how people think it will blow over in 2 weeks while it started in Dec/Jan in China and they are just now getting back to normal.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/world...und-the-world/

Italians in lockdown, singing from their homes/balconies! Sing on man..Sing on!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Except you called it a guess, or even wild-assed-guess (WAG) and didn't mention herd immunity as if you didn't know that it was the basis for that estimate.
    You act as though herd immunity is a new or unknown concept. In fact, it has been in the news very recently due to the resurgence of measles, even in the US.

No, I didn't feel the need to mention it because it didn't make a difference in the precise rate being a guess at this point. Literally the second post of mine you quoted talked about there being a scientific basis for a broad range, but not a specific number, just as I outlined in more detail in my last post.

There's no scientific consensus for the base R0 of this virus, let alone for the global R0 range, which means there can't be a consensus on the herd immunity equation, which is already an approximation and not hard fact.

So, yeah, it's all a fairly broad guess at this point.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Roxinius View Post
    so i've been kinda thinking about something after seeing a post on facebook earlier. on christmas actually the niught before i went to go to sleep and i started having flu like symptoms bad chills body aches and i developed a pretty nasty cough. so im wondering if there was a strain of it going around then here in the states cause this wasnt like the normal flu it was a fuckton worse
    I have seen theories about the virus having been present in the US far earlier than people think.
    But they are just theories, and not the scientific kind. <.<

15+ Year Old Account
    I have seen theories about the virus having been present in the US far earlier than people think.
    But they are just theories, and not the scientific kind. <.<
    like i said it just made me wonder cause i had the symptoms of it and it lasted the time frame just a little over 2 weeks
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxinius View Post
    like i said it just made me wonder cause i had the symptoms of it and it lasted the time frame just a little over 2 weeks
    so did you develop a cough, fever?
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post

Considering how many people of the "boomer" generation are currently elected (McConnell and most Republicans his age) are determined to fuck over the younger generation, I'm not very surprised by ill-wishes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    so did you develop a cough, fever?
    it was a really bad cough and yeah i was running a fever
    Get your shit together

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Considering how many people of the "boomer" generation are currently elected (McConnell and most Republicans his age) are determined to fuck over the younger generation, I'm not very surprised by ill-wishes.
    Well, none of my "boomers" ever tried to fuck over any generation.

Maybe the people being flippant simply don't have any loved ones in the boomer group.

Maybe the people being flippant simply don't have any loved ones in the boomer group.
    Every generation has their asshats. Just some generations have a few more than others. :P

10+ Year Old Account

You have less shitty family members in that generation than I do then. 3/4 of my maternal grandparents voted for Trump, 2/3 of those that voted for Trump remained Trump supporters.

Though I suppose that doesn't really count as loved ones, since I'm quite estranged from all of my grandparents (my maternal grandparents resent me for a variety of reasons born of their own prejudices, and I avoid contact with anyone in my paternal family).
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2020-03-15 at 02:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

first grocery store run since it started... was a bit surreal... all meats gone minus some pork stuff. ALL milk gone, most cheeses gone, can goods low, drinks low, crackers low... calm down folks.. The saddest part is that i suspect a lot of this hoarded food will go bad before it gets used
    oh they did have some TP Though if needed lol
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    first grocery store run since it started... was a bit surreal... all meats gone minus some pork stuff. ALL milk gone, most cheeses gone, can goods low, drinks low, crackers low... calm down folks.. The saddest part is that i suspect a lot of this hoarded food will go bad before it gets used
    oh they did have some TP Though if needed lol
    Went to the store as well recently. Didn't check TP, but they were rather low on bread and meat. Unusually low.

The best part? I don't think we even have Corona yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?