Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    As I have said since the beginning, this is one of the big problems with trying to get one side to listen to you to wear your mask and get your shots, because time after time these rich and powerful people are caught time and time again breaking the rules, the same rules they have lambasted others for breaking.
    Who the fuck cares what they do, though? Like, wearing a mask and getting vaccinated is in the self interest of every person. Not getting a shot/wearing a mask because some vaccinated and boosted celebrity went to a major event where they'd be on TV and didn't wear a mask is about the most deadbrained shit possible. It's like not wearing your seatbelt because you saw a celebrity driving around without one.

LA mayor at the game again without a mask, I wonder if he was holding his breath again? This type of shit just infuriates me as someone who has obeyed the rules and wears a mask, as well as getting boostered. /rant.
    Sure, it's annoying. But it's also largely not a major issue, either. Especially given that we know these folks are likely surrounding themselves with other folks who are vaccinated and largely abiding by the rules elsewhere. It's the same shit as the bad faith concern trolling from the 2020 summer protests, which didn't result in massive outbreaks because we didn't have omicron to deal with and the folks protesting and not wearing masks were largely abiding by the rules elsewhere. That meant less chances for someone to arrive infected and spread it.

The emphasis/effort/attention given to fairly trivial "gotcha" shit like this is wild to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Who the fuck cares what they do, though? Like, wearing a mask and getting vaccinated is in the self interest of every person. Not getting a shot/wearing a mask because some vaccinated and boosted celebrity went to a major event where they'd be on TV and didn't wear a mask is about the most deadbrained shit possible. It's like not wearing your seatbelt because you saw a celebrity driving around without one.

Sure, it's annoying. But it's also largely not a major issue, either. Especially given that we know these folks are likely surrounding themselves with other folks who are vaccinated and largely abiding by the rules elsewhere. It's the same shit as the bad faith concern trolling from the 2020 summer protests, which didn't result in massive outbreaks because we didn't have omicron to deal with and the folks protesting and not wearing masks were largely abiding by the rules elsewhere. That meant less chances for someone to arrive infected and spread it.

The emphasis/effort/attention given to fairly trivial "gotcha" shit like this is wild to me.
    People always watch what the powerful do, they have influence. The point is trying to get as many of the assholes who want to be morons onto slowing the spread train as much as possible. While you won't reach the majority, even getting a small percentage of the people on the fence to treat this shit seriously is helpful. There is no attempt at a gatcha, this is just a bunch of powerful breaking the rules and doing exactly what they have bashed others for. California is still seeing a lot of cases a day, with over 8000 still hospitalized.

The point is trying to get as many of the assholes who want to be morons onto slowing the spread train as much as possible.
    If they're not masking or vaxxed at this point, watching some liberal celebrity/politician without a mask on at a major event isn't going to change someone's mind.

While you won't reach the majority, even getting a small percentage of the people on the fence to treat this shit seriously is helpful.
    Not helpful? Sure.
    Harmful? Actively disagree.

This is essentially fodder for the gossip page, not meaningful news. They're not contributing to folks not masking/getting vaxed, and like every one of us sometimes wants to bend/break the rules when it's a lower risk environment like at a major stadium where you're in a box with a few other folks you know are vaccinated and probably tested before showing up to the event.

There is no attempt at a gatcha, this is just a bunch of powerful breaking the rules and doing exactly what they have bashed others for. California is still seeing a lot of cases a day, with over 8000 still hospitalized.
    Alright, but like, that's connecting to different things. This is like the "outrage" over Newsom eating at the French Laundry that helped trigger a recall...that he handily won because it was always a joke of a thing to be "outraged" over.

My point being is that this is just pointless outrage bait that's being highlighted because it drives clicks, not because it's meaningful news or information. It's not significant, it really is a "gotcha" because there's nothing broader connected to it.

If they're not masking or vaxxed at this point, watching some liberal celebrity/politician without a mask on at a major event isn't going to change someone's mind.

Not helpful? Sure.
    Harmful? Actively disagree.

This is essentially fodder for the gossip page, not meaningful news. They're not contributing to folks not masking/getting vaxed, and like every one of us sometimes wants to bend/break the rules when it's a lower risk environment like at a major stadium where you're in a box with a few other folks you know are vaccinated and probably tested before showing up to the event.

Alright, but like, that's connecting to different things. This is like the "outrage" over Newsom eating at the French Laundry that helped trigger a recall...that he handily won because it was always a joke of a thing to be "outraged" over.

My point being is that this is just pointless outrage bait that's being highlighted because it drives clicks, not because it's meaningful news or information. It's not significant, it really is a "gotcha" because there's nothing broader connected to it.
    I will just have to respectively disagree with you, while I agree with it wont change anyone as far as getting vaccinated, I do see it impact people and masking. Just because something is lower risk does not mean you should start breaking the rules. People had every right to be pissed at Newsom when the Laundry thing happened(I believe I was the one who posted the pic in this thread back when it happened). While it is anecdotal I saw people change their behavior after that shit. At the time I worked at a gas station so I saw 300+ everyday, 70% being regulars you see almost everyday. I saw a bunch just say fuck this and they stopped wearing their mask. This is why I feel it is so important for our leaders to follow the rules they set, because I saw in my area what happened when they broke them.
    Last edited by Deus Mortis; 2022-02-14 at 08:48 PM.

I will just have to respectively disagree with you, while I agree with it wont change anyone as far as getting vaccinated, I do see it impact people and masking.
    If an incident like this is enough to alter someone's behavior when it comes to masking, they were looking for an excuse to begin with. Again, masking remains a self-benefit even if the protection it affords you is lower (though better with a N95) vs. the protection it affords others. So selfishly, it's in your best interest. Doubly if you give a fraction of a shit about your fellow human, it's also in your collective interset.

If a famous person/politician being unmasked briefly at a big event like this is enough for you to toss your mask, then that's purely on that individual.

People had every right to be pissed at Newsom when the Laundry thing happened(I believe I was the one who posted the pic in this thread back when it happened).
    Angry? Sure, I was non-plussed. But angry enough to try to recall him during a pandemic that our state has largely done a fairly good job with? Naw, that's just bullshit.

At the time I worked at a gas station so I saw 300+ everyday, 70% being regulars you see almost everyday. I saw a bunch just say fuck this and they stopped wearing their mask.
    Sure, over time folks get lax. But that's on them and them alone. I still mask up every time I go to the gas station/store, and so does the clerk at the gas station. It's really simple shit, but folks keep talking about masks like they're some huge burden or some shit.

If your halitosis breath stinks, brush your fuckin teeth and pop a breath mint or some shit. You only have yourself to blame for your stank-ass breath.

This is why I feel it is so important for our leaders to follow the rules they set, because I saw in my area what happened when they broke them.
    They do, largely. Which is why, while it may be frustrating, I'm not gonna fault them if they don't abide by them 100% all the time. I don't either, though I try. But their failure to comply once, or twice, in the span of a year or two is fairly trivial, dontcha know?

As I have said since the beginning, this is one of the big problems with trying to get one side to listen to you to wear your mask and get your shots, because time after time these rich and powerful people are caught time and time again breaking the rules, the same rules they have lambasted others for breaking. LA mayor at the game again without a mask, I wonder if he was holding his breath again? This type of shit just infuriates me as someone who has obeyed the rules and wears a mask, as well as getting boostered. /rant.
    This type of 'one rule for us, one rule for them' is corrosive. We have seen in the UK, and now we are seeing it again.

If it's ok to be mask-less in big crowds (at least for vaccinated) as in some countries, it should be ok for everyone - not just for some.
    And I still don't get this focus on children in the US as the mask-mandate in schools will continue - while removing the general ones as it's not primarily a childhood disease - the risk increases exponentially with age.

And generally there seems to be an over-reliance on masks - I can understand using masks to reduce unavoidable risks (like in health-care settings, when buying grocers, getting to work if you cannot work from home), but gatherings tens of thousands loud-mouthed fans in a packed arena isn't unavoidable.

- - - Updated - - -

If a famous person/politician being unmasked briefly at a big event like this is enough for you to toss your mask, then that's purely on that individual.
    Do you honestly believe that most of the famous persons were masked except for brief moments?

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Do you honestly believe that most of the famous persons were masked except for brief moments?
    No, but that's what we saw. And, at least for the politicians, you routinely see them abiding by the guidance and wearing masks etc. That they occasionally don't, like Stacey Abrams being unmasked for a photo with children - after being masked throughout the event, taking it off to read to them at a safe distance, and then quickly scooting over for a picture without remembering to put her mask on. Yet despite this brief, momentary, very human lapse, she was excoriated by bad faith anti-maskers to the point where she was forced to issue a fuckin appology over what was a simple mistake.

It's different when someone who regularly abides by the rules forgets to do so momentarily, vs. folks that proudly brag about flouting the rules constantly. The risks associated with each individual, as I referenced earlier when talking about the 2020 summer protests, is not remotely the same, nor is the intent behind the failure to wear a mask.

It's all incredibly bad faith bullshit for folks to use as a pathetic excuse to justify their own shitty behavior.

No, but that's what we saw. And, at least for the politicians, you routinely see them abiding by the guidance and wearing masks etc. That they occasionally don't, like Stacey Abrams being unmasked for a photo with children - after being masked throughout the event, taking it off to read to them at a safe distance, and then quickly scooting over for a picture without remembering to put her mask on. Yet despite this brief, momentary, very human lapse, she was excoriated by bad faith anti-maskers to the point where she was forced to issue a fuckin appology over what was a simple mistake.

It's different when someone who regularly abides by the rules forgets to do so momentarily, vs. folks that proudly brag about flouting the rules constantly. The risks associated with each individual, as I referenced earlier when talking about the 2020 summer protests, is not remotely the same, nor is the intent behind the failure to wear a mask.

It's all incredibly bad faith bullshit for folks to use as a pathetic excuse to justify their own shitty behavior.
    To me you're trying to handwave away these people breaking the rules just because the republicans have complete disregard for them like it somehow makes it ok. Yes some of the instances was simple human error on forgetting to put on a mask, but can you honestly tell me all of them were mistakes and not blatant disregard for the rules they have implemented and when caught they just make up bullshit excuses like Newsom and especially the LA Mayor. Not everyone who is bashing these politicians/rich folk are doing so to justify our behavior, some of us just want to see these people follow their own rules that we have been following constantly for the past 2 years. So when they do fuck up we hold their feet to the fire, like all politicians should be held to.
    Last edited by Deus Mortis; 2022-02-15 at 12:36 AM.

To me you're trying to handwave away these people breaking the rules just because the republicans have complete disregard for them like it somehow makes it ok.
    No, I'm saying that folks are making too much out of small events.

but can you honestly tell me all of them were mistakes and not blatant disregard for the rules they have implemented and when caught they just make up bullshit excuses like Newsom and especially the LA Mayor.
    Stuff like Abrams? Yeah, a mistake. Stuff like Garsetti? Dumb comments, but not worth the hyperventilation over. The only reason these incidents get so much focus compared to their actual significance is because these are folks that largely abide by and promote the best practices.

Similar events from the anti-mask/vaccine crows elicit little to no attention.

Not everyone who is bashing these politicians/rich folk are doing so to justify our behavior, some of us just want to see these people follow their own rules that we have been following constantly for the past 2 years.
    Sure, I'd like them to consistently follow the rules to. But should they fail to, that has absolutely no bearing on me and my adherence to the rules, as recommended by medical professionals.

No, I'm saying that folks are making too much out of small events.

Stuff like Abrams? Yeah, a mistake. Stuff like Garsetti? Dumb comments, but not worth the hyperventilation over. The only reason these incidents get so much focus compared to their actual significance is because these are folks that largely abide by and promote the best practices.

Similar events from the anti-mask/vaccine crows elicit little to no attention.

Sure, I'd like them to consistently follow the rules to. But should they fail to, that has absolutely no bearing on me and my adherence to the rules, as recommended by medical professionals.
    Yeah people do make things into a bigger deal than they should be. Similar events from the anti vax/mask crowd should be blasted. I would love to see these people blasted for their dangerous actions. Also onto the 3rd part, I agree. It has been why through all of it I have done all I can to keep myself and my family safe. My friend group has done the same. However like I said in my edit above, when these people fuck up I want to see them held to the fire for their actions. At times that can be a nod like yeah you messed up try not to do it again, no big deal, and at other times it is like what the fuck are you doing, and what is wrong with you, with the possibility of punishment if it is warranted.

Edit: I am from Cali so since these people represent me and my family and friends, I expect better of them than what I see in other states, largely they do a good job, but when they mess up I will be harsh on them, and expect them to do better.
    Last edited by Deus Mortis; 2022-02-15 at 12:49 AM.

Not sure if this belongs here or in another thread as it deals with protests against mandates, there was a hack on one of the fundraising platforms(GiveSendGo) for the Trucker protest in Canada. If this needs to go elsewhere, please put it there as this can involve multiple threads.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/othe...?ocid=msedgntp

10+ Year Old Account
    It's likely that BA.2 is currently 10-20% of US cases and might be the majority of cases before the month is over; it's just that there is a considerable delay in CDC-reporting.
    Today, the CDC added the breakdown of omicron to their variant proportion tracking. Obviously, the previous two weeks are only "NOWCAST" estimates, so are less reliable, but they're currently at about 4% for BA.2.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

No, but that's what we saw.
    You didn't, you saw big crowds that were maskless - and most understood that it's 'one rule for us, one rule for them'.
    We have seen that mindset in Czechia, the UK, etc and it's corrosive to the public trust.

Others have understood it:
    Australia enforced the rules for tennis-players.
    Norway had their prime-minister apologize and getting a fine for breaking her own rules
    https://www.euronews.com/2021/04/09/...-s-covid-rules

Masks are intended to reduce risks - and the risks are high in large loud-mouthed crowds (which is why many countries don't allow these kind of events - just look at the "crowds" at the Olympics), so that's exactly the time they should have been wearing masks - whether they normally wear them outside is less important.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Today, the CDC added the breakdown of omicron to their variant proportion tracking. Obviously, the previous two weeks are only "NOWCAST" estimates, so are less reliable, but they're currently at about 4% for BA.2.
    Yes, but it also depends on the definition of "now" - as I understand the latest nowcast data from CDC is the week that ended 10 days ago.

I don't know why there's such a delay - it could be that most tests are quick-tests and people then send in some percentage for more detailed analysis for variants, and that adds a week or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but it also depends on the definition of "now" - as I understand the latest nowcast data from CDC is the week that ended 10 days ago.
    Eh, 9 days, since we're only just into the wee hours of the morning of the 15th here. But that also means it was only 7 days when you posted 10-20%. I doubt it'll jump from 3.6% to even the low end of that range when the update is made next week, but I'll allow that it could definitely happen. With cases slowing down right now, I think it'll take until the spring push in 2 months or so for BA.2 to really achieve its takeover of the original omicron in the US.

We'll see in time, I guess.

I don't know why there's such a delay - it could be that most tests are quick-tests and people then send in some percentage for more detailed analysis for variants, and that adds a week or so.
    It's more like a week to 3 weeks, as the NOWCAST time period (with relatively incomplete data) is another 2 weeks on top of the missing week.

That's government efficiency for you.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/poli...eth-van-duyne/

*fucking sigh*

The Death Cult continues their war on wearing masks, which is apparently the biggest restriction on their personal freedoms they've ever experienced and tantamount to what the Jews and other suffered during the Holocaust.

On Wednesday, the state of Texas and the congresswoman whose district includes Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport asked a federal court to strike down the mandate, arguing that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lacks authority and that its rule isn’t backed by science.
    We're 2 years in and people are still ignoring mountains of evidence on the efficacy of wearing masks to reduce transmission. These Death Cultists continued war on science and facts is going to keep this pandemic going for many years to come.

The US may not survive this pandemic, y'all.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're 2 years in and people are still ignoring mountains of evidence on the efficacy of wearing masks to reduce transmission. These Death Cultists continued war on science and facts is going to keep this pandemic going for many years to come.

The US may not survive this pandemic, y'all.
    Oh, c'mon now. Surely you must realize by now that when you wear a mask, you're only breathing in already-exhaled air, which will lead you to die a horrifying death from suffocation, right?

I mean, and if you follow that to the next conclusion, that means that doctors, who wear masks routinely as part of their daily work without dying, must not actually be human, right?

And then you realize that all high-level scientists are PhDs, which means they're doctors, which means they're also not human.

So naturally we can't listen to scientists tell us to wear masks! You're just falling into the alien lizard-people's trap!

Duh!

/s

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I mean, I get the mask mandates in large crowds and such, but I’m very much over them in schools, and my kids are as well. They even make the kids wear them outside during recess in the warmer months and during PE, and it’s honestly gotten to the point where I’ve spoken up about it in the town hall meetings here.

We’re at the point where we just have to accept that it’s not going away, even with mitigation protocols, and people need to be able to make their own choices on what they wanna do. If you want to wear a mask, wear one… if you don’t, don’t.
    Without masks in schools, kids are pretty much breathing down the neck of other kids all the time. I doubt schools can keep all kids six feet apart all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I mean, I get the mask mandates in large crowds and such, but I’m very much over them in schools, and my kids are as well. They even make the kids wear them outside during recess in the warmer months and during PE, and it’s honestly gotten to the point where I’ve spoken up about it in the town hall meetings here.

We’re at the point where we just have to accept that it’s not going away, even with mitigation protocols, and people need to be able to make their own choices on what they wanna do. If you want to wear a mask, wear one… if you don’t, don’t.
    So, the Drago school of medicine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Without masks in schools, kids are pretty much breathing down the neck of other kids all the time. I doubt schools can keep all kids six feet apart all the time.
    I am not sure what this is supposed to prove when even the CDC data show about 1,000 kids have died from Covid since Jan. 2020 age range 0-18.
    https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Deaths-by-...ears/xa4b-4pzv

The most current data I found shows that in 2016, 6 years ago, that deaths from Covid when compared are only 5% of the just over 20,000 total deaths ages 1-19 years old. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmsr1804754

Also @Edge how is it a death cult when only 0.106% of the worlds population has died from Covid. Even if we take only the US numbers into account how is 0.21% of the population dying in 2 years a "death cult"?

Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy1018 View Post
    I am not sure what this is supposed to prove when even the CDC data show about 1,000 kids have died from Covid since Jan. 2020 age range 0-18.
    https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Deaths-by-...ears/xa4b-4pzv

The most current data I found shows that in 2016, 6 years ago, that deaths from Covid when compared are only 5% of the just over 20,000 total deaths ages 1-19 years old. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmsr1804754

Also @Edge how is it a death cult when only 0.106% of the worlds population has died from Covid. Even if we take only the US numbers into account how is 0.21% of the population dying in 2 years a "death cult"?
    It's a death cult, because they are ignoring science and data... and siding with willful ignorance. That willful ignorance is leading to mote and more deaths.